• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was watching this and oddly the screen goes black and the sound goes dead for about a minute after 2:41, was that always there?
That was always there. Weirdly I thought that was why they took it down originally lmao.
Well let's say of those that play Smash the 95% at least ACKNOWLEDGES it's a bad, bad choice. I've lost count how many ****ing FE characters, come on.
It wasn't a bad choice though.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well let's say of those that play Smash the 95% at least ACKNOWLEDGES it's a bad, bad choice. I've lost count how many ****ing FE characters, come on.
Man can't even count to 8 but he can also come up with precise statistics of how many people think Byleth is a bad choice

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
I’ll be honest, I don’t particularly care for Lloyd’s l aesthetic design as an outsider to his serious, and the prospect of another JRPG series character doesn’t exactly excite me. Add the fact that I have other Bamco characters I’d very much rather have, he’s not a very appealing choice for me.

still, I can not say he’s a bad pick or that these qualms would prevent him from getting in, he’s just a non-hype addition for me personally.
Frankly, this is my mindset. Never touched a Tales game, nor do I have an interest in it. But I do get it's a well-liked series and one of Bamco's long-running ones, so fine to me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only bad part about Byleth getting in is that it wasn't Edelgard instead but I digress.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, if I had the power to choose a Bandai-Namco rep, I'd choose Klonoa in a heartbeat... But we all know that's not happening. With that in mind, I'll be content to settle for Lloyd.
The only bad part about Byleth getting in is that it wasn't Edelgard instead but I digress.
The problem with that is that it would leave those who chose the other routes feeling really jilted, especially considering Edelgard's divisive status in the FE fandom. The Smash fandom being on fire was enough; We don't need people arguing about if El is fascist or not too.

Also Edelgard doesn't have haha funny tether recovery

Last edited:

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Daily reminder that even if for some reason Nintendo didn't want to add Lloyd specifically because of his mii costume from the LAST game, he is one protagonist in a series with over a dozen protagonists. Even though I vastly prefer Lloyd over him, Yuri would work just as well as the Tales representative as Lloyd, and in theory Lloyd's costume would come with him. So would another protagonist if we found out a port was coming to the switch next year. Unlike Tekken, there is no default representative or mascot of the series, Lloyd is just the most popular speculated character in this regard to smash. However, if his costume does randomly return, yeah the Tales of series is probably not getting a rep.

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
...I have a hard time seeing Byleth being near-universally hated, especially considering how the definition of a bad pick is going to be different between millions of different players.
Find me one person that, if asked, would seriously defend Byleth as a good choice.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Find me one person that, if asked, would seriously defend Byleth as a good choice.
I've wanted Byleth long before their reveal and I think they are a genuinely good addition to the roster due to multiple reasons.

I have a hunch that you'll just write me off as 1% and move your goalpost but whatever.

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean we went from Mario to Banjo over time. If we only took the top earners of each genre the roster would be hilariously small. Plus Tales is a massive IP.
Hey, thought experiment time! Could we get an Ultimate-sized roster from just the top earners... hmmm....

It would look something like this (going by this page, I'm skeptical of the actual numbers, but I'm going off this just for funsies. Also, discounting Smash Bros which is on that list with $3 Billion):

* Mario, Pokemon, Wii (Miis, Wii Fit), Pacman, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Dragon Quest, Zelda and Metal Gear survive the big time culling. We're down to 34 survivors, and we have 52 slots to fill here. Hoo boy. And I'm still sticking to "No 4th parties" just to be consistent.

* If we want to we can give the surviving franchises one extra character each, just to help soothe everyone's sanity. I'm going to do that. Say hello to Waluigi, Toxicrity, Matt, Ms. Pacman, Chun Li, Terra, Tails, DQ XI's Veronica, Midna and Raiden. We're up to 44 characters now, which is going to alliviate the inevitable collective wail that's about to happen.

* CoD, Space Invaders and Dungeon Fighter Online get in right off the bat. So does WarCraft (hello Thrall!), Crossfire and GTA. Sure, that's 50 characters now, but this is a grab bag of characters that people know about and don't know about aready (Crossfire especially since that's a giant ? amongst the Western hardcore). Oh, and we are getting "Franchises who might clash with Smash's aesthetics harder than Metal Gear" so that's a potential controversy magnet.

* Lineage, League of Legends, Monster Strike, Puzzle and Dragons and Fantasy Westward Journey get in next. 55. Lineage might be seen as a welcome surprise , and LoL has seen a small speculation surge... but we also get the first mobile representatives through MS and PaD. Now that would start a flame war just by itself. Fantasy Westward Journey is also another giant ? amongst the Western (and Japanese) hardcore, since that one's been China-exclusive for the longest time.

* Digimon (counting that on the ROB technicality), Arena of Valor (Honor of Kings), Clash of Clans, Halo and Candy Crush Saga get in next. 60. Three of these are mobile, and Digimon would have some voices calling it "4th party". Master Chief would be one of the least controversial of the bunch.

* Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed, Gran Turismo (yes, cars can fight), Monster Hunter and Resident Evil are next,, and we're up to 65. Some normalcy here after the last two batches, and both RE and Monster Hunter fans would get their wishes in this scenario.

* Skylanders, Fate, Tomb Raider, MapleStory and Battlefield are the next quintet. 70, just 16 more to go. Well, uhm, does Spyro get in via the Skylanders ticket? I dunno if the Spyro fans would accept that. Still, Battlefield would probably be the most contested of these five anyhow.

* Minecraft, PUBG, The Sims, Fortnite, Clash Royale, Guitar Hero, Mortal Kombat, and that's the whole list. 77 characters, and 9 slots left.

* For the remaining 9 slots, one can do whatever. Doling them myself for simplicity's sake: Pokemon, Mario (maybe this would be Geno's opening in this scenario), Street Fighter's, Final Fantasy's, Dragon Quest's (the negotiations with S-E though) and Sonic's third reps, LoL again, Halo again, and RE again.

So with that the Ultimate Top Earners' Game has 11 gun wielders, 7 mobile representatives plus a decent chunk of live service.

Suffice to say, it would be absolute anarchy in the Smash fanbase if Smash ever went for the Top Earners' route.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
That's a fun way of spelling Hilda.
I spoke too soon, didn't see your post. How do you defend an 8th FE character?
I do by seeing Smash not as a "gaming hall of fame" or "house of representatives" that many like to pretend it is; but rather as "Nintendo prominent characters, along some obscure ones and also guests from good business partners go around in cartoony fights, with fanservice included, and getting some ads along the way".

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Won't even bother to discuss this with you wackos, would rather go to the Freddy support thread. (and I don't care if you think Freddy is a good choice!) Let's just leave it at that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think Byleth was a good choice, but I wanted him in, dunno where I count in this equation.

Funny how a stupid argument about Tales devolved into Fire Emblem once more.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Won't even bother to discuss this with you wackos, would rather go to the Freddy support thread. (and I don't care if you think Freddy is a good choice!) Let's just leave it at that.
Alright pal you don't get to **** on Tales' legacy and influence and then support freaking Freddy Fazbear, at least be consistent in your elitism.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yo wassup a member of Byleth gang here, we still livin':

Real talk, I'm still playing and lovin' 'em even now. Not everyone hated them, in fact, it was a pretty vocal minority when you leave the Smash bubble. I screamed with legit hype and joy when Byleth was revealed and I hadn't even played Three Houses yet, I just thought they looked cool.

Different strokes for different folks. :drshrug:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
How will I cope the loss of such a polite and mature user? :sadsheep:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
That's a fun way of spelling Hilda.

I do by seeing Smash not as a "gaming hall of fame" or "house of representatives" that many like to pretend it is; but rather as "Nintendo prominent characters, along some obscure ones and also guests from good business partners go around in cartoony fights, with fanservice included, and getting some ads along the way".
Be honest, you don't WANT ads. And that's exactly what Byleth as a choice is, an ad, nothing more, nothing less.
I've wanted Byleth long before their reveal and I think they are a genuinely good addition to the roster due to multiple reasons.

I have a hunch that you'll just write me off as 1% and move your goalpost but whatever.
I'm guessing you would also defend Joker? Different people different tastes, what can I say.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The only objectively bad pick is Mario, cuz he started it all and set a precedence for litterally any other video game character, and that's no good:4pacman:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Be honest, you don't WANT ads. And that's exactly what Byleth as a choice is, an ad, nothing more, nothing less.
My most wanted in the Smash 4 days was Palutena because I loved her in Kid Icarus: Uprising, as well as really liking the game and I wanted more people to be aware of it and make it more succesful.

That's basically wanting an ad.

Byleth was simply more blatant than others, and I'll admit, came at a time when I don't blame the speculation scene for thinking things would end in a bang for once, looking at the rest of the pass.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They also happen to be the protagonist of a highly successful, popular and critically acclaimed game who brough a unique fighting style to Smash but...

I'm guessing you would also defend Joker? Different people different tastes, what can I say.
It seems you're firmly on the "all recent characters are promotional evil" camp.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I spoke too soon, didn't see your post. How do you defend an 8th FE character?
Because Three Houses is the best selling game in the series and is like, the second best critically received, only behind Awakening on Metacritic iirc. Getting a character, to me, was never an if but a when. Look at how it did at The Game Awards. Look at all the discussion about the game online. Look at how much fan content exists for it, be it fan art, character analyses, fan fiction, videos, just...everything. The game was a smash hit. Look at how many people made content specifically for its first anniversary. Nintendo themselves even made posts celebrating Edelgard and Claude's birthdays, and they'll almost certainly do it for Dimitri too come December.

A lot of games just come and go but Three Houses cemented itself as a fandom juggernaut. It's not a game that's easily glossed over. People are still playing it, and loving it, to this day, more than a year later. And considering Nintendo wanted a character from a game people were still actively playing, a Three Houses character made perfect sense. It's a game that connects to people.

That is why Byleth was a good pick. Even if I think other characters from Three Houses would have been better, more interesting picks, a Three Houses character in general was a super good call that shouldn't just be dismissed.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
imo Corrin was the most blatant shill pick as their game wasn't even out in the West yet

but I digress. shill picks aren't inherently a bad thing as they can drive attention to their source material

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, typically when the creator says this they don't get in Smash. Though Kamiya did mention a bunch of other characters too, and I doubt all of them are deconfirmed.
While it's nice, it's not like it matters much. Kamiya created Okami but he works at Platinum so the decision of including Amaterasu, Dante or any other character he created isn't up to him.

Any character in the game could be considered as an ad for his game or his franchise. A character being in a crossover game is directly or indirectly making promotion of his series, you know.

I mean I wasn't ecstatic for Byleth and you're free to dislike him but this attitude won't solve anything, and you know it. It isn't necessary to act unpleasant with people who liked the character. This also goes for Lloyd, not only Byleth.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I honestly have no idea why being a "shill" or advertisement character is a negative thing. Byleth is a fun character that represents an awesome game.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
My most wanted in the Smash 4 days was Palutena because I loved her in Kid Icarus: Uprising, as well as really liking the game and I wanted more people to be aware of it and make it more succesful.

That's basically wanting an ad.

Byleth was simply more blatant than others, and I'll admit, came at a time when I don't blame the speculation scene for thinking things would end in a bang for once, looking at the rest of the pass.
Because Three Houses is the best selling game in the series and is like, the second best critically received, only behind Awakening on Metacritic iirc. Getting a character, to me, was never an if but a when. Look at how it did at The Game Awards. Look at all the discussion about the game online. Look at how much fan content exists for it, be it fan art, character analyses, fan fiction, videos, just...everything. The game was a smash hit. Look at how many people made content specifically for its first anniversary. Nintendo themselves even made posts celebrating Edelgard and Claude's birthdays, and they'll almost certainly do it for Dimitri too come December.

A lot of games just come and go but Three Houses cemented itself as a fandom juggernaut. It's not a game that's easily glossed over. People are still playing and, and loving it, to this day, more than a year later. And considering Nintendo wanted a character from a game people were still actively playing, a Three Houses character made perfect sense. It's a game that connects to people.

That is why Byleth was a good pick. Even if I think other characters from Three Houses would have been better, more interesting picks, a Three Houses character in general was a super good call that shouldn't just be dismissed.
They also happen to be the protagonist of a highly successful, popular and critically acclaimed game who brough a unique fighting style to Smash but...

It seems you're firmly on the "all recent characters are promotional evil" camp.
Still the 8th Fire Emblem character.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
The only objectively bad pick is Mario, cuz he started it all and set a precedence for litterally any other video game character, and that's no good:4pacman:
No.

The reason why he's a bad choice is because he's an animal abuser who started this all by kicking poor clueless Yoshi, and enabling Donkey Kong and Pikachu to follow this horrible path of destruction.

This degenerate kickstarted the events that would lead to the world be almost consumed by Subspace and then be Thanos snapped.

He is the one at fault.
I honestly have no idea why being a "shill" or advertisement character is a negative thing. Byleth is a fun character that represents an awesome game.
In a nutshell, people see them as a "threat" for whoever they want not getting in.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Hero, Terry and Banjo confirmed bad choices because Hero's page links to the DQ11S page, Terry's page links to the Fatal Fury page and Sakurai told people to buy an Xbox in the Banjo stream therefore they're shill picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom