• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Thing about first party speculation is that speculators come up with the same five or so picks for enticing first parties and third parties have a whole slew of candidates deemed viable. Luckily, as ARMS shows, there are a lot of Nintendo series who can at least bring a moveset as interesting as those third party picks, but current speculation makes it seem like we’re done with first parties after Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong, going more for the importance angle than the one-of-a-kind moveset ideal.
I began to support Dixie several years ago based only upon her moveset potential. Until that moment, she was a character like many others for me (so, a cool character I liked and cared for, but not more special than any other; someone whose I would have liked the entry in smash, but not someone I would have actively support)

beside this personal note, I somewhat agree. But at the same time we should note that also third parties (maybe even more) are supported just for their importance in videogame history and for their iconicity. Meanwhile, nintendo and somewhat obscure characters like Chorus Kids could bring to the table very original and diverse moveset

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The Smash Bubble community?
"WHAT THE ****? WHY DID DISNEY GETS IN? I THOUGH THEY'D SAY NO?! BUT? THE MICKEY MOUSE KEYCHAIN! THIS IS A NON-VIDEO GAME THING! WAIT? BEFORE [Insert your favorite fighter not announced yet] WHAT A DISGRACE!"
Uh... I don't think the reaction would be negative. Sora is one of the most discussed and wanted characters even in the "Smash Bubble".

I'm not a purist, I just like a lot of small Nintendo series.
Besides, I'd hardly call Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, Wars or Rhythm Heaven "D-Listers".

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Uh... I don't think the reaction would be negative. Sora is one of the most discussed and wanted characters even in the "Smash Bubble".
Y-you know...it was a joke? Right? (Also know that what I said is what was used against Sora for ALOT of people and 99% of his speculation.)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Listen, all I'm saying is that with the recent excellent Switch release of Duke Nukem 3D they have no excuse not to put the REAL king of first person shooters in Smash. Let's rock.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Y-you know...it was a joke? Right? (Also know that what I said is what was used against Sora for ALOT of people and 99% of his speculation.)
Huh. Maybe I'm just bad at reading post tones then.

And I know that there are some people who hate on Sora because of Disney. I've supported him since Brawl, I've seen this before. But they seem to be more of a vocal minority if his sheer amount of support is any indication. Pretty much any popular character also has a share of haters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Huh. Maybe I'm just bad at reading post tones then.

And I know that there are some people who hate on Sora because of Disney. I've supported him since Brawl, I've seen this before. But they seem to be more of a vocal minority if his sheer amount of support is any indication. Pretty much any popular character also has a share of haters.
Yeah I don't like Sora personally but I always roll my eyes when I see someone say he shouldn't get in due to Disney being evil. They're right that Disney are scummy assholes but for some reason those people never seem to care about Nintendo profiting off of Auschwitz-esque slave camps

SKX31

Smash Master
What even happened to him? Last I heard his channel imploded and that was about it.

Hoping for some good sized buffs here, it's been five months since the last one so they had a good amount of time to assess and see which characters could use some changes to get better.
AFAIK NC is still around - but it's clear that he's past his peak. Not to mention that the incompetence, mismanagement etc. around Channel Awesome did damage his credibility. It's telling when many former members of that channel left and are doing their own thing (Linkara, Lindsey Ellis etc.).

As for the buffs, :ultfalcon: could really use a fix on his turnaround dash:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Seriously it's dumb.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Besides, I'd hardly call Golden Sun, Chibi-Robo, Wars or Rhythm Heaven "D-Listers".
I'd definitely call Chibi-Robo a "D-Lister" at the very least. It may seem harsh but like, look at the state of the franchise. First game that's often considered the best? Sold poorly and all future games would be on handheld. Park Patrol? Not only was it never released in Europe, but it sold especially poorly due to being a Walmart exclusive in North America. The third game? Never saw a release outside of Japan likely due to poor sales for Park Patrol, despite this one reviewing much better. Photo Finder? A fifteen dollar AR app for the 3DS that was, by all means, a tech demo. Zip Lash? The series was on life support at this point so they packaged it with an amiibo to encourage sales, saying it would be over for the series if it didn't sell...not only did it not sell well, but the amiibo bundle got dropped in price to the point of being cheaper than a single amiibo, despite coming with a game. And it reviewed horribly.

I'll be honest, as charming as the earlier games in the series are, calling it a D-Lister series is being generous.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'd definitely call Chibi-Robo a "D-Lister" at the very least. It may seem harsh but like, look at the state of the franchise. First game that's often considered the best? Sold poorly and all future games would be on handheld. Park Patrol? Not only was it never released in Europe, but it sold especially poorly due to being a Walmart exclusive in North America. The third game? Never saw a release outside of Japan likely due to poor sales for Park Patrol, despite this one reviewing much better. Photo Finder? A fifteen dollar AR app for the 3DS that was, by all means, a tech demo. Zip Lash? The series was on life support at this point so they packaged it with an amiibo to encourage sales, saying it would be over for the series if it didn't sell...not only did it not sell well, but the amiibo bundle got dropped in price to the point of being cheaper than a single amiibo, despite coming with a game. And it reviewed horribly.

I'll be honest, as charming as the earlier games in the series are, calling it a D-Lister series is being generous.
True, but then again, that's because of Nintendo mismanaging the series rather than the quality of the first game itself. Though I definitely agree on the subsequent entries.

Like, as far as I'm concerned, calling a franchise "D-Tier" also means it's straddling that line between being forgotten for being niche or region-locked and being forgotten for being bad. Which the first game doesn't really do. The other ones did to an extent, but I blame that squarely on Nintendo mismanagement rather than something wrong with the series itself.

Making a franchise's future depend on an entry in a different genre is definitely not one of Nintendo's brightest moments.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be honest, I’m usually pretty easy to satisfy with Smash. Sure, a lot of my wants are 3rd party right now, but I’m real hyped for Min Min.

I think it’s more that the specific 1st party picks people come up with most of the time don’t really excite me. Isaac could excite me, but I have a suspicion he’s simply not happening because he’s an AT. That’s just an example, mind you.

I’m sure any new Smash character would get me hyped but the way some are described I just...don’t have a whole lot of interest, y’know?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
To be honest, I’m usually pretty easy to satisfy with Smash. Sure, a lot of my wants are 3rd party right now, but I’m real hyped for Min Min.

I think it’s more that the specific 1st party picks people come up with most of the time don’t really excite me. Isaac could excite me, but I have a suspicion he’s simply not happening because he’s an AT. That’s just an example, mind you.

I’m sure any new Smash character would get me hyped but the way some are described I just...don’t have a whole lot of interest, y’know?
Yeah, I’m not particularly against first parties as a concept but the ones thrown around simply don’t capture my imagination except for certain Pokémon, and even they aren’t supported as much as seen as this neccesary evil.

I do feel bad for Bandana Dee though. For the longest time it spearheaded the movement of a character with the potential to be a great ranged fighter, only to get upstaged by all these DLC Distance Demons and at this point I can’t see “winning the Forward Smash measuring contest” to be a hook as strong as it used to be, with him now mostly relying on amiibo parasols and Plant-like cannibalism of his species to survive the cacophony of flashy movesets.

To be honest, the best first party characters are Echo-adjacent characters: Impa, Octoling and Dixie would be a smashing trio but they all fall in this limbo of both having all the potential in the world and being a possible clone.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

I think it's because most of them are described by arguments as of why they should get in with sales, iconess etc etc than why they're fun to play. And 99% of the fanmade moveset try too hard to be unique, good or at times just not fun looking.

SKX31

Smash Master
Pokemon MOBA, (Pokemon Unite, they're talking with Steven Ma from Tencent).

Well, turns out that it was Zhuge's guess.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

apology for poor english
when were you when leauge of legend dies
i was sat at home on tweeter when frend ring
"LOL is die"
"no"
and you???????

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
apology for poor english
when were you when leauge of legend dies
i was sat at home on tweeter when frend ring
"LOL is die"
"no"
and you???????
There's too many dislikes on the Direct for it to actually kill LoL. And I don't blame them: Alongside only revealing one thing this time, the game felt rather...bootleg to me despite being officially licensed.

Also I think having NPC roles in that game will be treated even worse than in Smash, because Pokemon like Galvantula and Bewear in that game are only meant to be cannon fodder.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
All of this Tencent-hugging is giving me some serious pre-Banjo "our friends at Microsoft" vibes.

I'm going all in. I think we'll see a League character as part of FP2.

Unite looks fun and different enough from other MOBAs. Will give it a spin once it's out.

Though... why didn't they reveal this game along with the others?

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I wake up to a Pokemon MOBA and a lot of people on Twitter saying "League of Legends rep is inevitable for Smash due to this!".

I haven't missed much while I was asleep, have I?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

It's interesting but tbh if I wanted to play a MOBA on my switch or mobile device I'll just wait for LoL Wild Rift. It's coming out this year and it's probably gonna be more interesting and well developed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
True, but then again, that's because of Nintendo mismanaging the series rather than the quality of the first game itself. Though I definitely agree on the subsequent entries.

Like, as far as I'm concerned, calling a franchise "D-Tier" also means it's straddling that line between being forgotten for being niche or region-locked and being forgotten for being bad. Which the first game doesn't really do. The other ones did to an extent, but I blame that squarely on Nintendo mismanagement rather than something wrong with the series itself.

Making a franchise's future depend on an entry in a different genre is definitely not one of Nintendo's brightest moments.
Mismanagement or not, it's still a fact that it flopped miserably, your personal definition of D Lister doesn't matter honestly, there's loads of examples in comics and tv where there's ridiulously niche franchises that just fade away in obscurity due to nobody buying it, even if it was once successful

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wake up to a Pokemon MOBA and a lot of people on Twitter saying "League of Legends rep is inevitable for Smash due to this!".

I haven't missed much while I was asleep, have I?
There was a Pokemon presentation this morning, announcing a Pokemon MOBA by Tencent, the current owners of League of Legends.

It's like an extension of the idea that "if a series has a game on the Switch, a character from that game could be in Smash" - now it's like "if the developer has a game on the Switch, a character from one of their other games could be in Smash!" It's a little silly - there were rumours about a League of Legends character getting into Smash due to an alleged "leak" correctly predicting that there would be Trials of Mana spirits in the game, but those could easily be coincidences. (especially since "an upcoming game is having a spirit event tied to it" is really easy to throw out there)

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
There was a Pokemon presentation this morning, announcing a Pokemon MOBA by Tencent, the current owners of League of Legends.

I'm aware. I just noticed literally the moment I woke up, people on my feed were spamming "This means a League character is inevitable!" which feels like it's "Business as usual for Smash peeps" if they think something is inevitable due to one announcement.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

I'm kind of the opposite, funny enough. A lot of popular third party choices don't really appeal to me or sound fun to me.

Don't get me wrong, more Smash content is more Smash content, but there definitely are characters being thrown around that would definitely...Underwhelm me, lol. It goes to show everybody's got different tastes.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still think the LoL rumor was a lucky guess for the ToM Spirits only

it did imply a LoL character was FP7 right? If we don’t get the Hollow Knight costume with FP7 and FP7 is someone else this rumor is ded

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm aware. I just noticed literally the moment I woke up, people on my feed were spamming "This means a League character is inevitable!" which feels like it's "Business as usual for Smash peeps" if they think something is inevitable due to one announcement.
To be fair, it's just the latest in a series of collaborations related to Tencent. And it just so happens to be from the same genre as a massively successful game they play a part in.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
To be fair, it's just the latest in a series of collaborations related to Tencent. And it just so happens to be from the same genre as a massively successful game they play a part in.
I think when it comes to the Smash fanbase and the term "Inevitable" it just makes me roll my eyes a bit because every time people make logical guesses, they get blindsided. I think Hero and maybe Min Min were the only correct unanimous correct guesses people had for Smash newcomers.

I mean an LoL rep is still possible but quite a few companies collab with Tencent and not just Nintendo. A rep for it is still possible but I don't think it's "inevitable" as people think.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Still think the LoL rumor was a lucky guess for the ToM Spirits only

it did imply a LoL character was FP7 right? If we don’t get the Hollow Knight costume with FP7 and FP7 is someone else this rumor is ded
honestly, even if the knight gets a mii, it still doesn't mean it's legit because let's be real, EVERYONE is guessing a hollow knight mii

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think when it comes to the Smash fanbase and the term "Inevitable" it just makes me roll my eyes a bit because every time people make logical guesses, they get blindsided. I think Hero and maybe Min Min were the only correct unanimous correct guesses people had for Smash newcomers.

I mean an LoL rep is still possible but quite a few companies collab with Tencent and not just Nintendo. A rep for it is still possible but I don't think it's "inevitable" as people think.
"Inevitable" might be a strong term, yes, but I think it's fair to make predictions.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

It's like an extension of the idea that "if a series has a game on the Switch, a character from that game could be in Smash" - now it's like "if the developer has a game on the Switch, a character from one of their other games could be in Smash!" It's a little silly - there were rumours about a League of Legends character getting into Smash due to an alleged "leak" correctly predicting that there would be Trials of Mana spirits in the game, but those could easily be coincidences. (especially since "an upcoming game is having a spirit event tied to it" is really easy to throw out there)
Don't really have to say anything about your post itself, but I find the amount of dislikes on that video to be really rather entertaining.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, the idea of a Pokemon MOBA isn't a terrible one, but something about Pokemon Unite seems... off. Perhaps it's the free to play monetization scheme or just the general sketchiness of Tencent, but it's reminding me of a free, virus-filled bootleg game. Maybe it's how generic the environments look relative to the Pokemon?

At least Shoko Nakagawa seems to be having fun.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
>>>>>>>>>>Pokemon x LOL
I'm actually interested in thi-
>>>>P2W
Yeah nah I'm out.
Is it actually confirmed it's P2W?
If they're actually locking characters behind paywalls then that's scummy as hell. LoL and Dota 2 have the option to unlock characters by playing through the game.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If they're actually locking characters behind paywalls then that's scummy as hell. LoL and Dota 2 have the option to unlock characters by playing through the game.
Dota 2 gives you all the heroes for free though. Unless you're talking about that weird tutorial thing that locks most of the "difficult" heroes to railroad new players to "easy" heroes, which I'm not sure is a thing anymore.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
"Inevitable" might be a strong term, yes, but I think it's fair to make predictions.
It's still a possibility and IMO I wouldn't be too shocked if we get LoL content of some kind in Smash before DLC ends. It's just with Smash, nothing is 100% set in stone for predictions. It's fair to predict it but seeing people claim an LoL character is basically inevitable is a bit silly. I know a lot of people assumed Steve was inevitable before Banjo and now look.

If they said "Likely" then okay I wouldn't mind. Just not the word "inevitable".

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
They labelled it free to start but there wasn't any indication of the paid elements entailed. Could be paying for characters, could also just be cosmetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom