• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Do you think Zero would use his X design, his Zero design, or both as alts? Because if both is how he'd go, he'd have to choose between the arm cannon from X and the handheld gun from Zero. Or would he just stick to his Z-Saber alone?
They wouldn't be able to work as alts, because both versions have exclusive attacks that make them vastly different.

For starters: X Series Zero can do air dashes, while his Zero homologue can't. X Zero has access to unique attacks like Giga Attacks, his afterimage slash, the Black Hold that can stop time, the diagonal slash from above, and in MvC:I, he was given a buff where he can use brand new moves if you follow any of his specials into a charge shot (eg. Hadangeki into Rakkuhouha, or Ryuenjin into Hyoretsuzan).

Zero series Zero on the other hand, doesn't use any sort of screen nukes, an exclusive rolling slash on the ground and instead of having tons of sword techniques, he only essentially has four (rising slash, the downward slash, a sword projectile and a better dash slash). He also has access to different weapons like the Triple Rod, which he can use into any direction and even as a pogo attack like Scrooge McDuck; the Recoil Rod, which is capable of pushing enemies and objects away, and the Z-Knuckle, which he can use to steal weapons. And in SNK vs Capcom, he can summon cyber elves to assist him in combat.

So yeah, depending on what design devs go for, he'd have a different moveset. Although I'd personally go for his Zero series version if only because X Zero has been in multiple fighting games already, while MMZ has only really been in SvC Chaos.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's an interesting question: If you could add an unorthodox pick like Piranha Plant from any series that currently has a fighter, who would you pick, and how do you think they would play? If you hate picks like Piranha Plant, you can refer to a series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy where there the competition is so steep that even major characters within the series have no chance at being added. I will give the caveat though that your pick must be one of the lesser requested characters, so no Lyn, Sceptile, or Sephiroth.

For my first unorthodox pick, I'll go with Gemini Man. He'd be a mix between Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Gemini Man always starts out with a clone that mimics his every move like the other Ice Climber, but isn't the cause of stupid infinite like Luma. If either the player or the AI controlled clone gets KOed, or if one of them reaches 100%, the other one becomes the "real" one, and is now controlled by the player (the first Gemini Man to reach 100% instantly dies). The remaining Gemini Man will be solo for the rest of its stock, gaining access to the Gemini Laser, but not much else.
The Titan Dweevil from Pikmin 2.
I've made a moveset for it before.
(No Louie, just the Dweevil itself.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I hope that rule stays intact. Every company in smash as of right now has a wonderful variety of great franchises and hard focusing on one over using a character to represent another franchise would be the most disappointing outcome for me. There is no universe where I'd give up 2B for Tifa or Dante for Chun-Li.
This assumes that you can't have both. Once companies start getting multiple series with mainstay characters I think we could easily see these series contributing characters alongside new ones from the same company.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Here's an interesting question: If you could add an unorthodox pick like Piranha Plant from any series that currently has a fighter, who would you pick, and how do you think they would play? If you hate picks like Piranha Plant, you can refer to a series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy where there the competition is so steep that even major characters within the series have no chance at being added. I will give the caveat though that your pick must be one of the lesser requested characters, so no Lyn, Sceptile, or Sephiroth.

For my first unorthodox pick, I'll go with Gemini Man. He'd be a mix between Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Gemini Man always starts out with a clone that mimics his every move like the other Ice Climber, but isn't the cause of stupid infinite like Luma. If either the player or the AI controlled clone gets KOed, or if one of them reaches 100%, the other one becomes the "real" one, and is now controlled by the player (the first Gemini Man to reach 100% instantly dies). The remaining Gemini Man will be solo for the rest of its stock, gaining access to the Gemini Laser, but not much else.
I would do a completely out there and random Pokemon like Wooloo or Timburr. Or if we are going REALLY wacky someone like an Egg Pawn or Manuela or Lissa from Fire Emblem.
Wooloo and Timburr could translate okay to smash without a lot of changes just some fun moves. Egg pawns could use various Badnik Powers and the Weapons that Egg pawns are seen with in Shadow the Hedgehog. Manuela/Lissa could represent a lot of the Support classes from Fire Emblem like Cleric or Warlock. If we want to go to VERY VERY BAD IDEA territory. Vauthry from FFXIV could be really dumb and weird.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Appletun. Silly, doofy, wimpy attack and mediocre recovery, surprisingly good survivability thanks to it's weight, and terrifying status effect and damage-over-time capabilities that make you go from 0% to 80% in fifteen seconds flat.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If this were the Sm4sh days, I’d pick Snivy (and maybe even have it coexist with Greninja), but instead…I’ll go with Anna from Fire Emblem.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
thats my waifu we’re talking about here

I’d take her over Camilla anyday. THAT woman is straight up creepy
Oddly enough, Camilla doesn't bother me. Her, uh..."suggestive themes" are just so extra that it's funny to me.

Granted, my only experience with her is in Fire Emblem Warriors, where I do not insert myself into the protagonist, and I've heard the character writing is top notch to the point where even the bad characters are likable.

Actually come to think of it, Tharja doesn't bother me in Fire Emblem Warriors, but she does in Fire Emblem: Awakening, so I probably just don't like getting hit on.

Hey how do you feel about how she's voiced by Ash Ketchum's original VA? Asking for a friend
Impressed more than anything. Though the idea of Ash with Manuela's personality is a cursed one.

SKX31

Smash Master

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If one were to ask me about my mood for speculation (which I really don't take too seriously coz I got who I wanted), I'm confused for the moment as to what could be next.

Really, all I can bring up for discussion is that I'd fully invest in Fate and Danganronpa should any of their characters get into Smash. Bonus points for the latter since I gambled money for that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If one were to ask me about my mood for speculation (which I really don't take too seriously coz I got who I wanted), I'm confused for the moment as to what could be next.

Really, all I can bring up for discussion is that I'd fully invest in Fate and Danganronpa should any of their characters get into Smash. Bonus points for the latter since I gambled money for that.
I'm in a similar position. The reason I haven't been posting is that I'm all out of ideas about what to speculate about.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I genuinely consider Fate a darkhorse due to it's immense popularity to the point it's outsold Godzilla and Zelda, ****'s absolutely insane, I consider Adol from Ys a darkhorse too due to the surprisingly major impact Falcom had on the gaming industry

D

Deleted member

Monk Maz Koshia(the final boss of BOTW's dlc)
a fast swingy character with the ability to make short lasting(2-5 second) clones and a variety of tricks up his..old...rusty sleeves.

Jake from Fire Emblem. The man fights with a ballista, so he'd be a heavyweight, committal archer type with a bunch of powerful projectiles that could mess up your day if you're not careful. Bonus points if he has bolts that travel in an arc and snipe you from the other side of the stage.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Jake from Fire Emblem. The man fights with a ballista, so he'd be a heavyweight, committal archer type with a bunch of powerful projectiles that could mess up your day if you're not careful. Bonus points if he has bolts that travel in an arc and snipe you from the other side of the stage.
Ah, starting off the day strong with the image of a man dash dancing with an entire freaking ballista. I love it.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Same here. I don't post here often because speculation is exhausting and I still don't know what to predict aside from the second pass being probably first party focused. But is it going to be majority or half? Who knows. I could narrow down our speculated characters to about 20 or 30 characters who have a reasonable shot but that would be a lot of work and it wouldn't help that much since we are only getting 5 more.

Screw it, I might do that anyways in the future. Especially when we get a few more characters to get a feeling for this pass. Because even with the first pass there was no pattern.

Speculating is difficult. For example, most people were thinking we would get Doom or Skyrim content first before any Fallout content but look at the timeline we are in. That's crazy to think about. Doom is highly influential and Skyrim is one of the biggest games of the last decade and is also quite popular in Japan too. You would think those would have gotten something at this point. While it's possible one of them could be a fighter (heck, I personally give Dragonborn a 60% chance score), it's not a guarantee. Sakurai is constantly breaking expectations which is great but also makes the DLC borderline impossible to predict. I mean was anyone expecting something like Small Battlefield? It also says a lot when everyone was predicting big franchises to get in last pass and the only big thing we got was Dragon Quest.

Another thing too is, and I don't want to sound spoiled but I just want to vent, I have not got any characters I really wanted. I was hyped for Banjo but that was mostly a combination of his huge fan demand, the fact that Nintendo and Microsoft worked together which is a big middle finger to console wars, and if you think about it, he was the only widely speculated character to get in last pass. I don't think some of my most wanted characters are too far fetched. I get that we realistically won't get characters like Crypto or Kratos, but what about Crash, Agumon, Steve or Phoenix Wright? I would be surprised if we didn't get any of those characters by the end. Even Master Chief has a good shot since Microsoft recently removed the Xbox phrase from Game Pass which could mean it could come to Switch ,and it has the Halo games on it.

This is why I've been opening myself up to lots of characters as you all can tell from my signature. Don't get me wrong, I don't support these characters just so I can join in on the hype. I support them because I genuinely want them in. If I wanted to support a character for the sake of hype, I would have supported Lloyd Irving by now, though I'm starting to warm up to him and I want to try his game eventually. Same for others like 2B, Dixie Kong, and Kiryu.

But yeah, that's why I haven't been active on this site that much aside from RTC. Byleth left a bad taste in my mouth and honestly I was lukewarm to ARMS at first. Aside from Banjo, the last characters I truly got excited for were the Belmonts and K. Rool. Having been let down a lot, I think my brain is subconsciously avoiding making me hyped for this game. I still love this game and I'm excited that we are still getting 5 more characters. But I'm honestly feeling a bit jaded and can't help but feel left out in a way. Like when Sakurai was gushing over Fatal Fury, I was happy for him and others, but I just couldn't relate. If he was gushing over someone like Crash then that would be amazing to see. I'm not blaming Sakurai or Nintendo for anything, it's my fault for setting high expectations which judging from how this community is like, I would recommend more people to keep their expectations minimized.

Thankfully I got other games I care about. For example I've been playing Tekken 7, Soul Calibur and the Destroy All Humans remake. It takes my mind off of Smash.

I guess this goes to show that it's good to take a break from things. I could go on but I typed enough.

D

Deleted member

SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy
Here's another unorthodox pick I came up with:
The Legion of Stationery
(You would switch between Tape, Scissors and Rubber Band like Pokemon Trainer while Hole Punch, Stapler and Coloured Pencils watch from the background cheering on the fight.)
Outside of the Rubber Band boss how would that even work? Half of them don't even move that much, if at all?

SKX31

Smash Master

Unorthodox pick from already existing series hmm?

Gilgamesh.

Any questions about representation? Not many, because he covers Final Fantasy's history from the SNES era until the modern day. He even managed to get into Square's original time-loop (FF1, okay, GBA remake, but still) through multiverse shenaningas.

Moveset potential? Any way you slice it. (Belated edit: The 8 arms could pose a problem when it comes to animations, but they also provide incredible flexibility whether he carries FF weapons or weapons used by Smash characters)

Potentially hilarious? Absolutely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Another thing too is, and I don't want to sound spoiled but I just want to vent, I have not got any characters I really wanted. I was hyped for Banjo but that was mostly a combination of his huge fan demand, the fact that Nintendo and Microsoft worked together which is a big middle finger to console wars, and if you think about it, he was the only widely speculated character to get in last pass. I don't think some of my most wanted characters are too far fetched. I get that we realistically won't get characters like Crypto or Kratos, but what about Crash, Agumon, Steve or Phoenix Wright? I would be surprised if we didn't get any of those characters by the end. Even Master Chief has a good shot since Microsoft recently removed the Xbox phrase from Game Pass which could mean it could come to Switch ,and it has the Halo games on it.
Same here tbh. None of the characters so far have actually been from games I care about(which is both good and bad imo) and the few wants I do have are either anime boyos or so obscure they may as well be anime boyos(cough Wizard101 cough)
I've already accepted this and really am just here to speculate and make unfunny jokes. If a character that interests me gets in then great! Otherwise I'm not complaining.

Last edited by a moderator:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While Kirby has tons of picks that are typically favored (Bandanna Dee, Marx, Adeleine, Dark Meta Knight) I think there could something fun with a trio character in Rick, Kine, & Coo. Not only would be a character greatly differentiated from the likes of the Pokemon Trainer and the Ice Climbers, but between the various powers in Dream Land 2 and the abilities in Star Allies you could easily craft a move-set from it.

Plus the image of the the strongest warriors in Smash being beaten up by hamster is too amusing not to do.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

The one

The only

The special beast

The legendary ghost

The OG

GENGAR!!!

I know he's somewhat popular, but lemme have my moment, eh?

• Unique move pool being with him being part Ghost. Can use manipulating status effects such as confusion, sleep, paralyze, etc on his opponents. Toxic, Lick, Hypnosis, etc can work very well into his specials
  • Add Ghost, Poision, and Dark type moves. Mewtwo has Shadow Ball and that takes some away from Gengar. Can replace with something like Dark Pulse instead
  • Due to him being a Ghost, he could be a somewhat broken character with some moves not able to hit at all. Could make him broken af for this alone

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
1597505185114.png

After Piranha Plant, this'd be cool/dumb to see in Smash.
In terms of moveset, besides the old "suck n' fly", it could either shoot lightning or evolve over the course of the battle.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

In the vein of Piranha Plant, I pick what is arguably a modern gaming icon: Breath of the Wild’s Lynel. One of the more recognizeable foes with an infamous reputation, in the game of Breath of the Wild’s caliber, the Lynel is no slouch and actually would make sense to represent the Zelda series and its latest hit game.
As for how he’d play, he has access to multiple weapons, including a club, a spear, a bow and dual-wielding swords, which combined with centaur speed would make for terrifying rushdown, although less combo-based and more focussed on brute strength. Combining strength, speed and range at the cost of slow attacks and a big hurtbox, Lynel would be an unorthodox heavyweight and absolutely horrifying in the right hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom