• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, when exactly is this rumored Direct supposed to land? The 7th I've heard?

I guess it's not impossible, I mean, Nintendo's gotta eventually show off what they had for E3 since, after Paper Mario.... soo forgettable I forgot the subtitle already, they have.... a whole lot of nothing lined up for the rest of the year tbh.
According to that one Twitter user with the nsfw-sounding username and the accurate track record thus far, we're gonna get something on both the 6th of July and the 14th of July. A Direct would have to either take place or be announced on either then, I suppose.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Did Falcon have any glitch recently? If not I guess that the theory that fighters are based around those that have glitch his dead.
No.

The whole fighter glitch thing should've been debunked way back when it was revealed that the crashes were a result of faulty SD cards and when Hero and Banjo were not based on any of the glitching characters, but it's pretty definitive now.

D

Deleted member

No.

The whole fighter glitch thing should've been debunked way back when it was revealed that the crashes were a result of faulty SD cards and when Hero and Banjo were not based on any of the glitching characters, but it's pretty definitive now.
catch me when wario side b doesn't work, confirming the mario kart (mario kart) for smash bros. ill pop off

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
I think that they have to tell us what they have planned for the holidays at some point, so telling us this month seems reasonable.

Didn't they say recently that their holiday schedule is not affected yet but could be if the virus situation doesn't improve/gets worse? Maybe they're still worried about telling us anything because of that, but also worried about no one knowing any future releases after Origami King.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming we do get an direct this month. What are the chances of FP7 being revealed or at least teased?

If so I wouldn't expect him/her to not be released until Summer to coincide with Amiibo theory.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Assuming we do get an direct this month. What are the chances of FP7 being revealed or at least teased?

If so I wouldn't expect him/her to not be released until Summer to coincide with Amiibo theory.
I'd be really surprised if we don't get a reveal. Sakurai himself confirmed that development wasn't slowed down much and here we are, through a quarter of the deadline with only 1 single character. We don't know how much the dev team's been downsized, but for the first pass, 3 characters were worked on at the same time

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Reveal this month, release in August or September (or October, I guess). Sounds reasonable to me.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I could actually see us getting a double reveal in the July Direct. Everything is relatively on track in terms of development, this is presumably Nintendo's replacement for E3, and :ultminmin was somewhat implied to be delayed from her original release date seeing how her dev time had to exteeeeeeend.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH the biggest reason I doubt a Direct is because we've had multiple sources tell us not to expect one pretty much any time in the summer. They're the people who leaked Paper Mario, no E3 replacement, and the yet to be announced Mario remasters.

I'm not holding my breath, personally. I really do think Nintendo is gonna push Paper Mario this month and then that's it; they might shadow drop a Twitter announcement again, but we'll have to wait and see.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I severely doubt that we don't get any kind of announcement before Paper Mario comes out. The announcement of that game came just before Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition released, which at the time was the only noteworthy Nintendo release coming up. Therefore I can see them doing something similar and having something new before Paper Mario comes out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm hoping that we get a Direct announcement some time this month (given that Nintendo's line-up for the second half of the year, aside from a Paper Mario game that was announced out of nowhere and is coming out in two weeks, is a gigantic question mark), but given everything that's been going on, I doubt that we will. (we haven't had a proper Direct (not a mini-Direct, not game-specific) for roughly ten months now)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm hoping that we get a Direct announcement some time this month (given that Nintendo's line-up for the second half of the year is a gigantic question mark), but given everything that's been going on, I doubt that we will. (we haven't had a proper Direct (not a mini-Direct, not game-specific) for roughly ten months now)
Watch it be announced as a Mini Direct again. Naw, just kidding!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think the next character will 100% be revealed in the next Direct. But they’ll be the last reveal for the year. The other 4 will all be next year.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Whether we're eventually graced with a direct or a mini direct, I just want some news on Nintendo games, famalam.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think the next character will 100% be revealed in the next Direct. But they’ll be the last reveal for the year. The other 4 will all be next year.
That’d be such a big kick to the nuts. Unless there‘s a delay (which is fine if they wanna take their time), there’s no reason they couldn’t at least reveal one more character this year (even if they weren’t released in 2020).

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
That’d be such a big kick to the nuts. Unless there‘s a delay (which is fine if they wanna take their time), there’s no reason they couldn’t at least reveal one more character this year (even if they weren’t released in 2020).
I agree, but with the rate Nintendo’s been revealing stuff this year I’m preparing for the worst.

D

Deleted member

Yeah I can't see us going past Origami King without a release date for any kind of Nintendo thing, so whatever Nintendo had planned for E3 is likely coming on or after the 6th/14th.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm hoping that we get a Direct announcement some time this month (given that Nintendo's line-up for the second half of the year, aside from a Paper Mario game that was announced out of nowhere and is coming out in two weeks, is a gigantic question mark), but given everything that's been going on, I doubt that we will. (we haven't had a proper Direct (not a mini-Direct, not game-specific) for roughly ten months now)
Well according to Furukawa the pandemic didn't report any game that was coming this year. So there's 3 possibility:
1. For some reason he just lied, games are reported and we will have pretty much nothing this year.
2. Nothing was report because barely anything was planned to release this year in the first place.
3. There's at least some games not announced for holiday that needs to be announced.

If 3 is right well we would need a direct soon because after summer seems late to announce holiday title.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Your ability sounds way more awesome than my ability to always seemingly miss the mark on what characters we get.

I wanted Dixie Kong more than K. Rool, and :ultkrool:is who we get.

I didn't really want another pokemon rep, but if we had to get another gen VII rep, I wanted Decidueye, and :ultincineroar: is who we got

As far as Microsoft characters go, I wanted Master Chief more than Banjo. We get :ultbanjokazooie:.

I was someone that actually wanted FE Three Houses to get a rep, wanting Edelgard or atleast one of the other House leaders. We get :ultbyleth:.

When it was announced we were getting an ARMS rep, I was thinking we'd get Springman and then we get :ultminmin

I just can't win...
For Three Houses and ARMS and maybe Pokemon, you are right. I am not sure about Dixie Kong, but you should hold your breath on Microsoft character. It's possible that MS wanted to test water with Banjo. Chief would be a character that both parties want to keep in tight secret. So, cheer up. Fear not my brother. We can still hope.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
And was Banjo that much more of a secret in the lead-up to E3? :4pacman:

Dude.
I think it constantly gets lost in reflection, but most of the Smash community and insiders were heavily aiding with Steve before the Reset Era leak a few days before E3, and even after the leak there was a lot of skeptics

SKX31

Smash Master
Did Falcon have any glitch recently? If not I guess that the theory that fighters are based around those that have glitch his dead.
No. And no, I don't count his turnaround dash animation (which is awful for some unholy reason and might've been a last minute change from the demo):

There was a problem fetching the tweet

They didn't fix the turnaround in 8.0 it seems (albeit they gave Falcon a slew of other buffs, so the issue's mitigated quite a lot).

What about Metroid Prime 4? Don’t do the fans dirty, Nintendo.
Metroid Prime 4: Samus Returns 2: One Mission.

Now with Funky Mode.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's been 1 consistent thing about every DLC character within the Fighter Passes, and it's the use of a cinematic Final Smash. Whether if it's to make the DLC Fighters have more pizazz to them or it's less difficult to develop than most other Final Smashes, it's pretty much the only pattern within DLC speculation so far that has remained unchanged (unless you want to include Piranha Plant).

People be like Well All Patterns Are Meant To Be Broken, but that isn't going to be the point right now. What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What about Metroid Prime 4? Don’t do the fans dirty, Nintendo.
Prime 4's a bit unrealistic this year even without the pandemic. For a hypothetical Metroid 5, the timing lines up a lot better since MSR's release, not too mention the tease in the Paper Mario trailer (which could mean nothing) if Mercury Steam's been working on a new Metroid game we could very likely see it this year.

Don't get me wrong I want Prime 4 sooner rather than later but seeing as Retro's still hiring new developers for the game we may not see it until next year at the esrliest.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Well according to Furukawa the pandemic didn't report any game that was coming this year. So there's 3 possibility:
1. For some reason he just lied, games are reported and we will have pretty much nothing this year.
2. Nothing was report because barely anything was planned to release this year in the first place.
3. There's at least some games not announced for holiday that needs to be announced.

If 3 is right well we would need a direct soon because after summer seems late to announce holiday title.

My takeaway from his wording was that all development is currently back on track and will not be delayed further - given what the entire entertainment industry has gone through, there's no way that something didn't slip in the schedule. Aside from common sense, the various insider rumblings would suggest that at least one game would have been announced in March if not for the uncertainty swirling at the time. This is what Nintendo do with their public statements: they never outright lie, they just go out of their way to imply the interpretation that paints them in the best light. Especially when talking to investors.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
There's been 1 consistent thing about every DLC character within the Fighter Passes, and it's the use of a cinematic Final Smash. Whether if it's to make the DLC Fighters have more pizazz to them or it's less difficult to develop than most other Final Smashes, it's pretty much the only pattern within DLC speculation so far that has remained unchanged (unless you want to include Piranha Plant).

People be like Well All Patterns Are Meant To Be Broken, but that isn't going to be the point right now. What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?
This, but with different voice lines, and at the end it would cut to the shocked opponent in the witness’s chair.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This glitch theory has never been a thing anyway. The Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfigther glitches that originally started the idea were based upon faulty SD cards, not something in game. Min Min being based on Captain Falcon should just further seal this as definitely not a thing.

Ultimate's a big game with a lot of interacting and moving parts, so glitches are 100% going to happen from time to time that mean absolutely nothing and I hope people will stop citing them as evidence of some supposed character coming down the line. Like we can't prove definitively that it means nothing, but also there's absolutely no basis in it besides just being a hypothetical that can't inherently go anywhere.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?
For my most wanted who is of course Sgt. Cortez, it would look something like this.

Final Smash.gif

First, Cortez would summon a Time portal with the nine time crystals, sucking in any opponent nearby. They are sent through time and space where they are immediately ambushed by the TimeSplitters on a Space Station set to self-destruct. A Cortez from the Past, piloting a ship shoots out two missiles that head directly into the Space Station's docking bay, kickstarting the base's destruction. The blast is so tremendous that the fighters are then sent flying back out from the portal they entered.

SKX31

Smash Master
My takeaway from his wording was that all development is currently back on track and will not be delayed further - given what the entire entertainment industry has gone through, there's no way that something didn't slip in the schedule. Aside from common sense, the various insider rumblings would suggest that at least one game would have been announced in March if not for the uncertainty swirling at the time. This is what Nintendo do with their public statements: they never outright lie, they just go out of their way to imply the interpretation that paints them in the best light. Especially when talking to investors.
Considering Furukawa's about as old as Sakurai; and worked previously with TPC and NoE before becoming President (and Ultimate's Executive Producer) it would make sense that he'd continue Nintendo's established procedures with public statements.

Would really like it if a Dynasty Warriors character came with something like this for a cinematic FS:

But Dynasty Warriors has a lot of characters (and potential FSes) to pull from, so I'm not picky.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
so here's my take on the glitch thing:

Yes, Min Min was based on CF, but I've noticed one of her kicks kinda looks like one of Bayonetta's kicks. If Banjo indeed used Ridley as his base, there's still no denying he borrowed something from Duck Hunt.

basically i think the glitches don't foreshadow who an upcoming character is based on but rather what they're borrowing, a minor thing

and this is how the Ness glitch still spells Neku while Neku uses Cloud as a base...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What sort of cinematic Final Smash would you want/expect to see from a character if they were to be included to Smash?
Dixie Kong activates her Kong POW move from Tropical Freeze, damaging all enemies nearby, with any KO'd characters leaving Yellow Hearts that can recover small amounts of damage.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
basically i think the glitches don't foreshadow who an upcoming character is based on but rather what they're borrowing, a minor thing
If they're copying assets from other fighters. wouldn't they not edit the code the original fighter has, and just edit the new fighter's?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
With all the character showcases Sakurai does as well as all these "character X totally uses character Y as a base" discussions and whatnot.

I wouldn't mind Sakurai one day showing a behind the scenes of the development of one of the characters, most likely would never happen but hey, one can always dream...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
With all the character showcases Sakurai does as well as all these "character X totally uses character Y as a base" discussions and whatnot.

I wouldn't mind Sakurai one day showing a behind the scenes of the development of one of the characters, most likely would never happen but hey, one can always dream...
That would certainly give fan mods a boost (especially those that create actual full blown movesets and new animations for requested characters not yet in Smash), getting an actual blueprint of the original wizard at work.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Bandana Dee using the Megaton Punch or the giant ball of Waddle Dees.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Showing Behind the Scenes Development stuff is something I wish more devs would do in general.
A lot of it is probably a bunch of technical things we wouldn't understand for the most part, but it's still cool to get that insight. Helps modders and aspiring devs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom