• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I feel like everyone's too hung up on the big hype third-parties.
Honestly it feels far more like certain people here are getting too hung up on people wanting some of those big hype third parties. There's nothing wrong with wanting those characters at all, but it's tough to actually properly discuss those characters when thoughts like "filthy Nintendo character" are being invented and wrongfully attributed to anyone who wants a big hype third party, or even any third party at all.

****'s ****ing toxic and it's what I've been getting at in saying that some people just want to cause problems for the sake of it.

I'm not gonna lie, based on that best selling list, a DLC season with Jill Valentine, Monster Hunter, Heihachi, Sora and Dante sounds like a pretty damn solid(if Capcom-heavy) selection.
It speaks to how strong of a library Capcom really have.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly it feels far more like certain people here are getting too hung up on people wanting some of those big hype third parties. There's nothing wrong with wanting those characters at all, but it's tough to actually properly discuss those characters
Those kinds of characters have dominated speculation though? Don't really see any basis for claiming that they've been tough to discuss when we've spent over a year talking about the likes of Crash, Doomguy, Dante, Steve, et al on a loop.

If anything, it's the smaller, Terry-like characters that have it the toughest, without either the "big hype third parties" crew or the "more Nintendo characters" crew to back them.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't remember the last time there was an actual discussion about a larger 3rd party that wasn't met with, "Ugh, talking about _______ again?" or "People overly expect big 3rd parties when it's just going to be smaller ones".

Sucks quite a bit of interesting discussion out of the thread imho.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Those kinds of characters have dominated speculation though? Don't really see any basis for claiming that they've been tough to discuss when we've spent over a year talking about the likes of Crash, Doomguy, Dante, Steve, et al on a loop.

If anything, it's the smaller, Terry-like characters that have it the toughest, without either the "big hype third parties" crew or the "more Nintendo characters" crew to back them.
I see people on board with smaller third parties more often than not, I know it doesn't mean much, but my post about an ideal Miriam taunt got 12 likes, and Bloodstained may have been successful but I'd hesitate to call it significant or major. It's more so that every essential Nintendo character's already in. First party character speculation also just ends up being Bandana Dee, Rex, a bit of Akira Howard, Dixie and Unspecificed Gen 8 Pokemon, so that's just as stagnant as the general third party picks

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Overall yeah they've had mostly good discussions in the past, I won't deny that. But I'm moreso talking about as of recently.

Characters like Terry aren't exempt from the "filthy Nintendo character" ******** either.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't remember the last time there was an actual discussion about a larger 3rd party that wasn't met with, "Ugh, talking about _______ again?" or "People overly expect big 3rd parties when it's just going to be smaller ones".

Nowadays those types of comments just feel like hyper-aggressive means to change topics for something they don't want to talk about like this thread revolves around their existence and what they like. :nifty:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I also want to take a moment to point out that, "All these Volume 1 character were picks nobody predicted so that means Volume 2 is unpredictable" isn't true in the slightest.

Dragon Quest is a major JRPG, and Japan TOTALLY wanted that in Smash anyway. It was certainly forced by the Verg leaks, but folks in the West didn't even think about it despite its size. Terry was definitely suggested, but shot down quite a bit. I was someone who shot him down. Banjo was very much discussed pre-reveal. Byleth was also discussed and speculated pre-reveal.

They may not have been exact, but this narrative that there's "no way to predict Sakurai" is just not true. To suggest that in a thread about speculation...like why are you even here if you believe that?

Also, I find it interesting that folks are painting some of these characters are "huge 3rd parties". Devil May Cry and Nier, while they may seem large aren't "huge" in a Resident Evil or Final Fantasy sense. NieR Automata is a breakout title similar to Persona 5, while Devil May Cry has a concentrated fanbase and an iconic character from Capcom. They are in no way, "huge 3rd parties" in the same sense as Dragon Quest, even.

To be honest, I think folks don't want to talk about them because they don't want them. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it. I mean, who wants to talk about something they have no interest in? I can sorta understand that, but they're going to be part of the discourse.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Smaller third-party character discussion is in now? I still want Amaterasu, Phoenix Wright, and a Bravely Default character (preferably Edea), so they need to be in.

First party character speculation also just ends up being Bandana Dee, Rex, a bit of Akira Howard, Dixie and Unspecificed Gen 8 Pokemon, so that's just as stagnant as the general third party picks
I feel that. If I got to pick a newcomer for Smash every time I've seen some variation of the phrase "I'm feeling good abou Rex chances now!!!" recently, we'd easily be past this Fighter Pass alone.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If I got to pick a newcomer for Smash every time I've seen some variation of the phrase "I'm feeling good abou Rex chances now!!!" recently, we'd easily be past this Fighter Pass alone.
You'd get double if you counted the number of responses to that comment with "Ew, XC2 sucks! Elma gang!" :secretkpop:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I do, it was back when Dante started getting games on Switch and people really started to see him as a viable candidate. Since then, for whatever reason, people have stopped coming up with big third party picks that become frontrunners, so discussion has really stagnated.

To try and bring a new character to discussion, how about Deus Ex? It's a pretty important franchise in terms of ambition and storytelling in games, and player choice in both gameplay and story. While it seems to be dormant for now, and it's got competition in all of Square Enix's stuff, it's still pretty iconic and Human Revolution's director's cut was a big deal on the Wii U.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, ultimately neither third party talk nor first party talk should be shunned, and really both get shunned quite a bit, whether it be people talking about third party characters being repeated too much or how people will act like any first party characters not already playable in Smash are"bottom of the barrel" or "not important" or whatever.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
. Devil May Cry and Nier, while they may seem large aren't "huge" in a Resident Evil or Final Fantasy sense
Ehhhh DMC still made it in Garteam's list, it's big, just not the creme a la creme. NieR though? **** was hella obscure until Platinum gave us our first Yoko Taro game with good ****ing gameplay
To try and bring a new character to discussion, how about Deus Ex
I'd bump it up on my backlog by like 10 spaces, completely forgot I owned it until I counted all the games to make an order of which games to play

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ehhhh DMC still made it in Garteam's list, it's big, just not the creme a la creme. NieR though? **** was hella obscure until Platinum gave us our first Yoko Taro game with good ****ing gameplay

I'd bump it up on my backlog by like 10 spaces, completely forgot I owned it until I counted all the games to make an order of which games to play
They're amazing games, dunno which one you own but I think you'll enjoy it. Unless it's Invisible War, in that case unlucky you, you got the bad one. I'd go so far as to call the first one and Human Revolution must plays.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
They're amazing games, dunno which one you own but I think you'll enjoy it. Unless it's Invisible War, in that case unlucky you, you got the bad one. I'd go so far as to call the first one and Human Revolution must plays.
I bought that Eidos bundle from a while ago without even ****ing looking at the list, I saw that all earnings would go to foodbanks and boom. Even went "Oh **** Legacy of Kain? That's supposed to be the good ****" months after I bought the damn bundle

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To try and bring a new character to discussion, how about Deus Ex? It's a pretty important franchise in terms of ambition and storytelling in games, and player choice in both gameplay and story. While it seems to be dormant for now, and it's got competition in all of Square Enix's stuff, it's still pretty iconic and Human Revolution's director's cut was a big deal on the Wii U.
I think Denton/Jensen could have a gimmick involving choosing upgrades. Deal enough damage, and down-B will let you choose an augmentation to install that lasts until you die.

They need to find some way to acknowledge those who prefer nonlethal takedowns though.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the moveset concept, they might be able to pull off Hero-style alts for the Bravely Default cast. After all, the main mechanics of the game (the Brave/Default combat, equipment, jobs) affect the cast equally, even if they may have jobs they're more suited to or weapons they're more known for.

If I had to pick just one, I think I might have to go with Edea. That "Mrgrgr" taunt is too juicy to pass up. But Tiz isn't far behind.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The Deus Ex franchise is amazing as hell, Human Revolution still remains one of my favorite games from the seventh generation.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Adam Jensen's been a low-key want of mine for a quite a while now.
He's a fantastic character and in conjunction with Human Revolution's unique aesthetics, particularly in comparison to the roster we currently have, and the gameplay systems of the game, I think he'd be an excellent addition to the roster. The augmentations lend themselves well and the Typhoon would be really hype to use.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What's everyone's opinion on Valve representation? Even as a Mii costume or Spirit or even a full fighter. Whatever you think works.

Gordon Freeman or Scout/Heavy could suffice for any of those roles. Unsure about Portal, though it would make for a good Gunner costume.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What's everyone's opinion on Valve representation? Even as a Mii costume or whatever or even a full fighter.

Gordon Freeman or Scout/Heavy could suffice for any of those roles. Unsure about Portal, though it would make for a good Gunner costume.
Very unlikely but a TF2 rep would make me scream!

:4larry::4larry::4larry:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
What's everyone's opinion on Valve representation? Even as a Mii costume or whatever or even a full fighter.

The Heavy from TF2 would make a great Mii Gunner costume. I'm pretty sure Fawful's Minion (my favorite YouTuber on the planet) would agree with me.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

You know me, Gordon is one of my most wanted characters and I think he would be sick in Smash. I always envisioned him as a grappler with zoning elements. The Gravity Gun would be his tool used to grapple objects and opponents. Other Half-Life weaponry like the snarks could bring some stage control elements as well.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Heavy from TF2 would make a great Mii Gunner costume. I'm pretty sure Fawful's Minion (my favorite YouTuber on the planet) would agree with me.
It'd be funny seeing a chibi Heavy in Smash, it's practically a bobblehead.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Sa- well, I want Ringabel myself
Remember when the ending of Bravely Second teased story developments that could see Ringabel as the protagonist of a hypothetical Bravely Third (though I'd prefer it if they kept up the naming tradition and named after a game mechanic so that we could get "Bravely Run") only for them to just do the Final Fantasy thing and make the next game a seemingly completely unrelated Bravely Default 2?

Depending on the moveset concept, they might be able to pull off Hero-style alts for the Bravely Default cast. After all, the main mechanics of the game (the Brave/Default combat, equipment, jobs) affect the cast equally, even if they may have jobs they're more suited to or weapons they're more known for.

If I had to pick just one, I think I might have to go with Edea. That "Mrgrgr" taunt is too juicy to pass up. But Tiz isn't far behind.
In a Hero kinda situation they could also have Agnés with an "Unacceptable!" taunt.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Remember when the ending of Bravely Second teased story developments that could see Ringabel as the protagonist of a hypothetical Bravely Third (though I'd prefer it if they kept up the naming tradition and named after a game mechanic so that we could get "Bravely Run") only for them to just do the Final Fantasy thing and make the next game a seemingly completely unrelated Bravely Default 2?
Oh thanks for reminding me about that, SE, wtf are you doing?

SKX31

Smash Master

I'd be super happy about Valve getting anything. Dota 2 ranks amongst one of my favorite games (despite it having big problems with toxicity etc.), and I'd be down for Gordon, Chell and / or TF2 appearing in some form.

Also:

The other two Zhuge mentions are Chinese web game companies: iDreamSky is backed by Tencent, while Huatong - originally an auto part company - are heavily connected with Funplus (Funplus' LoL team are the reigning World Champions).

If Sony buys Leyou, Sony would be kinda represented* via the Warframe Spirit. Albeit this would be completely retroactively.

*(Edited, regretted the original wording)

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
What's everyone's opinion on Valve representation? Even as a Mii costume or Spirit or even a full fighter. Whatever you think works.

Considering we just got Vault Boy as a Mii Fighter costume, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Mii Fighter costume or hat based off of a Valve game. Maybe a Swordfighter costume based off of the HEV suit with a crowbar and Headcrab hat, or a Gunner costume based on Chell's orange jumpsuit and robot legs.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Valve representation would make a lot of sense. For Nintendo, it would garner the attention of the PC audience. Meanwhile, Sakurai raves about Half-Life 2.

I imagine Gordon would be the pick since Half-Life is so influential & iconic. But Heavy or Chell would be awesome. I’d love if a Valve character brought over content from all of Valve’s games like Terry did for SNK.

As for smaller 3rd parties, I’d love to see Haggar, Axel Stone, Rash & Joanna Dark. I could see Agnes happening. Is she in Bravely Default 2? I haven’t played those games yet, so I’m not too familiar with their story.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While I'm skeptical of franchises with no Nintendo presence getting unique fighters (or perhaps that's my own reticence to have them) Mii costumes seem like fair game in that regard. I could easily see stuff like League of Legends, Valve titles, get representation with the latter.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

I may not be big on third-parties, but in terms of Valve representation I have but one request.

Gordon Freeman skin with crowbar sword. Any other option will not be optimal.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The other two Zhuge mentions are Chinese web game companies: iDreamSky is backed by Tencent, while Huatong - originally an auto part company - are heavily connected with Funplus (Funplus' LoL team are the reigning World Champions).

If Sony buys Leyou, Sony would be kinda represented* via the Warframe Spirit. Albeit this would be completely retroactively.
So this is how we get Kratos in Smash - because of Sony and Nintendo's current dealings with Tencent, they get a deal by proxy. :4pacman:

Jokes aside, it's certainly an interesting development. I wonder if this will affect future Switch dealings for companies like DE?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Gordon as a fighter would kick ass, but I could also see him as a Mii Costume for either Swordfighter (with the crowbar) or the Gunner (Gravity Gun).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I would absolutely be down for a Sony representative, I'm sure it's been mentioned many times before, But it will likely come down to these top 3 picks.

- Ratchet & Clank
- Nathan Drake
- Kratos

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale gives us a pretty good idea on how they would handle and fight, Ratchet & Clank would probably be my personal choice as he would probably fit in the best and be the easiest to implement.

Of course if Sony doesn't want to play ball with Nintendo (Which will very much likely be the case),Then the most likeliest and closest choice that best represents their Playstation brand, But is owned by another 3rd party and is considered "Fair Game" is...

qr66cji4ah651.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sure, there's plenty of people who will shoot down third-parties just because they don't want 'em, but let's not act like there aren't just as many, if not more people who do the exact same thing to first-parties. I've lost count of how many times I've seen, "First-parties can't sell," "There's no one else they could add," and "They're really boring."

The Smash fanbase is a lot more welcoming to third-party discussion than they are with first-parties, and that's not very hard to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom