• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wright, Jill or Dante would be my favourite Capcom picks.
They are good picks.

Capcom is up there with Nintendo and SEGA for making distinct and unique characters, so it has a lot of cool fighters to pick from. I'd even be okay with niche characters like Amaterasu, Arthur or Morrigan.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hope you feel better.
Maybe it’s because I just picked up Resident Evil Revelations and am loving it so far, but I would agree that the lack of Resident Evil representation in smash seems suspect. I’m sure many of the monsters wouldn’t make it as spirits just because some of the designs are genuinely disturbing. However, most of the protagonists or even support characters shouldn’t be an issue.
If Capcom gets an RE character, it would probably called something like Survivor, and feature multiple protagonists a la DQ Hero. Most of them have a similar skill set in the games, so only major changes would be body types.

In any case, I’m thinking 33% chance of Capcom, 33% Tecmo Koei, 33% anyone else
I think Capcom has the biggest chances, followed by Namco and then there's Tecmo, SNK, Level-5, Activision, and Bethesda all sharing the 3rd place. The thing with Namco is that I can see their Mii Costumes being added with characters from other companies (like it was in Smash 4) and we may end up not getting a character of theirs at all. I guess we'll see if Lloyd's costume comes with Hero. That will boost everyone else's chances in relation to Namco's.

As for a RE character a la Hero... I dunno, I think it works in that case because of their similar builds. I think if we're getting a character from RE, I think it will be a singular protagonist, Jill and Leon having the best chances right now.

They aren't a lock by any means, but I think they are fairly likely.

I don't think Hero and Banjo point out a Capcom character, though.
What do you mean by "point out", exactly?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sorry, just woke up and I have a splitting headache. Here's the actual question: how likely do you all think a Capcom character has become?
It's likely, but not a lock by any means.
Monster Hunter is my most wanted Capcom rep but I'm not sure how their chances look after Rathalos got in. There's Dante who I think his producer said something that alluded to him not being in. So that leaves us with Resident Evil and Ace Attorney.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I hope a Capcom character is DLC just because of how much they are willing to play ball when it comes to crossover content.

Street Fighter alone has almost 40 songs and got a whole sub-area in WoL. Megaman gets multiple new assist trophies. Zangeif and Gravity Man are both style trainers in WoL, none of the other 3rd party companies have that. Rathalos wasn’t even connected with any other MH content, they just wanted to put him in. They even allowed for Ken to get beat up and overshadowed by Incineroar in his own reveal trailer.

From their track record so far I want another Capcom character just because of how much more content we get from them compared to other companies besides Konami. But unlike Konami, I feel like Capcom still has a pretty decent list of iconic characters they could pull from.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Monster Hunter is my most wanted Capcom rep but I'm not sure how their chances look after Rathalos got in. There's Dante who I think his producer said something that alluded to him not being in. So that leaves us with Resident Evil and Ace Attorney.
To be clear on the Dante point, the current series director said "Well, you think about it… I’m pretty sure that they… all the characters in Smash at least have some game on a Nintendo platform, right? [...] Well, that’s the thing. Devil May Cry has never been on a Nintendo platform. So it seems like the first thing to do would be to get Capcom to put Devil May Cry on a Nintendo platform in some way, shape or form – whatever game that might be.”

By a staggering coincidence, this was followed up by the announcement of Devil May Cry 1 randomly being ported to the Switch three months later. Despite my sarcasm, this very well could have been a coincidence, but at the very least, the game was likely in development for the Switch when he said this (I can't imagine it would take less than four months to develop, announce, and release a game, even a port), and he would likely have been aware of that.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
You really think a violent gunman would be more appealing to kids than a cartoony bear and bird?
Yeah, actually.
Look at games like COD and Halo, who infamously had large child demographics for a while now (I doubt that's changed with time). Even with N3ON's example of GI Joe, it shows that "Strong powerful shooter hero" is an archetype that kids really like. They see these characters as awesome, BA, anything else you would describe them as, and they love this archetype for that. Doomguy is the only feasible FPS character in Smash (sans the RE folk but are they FPS?) after characters like Master Chief got deconfirmed by another character or source. It also doesn't hurt that Doomguy looks a lot like Master Chief, who I know is very popular among kids as an icon. Most kids past five or so wouldn't be caught dead choosing a random cartoon character they know literally nothing about, past the age of seven or so, anyways. I'm sure you would have to tone him down a lil, but even if ye didn't I'm still adamant kids would prefer him.
You can easily give Doom justice without any of the blood and gore, all what you have to do is properly portray the gun n run style of the games and make it feel like you're playing as Doomguy. And besides, Bayonetta is rated M character that portrays sexiness and violence in her games. But the developers didn't focus on the sexiness and violence aspect of her character while developing her for Smash. The same could be done for Doomguy, just properly portray the feeling of playing as Doomguy without the violence.
You could remove all the gore and just keep that "super hard hitting, mega chad" aura you get while playing the Doom games. Make his attacks super powerful but hard to use, with the weapons having similar feel to how they did in the games.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
So, how come when we're talking about potential Bethesda reps, we always seem to gloss over Skyrim and the Dovahkiin? You know, the main character from the game Bethesda LOVES to port to everything? I'm not denying DoomGuy's chances, I think they're decent. I just want to know how come Skyrim gets shafted in these newcomer discussions.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So, how come when we're talking about potential Bethesda reps, we always seem to gloss over Skyrim and the Dovahkiin? You know, the main character from the game Bethesda LOVES to port to everything? I'm not denying DoomGuy's chances, I think they're decent. I just want to know how come Skyrim gets shafted in these newcomer discussions.
I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I'd say it's possibly because the Dovahkiin is so heavily customizable, and changes significantly depending on player choice. Sure, there have been characters with some degree of customization in Smash before, like the Villager, Inklings, Robin, the Miis, or Corrin, but at least all of those maintain the same core gameplay no matter how you change their appearance, and in the case of the Pokemon Trainer, everybody gets the same starters no matter how they play the game.

Sure, the appearance of a character like Robin might change quite a bit from player to player, but at least he or she consistently stays the same species and starts off with a combination of a sword and magic. I haven't played much of Skyrim, but from my understanding, you can go any number of directions, from a sword-wielding human to a stealthy lizardman archer to a vampire cat mage.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, no, I don't think we have any locks at this point in time. I just think it's really likely, but hey, we could always be surprised. And even though I'd rather see Phoenix, Resident Evil could also bring some interesting stuff to Ultimate, so either way I'm fine with a new Capcom character.

On my end, it's because I don't know much about Skyrim or Fallout, for that matter. So it's hard for me to judge how big they are compared to Doom Slayer. Like, how big are those series outside of the States? I know Sakurai is a Fallout fan, but not much else.

Plus, what kind of gameplay could these characters bring to Ultimate? Do you guys have any ideas?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I'd say it's possibly because the Dovahkiin is so heavily customizable, and changes significantly depending on player choice. Sure, there have been characters with some degree of customization in Smash before, like the Villager, Inklings, Robin, the Miis, or Corrin, but at least all of those maintain the same core gameplay no matter how you change their appearance, and in the case of the Pokemon Trainer, everybody gets the same starters no matter how they play the game.

Sure, the appearance of a character like Robin might change quite a bit from player to player, but at least he or she consistently stays the same species and starts off with a combination of a sword and magic. I haven't played much of Skyrim, but from my understanding, you can go any number of directions, from a sword-wielding human to a stealthy lizardman archer to a vampire cat mage.
Well then in that case, why couldn't they just make them like a jack of all trades character? Make them have multiple tools to work with. We already have the precedent of Hero having multiple specials, so I don't see why something similar couldn't be done. Besides, they don't have to necessarily make them 100% unique like their game. Just make them have the default skin you see in promotional art, and add few races as alts. Same tools, just different alts, like Hero.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here's the actual question: how likely do you all think a Capcom character has become?
When it comes to all the publishers currently involved with Smash, Capcom still has the most characters to choose from. Leon, Jill, Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, Dante, Nero, Morrigan, Monster Hunter, the Arisen, Stryder, Arthur, Spencer, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, Frank West, and Samanosuke just to name a couple. However, the only likely candidate from that list would probably be Leon since he's 1 of the most popular RE characters to date and hasn't appeared in any of the vs Capcom games (though he was in Project X Zone and may not factor into his inclusion anyways). It's obvious that they'll tone down the bloody and gory designs of the zombies if they were to add them either by spirits or in the background of a stage, so I'm curious as to how they would approach it without raising the age ratings.

As for who I'd want from them, I'm biased towards Capcom since they've made a lot of other crossover games with most of the characters mentioned being on them, so if anyone on that list of names were to be in Smash, Samanosuke and the Arisen would probably be my favorite wildcard picks because they haven't appeared in any of the Capcom crossovers that I know of. Onimusha may not have as much relevancy as Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Ace Attorney do, but it's niche enough for me to want to see it happen since that franchise is hardly in any crossovers, and Dragon's Dogma is my favorite Capcom game to date so of course I'd like to see the Arisen even if Sakurai might find it hard to make a moveset out of him.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
On my end, it's because I don't know much about Skyrim or Fallout, for that matter. So it's hard for me to judge how big they are compared to Doom Slayer. Like, how big are those series outside of the States? I know Sakurai is a Fallout fan, but not much else.

Plus, what kind of gameplay could these characters bring to Ultimate? Do you guys have any ideas?
Dovahkiin’s default and promotional design is depicted as wielding a sword and shield, but the thing that would probably be the most unique for him is the magical Dragon Shouts, which are stronger the more words you say, or in the case for smash stronger the longer you charge the attack. The story important Dragon Shouts are Unrelenting Force, Whirlwind Spirit, and Dragonrend.

Unrelenting Force (AKA Fus-Ro-Dah!) is a shout that staggers and pushes enemies. Could have a windbox effect, charge it longer to paralyzes opponents and deal more damage.
Whirlwind Spirit allows for Dovahkiin to dash forward extremely quickly. It could be used as a recovery, the longer you charge it the farther you go.
Dragonrend is used to force dragon's to immediately land. Perhaps it could be expressed as a debuff that lowers the enemies jump height and spikes in the air.

As for a Fallout character, I'm not sure which protagonist they would base it on so I can't really say.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Sorry, just woke up and I have a splitting headache. Here's the actual question: how likely do you all think a Capcom character has become?
Very. Capcom has so many iconic franchises and characters, I have a hard time imagining them being skipped over.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I want to clarify some misunderstanding there's with the "Yokai Watch series", some people are saying it's a manga series and it can't be choosen.
Fortunately that's not true at all, while it's true the manga tie-in based on the game (stated by Level-5 themselves) released first, the YW series started as a videogame since the game was in devolopment way before the manga was ever printed (YW was anounced in 2011 as a videogame with anime/manga tie-in).

Pretty much Yokai Watch is a videogame franchise first and foremost (stated by level-5), just because it had an manga-tie in release first it doesn't make Jibanyan a manga character.
So please if you don't like Jibanyan at least try to use an argument that doesn't involve "It's a manga character" because it's just outright false, hell Level-5 didn't even count the manga release for the 5th anniversary of the series.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I want to clarify some misunderstanding there's with the "Yokai Watch series", some people are saying it's a manga series and it can't be choosen.
Fortunately that's not true at all, while it's true the manga tie-in based on the game (stated by Level-5 themselves) released first, the YW series started as a videogame since the game was in devolopment way before the manga was ever printed (YW was anounced in 2011 as a videogame with anime/manga tie-in).

Pretty much Yokai Watch is a videogame franchise first and foremost (stated by level-5), just because it had an manga-tie in release first it doesn't make Jibanyan a manga character.
So please if you don't like Jibanyan at least try to use an argument that doesn't involve "It's a manga character" because it's just outright false, hell Level-5 didn't even count the manga release for the 5th anniversary of the series.
They celebrated the Yokai Watch series sixth anniversary yesterday. Which was the anniversary of the game.

So yes, Yokai Watch is without a doubt a videogame franchise. Especially as far as Level-5 is concerned.

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Quick Question and by all means the opposite of what I'm about to ask is far more likely and almost a sure thing but: What if the Geno Mii Costume didn't return? What do would you think of his chances and do you think that would change anything?

On one hand I've seen some people say if the Mii Costume doesn't return that shoots up his chances drastically and would be really suspicious but on the other hand People could take it as they just didn't want to bring it back and it doesn't change anything. But again Geno's Mii Costume is almost a sure fire thing at this point I'd just like others opinions on this.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
They celebrated the Yokai Watch series sixth anniversary yesterday. Which was the anniversary of the game.

So yes, Yokai Watch is without a doubt a videogame franchise. Especially as far as Level-5 is concerned.
Yeah, the manga was just an add for the game pretty much, the game was been in devolopment way before the manga even existed.
People are just confused because it released about 5 months before the game, it's understeable through.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Quick Question and by all means the opposite of what I'm about to ask is far more likely and almost a sure thing but: What if the Geno Mii Costume didn't return? What do would you think of his chances and do you think that would change anything?

On one hand I've seen some people say if the Mii Costume doesn't return that shoots up his chances drastically and would be really suspicious but on the other hand People could take it as they just didn't want to bring it back and it doesn't change anything. But again Geno's Mii Costume is almost a sure fire thing at this point I'd just like others opinions on this.
It likely doesn't mean much, some people read too much into absent content.

StormC

Smash Hero

Think it just means that they decided to not bring it back for whatever reason.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

It might not mean anything. Remember how Isaac’s AT was cut from 4? Nothing came of it since and his AT returned in Ultimate

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd say near lock status.

I'd be sad because I'm pretty sure he won't be DLC and that would just mean he downgraded from Smash 4 to Ultimate.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Even if Geno turns out to be released with Hero, how will they handle Fighter 74 being released before 73?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Imagine if Geno was the second-last shown. At that point the speculation would be an inferno: who could possibly one-up that?
Another dead 90s character that's only big in Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I am sure i've already asked this before, and I hate to sound disrespectful, but what legit reasons exist in Crash's favor? I really haven't seen much crash support prior to maybe early 2018 (compared to the endless support for most other fan-fav smash additions like Banjo), and we already have a "playstation rep" in Joker. His fans usually tend to overlap with Banjo's anyways, and he doesn't really have the "was an icon for Nintendo" allure that Banjo had. I don't honestly think Crash is getting in as DLC tbh. Maybe if the eventual rerelease adds another DLC pack Crash will surely show up there, but here I am not as certain.
Did Doomguy support specifically exist in droves prior to early 2018, or was he like Crash?

Permitting Crash cause we already have a "Playstation rep" is kinda like permitting Joker cause we already had BOTH Solid Snake and Cloud from FF7. It's not like Joker's inclusion was said to have anything to do with his "Sony-ness".

While Banjo may have had that "allure" Crash doesn't, it's not like Crash is without his own; have you seen how much the series has sold? Banjo doesn't have his popularity that his two-game revival has granted him.

Also, I wouldn't jump to assuming there's gonna be such a rerelease, for one thing considering the big hassle it was to get everyone involved for the PREVIOUS CHARACTERS of Ultimate, and now you have to include Microsoft and the other newcomers into the equation as well.
So, our shortlist for the frontrunners is still something like this, isn’t it?

- Leon Kennedy
- Jill Valentine
- Heihachi
- Lloyd Irving
- Phoenix Wright
- Crash
- Doomguy
- Ryu Hayabusa
So, perhaps another Capcom rep of Resident Evil or Phoenix Wright or what have you (what are the other big options?) assuming the three they got isn't too many already, likewise maybe they could be contempt with Konami characters for now, Bamco could still be under "no viable representatives" like it was in Smash 4 but who knows, I'm personally rooting for Crash, Doomguy could be cool assuming the Japan audience is okay with Doom enough like they were with Banjo for that to happen, maybe a Tecmo or SNK character in there, who knows, and maybe, just maybe a new Nintendo series of a certain kind in there I can dream.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice

If Geno’s mii costume doesn’t return, I’m going to assume Squenix was Squenixing again. I really like Geno and supported him in Brawl and even in 4, but at this point I’m just done. I don’t see Geno coming back in anything, much less smash, because Squenix doesn’t want to give up the rights and Nintendo doesn’t really want or need them anyway.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

If it doesn't come back then it means they either couldn't get it or didn't want to get it for whatever reason. The Mii costume not returning would actually damn Geno since it's a big reason why his fans held hope for him during the pre-release speculation.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I wonder, if he can't make it into the Smash game with the biggest (teehee) fan requests answered ever, would he really have that much chance in another?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I think Geno's chances are done as far as the Fighter's Pass is concerned.

With that being said, I think a character like him could be justified as standalone DLC. He wouldn't need a stage to go along with him. Just him and his Forest Maze track needs to be added. Of course, this is assuming standalone DLC is even happening.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I wonder, if he can't make it into the Smash game with the biggest (teehee) fan requests answered ever, would he really have that much chance in another?
Are you referring to Geno?
If so then I agree with you. Ultimate was his best chance since it focused on fan service and the ballot. Sakurai has already said in his book that he won't do another ballot again and he won't refer to a ballot anymore for future games. I'm not saying fan support won't play a role in the next title, but it's safe to say this was his best shot and it passed away.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
to answer my 12th question, it's doomslayer,Doom pretty much popularize the fps genre and a more easier violent M-rated Franchise to implement in smash than Mortal Kombat,
for comparison the way I see it in terms of violence: Mortal Kombat is more like Invader Zim(More realistic violence and Darker tone) while doom is more like The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (more over the top/more cartoonish graphic violence) (not the best comparison but that's the closest thing I think of).

and now for my 13th Question

Question 13(similar to My 1st Question)
Witch of the 3 ps2 Sony mascots would you prefer to see in smash bros ultimate dlc(If Sony change it's Mind)
1:Jak and Daxter
2:Ratchet & Clank
3:Sly Cooper

D

Deleted member

to answer my 12th question, it's doomslayer,Doom pretty much popularize the fps genre and a more easier violent M-rated Franchise to implement in smash than Mortal Kombat,
for comparison the way I see it in terms of violence: Mortal Kombat is more like Invader Zim(More realistic violence and Darker tone) while doom is more like The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (more over the top/more cartoonish graphic violence) (not the best comparison but that's the closest thing I think of).

Witch of the 3 ps2 Sony mascots would you prefer to see in smash bros ultimate dlc(If Sony change it's Mind)
Jak and Daxter.

Because of Naughty Dog.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Another dead 90s character that's only big in Smash speculation.
Dead 90's characters are so passe.

Dead 00's characters is where it's at now.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I guess Sly looks like the least boring one, but none of them is any interesting.

StormC

Smash Hero
Maybe? Depends on what the next Smash looks like. How will they address fan demand? Will fans still request Geno 5-7 years from now? Can Nintendo and Square come to a reasonable agreement on the character? There's a lot of unknown factors. I think he and Isaac have pretty uphill battles, all said.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Ratchet & Clank
Not only do I like their games the most between that list, but they hold the biggest arsenal of weaponry.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Are you referring to Geno?
If so then I agree with you. Ultimate was his best chance since it focused on fan service and the ballot. Sakurai has already said in his book that he won't do another ballot again and he won't refer to a ballot anymore for future games. I'm not saying fan support won't play a role in the next title, but it's safe to say this was his best shot and it passed away.
TBF, we got a lot of big fan requests with more strongly tied to or the stars of a franchise (Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo), which Geno sadly doesn't meet.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hot take...

The next Smash is going to be a 3D Fighter. I see there being no way they can ever top Ultimate's roster and they can't continue adding forever given licensing issues.

The only way they could justify a new entry with less fighters is by giving the gameplay a big overhaul and doing something new with it. Hence why I believe a 3D Fighter would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom