• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Random, but does anyone know if Minmin's spirit was on the map in World of Light? If so I wonder how that will work. Will her spirit get removed? Will it become her unlock battle? Interested to find out
Yup, she's in WoL.

mine.png

Edit: As Shroob pointed out, her Fighter spirit might be the Ultimate artwork, meaning the OG Spirit might retain its classification as a fight-able Spirit (except having Corrin replaced by Min Min of course).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Corrin, iirc
Then I think she's getting a new Spirit for Classic. The way Sakurai notes it, it's very likely she replaces her own Spirit Battle over Corrin if she's downloaded.

Thanks for the answer~

(Note that I don't think she's getting a new unlock battle. I'm guessing DLC is the same way as before, though maybe you need 20 characters to get all of Pass 2 unlocked. 20 base game characters, anyway).

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, since it's it's confirmed you can't fight against Bosses in the spirit rematch, might it hint at a New Boss rush coming along

if that's the case, could we get new bosses, ones related to the fighter packs. if so, this bodes well for a Character i have in mind

Shroob

Sup?
Can I just say

As a completionist, who for some reason spent WAY too much time trying to fight every Spirit battle just for that little red ribbon on their battle.

This rematch feature is kinda great. It's ultimately pointless, but great.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I still believe that spirits and assist trophies shouldn't be DLC fighters, but now they're fair game regardless of what I believe.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know, since it's it's confirmed you can't fight against Bosses in the spirit rematch, might it hint at a New Boss rush coming along

if that's the case, could we get new bosses, ones related to the fighter packs. if so, this bodes well for a Character i have in mind
who do you have in mind?

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I don't see why they can't just remove Min Min's spirit battle from WOL and the Spirit board and just change it to a fighter spirit. Just replace it in WOL with something else.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Cause that's the kicker.
...I understood that reference. :4pacman:

They're very different.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but almost every fighter Spirit has two versions, no? One "OG" version and the Ultimate version. Only exception seems to be Cloud.

They could indeed replace her in WoL and add her Ultimate render to make one single Spirit, but I think we should wait and see.

Wait, they confirmed that!?

Why... all I wanted was to fight Dracula and Marx as the DLC characters whenever I wanted to... :(

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait, where was it confirmed?
unknown.png

Ganon doesn't have Rematch button, and also There was a section where you could see Marx didn't have it either

who do you have in mind?

I can't say right now, i have to put it in a Document with the evidence because if i just say Ima get blasted. All i will say is if the cards are played right with all the info from The Presentation, i think i could decipher who one of the DLC is

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
would the boss rush include Galeem and Dharkon though...? and would it be 2P ready?

If we can't get 2P WoL, that may be the next best thing

Last edited:

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Makes sense you can't rematch Bosses, would kinda remove a part of what makes WOL an adventure mode. That and I imagine it would be trickier to load entire bosses at a whim.

Suiren_Kirin

Smash Cadet
These are the ones that I consider the most probable at this point

#76- Min Min

#77- Geno ( I do not like it but I am happy for those who love it, I think that everything can point to being the last pick of fanservice for their fans with K. Roll and Banjo, here I would have preferred Master Chief)

#78 - Travis Touchdown (I don't even know him well but he is the most likely for No more Hero 3, here I would have preferred Sora )

#79 - Doom Slayer (In his version of Eternal, he is an icon and all his renewed design helped him to strengthen his identity, plus it seems that Bethesda already has a vault boy in)

#80 - KOS-MOS (It is much more important for namco than it seems, and also for Monolith soft and its director Takahashi, I really think it will be a surprise, along with her I also think that Rex has a very strong opportunity but it is hard for me to see them both in the same pass so I prioritize KOS-MOS first for its potential)

#81 - Crash Bandicoot (As the last DLC and with the position that was given it gives the feeling that it is made by and for fans, that's why I want to think that if it is not Crash, here I would go or Geno or even Master Chief, since they are real bombs, they would close the pass)

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Seriously though

I know it was pointed out before but

It's not the most big-brain **** I've ever seen, but basically hiding who it is behind a post that a surprising amount of people read wayyy too deeply into is classic.

Everyone took this as "Oh, this means the pass will be mainly first parties!"

Irman out here b like, "Nah dawgs, I just wanted to tease Min Min." :bowsette:
I don't think the Min Min hint means "disregard everything I said it's just a tease lol", it's just a sensical business prediction.
Generally with DLC, the further you go from a game's release, the more sales diminish. Except for Star Citizen for some ungodly reason. But you know what doesn't diminish? Licensing fees. Third party characters cost money, and Nintendo currently has to have the license to fourteen characters from twelve series from eight different companies just to maintain the roster. Then you have other factors like the music and creating and distributing figures of the characters and you've got yourself a whole bunch of complications. It's very much a risk versus reward situation, and as the risk remains the same, the rewards go down.

On the flipside, you have characters like Byleth or Min Min, who may not be as popular as the third parties, but cost nothing to use. It's not as rewarding, but it's not as costly, either, and the further from launch you get, the more profitable of a route that is. A character like Joker or Hero may have been financially successful right after the game came out, but a whole two years later, it's a very different environment.

I still think there's plenty of third parties with a good shot, particularly from companies that are easier to license from like Namco and Capcom, but I wouldn't be as sure we're gonna see anything too crazy going forward.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the lack of a rematch option for boss character Spirits is pretty straightforward.

They're not Spirit battles. Just like Fighter Spirits and certain Spirits you can only purchase in shops, there's no real Spirit battle for these characters.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Makes sense you can't rematch Bosses, would kinda remove a part of what makes WOL an adventure mode. That and I imagine it would be trickier to load entire bosses at a whim.
At the same time, this makes it so that the only way to make certain boss - character matchups is via 2-Player Classic mode or by replaying the whole boss rush at the end of WoL.

Like... since Boss Spirits are only obtainable through WoL (I think), it would be interesting to be able to freely rematch after defeating them once.

EDIT: Especially since you don't get their Spirit if you use the Rematch feature, as seen in the presentation. So it's not like you can farm their Spirits or anything.

Last edited:
would the boss rush include Galeem and Dharkon though...? and would it be 2P ready?

If we can't get 2P WoL, that may be the next best thing
Brawl's boss rush included it's final boss and was 2 player, it'd definetly be like that for Ultimate's version I think.

You could say the same thing about the bosses in Subspace, but they had no problem inserting a boss rush after beating the mode once. (If that's what you're talking about)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Watched the reveal with my friends, congrats to all the Min-Min supporters. Goes to show that not everything is going to be as much of a complicated loop around logic holes as it seems. There's practically no use in trying to look deeper into Min-Min, that's just grasping for straws.:nifty:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think the Min Min hint means "disregard everything I said it's just a tease lol", it's just a sensical business prediction.
Generally with DLC, the further you go from a game's release, the more sales diminish. Except for Star Citizen for some ungodly reason. But you know what doesn't diminish? Licensing fees. Third party characters cost money, and Nintendo currently has to have the license to fourteen characters from twelve series from eight different companies just to maintain the roster. Then you have other factors like the music and creating and distributing figures of the characters and you've got yourself a whole bunch of complications. It's very much a risk versus reward situation, and as the risk remains the same, the rewards go down.

On the flipside, you have characters like Byleth or Min Min, who may not be as popular as the third parties, but cost nothing to use. It's not as rewarding, but it's not as costly, either, and the further from launch you get, the more profitable of a route that is. A character like Joker or Hero may have been financially successful right after the game came out, but a whole two years later, it's a very different environment.

I still think there's plenty of third parties with a good shot, particularly from companies that are easier to license from like Namco and Capcom, but I wouldn't be as sure we're gonna see anything too crazy going forward.
But he's also just a joe blow insider, he may know information that we don't know slightly earlier than us

But he doesn't know the whole pass.

This isn't any different than someone here saying "temper your expectations", which is a more than reasonable thing to say... but at the same time, it's very obvious here he just wanted an excuse to dump Min Min without saying he was leaking her.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Isnt it suspicious they did NOT changed Rex spirit battle to his Mii costume?

Edit: Forgot the word "not" lol

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now that Min-Min's done, we can have fun with speculation again since Spirits are supposedly back on the table. There's five slots to choose from. Well, I'll reserve a slot of that for Pokemon. As much as I would hate the idea of another ad pick, I cannot deny that it is a strong contender from the marketing side.

Vault Boy as a Mii Costume was interesting, wonder if they're going to work with Bethesda again in the future for Elder Scrolls or DOOM content. I don't' mean just characters either, Spirit events and all that come along with it.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Brawl's boss rush included it's final boss and was 2 player, it'd definetly be like that for Ultimate's version I think.

You could say the same thing about the bosses in Subspace, but they had no problem inserting a boss rush after beating the mode once. (If that's what you're talking about)
To be fair, we don't have a boss rush mode this time, so maybe the circumstances are different.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

You're making it sound like music and figures aren't already something costly in first-parties (in fact, Min Min barely has any new remixes), or that somehow they're somehow cheap to make. And it's not like you can even consider third-parties a "risk vs reward" situation when the first Fighters Pass was considered a success in sales. Not to mention Nintendo has already spent even more licensing money in just the Mii costumes, if they really cared that much about that ****, they wouldn't be paying to make a Vault Boy costume at all.

If Joker and Hero weren't financially successful, I'm pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't have bothered making Amiibo figures for them at all, especially when Amiibos in general are becoming less and less recurring.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Isnt it suspicious they did changed Rex spirit battle to his Mii costume?
Tbh, I wish they'd do this more.

As someone who actually buys all the Mii Costumes, I'd love for them to retroactively change the base game spirit fights to incorporate the DLC Miis.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's interesting, but it doesn't seem conclusive.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
You're making it sound like music and figures aren't already something costly in first-parties (in fact, Min Min barely has any new remixes),
Not to discredit your original point, but the reason she doesn't have many remixes is because Sakurai stated that ARMS' music already fits within the context of Smash, a fighting game, negating the need to do so.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Untitled.png

Why does Sakurai know such information? It is simple. This is his research information before he announces Goku as FP7. :secretkpop:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom