• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Apparently, either Super Mario RPG is coming to NSO, leakers are screwing with Geno's fanbase again, or Grubb just wants SMRPG on NSO.
Probably the latter. lol

Though I could see Nintendo wanting to draw attention to Super Mario RPG specifically if they brought it over, even if there isn't a reason beyond it being a 3rd party title.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

7NATOR

Smash Master
Apparently, either Super Mario RPG is coming to NSO, leakers are screwing with Geno's fanbase again, or Grubb just wants SMRPG on NSO.
I will say the game has to come to NSO Eventually, it is kinda weird that it's been absent. I don't think this means they are saving it for when they reveal Geno or anything. Though if Geno was added to advertise to Nintendo Switch Online, would he be an Advertisement character?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm mostly banking on the "new worlds" quote largely being a mistranslation. If this actually means we can only get completely unrepresented games and franchises, that will not justify spending less time on the base game newcomers. Besides, they technically don't have to reach out to new properties to develop unique characters.
It was literally said by Reggie at The Game Awards though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Speculation should follow trends until subverted. Even then, subversions are usually rare. Right now each Challengers Pack comes with a coherent vision. So I will assume that is the case until shown otherwise.

Each pack seeems to be designed as a crossover of some kind. I brought it up before, but at the end of every Fighters Pass trailer they show "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Persona 5" or "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × ARMS"

This is why I said that I strongly believe each fighter will be from a series that does not have a stage/fighter or a game that does not have a stage/fighter. Forget the abiguous and mistranslated "new worlds" statement. Just look at how they are handling the Fighters Pass so far.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The irony of the entire "new worlds" statement is that it's entirely dubtext. Sakurai's original statement was closer to just discussing generally expanding the world of Smash, which is done whenever any character is added.

Putting that aside, it really doesn't seem like Sakurai cares too much about the novelty of and distinction between the base game content and DLC content from the Fighter's Pass. While he obviously wants to give people new things, the fact that Three Houses music can be used on the other Fire Emblem stages and the presence of the base game ARMS spirits in Min Min's board shows that Sakurai's fine with letting content from different waves mingle when it makes sense. Therefore, I can't really see why it would be an issue if a pack focused on a series or game that already has healthy representation in the roster.
Wow turns out a fan-rule pattern thing ends up being nonsense!

Look, im not saying the likes Bandanna Dee and Dixie are shoo ins (god no but i wish), but people should consider that idea of use only getting brand new unrepresented universes, while likely, is not guarantee. People though we were gonna get only third parties, they were wrong. People thought that spirits were not getting promoted, they were wrong. etc.

People talking Zelda characters and no one brings up the obvious best choice!

No worries though, you'll all learn eventually!
Nah. I rather double dip on the King Pig.

Yeah **** that.
Imagine adding a second character to one game in a decades long running franchise because you messed up the first time and then justifying it with "eh people will be mad anyways"
How about we actually add a character from a different IP or at least a character from a different damn game.

I swear we are one step away from people asking for FF7Remake Cloud.
I have to agree on this.

While i dislike FF's (lack of) content in the game, spending extra time on an extra FF7 character JUST to gives us what should have been in the base roster is ludicrous.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
What better way to stir up some fun than bringing up the game which holds the most slippery-slope character in all of Smash history.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It was literally said by Reggie at The Game Awards though.
No he said something else. I think it was something like the DLC characters would be new to the series or something, which doesn't mean anything since it could mean anything from their series is new to literally just, they are a newcomer.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
im reminded a month ago when "insiders" went into the geno thread hinting he was the next dlc character and thread reaction was literally

and then the direct partner mini was announced lol
I have never seen something that so accurately represents Geno supporters.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Still waiting for the day an AT gets upgraded in the same game, it's bound to happen eventually, if not this game. But no matter how many rules are broken, speculators will continue to make new ones.
I mean Personally, as someone who's been bound by the AT rule, I actually don't mind if people create rules and such. I think the problem is that the word "rule" means it's set in stone, and that some people don't really discuss the intricacies of the characters affected by the rule and just state "NO AT's" or "No Spirits (before Min-Min was a thing") without any sort Full discussion on the characters merits and stuff

Since we don't really truly know the intricacies of how Nintendo/Sakurai chooses characters for DLC, I think these "rules" set a boundary that hasn't been shaken yet. When Speculating hundred's of characters, we could use these precedence, these "Rules" to Kinda help narrow down characters in terms of preceded likelihood. It's not like the characters affected by the fan rules are deconfirmed, it's just that it's beneficial for characters not affected by it, and that could be added to a character's merit of their chances being playable.

I feel if people said the "AT Rule" Hurts the character chances instead of the "Rule" Deocnfirming, i don't think it would be as much of an issue. That's just what i think anyway

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What better way to stir up some fun than bringing up the game which holds the most slippery-slope character in all of Smash history.
Yeah. I hope they never re-release Super Mario RPG. If that happens, then Geno will be in Smash, the world will get desensitized to creepy puppets, the puppets become more unassuming, which means that ghosts will be able to inhabit them without detection. Sooner or later, we'll be looking at heck on Earth. Mark my words.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In b4 Geno fans takes this as a hint to Geno being the next fighter.
Actually, I think I found one:
Suuuure it was...

When all these insiders start talking about SMRPG, it's just a joke or what they want, even if some of them never talked about it until very recently.

Grubb does mention it often though.
Though it seems more like it's making an observation, given that one time all those insiders randomly started tweeting about Geno. Did we ever figure out what that was?

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Speculation should follow trends until subverted. Even then, subversions are usually rare. Right now each Challengers Pack comes with a coherent vision. So I will assume that is the case until shown otherwise.

Each pack seeems to be designed as a crossover of some kind. I brought it up before, but at the end of every Fighters Pass trailer they show "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Persona 5" or "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × ARMS"

This is why I said that I strongly believe each fighter will be from a series that does not have a stage/fighter or a game that does not have a stage/fighter. Forget the abiguous and mistranslated "new worlds" statement. Just look at how they are handling the Fighters Pass so far.
All 3rd parties are "crossovers" and have been since Sm4sh - this isn't something new.

Piranha Plant and Byleth were not crossovers as their series are already represented. Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo were the same stories with Sm4sh (albeit they were old characters from previous titles).

cosmicB

Smash Ace

I think it's important to note that the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x ______" is always an individual game and not a series. Even Hero, representing 4 different games, still gets "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Dragon Quest XI", and specifically the (at the time) Switch exclusive definitive edition.

Now how would that work for characters with no real single product associated with them like Waluigi? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Mario Tennis? It doesn't really work.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think it's important to note that the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x ______" is always an individual game and not a series. Even Hero, representing 4 different games, still gets "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Dragon Quest XI", and specifically the (at the time) Switch exclusive definitive edition.

Now how would that work for characters with no real single product associated with them like Waluigi? Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Mario Tennis? It doesn't really work.
I guess they could do "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Waluigi" After all, they did the same thing with Atlair and Vault Boy, and if M Theory is correct, they probably would have to do the same thing with an M Rated Character (X Dante, X Master Chief, X Scorpion).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I guess they could do "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Waluigi" After all, they did the same thing with Atlair and Vault Boy, and if M Theory is correct, they probably would have to do the same thing with an M Rated Character (X Dante, X Master Chief, X Scorpion).
I doubt it. Aside from the fact that fighters need to bring stages, songs, and a Spirit Board with them, I don't see why a series name would be excluded just for being a M rated title when we have SSBU X Persona 5. Something like Mortal Kombat or Devil May Cry, I could understand, but Doom is generally a silly word that cartoon villain use a lot and I can't see why something like Nier: Automata or Halo would have to be censored. We wouldn't get a pack that is just Waluigi unless it's a bonus pack.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Or, you know, they could just say precedents be darned and do "Super Smash Bros. X Super Mario" or "Super Smash Bros. X Mario Kart" or whatever. Or if there's a new Mario Kart game coming then "Super Smash Bros. X Mario Kart 9". Besides, ARMS is the name of both the game and the series, so they've technically already broke this precedent. It's not that big of a deal. At the very least, they're not gonna not include a character because the tagline doesn't fit tradition. That'd be stupid.

EDIT: I should rephrase this to be a little less mean. If Nintendo wanted to add a character, something like an abnormal tagline wouldn't stop them because it's not a significant enough problem, especially since they aren't prevented from using the same format; they just have to go with a series instead of a single game.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I've already noted that the crossover is either for a single game or entire series that does not have a stage or fighter.

Wow turns out a fan-rule pattern thing ends up being nonsense!

Look, im not saying the likes Bandanna Dee and Dixie are shoo ins (god no but i wish), but people should consider that idea of use only getting brand new unrepresented universes, while likely, is not guarantee. People though we were gonna get only third parties, they were wrong. People thought that spirits were not getting promoted, they were wrong. etc.
I wouldn't as far as saying unrepresented universes but certainly unrepresented games. For example, Geno is from Super Mario RPG. That game takes place in Mario's world, so it is not a new world or universe. But it is a game that doesn't have music, or a stage, or very many Spirits. Just by being added as a fighter, Geno would inherently bring a ton of new things to Smash.

The same can't be said for someone like Bandana Dee. He does not inherently bring any new content. He would only bring content that is arbitrarily associated with him. There is no particular game that you can point to and say "Ah yes, if Bandana Dee was added we'll be getting this stuff." People always say there's a lack of modern Kirby content, which is true. But Bandana Dee would not inherently bring modern Kirby stuff the same way Geno would inherently bring Super Mario RPG stuff.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys are taking Reggie and Sakurai's words way too seriously.

Reggie said we're going to get characters new to the series, he didn't say anything about new worlds. And by virtue of all the veterans already being in the game, it's impossible to not get new characters at this point. People will probably try to read into the statement to infer he means characters without any role whatsoever, but that's projecting your interpretation on something which might not carry the same meaning.

Plus, he was only talking about the first pass there.

Now, Sakurai said he wanted to add as many new worlds as possible. Maybe. it also could've been a mistranslation. But even if it wasn't, you can't be so rigidly literal with what he means to suggest existing worlds can't and won't show up as well. Fire Emblem did, ARMS did. If you're being super literal and unnecessarily pedantic, those aren't "new worlds".

The intent of both statements is just that Smash will continue to branch out and add new characters and new series. And it has. If you're taking it to mean there wouldn't be existing series which got DLC, that everything would be a world never before seen in Smash, you're reading too much into it.

Look past the specific phrasing and focus on what's actually transpired.

Super Smash Bros. x Super Mario

It's not that complicated.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I doubt it. Aside from the fact that fighters need to bring stages, songs, and a Spirit Board with them, I don't see why a series name would be excluded just for being a M rated title when we have SSBU X Persona 5. Something like Mortal Kombat or Devil May Cry, I could understand, but Doom is generally a silly word that cartoon villain use a lot and I can't see why something like Nier: Automata or Halo would have to be censored. We wouldn't get a pack that is just Waluigi unless it's a bonus pack.
That's the thing though, the Whole M theory thing would mean that Doom, Nier, and Halo would have to be censored. the thing with Persona is that it was before the "Changes to ESRB" the apparently happened, with stuff like the logo which used to be shown on Fighter Passes were removed after some time

So in the U.S, we would just get SSBU X 2B, or SSBU X Master Chief. Of course that's if you believe the theory though. If you don't, then forget all of this was said

ZelDan

Smash Master
If SMRPG was actually coming to NSO, would Jeff Grubb actually just outright say that or spoil it?

I don't really follow the guy and never really knew about him until sometimes months ago so I'm not super familiar with him, but I dunno, I'm guessing he's just wishing or making a "gee, I would like this to happen" sort of post. Those are the vibes I'm getting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This reminds me of the argument that they couldn't use the B.F.G. because someone could tell a child what the acronym stands for. As long as the series name isn't NSFW (and none of the one's we're looking at are because that's usually a turn off) then it should be fine.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If SMRPG was actually coming to NSO, would Jeff Grubb actually just outright say that or spoil it?

I don't really follow the guy and never really knew about him until sometimes months ago so I'm not super familiar with him, but I dunno, I'm guessing he's just wishing or making a "gee, I would like this to happen" sort of post. Those are the vibes I'm getting.
I'm pretty sure he did this last time Geno was being hyped up, he literally said he was playing the game when he made a cheeky joke about it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Projection. I've never said anything like this and always err on the side of caution. I tend to look at smash speculation with more than a grain of salt to be honest. I've found myself pushing back against fan rules recently as it seems to control, suppress, and even kill discussions if you dare question the authority of it.

I've responded to you a handful of times here in this thread. Unfortunately this is not how many see speculation. And while I can respect the idea that we're basically trying to narrow down or change the theory over time, it will inevitably end up being non-sensible and irrational given the characters we've gotten from game to game over the past 20 years. Sakurai, while a great game developer and patron of Nintendo, likes to go against the grain and expectations, even his own thoughts, ideas, and statements. He's even gone as far to include blindside picks to subvert expectations. Even the "rational" choices. He often defies beliefs and as we put it, the fan rules. I don't have a problem with trying to rationalize the upcoming characters. I have a problem with people behaving poorly when having discussions about speculation - not that anyone's really done this that I've responded to, it just happens a lot.

I'll put it this way. Through the many years of speculation that we've seen with Smash. People can get authoritarian and suppress discussions simply because of popular rationalizations. And when fan rules that have been established for so long, are broken, people just widen or close the goal posts, conveniently at that. There are people who could use some humility with something as silly as smash speculation. It gets tiresome.

In what way? Are we including PP? What is the framework for DLC choices because I think every single one of them except Byleth basically broke molds that people speculated about.

That's the thing. I can even agree with a lot of the logic going into this speculation, but I feel like it's an easy trap to fall into thinking there's even a "model" at all. Sakurai will continue to suprise and turn people's heads upside as long as he's able to. I've seen people be wrong so many times about popular ideas/rules and I've been wrong so many times that it's impossible for me to put too much faith in any mold, model, framework, rule established by the fans, or even rules established by Sakurai lol. If you go from 64--->Melee--->Brawl--->Sm4sh--->Ultimate, you can see that the surprises just keep on coming. Some of the "normal" entries into today's modern smash weren't so normal at the time.

And if there is some predictable framework (which I'm currently not seeing), and it ends up actually being correct. I think that'll be the strangest thing that could occur.

EDIT: in case anyone gets fired up over this, I mean no ill will.
1) I don't think that anybody is applying this "new worlds" theory to previous Smash games, as it was relevant to Ultimate DLC. Though, I'm sure you're aware. There's also the fact that Sakurai is not the only one making decisions- Nintendo has a hand in the decision-making process, potentially heavier than they ever have before.

2) The concept of "rules" as it exists in the Smash fanbase is essentially constructed by the people who insist rules are "bad". The people who create the "rules" hardly enforce them as such. As for myself, I see a pattern in the DLC and I base my prediction. I have not said that anybody else has to, nor has anybody else suggested such.

3) Piranha Plant isn't part of the Fighters Pass, so no, I would not include them in any dissection of Fighter Pass Volume 1. The framework, as I suggested it, was that each brought a "new world" as has been suggested by folks here. It still fits the other translation of "expanding the world of Smash" anyway. Within Volume 1 and Min Min, each character is from a new game or series crossing over into Smash.

4) You again mention "rules" as if they are being used in an authoritarian way, yet I've not seen that happening with this rule or any other rule that people complain about.
---
I'm just gonna say again that I think people who complain more about "rules" are making it out to be this incredibly oppressive concept when pretty much nobody here has suggested that one must restrain their predictions based on said "rule"...at least I'm not saying that. A convincing argument might help, rather than complaining about rules that aren't being enforced in some authoritarian way. RetroBro RetroBro I'm not referring to you here, I appreciate the discussion. I just feel the focus on "rules" is overblown when my speculation is just as valid as the next person.

There's a reason why some ideas catch on and others don't- and that's by folks making a compelling case for something. The idea that "new worlds" could be a continued focus is not just accepted because a dude made a long essay post. "New worlds" is convincing to people because they've seen it in Volume 1 and see the thought process.

My recommendation- if somebody wants to dispel the "rules" of mascot/protagonist first, or "new worlds" as a concept, propose a convincing argument rather than just, "It doesn't mean anything" or "Sakurai does what he wants". Neither of those are actual arguments, and much of the reason the discussion doesn't shift one way or another is because it doesn't refute anything.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I could this being big or meaning literally nothing.

On the one hand, it makes a ton of sense to reveal a SMRPG port with Geno. Announce him, then follow it up by saying "By the way, we're adding Super Mario RPG to Nintendo Switch Online! Experience Geno in his home series before he joins Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in September!". Plus, Grubb was already teasing Geno before the July Partner Showcase that everyone thought would be a full Direct, so it would make sense that he'd resume his teasing on the eve of a new Direct.

On the other hand, Grubb is a noted fan of SMRPG, so it could really just be him wishlisting. Plus, the addition of SMRPG to SNES Online is far from a guarantee of Geno. Does it help his chances? Absolutely, but there's no guarantee that its sufficient. This is also a very, very direct hint, slightly tempting fate that the Nintenjas don't knock on Grubb's door. Then again, I also thought Zhuge's ARMS poll was too direct a hint for Min Min and I was pretty wrong on that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's the thing though, the Whole M theory thing would mean that Doom, Nier, and Halo would have to be censored. the thing with Persona is that it was before the "Changes to ESRB" the apparently happened, with stuff like the logo which used to be shown on Fighter Passes were removed after some time

So in the U.S, we would just get SSBU X 2B, or SSBU X Master Chief. Of course that's if you believe the theory though. If you don't, then forget all of this was said
Ya'know, if this were true, wouldn't Metal Gear, Persona 5, and Bayonetta have to be censored retroactively though?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Demoman voice That was a joke lads
This reminds me of the argument that they couldn't use the B.F.G. because someone could tell a child what the acronym stands for. As long as the series name isn't NSFW (and none of the one's we're looking at are because that's usually a turn off) then it should be fine.
Yeah, what you don't know can't hurt you. Joker's gun is actually just a model made real by Mementos, but Smash doesn't tell you that. Mementos is the collective unconscious, but Smash doesn't tell you that. Joker was convicted because he tried to stop Shido from assaulting someone, but Smash doesn't tell you that. The BFG stands for Big ****ing Gun, but Smash won't have to tell you that.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure he did this last time Geno was being hyped up, he literally said he was playing the game when he made a cheeky joke about it.
His post back around when two insiders went into the Geno thread and accidentally hyped them up all before the last mini direct? Yeah I recall that and felt Jeff's post then was jokey then too.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Ya'know, if this were true, wouldn't Metal Gear, Persona 5, and Bayonetta have to be censored retroactively though?
It seems to be more with how the content affects the rating of the Presentations and such. So it seems before having Bayo content or Persona content did not affect the rating of the Smash Presentation, but apparently due to changes in ESRB even just having something reference a title of M Rated game could cause the rating to shift to an M Rating. That's why The Logos on Fighter Pass 1 was removed and why It's X Vault Boy and X Altair and not their franchise name...and such

Koopaul

Smash Champion
EDIT: I should rephrase this to be a little less mean. If Nintendo wanted to add a character, something like an abnormal tagline wouldn't stop them because it's not a significant enough problem, especially since they aren't prevented from using the same format; they just have to go with a series instead of a single game.
You're thinking about this in reverse. There is no rule preventing a character from being on the fighters pass. I'm saying that this is evidence of how they intend to handle these Challenger Packs. This is evidence for what they want to do.

Because you are right. Nintendo can add whoever they want. That tagline is not preventing them from adding whoever. My point is I am basing my speculation on patterns to speculate what Nintendo might want to do. And right now I speculate that Nintendo/Sakurai want each fighter to bring over a ton of new content from a series or game for Smash. Hence the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Fire Emblem Three Houses" or ""Super Smash Bros. Ultimate × Persona 5".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom