• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully we can at least get some new characters for 3D World.

Well, this made me really want this to be a thing. I’m excited for the game regardless but that would be awesome if there were more unblockable characters. I feel like they definitely would have highlighted that in the trailer though.

SKX31

Smash Master
At least there they have the excuse of it being a handheld game, and those are always the red-haired stepchild of gaming.
It's a major shame too, since Nintendo could start porting GB / GBA games to NSO without many if any real issues at any moment. (And hell, the NSO would only benefit by having more games overall on the service.)

The Saga Final Fantasy Legend collection showed that it's fully feasible in the last Partner Showcase, with the Saga trilogy even having an UI that directly references the Game Boy.

So, like, can this version of SM64 be speedrun well?

Because regardless of how iconic SM64 is, the main reason it was kept alive in the modern era was due to how fun it was to speedrun, and a version without BLJs seems to be a yikes from me.
I shared a video of a SM64 Shindou speedrun (the '97 JP rerelease with Rumble Pak accessibility, where the BLJ was removed) here, It not only has Mario wall kicking on thin air, but also other insane tricks like really, really precise frame perfect wall-kicks in seemingly random places in order to build up enough speed (since frame perfect wall kicks also build speed) and get past the 30 star door (at the 5:45 mark).

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Mario RPGs aren't your typical turn based games though. They have much more engaging combat due to the action commands so I can see why non-RPG fans would like them. I don't think that's even that unpopular of an opinion tbh... cough videogamedunkey cough
Okay, it doesn't change the fact I flat out know Geno fanatics that refuse to play SMRPG because your method of attack is a menu.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I feel like trying to connect a fanbase with bandwagoning simply doesn't work at all. like, you dont personally know any of these fans, you dont know what they truly are like, so you simply cant reduce their want for a character as bandwagoning since again, you dont know them. Are there people out there who fit the description of a bandwagoner, maybe but theres not much of a point in thinking about it.
I mean again, there are actual case studies on this, and yes that includes fanbases. I'm not saying that's the Geno fanbase because that's impossible to quantify right now, but it's still a known phenomenon.

You know how like there are experiments where people line up for nothing and as time goes on, more people will line up just because there's a line? Or how if you ask for the autograph of someone that isn't actually famous in public, more people in hearing distance will do the same even though they have no idea who this person is? It's like that, only to a larger scale and with the help of social media and parasocial relationships. A sort of "hype tribalism" if you will.

And I know anecdotes don't mean much, but as I just responded to someone else, I 100% know Geno bandwagoners. I also know bandwagoners of other characters. Hype can be infectious, but sometimes it can get to a point where you're essentially fooling yourself into wanting something based on your environment. That's hardly something limited to media.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I can’t say these announcements encourage me to turn on my switch.
Seem like the same games I’ve played before.
The home circuit reveal was probably the most interesting reveal they made.

Personally I wouldn’t say this looks good for Geno or Waluigi, but you never know. You have a Mario themed event and even Sonic managed to make an appearance, but smrpg is no where to be found.
Although every Mario rpg series seems to have been ignored entirely so it may not be a big deal.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean again, there are actual case studies on this, and yes that includes fanbases. I'm not saying that's the Geno fanbase because that's impossible to quantify right now, but it's still a known phenomenon.

You know how like there are experiments where people line up for nothing and as time goes on, more people will line up just because there's a line? Or how if you ask for the autograph of someone that isn't actually famous in public, more people in hearing distance will do the same even though they have no idea who this person is? It's like that, only to a larger scale and with the help of social media and parasocial relationships. A sort of "hype tribalism" if you will.

And I know anecdotes don't mean much, but as I just responded to someone else, I 100% know Geno bandwagoners. I also know bandwagoners of other characters. Hype can be infectious, but sometimes it can get to a point where you're essentially fooling yourself into wanting something based on your environment. That's hardly something limited to media.
Dude, the conversation has moved on. You don't have to respond to people from 5+ pages ago.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't see how the lack of Mario rpg hints Geno or anything. The event was about the main Super Mario franchise, not any spin-off was shown aside from the Mario kart tour thing which is arguably more a toy than a real game.

Personally I feel like both Waluigi and Geno's chance are still low. Both comes from spin-off who have pretty much nothing to do with was celebrate today (sports games for Waluigi and RPG for Geno). Also we never had character chosen for anniversary so it doesn't seems that likely imo.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we get an actual spirit event for it yeah.

Otherwise it seems like there just isn't one.
Guess there might not be any specific reason why we didn't get anything Tuesday.

It wasn't the best grounds for a new character anyway. At least if this happens again, we'll know better.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Guess there might not be any specific reason why we didn't get anything Tuesday.

It wasn't the best grounds for a new character anyway. At least if this happens again, we'll know better.
I mean, it was, let's not try for any revisionist history here.

Looking back, the only times this has happened in the past, was on the weeks of new characters being revealed. I feel like considering this had been consistent for what, 6-7 characters now, this stopped being just a "Fan pattern" and something to actually look into. This is the first time something has happened and just not came from it.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, before we also didn't get character showcases on Monday

So this might be something new, Perhaps we might get an announcement for Something on Monday, Perhaps FP7 releases that same day, and then on Tuesday whatever was suppose to happen this week gets bumped up to next week tuesday

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
On the lack of an event this week, it's possible that dev support is winding down for Ult. Obviously there is a lot of DLC left and that events don't take up a ton of dev time. But they still take some dev work, and art team work, and twitter announcements, and if it's a new set of spirits that requires licensing plus more work. We might see weeks without stuff in the future.

Again, just a possibility.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So is The Legend of Zelda series but most people (myself included) separate things into a bin of True RPGs vs "RPGs"
Um, what? No it's not. I mean, you could argue that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has light RPG elements if you were to stretch it a bit but the series otherwise has nothing to do with the genre.

The Paper Mario: Sticker Star trilogy on the other hand is built up using RPG mechanics as the foundation. Even the Adventure genre's mechanics are woven into the RPG mechanics rather than the other way around. Granted, they gutted the progression system which is what makes RPGs work so they're awful, but they're still RPGs.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Looking back, the only times this has happened in the past, was on the weeks of new characters being revealed. I feel like considering this had been consistent for what, 6-7 characters now, this stopped being just a "Fan pattern" and something to actually look into. This is the first time something has happened and just not came from it.
It's only happened twice where we get no event, the weeks Hero and Byleth released respectfully.

Every character reveal (not counting Joker, but the game itself wasn't out yet when that happened) and every other character release had a spirit board event or online tourney happen.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know, before we also didn't get character showcases on Monday

So this might be something new, Perhaps we might get an announcement for Something on Monday, Perhaps FP7 releases that same day, and then on Tuesday whatever was suppose to happen this week gets bumped up to next week tuesday
there is maintenance on the 14th, so i think FP7 may release then and be announced next monday

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

If it really was a good basis for getting a new character, we would've gotten one.

Point is, this alone was not a good enough reason for people to put all of their eggs in one basket. Plus, this hadn't happened with every DLC character. The pattern may have been kept alive across multiple characters, but Byleth was sandwiched in between two Spirit Events; there was a tournament right before Min Min.

If we got absolutely nothing before all the DLC characters, this might've been more significant. Personally though, I think this was more of a coincidence than anything.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
there is maintenance on the 14th, so i think FP7 may release then and be announced next monday
Isn't that General Eshop Maintenance though. Smash I Believe usually get their own separate maintenance and stuff, though it could fall on the same day.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isn't that General Eshop Maintenance though. Smash I Believe usually get their own separate maintenance and stuff, though it could fall on the same day.
those general eshop maintenances usually coincide with smash if a character is dropped. i recall it was that way for joker and min min at least

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Does anyone else think they'll reveal characters in their own character presentations from now on? Kind of like Byleth and Min Min?

I.D.

Smash Lord
If it really was a good basis for getting a new character, we would've gotten one.

Point is, this alone was not a good enough reason for people to put all of their eggs in one basket. Plus, this hadn't happened with every DLC character. The pattern may have been kept alive across multiple characters, but Byleth was sandwiched in between two Spirit Events; there was a tournament right before Min Min.

If we got absolutely nothing before all the DLC characters, this might've been more significant. Personally though, I think this was more of a coincidence than anything.
Who put all their eggs in one basket? We were discussing yesterday that a shadowdrop of something seemed likely based on a number of factors and you were just dismissing us the whole time. Now you're here pretending we were in the wrong all along just because one of the multiple potential shadowdrops we theorized about didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom