• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I hate him cause he's propped up on a pedstal by the Kirby staff without him having done anything to earn it. He's just there.
Maybe, just maybe, he earns it by being the most important Kirby character not in Smash?

Seriously, you'd think Bandana Dee just made NPC appearances with this "oh, he ain't done nothing" shtick, and not that he's basically Kirby's Toad.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
My issue with Bandanna Waddle Dee has never been appearances or what not. It's just the simple fact that the gameplay ideas folks suggest just aren't that interesting.

Whenever there's a concept of what I call "the kitchen sink", as in, throwing together a bunch of different references, it loses me a bit. I've played a number of Kirby games with the guy in it, but beyond poking with his spear, throwing the spear, and using the spear like a helicopter, everything else involved that fans suggest turns into throwing things together haphazardly.
Honestly gotta disagree with this. Byleth's usage of a spear for some of his moves make me want Bandana Dee even more, personally.

I think there's plenty of fun things you could do with Bandana Dee. He wouldn't be flashy by any means, but sometimes a more down to earth character is nice. Just my own two cents though: To each their own.:drshrug:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Trolling/bait
Maybe, just maybe, he earns it by being the most important Kirby character not in Smash?

Seriously, you'd think Bandana Dee just made NPC appearances with this "oh, he ain't done nothing" shtick, and not that he's basically Kirby's Toad.
Yeah and Toad also sucks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My issue with Bandanna Waddle Dee has never been appearances or what not. It's just the simple fact that the gameplay ideas folks suggest just aren't that interesting.

Whenever there's a concept of what I call "the kitchen sink", as in, throwing together a bunch of different references, it loses me a bit. I've played a number of Kirby games with the guy in it, but beyond poking with his spear, throwing the spear, and using the spear like a helicopter, everything else involved that fans suggest turns into throwing things together haphazardly.
Basically this:
I think there's plenty of fun things you could do with Bandana Dee. He wouldn't be flashy by any means, but sometimes a more down to earth character is nice.
But also, I don't think that treating Bandana Waddle Dee as a representative for his entire species is an inherently bad idea either, and a moveset that pulls abilities from all over doesn't necessarily translate to a lack of cohesion as we've seen with characters like Ness, Mega Man, Piranha Plant, and Mr. Game & Watch.

Yeah and Toad also sucks.
Oh them's fightin' words.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable.
"But that doesn't mean being recognizable isn't extremely important!"
It's more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable.
"But fun is subjective!"

You know what, maybe people should just stop bringing up that quote

Last edited:

MooMew64

TBH modern Kirby games kinda play a little like Smash Bros. already, and Bandana Waddle Dee already has a pretty in-depth moveset in Star Allies:

I don't think any of this would be cobbled together feeling, but that's just how I feel. Totally respect that a lotta people here wouldn't be into it, lol.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
He's not a character I really want but I'd be down for Bandana Dee. I feel he's the missing piece for the Kirby roster as Dixie is to Donkey Kong. They more then earn their spots as among the remaining Nintendo all-stars.

He's also not called the player 4 of Kirby for nothing and a spear user to boot.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
TBH modern Kirby games kinda play a little like Smash Bros. already, and Bandana Waddle Dee already has a pretty in-depth moveset in Star Allies:

I don't think any of this would be cobbled together feeling, but that's just how I feel. Totally respect that a lotta people here wouldn't be into it, lol.
Not going to lie, I want the director of this game (Shinya Kumazaki) to make the next Smash Bros if Sakurai ever retires from the series. Kirby Star Allies has a lot of content and Smash Bros is a series that thrives on fan service which there is a lot of in Star Allies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not going to lie, I want the director of this game (Shinya Kumazaki) to make the next Smash Bros if Sakurai ever retires from the series. Kirby Star Allies has a lot of content and Smash Bros is a series that thrives on fan service which there is a lot of in Star Allies.
Two decades after Kumazaki takes over, whoever else is working on Kirby transfers over. Smash has and always will be tied to Kirby.

There is no escape.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
To me, the issue with Waddle Dee is that he was a lazy character to include as a 4th in Kirby games to start with. It's like if the fourth character in all the New Super Mario games was a Goomba. Meta Knight and King Dedede have lengthy history with the franchise and a ton of personality, then this guy shows up as the 4th? With his whole personality being the bandanna he wears?

To his defense, I don't think any other character in the series even has a chance. At least he's recurring, unlike most of the other bosses that have mostly been one of since Dedede. And who knows, they did include Piranha Plant, and it turned into a really fun character.

But the "meh" is strong with Waddle Dee.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like Bandana Dee support has slowed down a lot in the DLC period. I rarely see his thread on the first page of this subforum anymore, the most activity his thread had that I've noticed was before Ult's release

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To me, the issue with Waddle Dee is that he was a lazy character to include as a 4th in Kirby games to start with. It's like if the fourth character in all the New Super Mario games was a Goomba. Meta Knight and King Dedede have lengthy history with the franchise and a ton of personality, then this guy shows up as the 4th? With his whole personality being the bandanna he wears?

To his defense, I don't think any other character in the series even has a chance. At least he's recurring, unlike most of the other bosses that have mostly been one of since Dedede. And who knows, they did include Piranha Plant, and it turned into a really fun character.

I mean, the third and fourth main characters of NSMB are Blue Toad and Yellow Toad. At least Bandana Dee has a unique weapon. Plus, an iconic and recurring Mario character with his own series is just a generic, nondescript Yoshi without any distinguishing traits to separate him from the many other Yoshis that you play as. If Bandana Dee's bad, so is Yoshi.
I feel like Bandana Dee support has slowed down a lot in the DLC period. I rarely see his thread on the first page of this subforum anymore, the most activity his thread had that I've noticed was before Ult's release
He's first-party supporting character in an environment where the speculation scene has shifted to new third-party franchises (And Geno). Plus, there hasn't been much new Kirby news as of late. Obviously, Bandana Dee's thread is on a low.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Toad can't be a playable chaarcter, then I don't see Bandana Dee happening.
I don't think Captain Toad is impossible either, though I will say Bandana Waddle Dee is way more of a prominent character than Captain Toad.

Speaking of the similarities between Toad and Dee, I always wondered why he was removed from Dedede's moveset entirely in Smash 4.
Either because they though Waddle Dee Toss was too good (it and chaingrabs single-handedly made King Dedede viable), or because they wanted to remove the randomness.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Quite frankly after Piranha Plant was announced, I found the notion that Bandanna Dee as too small time or too much of a mook get into Smash to be a bit silly.

He may not get into any DLC, but if there is another Smash title, I'd be stunned if he wasn't in the base roster as Kirby is long overdue for another character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nah see Bandana Dee is cool and I adore him but can we please get Susie:

look at her

she is baby
She gets a huge "meh" from me. As far as the newer villains go Magolor is infinitely superior to the other two in my absolutely correct opinion.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Really especially after Piranha Plant?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

THIS he's the fourth character because he's a waddle dee not because he had interesting aspects in his debut and BECAME the fourth from like the staff and fans liking his traits. He's not some breakout character that became opular he was just shunted into popularity because Waddle Dees are cute, but they couldnt JUST have a waddle dee in, thatd be too obvious. so they gave him a bandanna to individualize....only they put in the absolute minimum amount of effort.

It really says something that his defining trait is the thing he wears, even Captain Toad "Captain" i a title, it makes sense, Bandanna is just... "he wears a bandanna thats why he's different"

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Are people seriously going off with the Hat Goomba argument again? Again I thought that was all over when we got Piranha Plant.

Plus bandana Dee differs from the other Dees given he uses a spear for his moveset.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Nah see Bandana Dee is cool and I adore him but can we please get Susie:

View attachment 281590

look at her

she is baby
Don't let that cute look fool you. That woman is a corporate mastermind and won't hesitate to dispose of you if you're an obstacle to profit. The only reason she hasn't tried to mechanize Pop Star again is because Kirby wiping her company from every plane of existence is the exact opposite of profitable.
But yeah, it would be interesting to have someone who is still not totally on Kirby's side yet.
She gets a huge "meh" from me. As far as the newer villains go Magolor is infinitely superior to the other two in my absolutely correct opinion.
I actually have a moveset for him in the works. Basically, he's a weak, glassy trap master that screws with portals, trips you up with Gem Apple Bombs, and blasts you with projectiles, so you can just create some portals in just the right way so Yoshi attempts to down special into the ledge and plumments into the void below instead.

It's pretty fun.

SKX31

Smash Master
Two decades after Kumazaki takes over, whoever else is working on Kirby transfers over. Smash has and always will be tied to Kirby.

There is no escape.
All part of Kirby's plan to swallow the universe like the living, breathing black hole he is.
Oh... oh no.
Kirby_Up_Tilt_Hitbox_Smash_64.gif

BRAWL_META_KNIGHT.gif

Mew2Kings_Brawl_Tier_List_Mid_Tier_and_High_Tier.gif

There is indeed no escaping them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't doubt Bandana Dee popularity is genuine, but I very much believe much of it stems from the expectation -> popularity route of becoming a demanded character. As in, being the presumptive next Kirby character in line. I mean, I remember before Bandana Dee used to recur, and the "Kirby character" used to just flit between whoever was most recent; the origin of the character's popularity came from trying to buff the series' count more than the character itself.

That is all to say, if another Kirby character with popularity that seems a bit more organic began to recur even just once in a while, like Susie, or Marx, or Magolor, I do think Dee would lose a lot of the foothold he has popularity-wise.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Don't let that cute look fool you. That woman is a corporate mastermind and won't hesitate to dispose of you if you're an obstacle to profit. The only reason she hasn't tried to mechanize Pop Star again is because Kirby wiping her company from every plane of existence is the exact opposite of profitable.
But yeah, it would be interesting to have someone who is still not totally on Kirby's side yet.
She may be an evil corporate mastermind, but she is a talented singer:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Wii Fit Trainer is a sentient mannequin who's incapable of doing anything that's not a yoga pose. Yet you still like her.
Yeh and she's awesome, nothing but yoga poses in Smash is wacky, a spear isnt.
Are people seriously going off with the Hat Goomba argument again? Again I thought that was all over when we got Piranha Plant.

Plus bandana Dee differs from the other Dees given he uses a spear for his moveset.
Hat Goomba comes from the ffact that they literally give him a moniker based on his headwear. If Mario introduced a Goomba that used a bat and had a tophat and he was called Tophat Goomba, and was really working to be Bowser's secnd hand man, itd be the same exact scenario with Bandanna Dee.

Bandanna Dee doesn't deserve to get in Smash before, Marx, Dark Matter, Adeleine, and hell Gooey.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Oh, we're talking about Bandana Dee again?

Honestly, it's perfectly fine to want literally any Kirby character over him but at the same time it's a little comical to see him being downplayed for the same "arguments" over and over again.

I see people compare him to either a Goomba or Toad, and while I would lean towards Toad as the most relatable character, I still think that Bandana Dee has qualities which Toad doesn't always have.
For one, Bandana Dee has a signature weapon(s) while Toad can usually only get his hands on whatever Mario can utilize as well.
Also, Bandana Dee is far more popular as a Smash request (and maybe even as a character in general) than Toad. There's a reason why characters like Rosalina (and maybe even Bowser Jr.) got in over Toad, after all.
Additionally, Bandana Dee isn't tied down by a certain, intentional gimmick which would have to be worked around in order for him to work viably in a game like Smash.

With that being said, I still hope that (Captain) Toad makes it into Smash someday.

But, I think it was pretty cool to see Bandana Dee evolve into being practically the 4th Main Character of the Kirby franchise (and the sole representative for Waddle Dees), rather than simply filing in the 4th Playable Character' spot before falling into obscurity after 2011. He's now one of Kirby's best, reoccurring friends who tries to help him in any way that he can which is why I think he shouldn't be viewed as a lesser character just for playing roles which aren't always one-to-one with Meta Knight and King Dedede.

For any way you slice the strawberry cake, Bandana Dee would also bring something new and interesting to the table in some way; especially as DLC, since he would be guaranteed to bring fresh content into Ultimate that the Kirby franchise has been starved of for quite some time.

Moveset potential is a no-brainer, since Bandana Dee has more than enough from his personal arsenal to use in Smash, even without a gimmick!
For my own moveset concept it features Spear, Parasol, and even his kinda overlooked Megaton Punch moves; along with Alt. Costumes as well.
Some moves also have additional inputs or effects to make them much more interesting.

Please have a look!

Moveset

Jab - Spear Poke

Bandana Dee delivers a simple, straight-forward poke with his spear.

Rapid Jab - Multispear Attack

Bandana Dee unleashes a flurry of spear jabs ending with one powerful thrust.

Up-Tilt - Parasol Unfurl

Bandana Dee quickly raises his (closed) parasol into the air before allowing it to quickly unfurl and finish the attack.

Side-Tilt - Spear Cutter

Bandana Dee tosses forward a twirling spear from his hand which quickly returns back to him. (This move can also be aimed).

Down-Tilt - Slide

Bandana Dee extends his feet while sliding forward in a common and classic fashion.

Up-Smash - Chumbrella Unfurl

Bandana Dee raises a (closed) Chumbrella over his head before allowing it to unfurl in order to finish the attack.

- As a bonus, by holding the attack button the Chumbrella remains held above Bandana Dee's head; this provides him with increased protection from aerial attacks while rendering him free to move around.

- Walking off ledges will cause him to descend more slowly.

- Once the attack button is released Bandana Dee will release the Chumbrella from his hands, allowing it to float upwards and deal additional damage while encasing the ability to juggle opponents.

- Has a tipper effect.

Side Smash - Spear Thrust

Bandana Dee sends out a powerful thrust with his Spear.

- While charging this move Bandana Dee would twirl the Spear in his hand, dealing additional damage before completing the attack.

- Has a tipper effect.

Down Smash - Super Megaton Punch

Bandana Dee swiftly punches the ground below him, affecting a certain radius around the area of impact.

- Opponents struck with the punch itself will be instantly buried.

- Additionally a pillar of rock will erupt from the ground on both sides of Bandana Dee, launching nearby opponents away.

- These pillars of rock will also protect Bandana Dee from sudden attacks (physical or projectile) from either side of him.

Neutral Air - Spear Twirl

Bandana Dee twirls his spear in front on him.

Up Air - Skyward Thrust

Bandana Dee strikes the air above him with his spear.

Forward Air - Triple Stab

Bandana Dee quickly stabs the air three times to the side with his spear.

Down Air - Moon Drop

Bandana Dee descends while twirling his spear downwards.

Back Air - Waddle Kick

Bandana Dee delivers a strong kick backwards.

Grab

Bandana Dee uses his left hand to grab opponents.

Pummel

Bandana Dee rapidly jabs his opponent with his spear.

Forward Throw - Spear Sweep

Bandana Dee pushes his spear onto his opponent before sweeping them away.

Up Throw- Circus Throw

Bandana Dee uses his parasol to twirl and tumble opponents around before tossing them.

Back Throw - Spear Suplex

Bandana Dee pushes his spear onto an opponent before hauling them backwards and over his head until they slam onto the ground behind him.

Down Throw - Waddle Slam

Bandana Dee throws his opponent onto the ground before jumping up and dropping a punch onto them.

Neutral Special - Waddle Spear Throw

Bandana Dee throws a single spear at an angle.

- Charging the move allows Bandana Dee to perform "Waddle Triple Throw", granting him three spears to throw instead of one.

- Spears temporarIly stick to a surface, allowing them to be picked up and thrown again.

- If Bandana Dee holds a spear in his hand, he will automatically throw two spears with "Waddle Spear Throw" and the charge will be shortened for "Waddle Triple Throw"

Side Special - Aqua Drill

This move allows Bandana Dee to use a combination of moves in a set order as follows:

Aqua Shot - Bandana Dee charges up his parasol to release a ball of water which stuns opponents.

Parasol Drill (activated after pressing the "B" button again) - Bandana Dee rushes forward with an open parasol.

Parasol Swing (activated after holding the "B" button down after activating Parasol Drill) - Bandana Dee's parasol flips inversely and splashes water at his opponents.

OR

Parasol Spin (activated after holding the "B" button down after activating Parasol Drill AND pushing the left stick downwards) - Bandana Dee spins his parasol 360 degress around him.

OR

Parasol Scoop (activated after holding the "B" button down after activating Parasol Drill AND pushing the left stick upwards) - Bandana Dee sweeps his parasol into the sky with an arc.

Up Special - Waddle Copter

Bandana Dee takes to the skies as he twirls his spear over his head like a helicopter blade, causing him to ascend for a certain period of time. Opponents caught in the ascension will potentially be juggled.

Down Special - Ground Thrust

Bandana Dee rushes forward with his spear brushing against the ground, before flicking it upwards to finish the move after he has traveled a certain distance.

Additionally, Bandana Dee can perform other moves with additional inputs as follows:

Spear Vault (activated by pressing the "B" button during Ground Thrust) - Bandana Dee launches himself into the air after dropping his spear.

Spinning Spear Strike (activated by pushing upwards on the left stick during Ground Thrust) - Bandana Dee launches forward at an angle whIle spinning his spear around his body before slamming the spear down to finish.

Reverse Thrust (activated by pushing the left stick in the opposite direction of movement during Ground Thrust) - Bandana Dee quickly shifts directions before traveling at a faster speed in that direction for a shorter distance before the move is completed. (This input cannot be reversed back again).

- These inputs can be combined to format combos.

For example:

Ground Thrust -> Spin Strike -> Spear Vault

OR

Ground Thrust -> Reverse Thrust -> Spin Strike -> Spear Vault

- Inputs would have to be timed correctly in order for certain combos to be achieved.

- Moves like Spear Vault would automatically end a combo.

- When used in the air, the move becomes "Air Thrust", moving Bandana Dee through the air much quickly, along with giving him the ability to automatically activate Spear Vault and spike/meteor opponents if you come in contact with them.

Final Smash - Ultra Megaton Punch (Cinematic)

Bandana Dee summons a boulder-sized Waddle Dee ball which slams into opponents within range, sending them flying to the Megaton Punch Arena.
Bandana Dee is then seen falling from the sky with a flaming fist before striking down on his opponents with an immense force. The camera then pans back into space, revealing that Pop Star was almost completely cracked in half in result of the punch, thus ending the cutscene.

Alternate Colors

- Waddle Doo (Red Bandana w/ Large Eyeball)
- Sailor Waddle Dee (White & Blue Bandana)
- Parasol Waddle Dee (Parasol-Themed Bandana)
- Gold Waddle Dee (Golden Color w/ Sapphire-Colored Bandana)
- Green Bandana Dee (w/ Dark-Green Bandana)
- Cyan Bandana Dee (w/ White Bandana)
- Key Dee (Identical Color Scheme w/ Gold Bandana + Light-Blue Star)

Overall though, Bandana Dee means quite a lot to me as a character and is basically the first character who showed me what it really means to rally behind a potential inclusion in Smash.

So, if I didn't imply this well enough already... I really hope he makes it in.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
THIS he's the fourth character because he's a waddle dee not because he had interesting aspects in his debut and BECAME the fourth from like the staff and fans liking his traits. He's not some breakout character that became opular he was just shunted into popularity because Waddle Dees are cute, but they couldnt JUST have a waddle dee in, thatd be too obvious. so they gave him a bandanna to individualize....only they put in the absolute minimum amount of effort.

It really says something that his defining trait is the thing he wears, even Captain Toad "Captain" i a title, it makes sense, Bandanna is just... "he wears a bandanna thats why he's different"
I have a few problems with this:
  • Wanting to have a prominent Waddle Dee character is pretty justified since Waddle Dees are often used to make Kirby's world feel more like a real place.
  • I don't think just adding a bandana is low-effort. Anything more could easily have made made his design either cluttered, or lose the appeal of the Waddle Dees in the first place.
  • For the record, Bandana Waddle Dee is one of King Dedede's captains. I think he's just on a more casual basis with everyone so he isn't usually addressed as such.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't doubt Bandana Dee popularity is genuine, but I very much believe much of it stems from the expectation -> popularity route of becoming a demanded character. As in, being the presumptive next Kirby character in line. I mean, I remember before Bandana Dee used to recur, and the "Kirby character" used to just flit between whoever was most recent; the origin of the character's popularity came from trying to buff the series' count more than the character itself.

That is all to say, if another Kirby character with popularity that seems a bit more organic began to recur even just once in a while, like Susie, or Marx, or Magolor, I do think Dee would lose a lot of the foothold he has popularity-wise.
Well, yeah. Support flares up when things are looking up and disappears when things go south. Case in point: Isaac. I can't bring myself to hate any of the Kirby cast (Except maybe ****ing Pyribbit), so I pour my support into the one who's the most likely, because that dream is most likely to be achieved. After Bandana Dee, If Magolor appeared in a supporting or major role in every game since RtDL and Bandana Dee only appeared once in a blue moon, I'd support Magolor. Bandana Dee gets my support because he's the most likely, plus I like his underdog role and cute, simplistic design.
Enough hitboxes to encompass the whole world.

I can already see it. The next Kirby character will have a SNK-boss style full screen attack that comes out in 2 frames.
Y'all ready for Astral Birth Void and their bootleg Touhou patterns? I sure am!:4pacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom