• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's 10 minutes of... third party games... with "some updates on Nintendo titles"...

We're going to end this direct with less games than we bloody had. They're gonna Metroid Prime 4 something.

My expectations for this were low but holy ****

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
None of y'all are prepared for when they announce a real Direct at the end of this one.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Sooo... NMH3, BD2, Bayo 3, maybe MP4? Plus one or two I can't think of? That might be the whole direct right there.

edit: this kind of announcement really shouldn't justify character-reveal levels of activity, so to see 2-2.5x the number of active users rn is pretty funny to me lol

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
At least this means Min Min gets more time in the Smash spotlight so win win for me, I guess

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If we get NMH3 and Bayo 3 I'm beyond satisfied but uh...

Does not bode well for Nintendo themselves

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Remember when Jon from GameXplain predicted no more Smash DLC this year and everyone said he was insane?

I 'member.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So uh... they really be walking into their investors meeting with no first party titles for the rest of this year on the docket?

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Remember when Jon from GameXplain predicted no more Smash DLC this year and everyone said he was insane?

I 'member.
When you tell your own audience for how long your DLC support will be, you really can't blame them for not believing on such irresponsibility to handle it.

Shroob

Sup?

I 'member.
For the entire 'year' seems a touch absurd.

We know they have to patch the game in September for the Amiibo, and having a single character from the pack this year(Byleth makes 2, technically), and then 5 next year seems a bit overkill.

I really can't imagine a world where Nintendo didn't have a new Smash character for E3, had it panned out.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Just putting it out there that Nintendo like, might not even have a Holiday title at this point.

Dang, I feel like they got hit way harder by stuff than they're really letting on. I know Furukawa said none of this year's titles were delayed, but I'm have and extremely hard time believing that now. There's a decent chance their end year gameplan is AC updates and Pokemon DLC.
eh.png

Ooooooooooof.

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Important part of it that I think people are overlooking:
"a series focused on titles from our development & publishing partners"
So there'll be multiple of these mini-directs probably in a shorter period focusing on different publishing partners.

All I can say is GIVE ME MY DAMN BAYONETTA 3 GAMEPLAY ALREADY. PLATINUM IS A PARTNER.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It's real it seems...not sure what partner showcase means but it could be a focus on third party titles. Key points are 'Updates on a small group of previously-announced titles' we're probably not getting that much info.

No More Heroes 3, which we would've gotten info regardless
Bayonetta 3 after so long this could be the time for a proper reveal
Shin Megami Tensei V? Possibly? I'm not even sure this game even exists anymore
Bravely Default 2? Edit: Forgot this one...
Axiom Verge 2? Maybe? Trailer did say Fall 2020
Hollow Knight: Silksong?

I mean that's a small group of previously announced titles coming to the Switch that we know next to nothing about. And we could use some more info on as well.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I also highly doubt that Min Min is the only Smash DLC character we're getting this year.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Definitely a good thing I got a big backlog of Switch games.

because we ain't getting anymore for the rest of the year

Sad_Pog_Champ.png

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
This is honestly starting to remind me of the whole Game Awards debacle from last year, and because of that, I just want to say let's take this announcement lightly, for all we care, there may be something great on them.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Something interesting to note about the mini partner showcase is that it mentions it being the first of a series.

Wonder how many of these we’re going to be getting. And how close together they’ll be.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's real it seems...not sure what partner showcase means but it could be a focus on third party titles. Key points are 'Updates on a small group of previously-announced titles' we're probably not getting that much info.

I mean that's a small group of previously announced titles coming to the Switch that we know next to nothing about. And we could use some more info on as well.
There's also Doom Eternal and Bravely Default 2, the former of which we've been waiting on a new release date after it got delayed. After those two though, the only thing I can think of are rumored games like the MCC which are probably not showing up here.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Best case scenario is they shadow drop Mario remasters hopefully sometime in August and then do a Sakurai Presents early September.

But yeah nah Nintendo really out here dropping AC and OK and then being like:

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So yeah:

Nintendo: Nintendo Direct Mini!

Everyone: Yeah!

Nintendo: Only 3rd party titles, and it's only around 10 minutes long!

Everyone:

Last edited:

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
I know it ain't gonna happen, but I can dream of Travis getting announced in this 3rd party focused mini.... Well I'll pray for some news for NMH3 tomorrow......and SMTV
tumblr_psy8caLVO41s05hv8o3_500.gif

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Revised wishlist: Direct 2020 Edition

•Bravely Default 2, hopefully not looking like an Unreal tech demo by now
•KH music game, let's go
•No More Heroes III, gameplay debut (this is honestly likely, and probably the easy winner of the Direct)
•Bayo 3? SMT5? I've been hurt for too long to actually believe this
•Maybe we can get those canceled Sonic announcements, that'd be neat
•TWEWY 2 but probably not because I can't see them letting Bravely and this eat into each other's marketing
•uh
•hmm
•what other Switch games are there? Bakugan?
•Can Smash DLC count as an update for an existing game? That's the only way out I can see for this

The Smash fanbase rn:

fr tho what the hell was up with those insiders? It's like they intentionally tried to mess with the Geno fanbase or something.

Pretty messed up if you ask me. I'll definitely think twice before taking them at their word lol.
Devil's advocate here, maybe we are getting something related to SMRPG, that'd be a Square Enix announcement, technically.

Orrrr maybe using Geno was less a hint of good things to the Geno fanbase and more a hint to the larger Smash fandom that we'd all be feeling like Geno fans soon. As in, astounded, outraged, and disappointed.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Anyway, the best way I can sum up my reaction to this news and how all of today has been leading up to this is:

723032437629779998.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just putting it out there that Nintendo like, might not even have a Holiday title at this point.

Dang, I feel like they got hit way harder by stuff than they're really letting on. I know Furukawa said none of this year's titles were delayed, but I'm have and extremely hard time believing that now. There's a decent chance their end year gameplan is AC updates and Pokemon DLC.
View attachment 279369
Ooooooooooof.
Meanwhile Sony, Microsoft and third party companies be like "Hey we've got a ****ton of announcements for you, enjoy". Hopefully we finally see Travis again

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Bravely Default 2? Edit: Forgot this one...

Doom Eternal’s Switch version. Probably going to get a release date for it and it might have some Nintendo costumes or something like that.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Complete spitballing here: maybe the reason for the focus on 3rd party games is external rather than internal. Obv Nintendo has full control of revealing details about its own upcoming titles, so if they've determined it isn't feasible to showcase their games during Covid then they're within their rights to do so. But it could be that they agreed to showcase these 3rd party games during E3 before Covid, so they've got a stricter deadline or some stipulation in the showcasing agreement warranting an early showing. Again, idk, just throwin' ideas out, and really this doesn't matter too much. Once we see what they have to show, if they show off only 3rd parties then we can assume future 1st party games will be drip fed Oragami King style, otherwise who can say how they'll reveal games.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
"Lower your expectations everyone"

Pfft, I expected nothing and somehow this is more disappointing. Nothing would give me hope they were still planning something. Doing a ten-minute partner direct just tells you they actually had nothing of their own to pull together on time and just quickly threw something out to still meet agreements made to feature partner companies in their direct.

This is a message loud and clear that other devs have their stuff sorted but for whatever reason Nintendo remains the sole major gaming company that could not get its **** together in 2020. E3 getting cancelled already gave them an extra month and some to turn in their homework and they're still incapable of doing so.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I know it's disappointing that it's such a small direct about some 3rd party games, but I am glad that there's at least something. I'm curious to check it out.. though 10 minutes is really short. :O

Does that mean no Ryza? Darn XD

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is honestly starting to remind me of the whole Game Awards debacle from last year, and because of that, I just want to say let's take this announcement lightly, for all we care, there may be something great on them.
It's so reminiscent of TGA that we're probably getting those exact two games lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom