• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What's the situation in Japan though? I could imagine it getting worse in the U.S., but are they being more careful in Japan? Is it already better?
Japan was doing very well, keyword being WAS, people with political power said they needed to open up again for the economy, I don't think I need to explain the consequenced about that.

Also I saw Lloyd discussion and Lloyd would be ok. Dropped his game a few days ago because it was getting hella tedious without fantastic writing and characters to make me want to see more, so clearly we need Velvet instead

D

Deleted member

I wonder how annoyed SNK fans get every time someone claims that Terry was only picked because Sakurai picked him, and not because of the developers' long history and success.
Aww, now I sound stupid.

I have Metal Slug X, and I think SNK was quite successful. I am not denying this history and success, I promise.

I need to think before I post.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wonder how annoyed SNK fans get every time someone claims that Terry was only picked because Sakurai liked him, and not because of the developers' long history and success.
Reasons characters are picked for Smash:
  1. They have absolutely nothing going for them except promotion
  2. They have absolutely nothing going for them except Sakurai bias
  3. They are popular on an online forum I frequent so Sakurai had no other choice

D

Deleted member

3. They are popular on an online forum I frequent so Sakurai had no other choice
Wait Calamitas Calamitas and everyone else, understand my point please.

I really loved the Terry reveal, I find him quite charming, I promise I am not degrading him at all.

I just think hey, he is succesful and Sakurai really liked him, so that is where my mind went.

I apologize to all SNK fans for my embarrassing mistake, I appreciate and acknowledge the success of SNK. I understand I posted something stupid and wrong there.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Wait Calamitas Calamitas and everyone else, understand my point please.

I really loved the Terry reveal, I find him quite charming, I promise I am not degrading him at all.

I just think hey, he is succesful and Sakurai really liked him, so that is where my mind went.

I apologize to all SNK fans for my embarrassing mistake, I appreciate and acknowledge the success of SNK. I understand I posted something stupid and wrong there.
Pretty sure osby wasn't talking about you in particular there anymore, and rather about people who do actually follow that kinda logic in general.

D

Deleted member

Pretty sure osby wasn't talking about you in particular there anymore, and rather about people who do actually follow that kinda logic in general.
Really? Please do not assume I am a Smash fan who hates SNK, I heavily respect and adore SNK. I have Metal Slug X, and I am really happy for Terry.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Really? Please do not assume I am a Smash fan who hates SNK, I heavily respect and adore SNK. I have Metal Slug X, and I am really happy for Terry.
And for the record, I wasn't walking about you in particular, either. It's just a general thing I've noticed that people tend to dismiss Terry as a Sakurai pick and nothing else.

D

Deleted member

And for the record, I wasn't walking about you in particular, either. It's just a general thing I've noticed that people tend to dismiss Terry as a Sakurai pick and nothing else.
Oh, I understand.

Trust me, I love Terry and I respect SNK's history and success.

Edit: The reason I thought Terry was a Sakurai pick was because he had a lot of cool stuff in Smash, such as the songs and the nice stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
So, we'll know hopefully soon if there is an actual Direct coming... OR it's just Mario HD.

We got 3 named leakers who are **** sure of themselves that Mario HD is getting shown off today, so if nothing else, there's that... but just Mario HD wouldn't excuse the bizarre absence of the Smash event.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Joker only got in because Sakurai had a Persona bias. :troll:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm seeing places double down on a Mario Anniversary reveal being imminent. Not really seeing word of if it'll be alongside other announcements like the next Smash character but one thing's for sure.
If there's nothing, we're going to be screaming, "Maarriooooo, where aaaarrrre yoooouuu?" like Luigi here.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm seeing places double down on a Mario Anniversary reveal being imminent. Not really seeing word of if it'll be alongside other announcements like the next Smash character but one thing's for sure.
If there's nothing, we're going to be screaming, "Maarriooooo, where aaaarrrre yoooouuu?" like Luigi here.
I'm honestly starting to think this Mario collection is it to be honest.

I'm still confused as hell as to "Where's the Smash event", but maybe they're really just making a BIG ****ing deal about this and want the Smash event to be hyper Mario focused? Maybe they really want "Mario 35th" to be secret?

Who knows, we'll know soon enough.

SKX31

Smash Master
I wonder how annoyed SNK fans get every time someone claims that Terry was only picked because Sakurai picked him, and not because of the developers' long history and success.
It's worth noting that 37 Games outright emphasized SNK's very large legacy when 37 - together with Orient Secirities, a Shanghai-based investment bank - used OS' subsidiary Zheyuan Culture to acquire another subsidiary called Ledo Millenium, and they in turn used Ledo to acquire SNK (Zhuge also posted a Chinese corporate branch tree pic in the twitter thread showing SNK's current position, and holy **** it's complicated). With 37 stating that the classic KOF games (especially KOF 97) were a key reason for the buyout.

One thing's for sure though: they've gotten insane RoI (return of investment) out of those $63.5 million it cost to aquire 81,25 % (Eikichi Kawasaki, the founder's, share) of SNK.

(Sidenote: It's here the original confusion re: Leyou - the owners of Digital Extreme / Warframe - came from. I'll admit I fell for it originally. Leyou was close to buying out Ledo, but that never fully came through. Thusly, Leyou's not connected to SNK).

Don’t forget that Joker’s also just Tuxedo Marth.
Ah, so that explains why he has stupidly good follow ups from grabs and why his dashdancing is out of this world. :4pacman:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm honestly starting to think this Mario collection is it to be honest.

I'm still confused as hell as to "Where's the Smash event", but maybe they're really just making a BIG ****ing deal about this and want the Smash event to be hyper Mario focused? Maybe they really want "Mario 35th" to be secret?

Who knows, we'll know soon enough.
The Mario 35th is a poorly kept secret. Beyond the rumours we've had all year basically, we've got Lego Mario, Mario branded Puma sneakers, new Mario Jenga, new Mario Hot Wheels and an anniversary Mario Monopoly. Doesn't take a lot to think a game is coming with all that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The Mario 35th is a poorly kept secret. Beyond the rumours we've had all year basically, we've got Lego Mario, Mario branded Puma sneakers and an anniversary Mario Monopoly. Doesn't take a lot to think a game is coming with all that.
Yeah, but a poorly kept secret is still a secret to Nintendo.

If we are getting a shadow-dropped Direct tomorrow, my one hangup is, would this be 'enough' to fill out its entire run time? Like, the rumor is it's 3 games, and while they may look nice, they're all 10+ year old games at this point. There's also the rumor of 3D World coming to Switch, so I guess that could come alongside it?

It's weird. I feel like something's coming, but I also feel like nothing's coming at the same time. The evidence points to something, but the leakers are only saying a single thing.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Yeah, but a poorly kept secret is still a secret to Nintendo.

If we are getting a shadow-dropped Direct tomorrow, my one hangup is, would this be 'enough' to fill out its entire run time? Like, the rumor is it's 3 games, and while they may look nice, they're all 10+ year old games at this point. There's also the rumor of 3D World coming to Switch, so I guess that could come alongside it?

It's weird. I feel like something's coming, but I also feel like nothing's coming at the same time. The evidence points to something, but the leakers are only saying a single thing.
It might not necessarily even be a Direct. Could be very well just be a trailer. That might seem a bit unceremonious but we should not get too hung up on whether or not we get something with the Direct branding.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, it's not like there aren't enough other things "build up" to fill out a more first-party focussed Mini Direct. The 3D World port is still coming like you mentioned, Breath of the Wild 2 has been popping up on online retailers, there's still rumblings about a 2D Metroid coming, a new Smash reveal could be in there, and to venture out into non first-party stuff for a moment, there's still Bravely Default 2 (which according to some insiders was supposed to have its release date revealed already a while ago), Bayonetta 3 and No More Heroes 3. Not saying that any of these are absolutely guaranteed - the lead-up to the Partner Showcases has shown that that's a pretty bad idea - but they could be threre.

Shroob

Sup?
It might not necessarily even be a Direct. Could be very well just be a trailer. That might seem a bit unceremonious but we should not get too hung up on whether or not we get something with the Direct branding.
Like, I agree, and am personally starting to feel that way

But then you have the two outstanding pieces of evidence in the Direct Directory being updated, and the Smash Event. The Smash Event, I guess could be held back to tie it into Mario 35, but the Directory is very strange.

And frankly put, if the 35 isn't in a Direct, then I don't see us getting one period, that'd seem kinda odd to not reveal that in a Direct and then just have one later, you know?

I.D.

Smash Lord
The Mario 35th is a poorly kept secret. Beyond the rumours we've had all year basically, we've got Lego Mario, Mario branded Puma sneakers, new Mario Jenga, new Mario Hot Wheels and an anniversary Mario Monopoly. Doesn't take a lot to think a game is coming with all that.
And the Mario chocolate eggs! Don't forget about those
mario kinder.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What is also perfect is the timing.

We got Banjo-Kazooie and Hero in 2019 June.

We got Terry in 2019 early September.

Min Min was revealed to be the fighter in 2019 June.

Plus with no tournament/spirit event, and the whole leak situation, I say a direct is very likely happening, and we will get our Smash reveal soon.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, it's not like there aren't enough other things "build up" to fill out a more first-party focussed Mini Direct. The 3D World port is still coming like you mentioned, Breath of the Wild 2 has been popping up on online retailers, there's still rumblings about a 2D Metroid coming, a new Smash reveal could be in there, and to venture out into non first-party stuff for a moment, there's still Bravely Default 2 (which according to some insiders was supposed to have its release date revealed already a while ago), Bayonetta 3 and No More Heroes 3. Not saying that any of these are absolutely guaranteed - the lead-up to the Partner Showcases has shown that that's a pretty bad idea - but they could be threre.
Thing is though, if any of this were coming, don't you think Insiders would be slightly aware of any of it?

Because the ones who are willing to talk have gone on and on about Mario 35, but absolutely nothing else to speak of. This is the main thing that gives me pause about more big stuff tomorrow(Not saying HD isn't big mind you). Everyone seems very united on HD being shown off tomorrow, but for anything else? Dead silence.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Thing is though, if any of this were coming, don't you think Insiders would be slightly aware of any of it?

Because the ones who are willing to talk have gone on and on about Mario 35, but absolutely nothing else to speak of. This is the main thing that gives me pause about more big stuff tomorrow(Not saying HD isn't big mind you). Everyone seems very united on HD being shown off tomorrow, but for anything else? Dead silence.
I recall Grubb saying something about more titles in September. But that could just be the next partner showcase.

Shroob

Sup?
I recall Grubb saying something about more titles in September. But that could just be the next partner showcase.
That's kinda what I'm getting at.

Like, were it not for the two aforementioned pieces of evidence happening coincidentally, I'd imagine most people would be more or less resigned to a shadow drop of just 35 tomorrow since that's literally all the people yakking have talked about, it's those 2 pieces of evidence that give people pause to think there 'could' be more, but by now, at least one of the leakers would have said something it feels like.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

I mean, insiders have been pretty blindsided by what Nintendo's been doing since July. I wouldn't put it past them.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm going into today with extreme caution.

Insiders seem convinced 'something' is coming, and we have evidence that 'suggests' something is coming.

But it could also be nothing.

I've legit never felt this unsure about a potential reveal before.
I want to say the same but it also feels similar to any other drought mixed with insider talk.

D

Deleted member

Insiders seem convinced 'something' is coming, and we have evidence that 'suggests' something is coming.

I say it is best to have hope.

The stars heavily align with a Smash reveal in my opinion, and I am very confident we will get a reveal either today or in a week.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Well, either there's something at the end of this tunnel or all of Nintendo's twitter interns decided to take the day off

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Never mind, seems as though Ryce never leaked Plant or Cloud. I was wondering where that came from.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, either there's something at the end of this tunnel or all of Nintendo's twitter interns decided to take the day off
Doesn't Nintendo just sometimes not post anything on their Twitter?

You'd think this would give the slightest bit of credence but I've seen a ton of people pass it off as "They'll go quiet one day and then post like nothing happened the next".

I.D.

Smash Lord
Doesn't Nintendo just sometimes not post anything on their Twitter?

You'd think this would give the slightest bit of credence but I've seen a ton of people pass it off as "They'll go quiet one day and then post like nothing happened the next".
Yeah but, none of their accounts have posted anything since September 1st. Nintendo's Japanese account? Nothing. NoA? Nope. NoE? Nada. Nintendo Versus? We're all aware by now there's no Smash event this week. It's eyebrow raising at least.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah but, none of their accounts have posted anything since September 1st. Nintendo's Japanese account? Nothing. NoA? Nope. NoE? Nada. Nintendo Versus? We're all aware by now there's no Smash event this week. It's eyebrow raising at least.
NoE did post, didn't they? They did that Origami King post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom