• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, how would people react if Sora was the next fighter after Min Min, and a Switch port of 1.5+2.5 was announced alongside his announcement?
Disinterested. But happy to not have to listen to Sora fans anymore.

Still, it can't be denied how big of a deal Contra was for gaming, that the earlier games were successful atleast (AFAIK) and how it was the father of the Konami code, which would become a pretty big part of gaming culture and even be used as an easter egg for multiple websites and such.
Technically, the Konami code first appeared in Gradius. But Contra popularized it in NA.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

My favorite thing right now is going into the comments of this video and seeing all the people who didn't play ARMS saying they didn't know this song was legitimately called [NAME REDACTED].

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The overall problem of 1st party characters is that nearly all of the notable characters are already added. So they do seem underwhelming in comparison. I'd say this is one of the reasons for the backlash against Byleth, 4 guest characters in the first season pass bringing a whole slew of new series to Smash.... and then you have an 8th FE character.

Which is followed by another 1st party rep. Although at least ARMS is a new IP so it brought more than Byleth did.

Guest Characters have pretty much become the hype driver now for Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

My favorite thing right now is going into the comments of this video and seeing all the people who didn't play ARMS saying they didn't know this song was legitimately called [NAME REDACTED].
Apparently some people thought it was political.

That really caught me off guard.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I could see Fortnite as the next big Mii Costume drop. It’s popular. Fortnite swordfighter with pickaxe and Fortnite gunner.
I want it revealed with one of the characters in smash doing the default dance.

Games that start trending and getting popular (especially with children) usually go through the wringer with a cycle of hateful reception. I'm not surprised that Pokemon and other older games went through it, too.

These phases are just more easily noticeable nowadays because of advancing technology and the rise and current abundance of social media in everyone's lives.

Five Night's at Freddy's got hit with it. Minecraft got hit with it. Undertale got hit with it. Now, Fortnite's getting the brunt of it.

Criticism of all these games aren't necessarily unjustified. It's just where the toxic hatred and bashing of fans in general for daring to associate with the game where it goes too far.

Thing is, FNaF, MC and UT all went through their cycles. It's not "cool" to hate on the games or insult their fans anymore.

Fortnite will eventually reach that same point. It might just take longer since it not only has a massive playerbase, but it's also got a very prominent and profitable competitive scene in addition to a huge casual playerbase. It's another animal in that regard. It gets talked about it all kinds of gaming circles. So it might take considerably long for the hate to die down by comparison.
I'm just glad I grew up with parents who understood that Pokemon wasn't just a fad, it was to my generation what Star wars was to theirs, so modern children's franchises like fprtnite don't annoy me because I GET that they enjoy stuff like tbat just like I enjoyed Pokemon as a kid.

Shroob

Sup?
Exactly.

I'd much rather have iconic 3rd Party characters over Nintendo's D-listers.
This is the awkward breakdown of speculation.

You got the crazy purists, who think anything not from a Nintendo is absolute satan

You got the average joe, who think 3rd parties are the obvious choice to generate hype

And then you got the people who just think this about any character in particular

1592977335242.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Apparently some people thought it was political.

That really caught me off guard.
I guess Assassin's Creed and Fallout getting censored in NA may have made them think that. Though ironically enough Smash has loads of characters from games with a varying level of political messages like '**** the military' and '**** capitalism' so I'm confused as to why people would think politics in Smash is an absolute no go

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The Smash Bubble community?
"WHAT THE ****? WHY DID DISNEY GETS IN? I THOUGH THEY'D SAY NO?! BUT? THE MICKEY MOUSE KEYCHAIN! THIS IS A NON-VIDEO GAME THING! WAIT? BEFORE [Insert your favorite fighter not announced yet] WHAT A DISGRACE!"

The General gaming fanbase?
You'd probably see half of youtube gaming being Sora reaction video for a good weeks, and discussion non-stop. And the moment of his announcement, Internet would explode.

Normal People?
"Wow, he's cool! Nice! I can't wait to play him."

The KH Community?
"Okay, now, where do you think it fits in the KH Lore? Is Mario Xeanorth?"
Depending on what he comes with, I'll either go "Oh, okay. Cool." or "Mickey Mouse in in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate what the actual ****"
Okay, we have Dracula, so at least it's not entirely unprecedented. It's just that Mickey and the like are easily recognizable as Disney characters, while Dracula's in the public domain and has set himself apart as his own incarnation in Castlevania.
We already knew this

EVERY XEHANORT IS HERE!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I guess Assassin's Creed and Fallout getting censored in NA may have made them think that. Though ironically enough Smash has loads of characters from games with a varying level of political messages like '**** the military' and '**** capitalism' so I'm confused as to why people would think politics in Smash is an absolute no go
To quote Reggie a few years back:
"Making political statements are for other people to do. We want people to smile and have fun when they play our games."

I think it's more of a question of if their games have political messages, they want it to serve the story of the game, only in the context of the game, not to make a statement. (I'm thinking about FE here for exemple)
Then, you have Snake from MGS, but it's another can of worms since he's a guest.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I guess it just depends on the politics, since in most cases the politics in these games is mainly the games world's own internal politics with only minor connection to the real world ones.

The overall problem of 1st party characters is that nearly all of the notable characters are already added. So they do seem underwhelming in comparison. I'd say this is one of the reasons for the backlash against Byleth, 4 guest characters in the first season pass bringing a whole slew of new series to Smash.... and then you have an 8th FE character.

Which is followed by another 1st party rep. Although at least ARMS is a new IP so it brought more than Byleth did.

Guest Characters have pretty much become the hype driver now for Smash.
I get a ton of hate for saying this on other sites, from people who think series like Golden sun and Rythim heaven are just as important as the A-listers, but I just can't see them getting in as DLC.

Heck, more unknown third parties are starting to appear in smash now that we have a ton of the immediate A listers that come to mind for a game like this and they still bring just as much hype as the big names like Sonic and cloud

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

You got the crazy purists, who think anything not from a Nintendo is absolute satan

You got the average joe, who think 3rd parties are the obvious choice to generate hype

And then you got the people who just think this about any character in particular

View attachment 276040
I admit to some purist tendencies, ( darkmatter.png ganon.png goroh.png medusa.png syrup.png are my current most wanteds), but seeing the variety of DLC fighters and Mii costumes has considerably relaxed my standards.
Like, who am I to tell anyone that X can't make it in Smash in any capacity but Sans Undertale, Ezio and Vaultboy can?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just because a political narrative is in a game doesn't mean the company endorses that narrative. I'm sure Nintendo does not agree with "**** capitalism".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
To quote Reggie a few years back:
"Making political statements are for other people to do. We want people to smile and have fun when they play our games."

I think it's more of a question of if their games have political messages, they want it to serve the story of the game, only in the context of the game, not to make a statement. (I'm thinking about FE here for exemple)
Then, you have Snake from MGS, but it's another can of worms since he's a guest.
Oh no even some Nintendo examples include politics that are very much a thing in real life, even if the setting itself is fictional. There's Mother 3, pretty much every Fire Emblem game, Metroid, Pokemon, etc. Makes NA seem really ****ing weird if that was why they censored Fallout, though tension was/is high between Iran and America when the AssCreed costume came out

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't mean anything as in a political message from the game.

I mean people didn't think it was gaming related, and that some bigger conspiracy happened.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Okay, how would people react if Sora was the next fighter after Min Min, and a Switch port of 1.5+2.5 was announced alongside his announcement?
Would be super hyped, and this is coming from someone who hasn’t played Kingdom Hearts. It’s iconic, to the point I was fairly aware of it as a kid even though I couldn’t play it at the time. Would also be interesting to play it, though given the jokes about it’s convoluted nature, that isn’t without hesitation, so it would be the perfect scenario for me. Crash is my number 1 currently, but Sora’s probably my second in terms of who I’d think would be best for the pass.

As someone who hasn’t played ARMS (I thought about getting it while it was free to play, but didn’t have the motivation immediately and the period was over by the time I remembered), what is up with that? That took me off guard when I saw it.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Pranked!
As someone who hasn’t played Arms (I thought about getting it while it was free to play, but didn’t have the motivation immediately and the period was over by the time I remembered), what is up with that? That took me off guard when I saw it.
I think it’s for Dr. Coyle’s stage or something, so I guess it’s a “TOP SECRET” joke.

or Dr. Coyle is secretly hiding SCPs.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Broke: "The Ness Eye glitch means he's being used as a base character for Layton! They have the same kind of eyes!"

Woke:

Same eyes, you say?
View attachment 276023
I don't know if this was meant as a joke or something, but seeing this, i could see Chorus Kid being used if this glitch means anything, but I always thought they were too lowkey for DLC. I guess it's possible because if we go by Datamining and also the Gematsu leak, they were considered in Smash 4, and the franchise itself gets like 2 Million sales with it's games it seems, plus it is a New Franchise. I don't know though

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wonder what's left for this pass, and if the sole purpose of this Pass is mostly for marketing purposes. I mean, it already is technically, but you know what I mean. The only Nintendo-related ads you can press in this thing that I can think of is Pokemon and No More Heroes. At least I would see Travis as justified, so I'm not completely against the idea of shilling new games. :nifty:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Wonder what's left for this pass, and if the sole purpose of this Pass is mostly for marketing purposes. I mean, it already is technically, but you know what I mean. The only Nintendo-related ads you can press in this thing that I can think of is Pokemon and No More Heroes. At least I would see Travis as justified, so I'm not completely against the idea of shilling new games. :nifty:
Oh god people WOULD see Travis and say he's just a shill pick despite a literal decade of requests

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the boat that if they are interesting, any fighter is okay for Smash. If 2B doesn't make it in (Who is my top 1st pick) I'd love to see Akira Howard from Astral Chain in there. That moveset would be interesting,

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh god people WOULD see Travis and say he's just a shill pick despite a literal decade of requests
From big man Suda himself, no less. :239: The only bad thing to come out of Travis is forcing a recharge mechanic on his katana. I can see it now, you gotta do the same input as Inkling's ink recharge.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

View attachment 276040
Honestly I think #3 is more likely to be your average Joe. I can't see average Joes assigning arbitrary hype points to Geno just because he isn't a filthy Nintendo character despite being a part of Mario.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think it’s for Dr. Coyle’s stage or something, so I guess it’s a “TOP SECRET” joke.

or Dr. Coyle is secretly hiding SCPs.
Ah, so nobody knows? I originally thought that but seeing a YouTube video made be question that. My original guess when watching the Direct would be a track from ARMS 2 if that’s announced prior to Min Min’s release.

Also for some reason my phone’s autocorrect keeps changing “Min’s” to “Moms” or “Mums” randomly.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As someone who hasn’t played ARMS (I thought about getting it while it was free to play, but didn’t have the motivation immediately and the period was over by the time I remembered), what is up with that? That took me off guard when I saw it.
[Name Redacted} is the name of Coyle's stage.

The track name is the stage name.

It's a joke on top secret information and stuff.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
From big man Suda himself, no less. :239: The only bad thing to come out of Travis is forcing a recharge mechanic on his katana. I can see it now, you gotta do the same input as Inkling's ink recharge.
Hey, Inkling's recharge is so trivial it may as well not be there, meaning Travis wouldn't even need to sacrifice too much of an advantage state, especially if he gets a kill

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey, Inkling's recharge is so trivial it may as well not be there, meaning Travis wouldn't even need to sacrifice too much of an advantage state, especially if he gets a kill
What would his Final Smash be? Glastonbury? Tiger Transformation? A TSB reference?

It'll probably be cinematic, literally all of the FP cast have them.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I will say.

Min Min, and ARMS content in general has been received much better than most predicted before the reveal.

Even the naysayers who complained that it was an ARMS character in general seem excited.
Really curious. It's almost like... almost like the negative reaction to Byleth had nothing to do with being first party, the long waiting period, not being Dante, or whatever million other excuses people came up with.
The reason must have been something else. But what could it be? A real mystery...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Fighter Pass 2 won't be out until the end of 2021.

Know what else has no chance of coming out before 2021?

Spatman

Smash Ace
surely it wasn't of any help, the fact that FE in smash is almost always the exception, to the extent that many people think there is a FE privilege

however, the concept you are underlining is right, but we shouldn't forget that Smash is mainly a Nintendo game, so:
1) nintendo "minor" characters have however many fans and should gather enough hype ad happyness within the community
2) guest stars have a price, so we should understand that every new smash game and every new smash fighter pass will be "filled" (how this verb sounds unfitting in this context!) by Nintendo characters in order to keep their earnings much more convenient in comparison to the price they payed to borrow third party characters

Spatman

Smash Ace
from now to the end of 2021 Nintendo will release many games, so there will be many games they could want to advertise via smash dlcs.
Speaking about that, a game that for sure doesn't need to be marketed is pokémon, it sells more than smash lol
so, a pokémon as dlc would serve as a mean to increase smash sellings and, of course, to earn a lot by that dlc alone. So, exactly the contrary of "a dlc which serves as a living ads for another game/series"

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

View attachment 276040
frankly i don't like picking sides when it comes to 1st or 3rd party

i just support whoever i think is cool, really

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Thing about first party speculation is that speculators come up with the same five or so picks for enticing first parties and third parties have a whole slew of candidates deemed viable. Luckily, as ARMS shows, there are a lot of Nintendo series who can at least bring a moveset as interesting as those third party picks, but current speculation makes it seem like we’re done with first parties after Bandana Dee and Dixie Kong, going more for the importance angle than the one-of-a-kind moveset ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom