• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably. Still though, even as random as it is, it seemed to only occur once from what ive seen. Perhaps we can try to experiment and replicate it

On the topic of Daisy. Peach, her Echo counterpart i don't believe has as many glitches. Speculation is that there's some physics thing Daisy has that Peach doesn't have. This physics thing also seemed to affect Marth as well, so I don't know
Marth? Where?

I know the PapaGenos video said his model turned black when used against daisy, but black models are also very common, even happening in WoL or when Ken's FS is activated under specific circumstances

7NATOR

Smash Master
Marth? Where?

I know the PapaGenos video said his model turned black when used against daisy, but black models are also very common, even happening in WoL or when Ken's FS is activated under specific circumstances
Yeah that's the one. I guess it isn't notable, but it's weird it only seems to be happening against Daisy, and it's also Weird that Peach herself isn't affected. Like i said, it might be because of some Physics Daisy's Dress has that Peach doesn't

Slime Master

Smash Ace
My issue with glitch theory is that it's so ambiguous that it usually just leads to people talking about the popular suspects anyway. I think a 4chan text leak has about the same credibility as any glitch, but we just recently had one that brought Ryza, a character I hadn't ever seen discussed before, onto the table. If a leak is obviously fake, it should at least lead to interesting discussions, but glitches rarely do anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What I think all these glitches indicate is... it's hard to make a technically flawless game.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Just got Paper Mario TTYD for Gamecube, costed $200

Random pick how about a partner character, or more specifically one of the partners
which partner would be cool

here is the list:
Goombella
Koops
Madame Flurrie
Yoshi Kid
Vivian
Admiral Bobbery
Ms. Mowz

Here is My pick
1200px-PMTTYD_Vivian_Main_Artwork.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ultimate is a game with over 80 characters and counting. With every update, there are bugs and glitches that tend to get past without anyone either not knowing about it or not having enough time to fix it before it releases.

Just because some characters may have glitches doesn't automatically mean the next DLC character will be based on them. That's like saying every glitch in Fallout and Skyrim all leads to their next DLC expansion.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
thonk.png

anyone familiar with the C. Tsubasa person being mention and if he's reputable?

so I guess then, another Partner/Indie Mini tomorrow and full actual direct on the 3rd?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Chances are his stage would be Forest Maze.
Maybe. Everyone just assumes that because that's where you meet Geno. But otherwise it's a fairly generic forest. The most iconic location in SMRPG is Bowser's Castle. It's even on the box. And as we've seen with Min Min, we don't really need a stage that is tied to that specific character, just one that is from their game.

I don't know. Forest Maze is pretty boring and doesn't have the same stage potential as Bowser's Castle. All it's got going for it is that song and it's where you meet Geno. Heck, I associate that kid's house with Geno more than I do the forest! It's not like Geno lives in Forest Maze. Why does that have to be "Geno's Place"?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Maybe the DLC characters don't use one character as a base but are made from scratch and then borrow certain animations from other characters to create their desired attacks for the characters.

Geno, Crash, Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Rayman.

that’s fighter pass 2. You heard it here first.
I'd have no complaints if these were the characters we're going to get.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Just got Paper Mario TTYD for Gamecube, costed $200

Random pick how about a partner character, or more specifically one of the partners
which partner would be cool

here is the list:
Goombella
Koops
Madame Flurrie
Yoshi Kid
Vivian
Admiral Bobbery
Ms. Mowz

Here is My pick
Goombella so i can spam her infinite headbonk move and break the game

Droodle

Smash Lord
At this point who is the bigger request?

Bandana Waddle Dee or Isaac?
Bandana Dee 100%, he may seem to be smaller due to his fanbase not really being SUPER vocal. But he's huge here and in Japan, and has been since the base game. Isaac fans usually hang out in "dedicated" Smash forums, and he has a lesser "casual" appeal. In Japan, I'm fairly certain that Bandana Dee and Rex are the most requested 1st party characters, and some of the most requested characters in general. Isaac doesn't do super well there, same with Waluigi.

Is Geno popular in Japanese circles?
Iirc, he still has a small dedicated following there; but it's nothing super big. He falls lower, the larger the poll ends up being. I think the biggest requests from there in terms of a Square Enix character (not counting Sora obviously) are 2B or Sephiroth. So yeah, Geno definitely is a mainly "Western" character.

View attachment 280247

so I guess then, another Partner/Indie Mini tomorrow and full actual direct on the 3rd?
C. Tsubasa is King Zell, who is a pretty reputable insider; but even he got thrown off by the partner showcase. I dunno if he's implying a direct on the 3rd though, for all we know the main direct will end up being sometime in Auguest.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Please understand that I am extremely tired and frustrated at a number of things at the time of this post and don't mean any disrespect to you or what your intentions were. I apologize if anything I said seemed more aggressive than it needed to be. I was not trying to assume you were gate keeping as a default response. Moreso trying to caution that I hoped that wasn't what you were doing. Now that you've explained that I feel a little more at ease. I still feel you may not understand what I mean when I say no one is off the table, and even then I'd argue that there have been PLENTY of people who have said over the years that people who are fans of certain characters should "Just give up, bro" - there's a reason Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno were known collectively as "The Four Never-Ever's" and other such rudeness over the years. However, Regrettably I'm falling asleep and can't debate your points as much as I want. There's a valid point Im trying to make that I'm content to stand by, I'm just not articulating it well.

I'm sorry again, and I hope I wasn't out of line.
Don't worry about it. Even if I thought it was pointless to support a character, I wouldn't try to make other people stop. People can think what they want.

But, for reference, no one ever called Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno the "four never-evers" until most of them actually got in, and then people claimed retroactively that this was considered some group of impossibilities. They were never even a quartet to begin with.

It's huge revisionism. Simply not getting in the first time people tried doesn't colour them impossible. If people believed these characters impossible, they wouldn't be popular. You need expectation to reach the apex of demand. I mean, if you went into the Geno thread and asked them if they thought he was impossible, what do you expect would happen? The only character that was at one point thought to be impossible was Banjo, and not-so-coincidentally, that's when his demand dried up. I guess at points some people thought Ridley would never make it, but obviously that was hotly contested.

And again, that group of four was never a thing. The only thing that ties them together was at one point they were all among the most popular. But then again so too have characters like Sonic, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Isaac, Waluigi, Diddy, Wario, Dedede, Inkling, etc. etc. etc. And most of those characters also had a wait before they were included, if they were included at all.

Ehhh TBH I'm not quite 100% myself, I just thought I remembered seeing someone in here say that once. Regardless, they were brought up during the last Direct leak saga, so my guess is they're legit.
It's Zell.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Don't worry about it. Even if I thought it was pointless to support a character, I wouldn't try to make other people stop. People can think what they want.

But, for reference, no one ever called Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno the "four never-evers" until most of them actually got in, and then people claimed retroactively that this was considered some group of impossibilities. They were never even a quartet to begin with.

It's huge revisionism. Simply not getting in the first time people tried doesn't colour them impossible. If people believed these characters impossible, they wouldn't be popular. You need expectation to reach the apex of demand. I mean, if you went into the Geno thread and asked them if they thought he was impossible, what do you expect would happen? The only character that was at one point thought to be impossible was Banjo, and not-so-coincidentally, that's when his demand dried up. I guess at points some people thought Ridley would never make it, but obviously that was hotly contested.

And again, that group of four was never a thing. The only thing that ties them together was at one point they were all among the most popular. But then again so too have characters like Sonic, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Isaac, Waluigi, Diddy, Wario, Dedede, Inkling, etc. etc. etc. And most of those characters also had a wait before they were included, if they were included at all.

It's Zell.
About the "Never-ever quartet" thing, my younger self thought of Banjo, Isaac, and Geno as the Smash fandom's holy trinity, since they were old, mostly unknown to the casual audience, and highly requested. This was before I became a more dedicated, "hardcore" speculator.
On that note, would you say Isaac had similar levels of support as Geno and Banjo before he got snowglobed? Because it seems like he had a pretty strong following before things started really going against him.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
View attachment 280247

As others have said Tsubasa is King Zell. He changed his nickname 1-2? years ago, I think.

As for the Direct, I'd be completely okay with another Partner showcase for tomorrow and a big direct for August, but honestly I'm not completely sold for an August Direct. I'd wait a bit more until Zell or Nate decide to say something about it.
I'd mention Kelios as well, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like he's gonna come back soon after people being stupid and harassing him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
About the "Never-ever quartet" thing, my younger self thought of Banjo, Isaac, and Geno as the Smash fandom's holy trinity, since they were old, mostly unknown to the casual audience, and highly requested. This was before I became a more dedicated, "hardcore" speculator.
So I'm guessing that was already after Ridley and K. Rool got in? There was indeed a short stint it became Geno, Isaac and Waluigi, before expecting mostly third-parties took over.

I mean there really is no one trinity, or quartet, or whatever. Those are just snapshots of who is popular at any given time. And sometimes not even that, since revisionism tends to colour things. People are now claiming it was Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo and Geno... but I guess people are forgetting that in the lead up to Ultimate, Inkling was very very popular. It's also omitting all the cut vets.

Then for Smash 4, Banjo and Geno wouldn't have made the cut. The "Elite Four" were Mega Man, Ridley, K. Rool, and, in the west, Little Mac. Mewtwo was "the champion". Then Palutena took over when Mega Man got in. Then for 4's DLC, iirc, it was Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac and Snake.

And Brawl would have a completely different list.

On that note, would you say Isaac had similar levels of support as Geno and Banjo before he got snowglobed? Because it seems like he had a pretty strong following before things started really going against him.
Yes, but yes with an asterisk. Isaac's support waxes and wanes, and in the lead up to his deconfirmation it was quite high, in part due to misread signals like the Rathalos pic and the Grinch leak, but before and after that it was much more low-key. Then it was high back during the ballot, higher than Geno, but that was also fleeting. Though it did result in the AT. When Isaac is thought to have a chance, his popularity really shoots up, and sometimes that has eclipsed Geno or Banjo (though for a long time Banjo wasn't even part of the conversation), but then just as quickly it can go back to simmering.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 280247

No more leaker ****. I've had enough of hearing what leakers said for the next year. The continual cycle of "x said this about a Direct soon!" and hype skyrocketing only to crash down has gotten old fast.

How about we just wait until we get news and be happy with what we get?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Part of the problem is that we've barely had any news for almost a year. Since the general Direct last September, we've had two mini-Directs (one of which was eight minutes long), two indie presentations, some DLC presentations, and Paper Mario: The Origami King being announced through Twitter. The only major first party games that were announced since last September (long before the Coronavirus started) were Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Paper Mario: The Origami King, New Pokemon Snap (which didn't have a release date/year attached), and maybe Clubhouse Games (I can't remember if that was announced earlier) - I might be missing something, but that's an extremely short list for nearly a year's worth of announcements.

On top of that, Nintendo's been weirdly silent during what's supposed to be the biggest announcement period of the year. We quite literally have no idea what Nintendo has planned for the system - the closest thing would be that Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, and New Pokemon Snap are coming out at some point in the future, possibly. (and, if we're including third party exclusives, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 3, and Bravely Default 2 are the main/only other titles, and they're in the same boat - the last two might be coming out this year, maybe)

I get that the coronavirus means that release dates are subject to change and the work schedule is disrupted, but I find it hard to believe that they had absolutely nothing planned for this year's E3 back when that was still happening and nothing concrete planned for the future, especially when Sony and Microsoft are releasing (or plan to release) games like the Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Halo Infinite with no problems on their end. (well, aside from the Last of Us 2 story leaks - that's a pretty big problem, though it didn't stop the game from being released or selling well)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Glitch theory really should've died when we realized that there were no glitches associated with Captain Falcon, seeing how there's undeniable proof that he was the base for Min Min, not Bayonetta.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That ownership breakdown is accurate. Rare wanted a larger budget for game development, and Nintendo didn't outright purchase the 51% stake, believing the asking price to be too expensive. Rare began seeking a new buyer, and Microsoft's bid won out. As part of the acquisition process, Nintendo sold its 49% stake back to Rare so Microsoft could acquire the complete company for a reported $375 million.
Fun Fact: What a lot of people don't know is that Activision was a finalist on acquiring Rare and it actually was very close to happening, But the deal fell apart last minute then Microsoft floored Rare with that mega sized offer, Swooped in and scooped them up.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, I second this.

Yelling at Nintendo ain't gonna make news come quicker. Things are tough right now, they'll announce things when they're good and ready. Plus, as fun as leaks can be, I'mma be honest and admit the Direct thirst the Nintendo community has right now is getting a little silly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Especially since we got every character ever in Smash back including cut veterans.

And highly requested characters who were thought impossible 10 years ago. :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

As well as some other requested ones. :ulthero::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:

And someone no one expected to happen. :ultjoker:

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Part of the problem is that we've barely had any news for almost a year. Since the general Direct last September, we've had two mini-Directs (one of which was eight minutes long), two indie presentations, some DLC presentations, and Paper Mario: The Origami King being announced through Twitter. The only major first party games that were announced since last September (long before the Coronavirus started) were Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Paper Mario: The Origami King, New Pokemon Snap (which didn't have a release date/year attached), and maybe Clubhouse Games (I can't remember if that was announced earlier) - I might be missing something, but that's an extremely short list for nearly a year's worth of announcements.

On top of that, Nintendo's been weirdly silent during what's supposed to be the biggest announcement period of the year. We quite literally have no idea what Nintendo has planned for the system - the closest thing would be that Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, and New Pokemon Snap are coming out at some point in the future, possibly. (and, if we're including third party exclusives, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 3, and Bravely Default 2 are the main/only other titles, and they're in the same boat - the last two might be coming out this year, maybe)

I get that the coronavirus means that release dates are subject to change and the work schedule is disrupted, but I find it hard to believe that they had absolutely nothing planned for this year's E3 back when that was still happening and nothing concrete planned for the future, especially when Sony and Microsoft are releasing (or plan to release) games like the Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, and Halo Infinite with no problems on their end, either when it comes to announcing content or physically releasing the game.
Yes, but also consider:

Patience

People have been so desperate to consume Nintendo advertising these past couple of months. I used to be one of those people. But the rate at which the fanbase has become like rabid wolves, hungry to consume any information and willing to turn on whoever dashes their hopes has deeply unsettled me. I get people are antsy, but Nintendo's dealing with its own stuff right now and comparing them to Sony and Xbox is an unfair comparison. The console wars are over, and we need to move on.

Instead of dancing to the tune of the leaker of the week, maybe start cracking away at that backlog, or revisit some old classic favorite games of your's. Get back into that hobby you fell out of for one reason or another, or get into a new one. Read a book or take an online class to broaden your knowledge. Start a new series, be it book, manga, anime, or TV. Spend time with your friends, be it online or in-person (if possible and safe).

Really, just do something, anything than thirst after that next bit of information. There's a lot to do to bring meaning to your life even in these dire times, and we don't need Nintendo's latest advertising barrage to have something to look forward to.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Honestly, I second this.

Yelling at Nintendo ain't gonna make news come quicker. Things are tough right now, they'll announce things when they're good and ready. Plus, as fun as leaks can be, I'mma be honest and admit the Direct thirst the Nintendo community has right now is getting a little silly.
A reminder that Nintendo has a meeting with shareholders and investors scheduled for early August (specifically the 6th, I believe). I doubt they're gonna be inclined to just wait months until we get news like we have, and I seriously doubt they'll be happy if said news is just another 8-minute Direct mini with only like three worthwhile announcements from third-parties.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Besides once we get more games announced and the next character reveal. Everything will just go back to the way it is like everytime.

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for lowering expectations, but saying "just be happy with what you get" is just as bad of a mindset. Nintendo doesn't owe us anything, yes, but they're not entitled to our money either. If you're going to give them that no matter what, what reason do they have to put in any effort? It's the same reason Pokemon sucks so much these days.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A reminder that Nintendo has a meeting with shareholders and investors scheduled for early August (specifically the 6th, I believe). I doubt they're gonna be inclined to just wait months until we get news like we have, and I seriously doubt they'll be happy if said news is just another 8-minute Direct mini with only like three worthwhile announcements from third-parties.
Investors this, investors that, screw the investors.

The investor's meeting is a perceived reason to force Nintendo's hand that may or may not mean anything. Like, you guys ever consider that they'll just, I don't know, announce stuff at the investor's meeting? It's a real possibility that's being overlooked because it's not what people want.

How about we just take things day by day and see how things play out?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH with what's been going on in the Nintendo community lately, I'm reminded of this article.

Plus, I'm gonna be honest, Nintendo has had releases this year...just not all huge, megaton AAA releases. So far, they have put out:

-Tokyo Mirage Sessions
-Three Houses DLC
-Byleth in Smash
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
-Animal Crossing New Horizons (the big one)
-Mario Maker 2 DLC
-Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive
-Club House Games
-Pokemon DLC
-Min Min in Smash
-Paper Mario The Origami King

That's honestly not that bad of an output. Are a lot of them smaller titles that only appeal to specific fandoms? Yes, but that doesn't make them bad or cause them to not exist.

EDIT: Forgot Club House Games. Y'all should play that one btw: Bowling in it is dope.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm all for lowering expectations, but saying "just be happy with what you get" is just as bad of a mindset. Nintendo doesn't owe us anything, yes, but they're not entitled to our money either. If you're going to give them that no matter what, what reason do they have to put in any effort? It's the same reason Pokemon sucks so much these days.
It's a free market my dude. If you're disappointed with Nintendo, just don't give them your money.

Buy other games, invest in other media. The Xbox One X is a great console to invest in right now given it's cheap, and Xbox Game Pass is $60 a year for what is actually Gaming Netflix. The Steam store, available on all computers, has so many games available, and is a veritable treasure trove of indie and industry games. For example, Persona 4 Golden just released on it, and for $20 you get 80+ hours of content.

Even on the Switch there are so many good third party titles to purchase for reduced prices. Atelier Ryza is at an all time low of $37 until the 5th of August, and Capcom is running another sale. Namco, Ubisoft, and Devolver all do regular sales as well, so there's a lot of quality games you can get at a reduced price on a console most of us have if you can't go out and buy another console.

You can emulate NES-DS games perfectly fine on a 2017 Macbook of all things, and I imagine most of you have stronger computers, so you can emulate even more games. There's a bunch of show streaming services depending on what you want, and there's so much you can find on the internet if you know where to look.

Books also still exist.

If you're disappointed with Nintendo, then take your money elsewhere. It's not like you'll hurt their feelings or anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom