• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
*looks at Jill, Leon & Resident Evil in general*

As for the protagonist thing, is there any secondary characters from “new series” that are actually requested? The only one I could think of was Sans, but he obviously became a Mii costume instead.

I don’t really see why that’s a topic of debate when no one really has a reason to fight against it lmao
Vault Boy's never been a major character in FallOut's story (nor much of an interactable character) - instead, he's the mascot character of the Vault-Tec Corporation and a symbol of stats and items in the FallOut games.

Guess his inclusion does lessen the idea of the language barrier being severe. "Lessen" being the keyword here, not "eliminate entirely".

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Gotta be honest here - despite Heihachi being Thanos snapped, Min Min removed what was basically his biggest barrier of entry - the possibility of a limb-based moveset in Smash.

So now we have:
  • Sakurai works/is friends with Harada
  • Sakurai has namedropped Heihachi as a big Bamco contender
  • Tekken is the second biggest fighting game besides Smash
  • Heihachi has appeared as a costume TWICE now
  • And finally, we know for a fact that the moveset barrier Sakurai gave as a reason for not putting him in seems to be gone, or at least in its deathbed.
I'll be really surprised if Heihachi doesn't make it in the next Smash game some years from now.

I’ll propose this; List 10 Characters you think we could potential see as Fighters for the remainder of this Fighter’s Pass. There’s only 5 left so you get double the chance to guess correctly.

I’ll start.
1. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
2. Generation VIII Pokémon
3. Euden
4. Paper Mario
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Tales of Character
7. KOS-MOS (Namco puts her in a lot of crossovers.)
8. Akira (Astral Chain)
9. Sora
10. Geno
  1. A Xenoblade Spirit promotion
  2. Tales character
  3. Sora
  4. A League of Legends character
  5. Dante
  6. Phoenix Wright
  7. 2B
  8. Professor Layton
  9. Steve
  10. Crash

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only first-parties that I'm feeling really good about are XC2, SwSh, and for now, Paper Mario. If they're looking for another character from a newer game like they were with Corrin and Byleth, then a BotW 2 rep would be my guess.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gotta be honest here - despite Heihachi being Thanos snapped, Min Min removed what was basically his biggest barrier of entry - the possibility of a limb-based moveset in Smash.

So now we have:
  • Sakurai works/is friends with Harada
  • Sakurai has namedropped Heihachi as a big Bamco contender
  • Tekken is the second biggest fighting game besides Smash
  • Heihachi has appeared as a costume TWICE now
  • And finally, we know for a fact that the moveset barrier Sakurai gave as a reason for not putting him in seems to be gone, or at least in its deathbed.
I'll be really surprised if Heihachi doesn't make it in the next Smash game some years from now.

1. A Xenoblade Spirit promotion
  2. Tales character
  3. Sora
  4. A League of Legends character
  5. Dante
  6. Phoenix Wright
  7. 2B
  8. Professor Layton
  9. Steve
  10. Crash
I mean.

ARMS attack buttons: 2
Smash attack buttons: 2
Tekken attack buttons: 4

The limb system is for punches AND kicks in Tekken

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh

I guess that means LoL Rumor is officially dead now since it said Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter would be shown with FP6. There was no PreMiium costume this time around.
It actually didn't say it be shown with FP6

AAcYEnAAAXvY.jpg

Just said it was coming and was greenlit

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, the worst part about Heihachi getting Disconfirmed today was that Min Min practically ended up with a major mechanic that could have worked well for him. A super technical Heihachi would have been a unique marriage between Terry and Min Min, but maybe Sakurai didn't think he could still do Tekken justice, or maybe Nintendo had no interest in Tekken at this point... (Which, as much as I love Terry now, I find it hard to believe they would actively want KOF/Fatal Fury, but also actively NOT want Tekken...).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As far as Mii costume characters go, I don't think anyone benefited from Heihachi returning.

With the exception of Hero, every character bundle has had a returning Mii costume. We have five more characters, and there are five more third-party franchises with missing costumes (SMRPG, Tales of, Monster Hunter, FF, Babylonian Castle). They could randomly return at any time.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh

I guess that means LoL Rumor is officially dead now since it said Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter would be shown with FP6. There was no PreMiium costume this time around.
Is it? I was under the impression the Knight would come with LoL, though maybe I remember it wrong.
It actually didn't say it be shown with FP6

View attachment 275779

Just said it was coming and was greenlit
EDIT: Yeah, didn't think it specified.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I know a lot of Spring Man fans didn't like how they treated our boy but I think it saved him culturally. People who didn't care at all about Spring Man are now sympathetic to him. If they just had Min Min show up in some fighting arena and beat up some Smash characters like Ken and Incineroar, Spring Man may have faded away. But now? People seem to notice him.

The underdogs who get shafted certainly get quite the following.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I know a lot of Spring Man fans didn't like how they treated our boy but I think it saved him culturally. People who didn't care at all about Spring Man are now sympathetic to him. If they just had Min Min show up in some fighting arena and beat up some Smash characters like Ken and Incineroar, Spring Man may have faded away. But now? People seem to notice him.
They better give him his Rocky 2 redemption arc in the sequel. He lost, now it's time for his training arc to victory.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, the ARMS leadup as a whole has some necessary evils, so to speak. We had to wait a while, but if they just dropped them then and there, everyone would go "Who's this supposed to be?" By dragging it out with a guessing game and giving out a free ARMS trial, people got into ARMS and became invested in the characters. Spring Man's become the new Chrom, but now people are sympathetic and remember him. By doing that, his popularity's gonna increase.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Trolling

Nah, I'm relishing in his humiliation. I know a good couple of people who are doing so as well.

You gotta admit it was pretty funny.

Shroob

Sup?
I think the presentation was great TBH.

I never had much stake in the ARMs race(heh), but Min Min looks wonderful.... I wish I could play her NOW, but I can live a week.

Some things to note:

1# RIP to Heihachi, Spirits may not de-confirm, but I'd hard wager that Paid Mii Costumes do.

2# Can people please finally put Cacomallow to bed? **** was fake as ****, and now with Vault Boy here, I highly doubt we're getting 2 waves of Bethesda

3#

Welp, guess that's a thing...

View attachment 275714

As someone who grew up with Kinnikuman, I was pointing to the screen shouting "I GOT THAT REFERENCE!" soo damn hard.

Shroob

Sup?
Also, ****ing Irman lol.

****** out here being like:

"Eh, maybe the first character won't be cool, it'll be a mainly 1st party pass..."

And all that series of tweets was was a coded message that spelled out "M I N M I N."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People really sleep on Ninjara because the vocal online part of the fanbase doesn't seem to care about him much, but he is one of, if not the most popular character by numbers alone. He was the most played character, and apparently the choice behind Min Min. He was also the one to get the costume (though obv Spring-Man and Ribbon Girl already have their own). He seems to be pretty big with the silent majority. I don't much go for him but ninjas are cool and chains are cool, so I guess I get it.

ARMS won't get another character this time around, but when it does, I think Ninjara will give the other characters within the series decent competition, and could blindside people if they keep overlooking his popularity. I do think he will be a prominent character within the future spotlight of the series.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I think the presentation was great TBH.

2# Can people please finally put Cacomallow to bed? **** was fake as ****, and now with Vault Boy here, I highly doubt we're getting 2 waves of Bethesda
Knowing how insistent some Cacomallow supporters can be, if anything this will unfortunately strengthen their resolve.

7NATOR

Smash Master
On the Topic of Ninjara, Sakurai seems to be a fan of Ninjas. I understand that Nintendo is picking the DLC, but perhaps Sakurai's Love for Ninjas might come to fruition in of these FP2 Characters (characters like Ryu Hayabusa or Scorpion)

Just a Conspiracy, but yes

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeah, TBH I'd say Bethesda's out. Would be super weird to get Vault Boy now and not later with an actual Bethesda fighter.

As for the topic I've seen today on first parties, I personally wouldn't bet on ARMS being the only first party this pass. I could see us having a repeat of Smash 4's DLC cycle and we get first parties mixed in with 3rd parties, but I definitely don't think ARMS is gonna be the only Nintendo franchise getting love in fighters pass 2.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, TBH I'd say Bethesda's out. Would be super weird to get Vault Boy now and not later with an actual Bethesda fighter.

As for the topic I've seen today on first parties, I personally wouldn't bet on ARMS being the only first party this pass. I could see us having a repeat of Smash 4's DLC cycle and we get first parties mixed in with 3rd parties, but I definitely don't think ARMS is gonna be the only Nintendo franchise getting love in fighters pass 2.
I'd put 100 bucks down on Gen 8

And I'd put another 100 bucks down on the stage looking nicer graphically than Gen 8 does.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So, the conversation came up in one of my Discords and I wanna get a consensus here too.

Obviously, base Spirits are no longer a death sentence. But what do y'all think about the DLC spirits, like Resident Evil and Astral Chain? Personally, I still feel like there's a chance those are deconfirmations.

Base Spirits are fair game because they weren't made with FP Vol. 2 in mind, since the second wave of DLC was outside the initial project plan. But the DLC Spirits WERE made with FP Vol. 2 in mind, so I feel like they're a different ballgame.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wonder how long it will be before we get another announcement/reveal?

I’m going to say put Rex & Pyra back on the table, and I am more confident than ever that we are probably going to get a Gen. VIII Pokémon.

I still think Namco deserves another character though, but maybe they are just content with Pac-Man.

I’ll propose this; List 10 Characters you think we could potential see as Fighters for the remainder of this Fighter’s Pass. There’s only 5 left so you get double the chance to guess correctly.

I’ll start.
1. Rex & Pyra/Mythra
2. Generation VIII Pokémon
3. Euden
4. Paper Mario
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Tales of Character
7. KOS-MOS (Namco puts her in a lot of crossovers.)
8. Akira (Astral Chain)
9. Sora
10. Geno
I still think that my initial prediction character might happen, nothings really have change for them. So
1. Dante
2. Arle
3. 2B
4. Steve
5. Hayabusa
6. Travis Touchdown

I'm adding those 4 to make it to 10:
7. Urshifu
8. Phoenix Wright
9. Crash Bandicoot
10. Monokuma

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also, if we're makin' first party bets, I'm sayin' Xenoblade 2 is back on the table. It was one of the two franchises specifically mentioned as "I wanted to add them, but I couldn't because of timing", the other one being ARMS.

So I feel good about Rex's chances.

MooMew64

I'd put 100 bucks down on Gen 8

And I'd put another 100 bucks down on the stage looking nicer graphically than Gen 8 does.
At this point I'd be floored if Gen 8 doesn't get a rep. Makes too much sense at this point. My bias is banking on Cinderace but I could see them trying to pull another Lucario with Toxtricity.

Also, speaking as a Gen 8 fan: Yeah, anything we'd get in this scenario would look 10x better than the actual game it comes from, lol.

Also, if we're makin' first party bets, I'm sayin' Xenoblade 2 is back on the table. It was one of the two franchises specifically mentioned as "I wanted to add them, but I couldn't because of timing", the other one being ARMS.

So I feel good about Rex's chances.
Rex seems like a pretty safe bet at this point for another first party, would make sense timing wise give Xenoblade Chronicles Remastered.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So do we have confirmation that Min Min's spirit battle changed from Corrin to her? Because Sakurai was talking about spirit battle changes only in the context of Mii costumes in that presentation.

Shroob

Sup?
So do we have confirmation that Min Min's spirit battle changed from Corrin to her? Because Sakurai was talking about spirit battle changes only in the context of Mii costumes in that presentation.
No clue. I feel like it's reasonable to assume that if you download Min Min it'll change, but we dunno.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We won't know till the 29th.

It'd be pretty logical, though. A lot of characters use themselves for a Spirit Fight.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
When do you guys suspect we could see FP7? Given the presentation was recorded on May, I'm gonna presume sometime in August.

Or tinfoil hat theory. July 7th with Geno to coincide with 77.

More likely seeing August though.

MooMew64

I'm really curious to see how they handle the Min Min spirit. Do you just get a copy of the WoL one, or do you get a new one? Will the fight with her old one change if it's the old one? So many questions.

...Actually, I gotta go back and finish WoL. I love the mode to death, but I have a bad habit of just fighting CPUs in the base versus mode, lol. Gotta start playing other parts of this game more.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
IMO, if a character is made a spirit post-release, they are far less likely to be promoted later. If the point of spirits is to include some manner of representation, even if it can be overturned later, then any spirits released during dlc are included because they will not be playable dlc.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No clue. I feel like it's reasonable to assume that if you download Min Min it'll change, but we dunno.
On the spirit board at least, yeah

But what about in WoL? I’ve been suggesting a straight up Awakening battle replacement if you own her

SharkLord

Smash Hero
\
So, the conversation came up in one of my Discords and I wanna get a consensus here too.

Obviously, base Spirits are no longer a death sentence. But what do y'all think about the DLC spirits, like Resident Evil and Astral Chain? Personally, I still feel like there's a chance those are deconfirmations.

Base Spirits are fair game because they weren't made with FP Vol. 2 in mind, since the second wave of DLC was outside the initial project plan. But the DLC Spirits WERE made with FP Vol. 2 in mind, so I feel like they're a different ballgame.
Don't know enough about Resident Evil to say who else it would be, but Astral Chain's out, sadly. We got the Legionis' and their Legions, Kyle, and Lappy, and if not any of those I don't know who else it would be. I guess the most relevant not Spirited would be Jena, but unless Takahisa Taura has a soft spot for her, I don't really see her working out, especially considering what happens later down the line.

On the spirit board at least, yeah

But what about in WoL? I’ve been suggesting a straight up Awakening battle replacement if you own her
But what happens to her Spirit? I guess she could give you that when you beat her and the Fighter Spirit after Classic Mode, but nobody's been able to equip themselves in their main incarnation, i.e. King K.Rool can equip Kaptain K.Rool and Baron K.Roolstein, but not his usual self. I suppose you get Bowser alongside the Giga Bowser Spirit, but it's still an awkward situation.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Speaking of Min Min, I doubt it'll happen, but a fun theory I saw once (I think it was on this site, even) is that maybe her Spirit battle in World of Light could be changed to a fighter awakening battle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of Min Min, I doubt it'll happen, but a fun theory I saw once (I think it was on this site, even) is that maybe her Spirit battle in World of Light could be changed to a fighter awakening battle.
Yes hi that was me suggesting it

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually though I have to Present something to you guys

Squid Sisters
Tails
Zero
Akira
Iori
Ryo

These are the 6 Characters (to my knowledge) that have DLC Mii Costumes and also Spirit Battles. If Sakurai is talking about changing Spirit Battles depending on Costumes and stuff like with Cuphead, i think we should pay attention to these Spirit Battles

If for some reason there's some that are updated, and others that are not, that could be a sign of either that character, or a character related to them being in DLC

Edit: Also Rex apparently also has Spirit Battle, so that too

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Can people please finally put Cacomallow to bed? **** was fake as ****, and now with Vault Boy here, I highly doubt we're getting 2 waves of Bethesda
The Cuphead fighter costume was revealed a whole 2 directs after Banjo's direct. Yeah, Cuphead isn't TECHNICALLY a Microsoft IP, but Microsoft seems to be spearheading all outside partnerships involving the franchise. Team MDHR went on record to say that the entire reason Cuphead ever even came to the Switch was because Microsoft approached them and said "hey, let's bring Cuphead to the Switch."

Based on your logic, Banjo and Cuphead should've been revealed together. I'm not so quick to write of Cacomallow based on this logic alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom