• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I just realized that, between the Chocobo, Geno, Lloyd, Gil, and Monster Hunter costumes, we have yet to see any of the JRPG Mii Costumes return. This suggests we could be seeing another JRPG character who brings these costumes back, similar to how Terry and Min Min were fighting game characters that brought the Virtua Fighter and Tekken costumes back.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Daisy's dress glitch? The conclusion is clearly obvious!

View attachment 277218

I put too much effort into this bad quality image.

(Before anyone misunderstands, this was meant to be a joke, so please don't think I'm being serious with this.)
You know it's bad when you have to put in small text it's a joke.

I'd be down for Arle though. I don't know how likely a second Sega rep is though.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I just realized that, between the Chocobo, Geno, Lloyd, Gil, and Monster Hunter costumes, we have yet to see any of the JRPG Mii Costumes return. This suggests we could be seeing another JRPG character who brings these costumes back, similar to how Terry and Min Min were fighting game characters that brought the Virtua Fighter and Tekken costumes back.
Here's how Isaac can still win.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's how Isaac can still win.
Can't wait for those "A soul for a soul" memes if Isaac is revealed with the Geno costume.

And how could I forget "Geno support was revived post-ballot, of course they were gonna go for the one that more people voted for"?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Tbf, I think it’s pretty obvious that we’d be getting another JRPG character. It’s a super popular game genre with tons of options from Nintendo & third parties. Plus, I have a feeling it’s Sakurai’s favorite genre.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know it's bad when you have to put in small text it's a joke.

I'd be down for Arle though. I don't know how likely a second Sega rep is though.
You mean second DLC rep? Because by my count they're at three currently: Sonic, Bayonetta and Joker.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Daisy's dress glitch? The conclusion is clearly obvious!

View attachment 277218

I put too much effort into this bad quality image.

(Before anyone misunderstands, this was meant to be a joke, so please don't think I'm being serious with this.)
I see your Arle theory and raise you THIS

estelle-for-sure.png

(also a joke -- as much as I want Estelle in, I don't really think the daisy stuff means anything)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So what JRPG character do you think is most likely to join Smash or which JRPG character do you want to see?

Want: Crono - I never grew up with Chrono Trigger since I'm from the UK but I loved every second of that game when I finally got the chance to play it. Lots to do in the post game and then given the chance to ride around the epoch. I love games that involve time travel because you can give the world so much variety. The only problem is that I find it pretty difficult so it's hard for me to get back into the game.

Expect: Sora - I think he'd be a big priority if they were given the choice of another Square Enix character since he is highly requested in Japan. If he does get chosen, it would be well deserved considering how popular the game is. I only hope that the Story so far gets released on the Switch so I'd finally have a chance to play the series and see why it's such a big deal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what JRPG character do you think is most likely to join Smash or which JRPG character do you want to see?

Want: Crono - I never grew up with Chrono Trigger since I'm from the UK but I loved every second of that game when I finally got the chance to play it. Lots to do in the post game and then given the chance to ride around the epoch. I love games that involve time travel because you can give the world so much variety. The only problem is that I find it pretty difficult so it's hard for me to get back into the game.

Expect: Sora - I think he'd be a big priority if they were given the choice of another Square Enix character since he is highly requested in Japan. If he does get chosen, it would be well deserved considering how popular the game is. I only hope that the Story so far gets released on the Switch so I'd finally have a chance to play the series and see why it's such a big deal.
Want: Tessa from Octopath Traveller.
Expect: Scorbunny from Pokemon Tea and Crumpets versions.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So we got

2B
Arle Nadja
Reimu
Shantae; zferolie zferolie thinks they could be using her for a character with no dress at all could be causing this issue as well.

And now Estelle. Any other takers?

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Want: Honestly nothing. Pretty much every JRPG franchise I've played are already in Smash (Dragon quest, Final fantasy, Pokémon, Persona and Earthbound). If I really had to choose one I'd just add another FF rep (either Tidus or Terra).

Expect: Something from Tales of.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Want: Sora and/or Sakura Shinguji
Expect: IDK, I'm not Sakurai

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So we got

2B
Arle Nadja
Reimu
Shantae; zferolie zferolie thinks they could be using her for a character with no dress at all could be causing this issue as well.

And now Estelle. Any other takers?
There's also the possibility of nothing. That being said, we can't put that up there since it's nonexistent, so let's just use the random character icon as a stand-in:4pacman:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Just skimming Nintendo's E3 2019 announcements again, here's some of the notable third party highlights.
  • Capcom: Resident Evil 5 and 6 (with Resident Evil 0, Remake, and 4 also being highlighted)
  • CD Projekt Red: The Witcher 3
  • Sega: Panzer Dragoon
  • Square-Enix: Dragon Quest XIS (a big highlight of their show)
  • Suda 51: No More Heroes 3 (noteworthy because the reveal was here)
  • Disney: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
There were other games announced from other companies (like Ni no Kuni for Namco and Spyro for Activison), but those were the games that got their own segment.
So you're telling me.... There's a chance?
Challenger_Pack_Witcher_Geralt_Wish_50.png

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Want: Sora. A lot. I doubt it though because Disney.

SoraPain(3).jpg

Expect: Either a character from the Bravely series or Adol Christin. I'll argue for Bravely soon, but Adol I just feel is likely from a historic/iconic standpoint, as well as the fact it'd bring Falcom into the Smash fold. Maybe I'll argue for him more later.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Can't wait for those "A soul for a soul" memes if Isaac is revealed with the Geno costume.

And how could I forget "Geno support was revived post-ballot, of course they were gonna go for the one that more people voted for"?
"Isaac is at least a main character and from a fighterless series"
"Geno can just make do with a generic arm cannon moveset, the AT and Mii costume didn't show enough of Isaac"
"Two less obstacles for Waluigi!"
"At least I could've arbitrarily been hyped for a Square-Enix character"
...I'm sorry, I'll stop.

Want: Isaac, a Pokemon newcomer that's more akin to pre-4 ones including not being from gen 8
Expect: IDK just not Sora

Last edited:

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
I would also say that it is equally possible that one of those costumes get upgraded and bring back the rest of JRPG costumes. I personally find it hard to believe that Nintendo would exclude the Tales of Series, Geno or Monster Hunter series from becoming a playable character because they had a costume in the PREVIOUS game. Especially when you consider that both Monster Hunter and the Tales of series were in the top 20 best selling Japanese franchises that got posted here a while ago(although admittedly, that didn't save Tekken). Its the same reason I personally think Rex still has a shot, despite having a costume in this very game. Not denying the possibility of the costume randomly returning because that has always been a possibility.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think it's just a weird coincidence, mainly because I doubt they'd dump three or more of these in one of the five remaining bundles. Seems more likely that they'd spread them out like they've done with every bundle so far (save for Hero).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly, what I take from the Daisy glitch is that she needs to bring her Mario Tennis 64 sports dress back

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So you're telling me.... There's a chance?
View attachment 277275
The Witcher is based on a series of novels, right? Does anyone know if they're straight adaptations, or if it's different enough to be considered its own thing? (I know that Geralt was in Soul Calibur, but so were Yoda, Darth Vader, and Spawn)

I'm not sure how this sort of thing works in Smash from a legal standpoint - from what I've read, Megami Tensei started out as a novel series (later spinning off into the Persona series), but I have no idea if there's any connection between them, or if Persona's so far removed that it's a separate entity at this point. There's also Dracula from Castlevania, but Dracula's fallen into the public domain, so anyone can use him.

The Megami Tensei wiki says that those novels "inspired" the creation of the Megami Tensei games, which seems like it muddies the issue, but I'm not familiar enough with it outside of Persona 4 and 5 to know for sure.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Want: Sora. I'm speaking mostly out of a gameplay standpoint. Hero pretty much covered the "Standard" JRPG tropes - so much so that his addition caused an uproar (what with crits and Menu).* Anyhow, I'd personally prefer a character that goes the opposite direction to Hero. Combos for days, transformation that not only add combo cancels but also more combos, oh did I mention comboing with magic? Combos are a massive reason why I support Dante, by the by.

EDIT: Crud, missed that KOS-MOS comes from a JRPG series, tieing her with Sora for favorite JRPG character not yet in because of her massive potential. If not a bit ahead of him. 2B comes as a close third due to her SC VI incarnation being a really fun take on the character and Nier having a lot of stuff one could pull from.

Expect: Either a more direct S-E representative, a Gen 8 representative... or hell, even a "minor" JRPG character like a Falcom character. That's the problem I have with "expect" - the JRPG field is crowded enough still that one could concievably pull from different areas.

*I don't think South Australia has rescinded their Hero ban yet, which feels... strange with hindsight. I mean, Hero's Up-Smash is a contender for "worst Up-Smash in the game" - even with the crit chance - because the attack does not connect on the sides at all.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Witcher is based on a series of novels, right? Does anyone know if they're straight adaptations, or if it's different enough to be considered its own thing? (I know that Geralt was in Soul Calibur, but so were Yoda, Darth Vader, and Spawn)

I'm not sure how this sort of thing works in Smash from a legal standpoint - from what I've read, Megami Tensei started out as a novel series (becoming Shin Megami Tensei, and later spinning off into the Persona series), but I have no idea if there's any connection between them, or if Persona's so far removed that it's a separate entity at this point. There's also Dracula from Castlevania, but Dracula's fallen into the public domain, so anyone can use him.
I'm not sure exactly how much they've diverged, but they've definitely overtaken the books in popularity (Outside of Eastern Europe, apparently). When you think of Geralt, you don't think "Oh, it's the guy from that book," you think, "Oh hey, it's the guy from that Wild Hunt game." It's more of a stretch than Dracula and Persona, but I think he leans more towards the video game side of things.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I'm not sure how this sort of thing works in Smash from a legal standpoint - from what I've read, Megami Tensei started out as a novel series (becoming Shin Megami Tensei, and later spinning off into the Persona series), but I have no idea if there's any connection between them, or if Persona's so far removed that it's a separate entity at this point. There's also Dracula from Castlevania, but Dracula's fallen into the public domain, so anyone can use him.
By Atlus, Persona is treated as its own separate series, part of the Megaten universe, so it seems to be considered separate enough either for Sakurai, or Nintendo, to not care. Basically unlike with the Star Wars games that introduce Starkiller, this is treated more separately. And do note that that specific game series was intended as a game-only universe till Disney made it part of the official Expanded Universe canon. Whether or not Sakurai/Nintendo would treat it as "game series" is another story, but it's not as separated like Persona is from the novel origins.

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

The games are pretty much a non-canonical sequel trilogy that use the same worlds and characters as the books. So they're not straight up exact adaptations, but they are adaptations in the way that CDPR uses the same beloved characters and expand the world for their own stories. They continue the story where the books left off. As how dumb that may sound, they're kind of like legal fanfictions.

Thanks to TW3, the games have been way more popular than the books (Especially here in Europe). It's even regarded as one of the most influential open world games of all time, so honestly, I could see it getting a pass when it comes to Smash. When it comes to the legal side of things however, due to licensing reasons the original author will have to get a share of the money of the pack along with CDPR. Don't know if that is too much of a hurdle for Nintendo, but seeing how they were advertising TW3 port on Switch heavily I can see them already being well acquainted. Only time will tell honestly.

Last edited:

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice

Want: Lloyd Irving- Honestly, I have a lot of nostalgia for the game he came from, and would love to see one of my favorite games be represented in smash. Being able to play as Lloyd, who probably has my favorite play style in the entire Tales of series (I loved the ferrel aggressive twin blade style so much) would be a dream come true for me. Also, the music that comes from his game are bangers, and I would want to see the remixes they could do.

Expect: I think the Tales of series is in a good spot, as well as Rex, but personally I feel the Ys series in my gut. Falcom is definitely a dark horse in the JRPG race, but honestly I could see Nintendo choosing them much like they chose Terry. Adol, the protagonist of all the Ys series, has a long history in gaming, they just announced that the 9th game is coming to switch soon, and much like SNK, they have been supporting the switch for while now. In my opinion, definitely a candidate to keep an eye out for.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
My guess for another JRPG character would be between Rex,Isaac, or a Bravely Default character. We could get more than one though.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Elma
And Elma.

I can DREAM, Harold!

Uhh, can't say that I know what you're referencing there.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Uhh, can't say that I know what you're referencing there.
It's one of the many Thanos memes. One that's apparently not as well known as "Perfectly balanced"

Which is NOT perfectly balanced as all things should be.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

Most likely to join:
* Noctis from Final Fantasy 15 because there is Akuma, Gesse Howard, and now Heihachi in Smash.
* Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss because of the whole 7 motif (there is a whole big deal about #7 for Fighter 7), and recently "The Arrow was Shot" theme from Abyss is going to be added in the upcoming Taiko no Tatsujin's DLC.
* Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia because of the recent announcement for the Switch port of Megadimension Neptunia VII.
* KOS-MOS from Xenosaga because of the unlikely event that Monolith Soft directer asks for her inclusion instead of a Xenoblade character(s).
Edit: Also, Itsuki Aoi & Chrom or Tsubasa Oribe & Caeda from Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE.

What I want to see: Atelier, Musashiden, Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, Etrain Odyssey, Grandia, Story of Seasons, Inazuma Eleven, The Legend of Heroes, Lufia, Neptunia, Ni no Kuni, Phantasy Star, Power Pro-Kun, Radiant Historia, Resonance of Fate, Rune Factory, SaGa, Shining, Shiren the Wanderer, Skies of Arcadia, Souls, Star Ocean, Suikoden, Summon Night, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, Yakuza, or Ys.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Want: Elma
Expect: Neku, DON'T STOP ME NOW

ideally i'd like both

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Most likely to join:
* Noctis from Final Fantasy 15 because there is Akuma, Gesse Howard, and now Heihachi in Smash.
* Luke fon Fabre from Tales of the Abyss because of the whole 7 motif (there is a whole big deal about #7 for Fighter 7), and recently "The Arrow was Shot" theme from Abyss is going to be added in the upcoming Taiko no Tatsujin's DLC.
* Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia because of the recent announcement for the Switch port of Megadimension Neptunia VII.
* KOS-MOS from Xenosaga because of the unlikely event that Monolith Soft directer asks for her inclusion instead of a Xenoblade character(s).
Edit: Also, Itsuki Aoi & Chrom or Tsubasa Oribe & Caeda from Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE.

What I want to see: Atelier, Musashiden, Bravely Default, Chrono Trigger, Etrain Odyssey, Grandia, Story of Seasons, Inazuma Eleven, The Legend of Heroes, Lufia, Neptunia, Ni no Kuni, Phantasy Star, Power Pro-Kun, Radiant Historia, Resonance of Fate, Rune Factory, SaGa, Shining, Shiren the Wanderer, Skies of Arcadia, Souls, Star Ocean, Suikoden, Summon Night, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, Yakuza, or Ys.
I know a character with extendable arms just joined but even she doesn't need to stretch this far.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
And the sixth challenger from the second fighters pass is....

Daisy in her sports outfit!
I just had flashbacks to a user on the Smash forums on GameFAQs who was obsessed with that. (not sure if "traumatic flashbacks" is the right phrase, but probably not)

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Now that we're talking about jrpg, what do people think of the possibility of Ni no kuni in Smash? We still have no content from level-5 despite being very close to Nintendo and apparently those games sold pretty well (although I'm not sure how the switch port do). I still think Tales of is most likely but I rarely see Ni no kuni brought up here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Most likely to join:

I see you are a person of culture too

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
So after the new way they revealed the arms character, are there any other unique ways you'd like to see characters get revealed?

I think it would be really cool to get teaser video packages for weeks leading up to a big reveal.

Also would love another "Surprise!, its Smash!" Reveal as 2 of my favorites right now were the trailers for Joker and Inkling

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Now that we're talking about jrpg, what do people think of the possibility of Ni no kuni in Smash? We still have no content from level-5 despite being very close to Nintendo and apparently those games sold pretty well (although I'm not sure how the switch port do). I still think Tales of is most likely but I rarely see Ni no kuni brought up here.
I'd say it has a decent chance to get in... as either a Mii costume or spirit event.

If we're talking Fighter wise, Professor Layton seems like a prime candidate for a Level 5 rep and the Ni no kuni series is published by Namco. I don't know what it is about Nintendo or Namco but it seems like neither of them really care to add another Namco rep besides Pac-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom