• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Misango always looked the coolest to me out of all the ARMS characters. If for some reason it’s him, I’ll buy the pass lol.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Hoping for Min-Min or Max Smile, but I don't really have a strong preference on whoever does get in. The music + gameplay excites me the most.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I did a bet a while back regarding Terry getting into Smash, so with the ARMS character being revealed in less than 8 hours I'm gonna do an ARMS bet as well. For the record I haven't played ARMS and have never claimed to be a #1 fan or anything like that. With that said:

If Ribbon Girl becomes playable in Smash I will purchase ARMS, complete the 500 rounds Ribbon Girl challenge, and reach a high online rank with only her.

Playing the origin games of characters I'd like to see in Smash is something I always try to do, and since the odds may be stacked against Ribbon Girl (because of Spring Man and Min Min seeming more likely) I'm willing to do all of this if she gets in.
Just going to add this to my multi-quote before I forget.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm probably looking more forward towards the music than whoever the character is, I felt it was quite a shame that there was no ARMS songs in the base game since I enjoyed them quite a bit. Glad that will be rectified very soon.

But good luck for whichever ARMS characters you guys are rooting for.

Shroob

Sup?
I have no real investment in who the ARMs character is.

Or the whole "The pass will be mainly 1st party!" "No that's boring!" debate.

....Or just ARMs in general.

What matters to me is simply, my favorite video game, perhaps of all time, is not only getting new content, but an entirely new world added to it(Technically).

New content is always good, and I'll be here til the final balance patch drops, and be playing the hell out of Ultimate for years to come.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'm gonna say that regardless of who the ARMS fighter is, I'm happy that in the end Nintendo opted for a livestream instead of a shadowdrop.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ya know I generally think the "what your character says about your" format has the potential to become really mean spirited, but I think there's ways to do it. I'm not that familiar with ARMS but here's what I could come up with.

Ribbon Girl - You probably like J-pop, even though you probably can't understand the lyrics.
What are you taling about? These lyrics speak to me on a deep level.

I.D.

Smash Lord
This feels bad for anyone who was hoping for Euden or a Dragalia Lost rep in general
This was hardly a surprise. None of their mobile games have performed particularly well (Dragalia Lost in particular dramatically underperformed despite what some people say) and even Fire Emblem Heroes has lost a lot of steam from year to year, especially compared to more stable gacha games like Granblue.

Shroob

Sup?
This was hardly a surprise. None of their mobile games have performed particularly well (Dragalia Lost in particular dramatically underperformed despite what some people say) and even Fire Emblem Heroes has lost a lot of steam from year to year, especially compared to more stable gacha games like Granblue.
I still don't like calling Granblue a 'mobile' game. It's playable on a phone yes, but the phone app is dreadful. The game was always meant to be played on a browser(Which, is where a majority of people pay from, looking at the phone sales, the game is usually relatively low).

SKX31

Smash Master
This feels bad for anyone who was hoping for Euden or a Dragalia Lost rep in general
Not surprised really. The mobile industry is really saturated and extremely difficult to make headway if one isn't already established. Top performing apps such as Monster Strike, Arena of Valor / Honor of Kings and Knives Out* can really dominate the mobile space and leave room for very few competitors.

*(mobile Fortnite made by NetEase, so popular in Japan it helped make NetEase the first Chinese company to top the Japanese iOS charts)

I did a bet a while back regarding Terry getting into Smash, so with the ARMS character being revealed in less than 8 hours I'm gonna do an ARMS bet as well. For the record I haven't played ARMS and have never claimed to be a #1 fan or anything like that. With that said:

If Ribbon Girl becomes playable in Smash I will purchase ARMS, complete the 500 rounds Ribbon Girl challenge, and reach a high online rank with only her.

Playing the origin games of characters I'd like to see in Smash is something I always try to do, and since the odds may be stacked against Ribbon Girl (because of Spring Man and Min Min seeming more likely) I'm willing to do all of this if she gets in.
Will you extend (heh) the ARMS bet to other characters too? Kinda curious to see how the challenge would change as someone who's never played ARMS.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not surprised really. The mobile industry is really saturated and extremely difficult to make headway if one isn't already established. Top performing apps such as Monster Strike, Arena of Valor / Honor of Kings and Knives Out* can really dominate the mobile space and leave room for very few competitors.

*(mobile Fortnite made by NetEase, so popular in Japan it helped make NetEase the first Chinese company to top the Japanese iOS charts)

Will you extend (heh) the ARMS bet to other characters too? Kinda curious to see how the challenge would change as someone who's never played ARMS.
I might do something similar if its Twintelle or Lola Pop (like buy ARMS and reach a certain rank) but for now I'm only gonna do all this if Ribbon Girl gets in.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well, today is the day. No true actual leaks as far as I can tell, which is fun!

Once again I'm placing my hopes in Dr. Coyle, though Max Brass, Twintelle, and Min-Min are all close seconds. Spring Man would be fine, and Ribbon Girl is cute with a fun stage so she's also fine. Anyone else would be strange but not bad.

More than anything I'm hoping that we get all the music! Especially Helix's theme!

As for costumes, I don't want it to happen but I'm fully prepared to have my heart broken by the return of the Heihachi Mii. I also think the Knight from Hollow Knight has a shot, too.

This is exciting.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Welp guys, this will be the last time I'll be able to talk to you all before the livestream today. Unfortunately I have to go to work soon which means I will have to wait until my lunch break to watch the presentation. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to not be spoiled. I guess I will have to load up Nintendo's channel, squint, and immediately press whatever video looks like the presentation.

Spring Man group rise up!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm going to expect something to happen that afterwards will make people go "That doesn't make any sense. Why would/n't they do that?"

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya know I generally think the "what your character says about your" format has the potential to become really mean spirited, but I think there's ways to do it. I'm not that familiar with ARMS but here's what I could come up with.

Springman - You probably have squeaky clean teeth.
Ribbon Girl - You probably like J-pop, even though you probably can't understand the lyrics.
Ninjara - You raided Area 51 and did, in fact, dodge the bullets.
Master Mummy - You like superheavies and think the idea of being able to kill at 60% sounds fun and balanced.
Min Min - You're a college student who doesn't have ton of money to spend on food.
Mechanica - Same as Master Mummy, but cuter.
Twintelle - You really like her large, luxurious twin tails.
Kid Cobra - *Snakeboards behind you* "Nothing personal, kid."
Barq and Byte - You want to pet the doggo, admit it.
Helix - You probably watched Flubber too many times as a kid.
Max Brass - Your ideal AMV is Max Brass to the song "Gaston".
Lola Pop - You probably didn't watch IT too many times as a kid.
Misango - You have an IQ of 3000, or at least you'd like to think you do. You also have an infinite supply of rare candies.
Springtron - YOU PROBABLY HAVE SQUEAKY CLEAN TEETH, BZZT.
Dr.Coyle - Punching Isabelle from halfway across the stage is okay as long as it's in the name of SCIENCE!
Biff - Truly a man or woman of culture, you have exquisite tastes.
This has no right to be as accurate/funny as it is. Good job.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The home s-t-r-e-t-c-h guys! While I've been a Min Min supporter, I feel like in the end Spring Man will be the fighter they go with, however I'd like to be wrong!

Either way, we'll be getting a new unique fighter for Smash finally. I also feel like the new fighter regardless who it is will be available, if not after the presentation, shortly after.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What are you taling about? These lyrics speak to me on a deep level.
When she says:

nana na na
nananana na na
nananana
nana nana na nana
nana nana
nana nana na
na
nana nana nana
na
nana nana na

I feel that.

Reminds me of that video on what every fighter tastes like.
"Ganondorf tastes like demon ham. Which is just spam."
"The Mii Fighters taste like whatever you taste like. Give yourself a lick and find out!"

I.D.

Smash Lord
I think I'll just go with my initial gut feeling and say it will be Min Min.

Groose

Smash Champion
My guess for today is Ribbon Girl. They do tend to adhere to the mascots, and they'd have more ARMS content in the game by making her playable and keeping Spring Man as an assist.

I'd be pretty happy with her, Spring Man, Min Min, or Twintelle, though. There are things I like and dislike about each of them, but I'm chill with any of the frontrunners. Dr. Coyle is definitely the one I want most, but her odds are a pittance.

EDIT: I also want to note that Ninjara has a very real chance. He was always one of the popular ones, but no one talks about him. I don't particularly want him, though...

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I just wanna throw this out there in case it's Biff and they try to play it off as "No-one expected Biff!"

-I- expected Biff. And only because I expect them to think that I wouldn't. We all saw him on that character screen with the other ARMS Fighters.

It definitely ain't gonna be Byte & Barq, Kid Cobra, Lola Pop, Master Mummy, Mechanica, Misango or Springtron. The other 8? Fair game. Hell, it might even be all 8 of them. Summoned by Biff, making Joker look like an actual joker clown. But it won't be the other 7.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think I'll just go with my initial gut feeling and say it will be Min Min.
I think that's your gut telling you it's time for noodles.

SKX31

Smash Master
The home s-t-r-e-t-c-h guys! While I've been a Min Min supporter, I feel like in the end Spring Man will be the fighter they go with, however I'd like to be wrong!

Either way, we'll be getting a new unique fighter for Smash finally. I also feel like the new fighter regardless who it is will be available, if not after the presentation, shortly after.
I'm also really excited for it, no matter who it is. I'm gonna take a total shot in the dark now and guess its perks and weaknesses:

+ Good at stage control because of its long reach and at least good grabs. Gives the character good keep-away options, especially if the character has a projectile. Might even have a good time walling out characters with poor approaches such as :ultkrool: and :ultrobin:.
+ Decent to good recovery most likely. Depends heavily on the character's air speed (how fast (s)he moves horizontally) but this combined with at least medium weight means the ARMS character should be able to consistently survive to 120-140 % horizontally.
+ Likely has decent-to-good out of shield options and able to turn tables beyond grabs. The tilts are the most likely out of shield options since they tend to be relatively fast (see Byleth).

- Likely poor in disadvantage (when hit). Whether the ARMS themselves are a hurtbox or not, the character will most likely be easy to juggle / combo food due to being at least somewhat tall and a somewhat large body. Might also render the ARMS character susceptible to vertical KOs.
- Frame data will most likely be an issue to compensate for the great reach - the :ulthero: / :ultbyleth: problem. Aka. if the character misses an attack there will often be a window to punish.
- Might not have many ways to convert initial hits into follow up / combos - I'm assuming the long reach and at least decent knockback does this. Meaning that in order to follow up the ARMS character will have to further approach and take another read or something else, possibly giving up vital stage control that the ARMS character most likely thrives on.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
It's the calm before the storm, right before we learn who the heck FP6 is. I'm still betting on Spring Man getting in, though I'd alright if it was Min Min. Just one last question before oblivion however. How do you think they'll group the new ARMS spirits? Will they be all the way down on the list, or be grouped where the original spirits were?

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
It's the calm before the storm, right before we learn who the heck FP6 is. I'm still betting on Spring Man getting in, though I'd alright if it was Min Min. Just one last question before oblivion however. How do you think they'll group the new ARMS spirits? Will they be all the way down on the list, or be grouped where the original spirits were?
They've never grouped new spirits with others from their series, so I doubt they'd do it now.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I'm expecting the AT or Spirits precedent to be broken today, but if it isn't you have to imagine that lends a lot of credence to those fan theories.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I don't know if thread bets are allowed, but as this thread resident anti AT / Spirit upgrade person

To everyone who likes this post, if the AT OR Spirit rules gets broken today, I will not only admit I was wrong, but I will draw the people who liked it a personal traditional drawing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom