• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean

why show something normally only seen in WoL, let alone that you only see it when you’re several hours in?
For dramatic effect? Heroes fight the forces of dark and Smash has its equivalent in the form of Dharkon-possessed fighters.

I don't know, a character reveal trailer seems like a random place to just drop a new feature like this. Sometimes an ad is just an ad and not a secret hint for anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean

why show something normally only seen in WoL, let alone that you only see it when you’re several hours in?
The game was already out for half a year by then, they stopped caring about spoilers and wanted a Hero of light fighting darkness.

Though I do wonder if they'll have Galeem and Dharkon in a trailer again. I've seen people suggest using the two for a Demifiend trailer considering SMT's whole law and chaos thing, would be pretty cool but I'd need Demifiend to have a shot referencing the artwork where he's on a pile of demons with 2 heads in his hands

D

Deleted member

How about this: a vote to decide which series (already in Smash) gets a new stage. Yu-Gi-Oh is currently doing something similar with that "Create-a-Card" thing they're doing.
The thing about the "Create-A-Card" campaign is that it's fundamentally flawed no matter how you do the votes, people literally are just buying votes, skewing the results in their favor, and if this were to happen for Smash there's no doubt the exact same thing would happen. It would be much less of a fair vote and more of "throw money at bots, the movie the game" which means any stage that isn't popular by default would have very bad odds and not be fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For dramatic effect? Heroes fight the forces of dark and Smash has its equivalent in the form of Dharkon-possessed fighters.

I don't know, a character reveal trailer seems like a random place to just drop a new feature like this. Sometimes an ad is just an ad and not a secret hint for anything.
She wasn't implying that it was a secret hint, just that the trailer shows that the Dharkon effect can be put on basically any character without much effort, so it is feasible to add this feature to the playable characters in the main game modes unless there's a logistical problem we don't know of.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
She wasn't implying that it was a secret hint, just that the trailer shows that the Dharkon effect can be put on basically any character without much effort, so it is feasible to add this feature to the playable characters in the main game modes unless there's a logistical problem we don't know of.
Same for the Galeem effect and the “clone” one for both when you fight Galeem or Dharkon, they summon blue or red clones of their fighters

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Smash could have it's own characters made from the ground up, It Might definitely not happen just as a thought

not counting the Miis.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The thing about the "Create-A-Card" campaign is that it's fundamentally flawed no matter how you do the votes, people literally are just buying votes, skewing the results in their favor, and if this were to happen for Smash there's no doubt the exact same thing would happen. It would be much less of a fair vote and more of "throw money at bots, the movie the game" which means any stage that isn't popular by default would have very bad odds and not be fair.
I mean, if Nintendo wouldn't be able to stop people from rigging a contest like this, then we'd also have to assume that the ballot was rigged in this way as well.

I think a sort of ballot where people can say which series should get a stage could be pretty fun, especially if they didn't limit it to just the series that already have a character.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if Smash could have it's own characters made from the ground up, It Might definitely not happen just as a thought

not counting the Miis.
I doubt it, ignoring non-playable stuff(like the hands, Galeem, etc) there aren't any original playable characters. And even then part of the charm of Smash is the fact you beat the crap out of each other while playing as characters such as Mario, Banjo, Snake, etc.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I doubt it, ignoring non-playable stuff(like the hands, Galeem, etc) there aren't any original playable characters. And even then part of the charm of Smash is the fact you beat the crap out of each other while playing as characters such as Mario, Banjo, Snake, etc.
Yeah, while I do think an OC would probably be one of, if not the most creative characters in the series, but it still wouldn't be well received unless said character already existed in some sort of The Subspace Emissary style mode and people really like them (which isn't impossible, but it is very difficult because the players signed up for a crossover story, not the story of the OC in crossover land).

Honestly, I think the only OCs from crossover games that I've seen people like that isn't derivative of another character are Lana and Cia from Hyrule Warriors.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ultimate's is a mixture of "Oh wow, that's cool" and "So yeah, this is basically where all the Miiverse degeneracy went."
Despite the degeneracy, I do like Ultimate's Stage builder alot cause the stages can get very creative and likeable. There are lots of times when I wish Stage Builder got content alongside the Mii costumes. And boy, do I dislike that limit bar regarding multiple players. I swear, there's so much potential for 8-player stages with Stage Builder and it's unable to realise that with the limit bar.

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, hold the phone. Star Allies is a year younger than ARMS; Tropical Freeze IIRC sold more than ARMS overall. Yet ARMS was the series that got priority.

And even when talking about vocal audiences, I'd argue Bandana Dee and Dixie had just as much of a DLC following as an ARMS character did. There are arguments pointing to these characters not having what it takes, but timing and audiences are not two of them.
Well according to SKX31 SKX31 , Nintendo does seem to have some sort of current plan with ARMS, and while I don't think Min Min really works as a promotional pick due to the age of the game, there might be something we don't currently know about coming down the line.
I'm not fully certain if Nintendo has a Splatoon 3 or ARMS 2 planned... but I'd argue that, ¥€$. Nintendo has some interest in the Twitch pie:

Official tournaments and support after the final patch / update is one way to keep a competitive game's playerbase playing, I mean, TPC still holds Pokken tournaments, and there's no guarantee if we'll see a Pokken 2 or something like that. Splatoon 2's Twitch numbers are overall rather small, but peak during Nintendo's official tournaments to 5 digit territory. ARMS has had really low Twitch numbers - but the April 2020 Online Open had 880 players and the August 2020 Open 767 players.

And I wanna highlight the April 2020 Online Open in particular:

While it was never officially confirmed, the tournament was likely held to tie-in with the announcement that an ARMS Character would be coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in June along with ARMS being free to play for 10 days via Nintendo Switch Online.
Those numbers signal that there's an active Splatoon and ARMS playerbase respectively. At the very least Nintendo want to keep as many people as possible invested in these two games. Regardless of whether there's an ARMS 2 or Splatoon 3 in the works or not. After all, companies like Riot and Valve have kept their games' fanbases largely intact via official tournaments streamed on Twitch and other stuff.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
We get a Hollow Knight rep; it's Zote.
I'm not sure if I would hate or love it. I mean, it sounds ridicolous at first, but there's a lot of potential if they use all the crazy stuff he can do in the dream world. Though he's not the main character of neither of the two games, so zero chances.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Plus Nintendo's library of characters is so vast and diverse that any original character/moveset you could possibly imagine could fit into any obscure or off IP that they own, like Rhythm Heaven or Panel de Pon or Captain Rainbow.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ganondorfs: Menacing walk
Samurai Gorogh: "My arms are stuck to my sides. Send help."
Considering Goroh always had the Rising Sun insignia, this is punishment for denying war crimes
I mean, the CG trailers didn't use the models from the games, I'm pretty sure that the Dharkon effect was only done to emphasize light and darkness for that one trailer and the dev tean just didn't bother with detailing every Spirit from a specific portion of the game wlby adding a slightly different effect

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, the CG trailers didn't use the models from the games, I'm pretty sure that the Dharkon effect was only done to emphasize light and darkness for that one trailer and the dev tean just didn't bother with detailing every Spirit from a specific portion of the game wlby adding a slightly different effect
She's referring to the middle of the trailer where Hero is beat up by Robin, Snake, and Ganondorf, then where all the Heros beat up Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, and Shulk, all of which have this effect on them, and are shown in gameplay.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have no idea who this is or what he does...

...but I love him now.
He's an NPC that you meet several times through the game, most of the times he's in danger and you can save him (or let him die). He's very weak and unskilled, though he boasts himself as if he's the strongest warrior in the world. There's a girl NPC who falls in love for him: she trusts all the lies he tells, and builds this idealized version of him as a super strong warrior inside of her mind. Later in the game you find an item that allows you to read inside other people's mind (dreams) and sometimes to enter into them completely. With it, you can meet the idealized version of Zote and fight him. There's also a secret room where you fight an horde of "Zotelings" and if you manage to defeat at least 50 of them, you unlock an option to change the title screen of the game with a version where you see a statue of Zote in the background, and he sings the music of the game by his voice.

He's basically a meme character in the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
She's referring to the middle of the trailer where Hero is beat up by Robin, Cloud, and Ganondorf, then where all the Heros beat up Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, and Shulk, all of which have this effect on them, and are shown in gameplay.
My mistake, though considering we've seen nothing of the sort since, it's possible it's a CG effect like how Bayonetta's trailer had Pit blush when she grabs him yet no such effect exists

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
She's referring to the middle of the trailer where Hero is beat up by Robin, Cloud, and Ganondorf, then where all the Heros beat up Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, and Shulk, all of which have this effect on them, and are shown in gameplay.
Snake, not Cloud

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Wish Cloud would show up in some CG trailer.

But that'd probably be another 20 million dollars. :p
The 20 million is just for his hair, too. To compensate, Cloud will have fully detailed HD hair, but the rest of his model is the OG FF7 PS1 model. This still costs Nintendo 50 million to use.

30 million of that is the right to use FF7's midis for 20 seconds.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The 20 million is just for his hair, too. To compensate, Cloud will have fully detailed HD hair, but the rest of his model is the OG FF7 PS1 model. This still costs Nintendo 50 million to use.

We don't talk about how much it costs just to have Cloud be walking.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Ok but real talk I'd play Cloud a lot more if he had his OG ps1 model as an alt. ****'s maaaaad cute

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ok but real talk I'd play Cloud a lot more if he had his OG ps1 model as an alt. ****'s maaaaad cute
I don't have any nostalgia for the Nintendo 64, but I'd buy N64 (or there equivalent in the case of characters like Cloud) skins of characters. I'd especially love to see skins like this for characters that never appeared in 3D during that graphical era.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I'd use the heck out of low poly models in Smash. I'm such a sucker for stuff like that. Like, imagine if the Original 8 had their Smash 64 models? That'd be amazing.
If Smash gets a reboot after Ultimate with fewer characters, I could imagine them dedicating some sort of low-poly mode to the selected playable characters.

SKX31

Smash Master
Wish Cloud would show up in some CG trailer.

But that'd probably be another 20 million dollars. :p

I mean, the real reason why Cloud costs so much is that Square-Enix noticed one thing.

That Cloud's highly sought after by ad agencies:

:4pacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom