• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wonder why the video was made private? Did they leak an actual Smash character and they didn't want Nintendo to find out that they broke their NDA?
Highly doubtful. But obviously something caused it right. I wonder if they'll edit out anything.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Let us be realistic and serious:
Going from Dragon Quest to Tales is a ridiculous downgrade. Dragon Quest is the most iconic and influential JRPG series of all time together with FF. No offense to Tales fans but Tales is pretty much just the more popular of many anime JRPGs. Going from Hero to Lloyd is a comical downgrade. Awfully sticks out. Do we really need this literal anime swordsman?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Going from Dragon Quest to Tales is a ridiculous downgrade. Dragon Quest is the most iconic and influential JRPG series of all time together with FF. No offense to Tales fans but Tales is pretty much just the more popular of many anime JRPGs. Going from Hero to Lloyd is a comical downgrade. Awfully sticks out. Do we really need this literal anime swordsman?
As someone with little knowledge of the Tales of series...
Yes, we do. He's a dual-wielding combo monster that sounds like SSS-tier main material, assuming it's executed right. Besides, we went from Ryu to Terry while skipping guys like Heihachi or Scorpion, and we had Joker in between Cloud and Hero. I'm sure we'll live.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean we went from Mario to Banjo over time. If we only took the top earners of each genre the roster would be hilariously small. Plus Tales is a massive IP.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I prefer heihachi to be the 2nd namco rep instead of a tales character

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I haven't seen the gamexplain video but what cause them to private the video other than Kamiya wanting Amaterasu.
Honestly it's probably technical issues. The original had a random minute of silent black screen in the middle.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Comparing any RPG outside of Pokemon or Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest is just being silly.
Of course nothing will really stand up to them.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even if I really did want Lloyd Irving, it's pretty hard to ignore the ever increasing chance of him returning as a Mii costume.

I think we're down to six Mii costumes that are still MIA, and seeing how Heihachi made a random return with Min Min, I don't consider Lloyd's absence all that mysterious.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Look, your niche JRPG series might be way more popular and well known than my niche JRPG series, but does your niche JRPG series have... this?

featuring-dante-png-4.png

oh i don't think so.gif

Of course, this is no longer applicable since the licensing agreement ran out.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
at this rate, if Bandai Namco were to get a new DLC, it wouldn't be Lloyd or Gil, since their costumes are likely to return given Heihachi's did. I have yet to see a Mii Costume from 4 promoted to playable in Ult's DLC, so far they've all been in the base game (Isabelle, Chrom, Inkling, King K. Rool).

I think Bamco would take a "dark horse" pick at this point, like someone from Soul Calibur or Dark Souls, or if they really wanna surprise people, someone like KOS-MOS, a God Eater character or Klonoa

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'all better be ready for the Tales series "Guess Who" game we gonna do in 2 months' time.

1596302568890.png

Not even mentioning the Berseria girl and the Arise duo.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Jon GameXplain, is that you?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Going from Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest is a ridiculous downgrade. Final Fantasy is the most iconic and influential JRPG series of all time together with Pokémon. No offense to DQ fans but DQ is pretty much just the more popular of many anime JRPGs. Going from Cloud to Erdrick is a comical downgrade. Awfully sticks out. Do we really need this literal anime swordsman?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
-More Tales bashing.

iamdisapoint.png

We still doin' this, huh.

Like, yeah, it ain't Final Fantasy here in the west, but c'mon, it's not some no name.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Good news anyone who cares, I've finally gone up to ripping Switch models from the source and not just from Model's Resource.
Also learned that apparently this double-headed trident is called a halberd in the game files. Gonna work on texturing Ganon.
1596303258439.png

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Going from Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest is a ridiculous downgrade. Final Fantasy is the most iconic and influential JRPG series of all time together with Pokémon. No offense to DQ fans but DQ is pretty much just the more popular of many anime JRPGs. Going from Cloud to Erdrick is a comical downgrade. Awfully sticks out. Do we really need this literal anime swordsman?
You can joke about that but you know it doesn't have an ounce of truth in it. Final Fantasy wouldn't even exist without Dragon Quest. Pointless jokes.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
We literally went from the protagonist of a well-known RPG series whose latest main entry received critical acclaim, becoming the best selling game of its series to the point it won a GOTY award, to Dragon Quest, whose legendary status you already described, to a first party character from a recent game of a series that was already in and had "shill pick" written all over their face, as good as their game is, this coming from someone who was hyped for Byleth.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’ll be honest, I don’t particularly care for Lloyd’s l aesthetic design as an outsider to his serious, and the prospect of another JRPG series character doesn’t exactly excite me. Add the fact that I have other Bamco characters I’d very much rather have, he’s not a very appealing choice for me.

still, I can not say he’s a bad pick or that these qualms would prevent him from getting in, he’s just a non-hype addition for me personally.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ah, we copypasta now, eh?
Going from Street Fighter to Fatal Fury is a ridiculous downgrade. Street Fighter is the most iconic and influential fighting game series of all time together with Tekken*. No offense to Fatal Fury fans but Fatal Fury is pretty much just the more popular of many 2D fighting games. Going from Ryu to Terry is a comical downgrade. Awfully sticks out. Do we really need this literal street fighter?
*Tekken can be exchanged for Mortal Kombat, I think. I'm not sure what the more accurate comparison would be.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
We literally went from the protagonist of a well-known RPG series whose latest main entry received critical acclaim, becoming the best selling game of its series to the point it won a GOTY award, to Dragon Quest, whose legendary status you already described, to a first party character from a recent game of a series that was already in and had "shill pick" written all over their face, as good as their game is, this coming from someone who was hyped for Byleth.
Exactly. The 99% hated Byleth.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Good news anyone who cares, I've finally gone up to ripping Switch models from the source and not just from Model's Resource.
Also learned that apparently this double-headed trident is called a halberd in the game files. Gonna work on texturing Ganon.
View attachment 280780
Now that's one major notable thing. Calling it a halberd. It makes sense, considering the design. It also is widely different from his regular Trident.

Perhaps he could have both weapons, via his palette swaps. Like his classic ALTTP look and redesigned Toon style? Doesn't he use the regular Trident only in the Toon style games-wise. I know he has the Trident in the Comics. As well as various artwork. Besides that, have you rigged a regular Trident model too for him to use? Assuming it was in the files or is easy enough to make.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ll be honest, I don’t particularly care for Lloyd’s l aesthetic design as an outsider to his serious, and the prospect of another JRPG series character doesn’t exactly excite me. Add the fact that I have other Bamco characters I’d very much rather have, he’s not a very appealing choice for me.

still, I can not say he’s a bad pick or that these qualms would prevent him from getting in, he’s just a non-hype addition for me personally.
in my case, I also have a certain other character who also wields dual swords....she has dual guns and a mech too, so if we were to get a dual wielder I'd rather she fill that niche

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
99% is an exaggeration. Their YT dislike ratio is around 2/3 of likes; many were disappointed but moved on, plenty were also neutral to the whole thing, and a number of people did legit like it.

Really it was a minority that have a deep hatred of Byleth compared to the above.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You can joke about that but you know it doesn't have an ounce of truth in it. Final Fantasy wouldn't even exist without Dragon Quest. Pointless jokes.
Skipping Ultima for Final Fantasy is a ridiculous downgrade. Ultima is the most iconic and influential JRPG series of all time together with Wizardry. No offense to FF fans but FF is pretty much just the more popular of many anime JRPGs. Going from the Avatar to Cloud is a comical downgrade. Awfully sticks out. Do we really need this literal anime swordsman?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Actually, if we're being specific it was only about 30-40%, if YouTube's likes and dislikes are any indication. The highest ratio of Ultimate's lifetime, yes, but nowhere near as hated as people make them out to be.

Last edited:

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Byleth was controversial but you're letting your bias cloud your observation skills if you believe this unironically.
Well let's say of those that play Smash the 95% at least ACKNOWLEDGES it's a bad, bad choice. I've lost count how many ****ing FE characters, come on.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
This is a very interesting interview over all, but as far as being relevant to the point thread, Kamiya would like to see Amaterasu in Smash, so that's cool.
I was watching this and oddly the screen goes black and the sound goes dead for about a minute after 2:41, was that always there?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was watching this and oddly the screen goes black and the sound goes dead for about a minute after 2:41, was that always there?
given that the video went private a little while ago, probably not

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well let's say of those that play Smash the 95% at least ACKNOWLEDGES it's a bad, bad choice. I've lost count how many ****ing FE characters, come on.
...I have a hard time seeing Byleth being near-universally hated, especially considering how the definition of a bad pick is going to be different between millions of different players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom