• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Goombella so i can spam her infinite headbonk move and break the game
Goombella would be definitely busted
All of the partners are inferior to Jolene.

View attachment 280253
(0_0) ok
jesus ****ing christ dude you hella overpaid for that, i got mine for 20 from a gamestop
I don't get Gamecube games from gamestop
I also spent $130 on Mario Kart Double Dash and $100 Mario Pary 5 (I don't know why, I think this was on my mind)
tho for Custom Robo and Mario Golf Toadstool Tour they weren't expensive
and I got more within 2 months

Crazy Right

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You know how this fandom can be overly quick to call characters "confirmed" to the point its a bit of a meme to to call something "confirmed" over the slightest hint?

I feel we're the same way with the term "deconfirm". Confirmed implies we know something for certain and deconfirmed is the same way. Just look at how much people doubled down on spirits "deconfirm" until the ARMS character announcement came around.

What we should be asking is if costumes hurt a character's chances. It's a bit hasty to say they do or don't confirm outright when we can't know for certain until precedent is broken or a developer says as much themselves.
I think they're fine if they're in the base game. We got a base game Spirit promoted, so the costumes shouldn't be any different. The FP1 Miis I think are a pretty major blow to their chances, since they'd pretty much be selling the same character twice. I think it's especially bad for Miis that have a song with them, since the song would most likely be with their Challenger's Pack and would render the PreMiium bundle redundant. FP2 Miis are definitely off the table, since they wouldn't be sold twice in the same pass. That being said, so far the only major casualty from the DLC Miis that wouldn't be deconfirmed by other means is Heihachi.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Goombella would be definitely busted

(0_0) ok

I don't get Gamecube games from gamestop
I also spent $130 on Mario Kart Double Dash and $100 Mario Pary 5 (I don't know why, I think this was on my mind)
tho for Custom Robo and Mario Golf Toadstool Tour they weren't expensive
and I got more within 2 months

Crazy Right
BRO

You sure you couldn’t find them for cheaper elsewhere???

i personally would just be a cheapskate and emulate

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
BRO

You sure you couldn’t find them for cheaper elsewhere???

i personally would just be a cheapskate and emulate
I couldn't, I also ordered Soul Calibur 2, tho that costed me only $20
also i don't due gamecube emulation

There other games like movie games, tho they are extremely cheap, for now I will take a Break
Currently played Paper Mario TTYD, First time I played that game

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Only place I know of where I can pick up Path of Radiance for 5.
To clarify I mostly want it complete in Box (Case, Game, and Manuel), not if it is just the Disc, also not have too many scratches

also I remember ordering two gamecube games, and one didn't work

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Don't worry about it. Even if I thought it was pointless to support a character, I wouldn't try to make other people stop. People can think what they want.

But, for reference, no one ever called Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno the "four never-evers" until most of them actually got in, and then people claimed retroactively that this was considered some group of impossibilities. They were never even a quartet to begin with.

It's huge revisionism. Simply not getting in the first time people tried doesn't colour them impossible. If people believed these characters impossible, they wouldn't be popular. You need expectation to reach the apex of demand. I mean, if you went into the Geno thread and asked them if they thought he was impossible, what do you expect would happen? The only character that was at one point thought to be impossible was Banjo, and not-so-coincidentally, that's when his demand dried up. I guess at points some people thought Ridley would never make it, but obviously that was hotly contested.

And again, that group of four was never a thing. The only thing that ties them together was at one point they were all among the most popular. But then again so too have characters like Sonic, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Isaac, Waluigi, Diddy, Wario, Dedede, Inkling, etc. etc. etc. And most of those characters also had a wait before they were included, if they were included at all.

It's Zell.
I have to tell you this is where i disagree with you. With all due respect, I can only conclude that we both must have ran in completely different circles of people if this is the conclusion you've come to. It's actually kind of concerning to me because it gives off the vibe you think I'm lying or looking at all of this in retrospect with evil intent. I would not sit here and come into this thread with all of the people in it siding against me and tell you this was so without deep enough personal conviction. I have NOTHING to gain but ridicule for the positions im taking and this conversation we're having, but I stand by what I have said: Supporting the characters I have fought for has been a living hell filled with the exact things I've mentioned, and it is.....STARTLING....to me, That someone who's a Banjo main like you doesn't see what I'm talking about. NO ONE can ever convince me that the sick things I've been forced to endure as a result of my support never happened. Im sorry, But yes: "Never Ever" was and still is a very real phase in certain places. Maybe not this one (People can be far more low key about it here) But if you're going to tell me support for a character is not something that gets you bullied, harassed and ridiculed, you'd be incorrect. People were told for years supporting Ridley was a fools errand, people were DEFINITELY that way toward K, Rool ("Your fat irrelevant lizard will never be in smash") and ESPECIALLY Banjo! God, I can still hear "Banjoke" and "Cereal box mascot" in my dreams.

I wish I could convince you otherwise, but I know I'm not going to, and I'm sure whatever your response is will garner a ton of likes because we all like to pretend this is a just, good and fair community that's largely tolerant to all, but for me and many others that hasn't been the case and only because some of our characters are in the game has the bullying finally ceased. I'm sure you might argue that im blowing up some tiny, insignificant portion of people and I wish I could tell you that felt like the case, but I think it's important that this community starts coming aware that it has a major problem with elitism and exclusion, because it absolutely does and I've seen it first hand. We need to start treating people like actual people and not judge them based on what characters they do or don't like. It DOES happen. and it has an effect on us. Just ask Fatmanonice Fatmanonice about the mental pain people cause him ever day and what it's done to him. This behavior EXISTS and to turn a blind eye to it only encourages it. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I'm asking you: Try to understand i'm not just saying these things for sympathy or gratification. They are real, they are toxic and they can hurt people.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To clarify I mostly want it complete in Box (Case, Game, and Manuel), not if it is just the Disc, also not have too many scratches
Yes. And I got it for 5. I'm kinda cheating though, I got it in 2011.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I have to tell you this is where i disagree with you. With all due respect, I can only conclude that we both must have ran in completely different circles of people if this is the conclusion you've come to. It's actually kind of concerning to me because it gives off the vibe you think I'm lying or looking at all of this in retrospect with evil intent. I would not sit here and come into this thread with all of the people in it siding against me and tell you this was so. I have NOTHING to gain but ridicule for the positions im taking and this conversation we're having, but I stand by what I have said: Supporting the characters I have fought for has been a living hell filled with the exact things I've mentioned, and it is.....STARTLING....to me, That someone who's a Banjo main like you doesn't see what I'm talking about. NO ONE can ever convince me that the sick things I've been forced to endure as a result of my support never happened. Im sorry, But yes: "Never Ever" was and still is a very real phase in certain places. Maybe not this one (People can be far more low key about it here) But if you're going to tell me support for a character is not something that gets you bullied, harassed and ridiculed, you'd be incorrect. People were told for years supporting Ridley was a fools errand, people were DEFINITELY that way toward K, Rool ("Your fat irrelevant lizard will never be in smash") and ESPECIALLY Banjo! God, I can still hear "Banjoke" and "Cereal box mascot" in my dreams.

I wish I could convince you otherwise, but I know I'm not going to, and I'm sure whatever your response is will garner a ton of likes because we all like to pretend this is a just, good and fair community that's largely tolerant to all, but for me and many others that hasn't been the case and only because some of our characters are in the game has the bullying finally ceased. I'm sure you might argue that im blowing up some tiny, insignificant portion of people and I wish I could tell you that felt like the case, but I think it's important that this community starts coming aware that it has a major problem with elitism and exclusion, because it absolutely does and I've seen it first hand. We need to start treating people like actual people and not judge them based on what characters they do or don't like. It DOES happen. and it has an effect on us. Just ask Fatmanonice Fatmanonice about the mental pain people cause him ever day and what it's done to him. This behavior EXISTS and to turn a blind eye to it only encourages it. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I'm asking you: Try to understand i'm not just saying these things for sympathy or gratification. They are real, they are toxic and they can hurt people.
Good god, don't tag me in this thread...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
My post isn't related to speculation, but I just want to remind people that right now on the American Eshop there's some very good deal if you're bored and want something to play:
-There's a lot of Capcom games in sales like Okami hd at 10$, Phoenix Wright trilogy for 15$ and a bunch of Resident evil games that are between 7$ to 15$
-Square enix also have a huge sales with FFX/X2 collection at 25$, Collection of Mana at 20$, world of final fantasy at 20$ and many more Final fantasy titles in sale.
-If you're into that there's also a bunch of Lego games that are between 10$ to 15$
-Crash trilogy and Spyro trilogy are 20$ each

There's probably more than that but it's a good place to start if you're looking for a game to play. Yes, I also want new announcement, but it's not illegal to play older games sometimes.
I’ll add to this. Celeste is currently $5 through to the 30th. Definitely a good game to spend your downtime, and a very good story to go with it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
My post isn't related to speculation, but I just want to remind people that right now on the American Eshop there's some very good deal if you're bored and want something to play:
-There's a lot of Capcom games in sales like Okami hd at 10$, Phoenix Wright trilogy for 15$ and a bunch of Resident evil games that are between 7$ to 15$
-Square enix also have a huge sales with FFX/X2 collection at 25$, Collection of Mana at 20$, world of final fantasy at 20$ and many more Final fantasy titles in sale.
-If you're into that there's also a bunch of Lego games that are between 10$ to 15$
-Crash trilogy and Spyro trilogy are 20$ each

There's probably more than that but it's a good place to start if you're looking for a game to play. Yes, I also want new announcement, but it's not illegal to play older games sometimes.
Everyone buy Okami, no excuses

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Everyone buy Okami, no excuses
How long is it? I'm in the middle of Xenoblade and I'm a bit hesitant to get anything of massive length for a while.
(Also I want to take advantage of the Atelier Ryza sale so yeah)
EDIT: Oh, it's only like half of Xenoblade's length? That's pretty manageable, actually. Think I might check it out.

Last edited:

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
How long is it? I'm in the middle of Xenoblade and I'm a bit hesitant to get anything of massive length for a while.
(Also I want to take advantage of the Atelier Ryza sale so yeah)
It's a pretty long game, around the same length as one of the longer Zeldas. I'd compare it to Skyward Sword where there's three "acts", so to speak, followed by a short finale. Unlike Skyward Sword, though, each act takes place in a new region with new characters, so even at the end you're still being wowed with new stuff instead of collecting ****ing tadpoles. And there's only one boss you fight three times!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is there anything relevant happening? Some credible leak or interesting rumour?
I wish fam

rn all we got to go by are the two maintenance dates of tomorrow and August 3rd, and the slim hope we'll see (mini-) Directs around those days

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The game has 4 final bosses
I mean, I've slogged my way through Star Dream Soul OS and Astral Chain's final boss (On Casual Mode, but still). It shouldn't be too bad.
Is there anything relevant happening? Some credible leak or interesting rumour?
Not really. I think Zell/Tsubasa said we'll be getting a general direct in August and a checkpoint in between (Though we don't know if he means a wait or another small direct) and there's the investor's meeting thing, but some of us seem to be getting really tired of direct leaks so maybe we shouldn't talk about those.
I just say look at tomorrow, the end of the month, and the 3rd, then every Tuesday or Thursday after that. It's always nice to have a date in mind but not put too much stock in it. Make the wait easier is you take it bit by bit.
In other news, there's this game called Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin coming this November that everyone here needs to check out. If you need a new release to look forward to, look forward to that.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I've slogged my way through Star Dream Soul OS and Astral Chain's final boss (On Casual Mode, but still). It shouldn't be too bad.
He doesn't mean like that (though the final boss is pretty long), he's talking about the whole act thing I mentioned in my other post.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
He doesn't mean like that (though the final boss is pretty long), he's talking about the whole act thing I mentioned in my other post.
So you mean it baits you out, only to go "Actually, this guy is the real final boss!" a lot? I mean, Kid Icarus: Uprising is like that too, so I don't think it should be too bad.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Just ask Fatmanonice about the mental pain people cause him ever day and what it's done to him. This behavior EXISTS and to turn a blind eye to it only encourages it. I don't expect you to agree with me, but I'm asking you: Try to understand i'm not just saying these things for sympathy or gratification. They are real, they are toxic and they can hurt people.
There are toxic people on the internet and in the Smash community. I don't really know what you want from this post. When people are toxic in this thread, they are generally called out on it. And I have to be honest, if "cereal mascot" is the meanest thing you read online then things are probably going pretty swell for you.

I don't want to make it sound like Fatman deserves any personal attacks, but if you call people's most wanted characters "weeb waifu trash" then you should expect people to clap back. Anyway, lets not bring him into the discussion again it gets out of hand.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
There are toxic people on the internet and in the Smash community. I don't really know what you want from this post. When people are toxic in this thread, they are generally called out on it. And I have to be honest, if "cereal mascot" is the meanest thing you read online then things are probably going pretty swell for you.

I don't want to make it sound like Fatman deserves any personal attacks, but if you call people's most wanted characters "weeb waifu trash" then you should expect people to clap back. Anyway, lets not bring him into the discussion again it gets out of hand.
Thats not it either, friend. However, I'll refrain from pursuing this further as I think the last thing we need is to go any deeper down the rabbit hole. I will say, however, that I'm against character discrimination in all forms. What I speak of goes for beyond the examples I gave and beyond the reach of this thread.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Thats not it either, friend. However, I'll refrain from pursuing this further as I think the last thing we need is to go any deeper down the rabbit hole. I will say, however, that I'm against character discrimination in all forms. What I speak of goes for beyond the examples I gave and beyond the reach of this thread.
Not trying to be rude, but saying you don't think a character is likely doesn't mean we're flipping off anyone who wants them. Some people can be real ****es about it and that's not the way to go about things, but stating your beliefs on if a character is likely or not is a natural and inevitable part of speculation. Some people think a character could be likely because of (X) reasons, others don't because of (Y) reasons. In addition, people gauge things differently; One person could take one thing as a sign of good things to come, while others could see it as a death sentence. I have a good number of unlikely characters (i.e. Klonoa), but it's not wrong to say someone is morally wrong for saying they're not likely. It's wrong to go after fans of a character and be a **** to them, but there's nothing wrong with saying how likely you think a character is. And in the end, it's just a game where a bunch of people from a bunch of different games engage in epic slapfights. There's much worse things in the world than a video game.

Unless, of course, I misinterpreted this whole thing and you meant something else, in which it's all on me and you're totally allowed to lay into me.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Someone mentioned that Confirm and Deconfirm are 100% Statements, and that rather than using absolutues, we discuss if something HURTS a characters chances rather than if something deconfirms

In that Case, I just want to say that I think Mii Costume hurts the most, Followed by Assist Trophy, and then Spirits

We do have Mii Costumes of already Playable characters, however We've never gotten a NEW Character after their Mii Costume debuted in the same game, and unlike Assist Tophies, Mii Costumes are supposed to give you the feeling of "Playing" that character (as Sakurai stated with Rex in the November Direct).

Spirits Obviously hurt the least because Min-Min came through

Having said that, I don't think neither of these deconfirm, but it is something to consider when talking Characters chances

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Not trying to be rude, but saying you don't think a character is likely doesn't mean we're flipping off anyone who wants them. Some people can be real ****es about it and that's not the way to go about things, but stating your beliefs on if a character is likely or not is a natural and inevitable part of speculation. Some people think a character could be likely because of (X) reasons, others don't because of (Y) reasons. In addition, people gauge things differently; One person could take one thing as a sign of good things to come, while others could see it as a death sentence. I have a good number of unlikely characters (i.e. Klonoa), but it's not wrong to say someone is morally wrong for saying they're not likely. It's wrong to go after fans of a character and be a **** to them, but there's nothing wrong with saying how likely you think a character is. And in the end, it's just a game where a bunch of people from a bunch of different games engage in epic slapfights. There's much worse things in the world than a video game.

Unless, of course, I misinterpreted this whole thing and you meant something else, in which it's all on me and you're totally allowed to lay into me.
Obviously if one is willing to have calm, intelligent discussion about a character's viability that's all well and good. My issue is not with those people.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What we have is two groups who don't police themselves.

Both the Geno thread and the character discussion thread get pretty darn mean at times.

If you think one is innocent, then perhaps you're a part of the problem.

There's a reason why people avoid both threads.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So you mean it baits you out, only to go "Actually, this guy is the real final boss!" a lot? I mean, Kid Icarus: Uprising is like that too, so I don't think it should be too bad.
Okami is separated in 3 acts. At the end of each act, the game could have end and it would have make sense, but it always continue for more. It's hard to be more precise without spoiling, but it's a very good game with a lot of surprise. And it is a very lengthy game. It took me personally around 25 hours, but I skip most of the side quest and rush some part, depending of how you play it could take you as mush as 30-35 hours.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But what if Luigi was removed for a reason? What if we're all making a horrible mistake? WHAT IF WE'RE ALL PLAYING GOD!?!?!
save that for the creepypasta reddit, they'll love your cheesy premises

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
And what's wrong with that? At the end of the day, the only thing directly impacted is Nintendo's bottom line.

Fans still have options. It's not like Nintendo's past games suddenly don't exist. Go back and play some games you initially passed up, or jump back into an old favorite; maybe sample a new franchise or two. Take advantage of sales to play third party series that are interesting to you. If you have a Playstation or Xbox lying around maybe scoop up some cheap games for those. Sony's always running sales, and Xbox has Game Pass, which, again, is literally gaming Netflix.

I apologize if any of this comes off as angry or aggressive, but it's like, there's more than all this, you know? I see so many people seriously lamenting Nintendo's media silence as of late, and I believe it'd be more productive overall to just focus on other endeavors to pass the time until something does happen.

It's like the old saying says: "a watched pot doesn't boil." Asking about Nintendo's media silence or wishing for a Direct isn't going to make something come faster. It's only going to hurt people in the long run.
While I agree that late announcements don't really harm the consumer in the long run, I still think it's a perfectly valid response to feel somewhat upset by the lack of communication on Nintendo's part. For many, the pre-release period of a game has become an enjoyable part of the cycle. Watching trailers, discussing upcoming releases with friends, and imagining what content could make it to the final release is one of the most fun parts of gaming. I mean, we are on a thread devoted to discussing future content for a video game after all and this thread is one of (if not the) most popular thread on the board, so clearly there's some appeal that people get from discussing this sort of thing.

Likewise, while I agree that people shouldn't devote their entire lives to chasing potential directs and tweeting at Nintendo to release the new trailers, but those people largely seem to be in the minority. The silent majority instead seems to be folks who live semi-well rounded lives and are just curious about exactly what's happening next for the Big N beyond DLC.

Plus, I don't think it's been an unreasonable amount of time to expect new content from Nintendo. It's been nearly 11 months since the last full Direct. We've only received two new announcements this year, one of which was a mini-game and the other was a somewhat contentious release. Backlogs and other publishers are also a great way to reduce the wait, but I don't necessarily think they're a full replacement for new Nintendo announcements. Nintendo's games are often relative unique relative to what the rest of the industry is doing (for better or for worse), so it can be difficult to find similar experiences from other devs. I don't think patience and an expectation of slightly more in terms of communication are mutually exclusive in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom