• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Here's My 8th question
witch mode do you want to return first(when it come to dlc).

1:Home run contest
or
2:break the targets
Break the targets!

Nothing much else to say, I really enjoy this mode, and I especially enjoyed it in Brawl where all characters shared the same stage. This way I can compare my prowess with them all in more ways than just fighting.

(Crate smash, blast target, and especially smash run are other modes I would love to return before HRC).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Here's My 8th question

or
Break the Targets. Loved the Brawl version but individual BTTs would bring more content. Would still expect Brawl BTT because there's 80 characters so that's quite some work.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't remember exactly where I hear this statement. It might have from one of Billybo10K's discussion videos which would hurt my previous statement. I know he has some bad opinions (COUGH) ARTORIAS (COUGH) STEVE (COUGH), but at least he provides good supplemental material to ponder on and he does listen to his audience when they call him out from what I've seen.
I don’t remember anything about Toby Fox being against his characters’ inclusion in Smash, but I guess it could’ve been something people missed. We need a source for this, though.

And no opinions are bad, please don’t hurt the cool knight dude or my blocky son.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Here's My 8th question

or
Add Home Run Contest first so Sora Ltd can spend more time making the perfect break the target.
1) Joker - Stage Creator
2) Hero - Home Run Contest
3) Banjo and Kazooie - Break the target/ Board the Platforms
4) DLC #4 - Boss Battle mode
5) DLC #5 - New World of light content and "True All-Star" (the original all star format for all 75 characters + Echoes)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here's My 8th question

or
Break the Targets. Don’t care if it’s unique to each character or more similar to the Brawl approach. Just give it back without it being that dumb Angry Birds thing from Smash 4. Seriously who played that other than to beat challenges?

My issue, or rather my worry, with Leon is that he could end up being a hybrid of Snake (for his movement and explosives) and Joker (for his gun and knife.) This was my same concern with Hero as I thought he would be a Link and Robin hybrid. I was half right in that regard as he looks like a hybrid of Robin (for his magic and durability/MP gauge) and Mii Swordfighter (for their sword and custom moves.) The only thing the Hero got from Link was the shield.
Hero has Link’s dash attack and basic movements I think. I also find it funny that all of Hero’s default specials are the same as Robin (or I’m assuming they might be based on the trailer). Hero was shown with an electric projectile, fire projectile, and a wind based recovery. Pretty sure those 3 will be mapped to the same inputs as Robin’s.

In conclusion, Hero was a really disappointing and underwhelming choice for me personally, made further disappointing that he was leaked beforehand and is a hybrid of things we already have, at least for his default kit.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Shantae window is a nod to the series. That's it.
Just because you try hard Wayforward, doesn't mean Shantae will make it into battle!
Add Home Run Contest first so Sora Ltd can spend more time making the perfect break the target.
1) Joker - Stage Creator
2) Hero - Home Run Contest
3) Banjo and Kazooie - Break the target/ Board the Platforms
4) DLC #4 - Boss Battle mode
5) DLC #5 - New World of light content and "True All-Star" (the original all star format for all 75 characters + Echoes)
IDK if they'll go back on their decision to make an All-Star with literally 80 characters per run, unless you'd want it to still be quite similar to Mob Smash? But I would like another mode like Classic/All-Star and it'd honestly be a wasted opportunity if they didn't do a Boss Rush like in Brawl (maybe with the Classic mode mural thing alongside that Master Hand thing as the penultimate mini game!)
In terms of another mode, a new Smash Run but with like KO-able Assist Trophies and Ditto, maybe some old enemies from the original depending on the ease in porting them over, would be pretty sick. Though I don't know if Switch limitations will prevent stuff like interaction with other players on the map or local multiplayer splitscreen or not?
In conclusion, Hero was a really disappointing and underwhelming choice for me personally, made further disappointing that he was leaked beforehand and is a hybrid of things we already have, at least for his default kit.
IDK if it's fair to hate a character because non-Nintendo ended up leaking them prior...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
IDK if it's fair to hate a character because non-Nintendo ended up leaking them prior...
Fair enough but I never said I hated the character. Just that it was overall a disappointment, mostly because the base kit looks similar to things we already have and because I’m not familiar with DQ at all so I don’t have any notion to actually be excited for him.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Break the Targets is utterly pointless without character specific stages, and that's not exactly easy to pull off due to there being over 70 characters.

The best way to bring it back at this point is to make it apart of the Stage Builder. People have already made a bunch of obstacle courses specifically build certain characters and they basically are the old Target/Platform courses of old, just without the targets or platforms.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I don't remember exactly where I hear this statement. It might have from one of Billybo10K's discussion videos which would hurt my previous statement. I know he has some bad opinions (COUGH) ARTORIAS (COUGH) STEVE (COUGH), but at least he provides good supplemental material to ponder on and he does listen to his audience when they call him out from what I've seen.
I don't watch many of his videos, so I can't say much on whether that source is reputable or not. I couldn't find anything through my own research, so that's why I have my doubts. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Toby did take this stance given how protective he is of his games in terms of spoilers.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Y'know, I've been wondering what it would be like if a Warframe (probably Excalibur) was DLC if only because a remix of "This is What You Are" would be pretty interesting

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Individual Break the Targets > General Break the Targets > Home-Run Contest > Angry Birds Targets

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Y'know, I've been wondering what it would be like if a Warframe (probably Excalibur) was DLC if only because a remix of "This is What You Are" would be pretty interesting
I'm imagining Joker, but as a sword character, and instead of a comeback mechanic, it has an MP system, and it's dash attack allows it to zoom across the stage.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For me;

Board The Platforms > Individual Break The Targets(Pichu's aside, that goes into bottom tier) and Grab The Trophies > Angry Brids Targets(3DS) > Generic Break The Targets > Angry Birds Targets(Wii U) > Home Run Contest > Coin Launcher > Break The Pichu

I like all versions of Race To The Finish, though the order for me is 64 > Ultimate > Melee. Melee's just feels too long and kind of boring compared to the others, which are filled with life. One thing I like to do, via a Gameshark/etc. is have infinite time on 64's RTTF, or even use it as a full stage. It gets crazy how far characters get sent flying and is loads of fun. I think the only downside to the stage at best(besides Master Hand unable to function at all on it) is the lack of items. I forget if that was a thing. It's been a while. I also can sometimes just watch enemies play on it via my emulated version, and it's just hilarious(unfortunately, they're terrible at trying to recover, so it stalls sometimes. Thankfully Giant DK is a nice choice to keep everyone in the fray).

Damn, I forgot a lot of modes. Most of these were Classic Mode, but I did enjoy Smash Tour(just needs more ways to control your choices), Smash Run was fun, Event Matches were fairly good in Melee and Brawl, but I found 4's kind of eh at times. Master/Crazy Orders was neat, though. I've enjoyed all variations of Adventure Mode(Smash Run I'm counting as a bit more of a side thing, as it's clearly based around a similar idea, but isn't meant to be basically a Story Mode like the Adventure, SSE, and WoL are. Not to say Melee's is a "good" story, but it's still there). While I'm at it, I liked All-Star the most in Melee. Brawl's wasn't bad, just not random enough. 4's got too long and annoying for me to want to complete it. Even Brawl's had more breaks between the fights, as unbalanced as it is. It'd take a long time to explain Classic and which ones I liked/disliked. >.<

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Board The Platforms > all of that

It gets points for being tailored to each character, but more often than not it was fairly linear and focused almost entirely on jumping/recovery. Break the Targets, at least the individual ones, made you use a lot more of your kit while figuring out the best order.

D

Deleted member

I just enjoy all the modes I am given.

And even if I disliked how they made some Smash Tour unlockables work in Smash 4, the mode did feel neat with other people playing at home.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
For me, all of the single-player modes in Smash have just been little distractions that I play for a few minutes with no regularity whatsoever. I bet I've gone a year or more without playing any of them.
Sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't care if Break the Targets, Homerun Contest, or any of those modes return.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Board The Platforms > all of that
I liked "Board the Platforms," but a few of the stages (Kirby's and Jigglypuff's in particular) are just plain MEAN.
Only Pikachu can beat both Kirby's and Jiglypuff's challenges and the former was tool assisted. Ness is the only other character that can Kirby's stage, but he also needed some aid to complete it. I'm sure the developers made the stage so hard because they knew of Kirby's amazing recovery.

D

Deleted member

For me, all of the single-player modes in Smash have just been little distractions that I play for a few minutes with no regularity whatsoever. I bet I've gone a year or more without playing any of them.
Sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't care if Break the Targets, Homerun Contest, or any of those modes return.

To me the only mode that holds a candle to Versus was Smash Run. It had what i wanted from Subspace, beating the **** out of Nintendo enemies. An expansion of that mode would have been the only mode that i would have played alongside Versus.

It gets points for being tailored to each character, but more often than not it was fairly linear and focused almost entirely on jumping/recovery.
*Little Mac mains Sweating nervously*

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is true, but some have potential.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Adventure Mode was my favorite, I remember spending hours running through those levels as different characters even after completing the story. The biggest issue with this mode is that it has to be treated as it's own game during development.

If Smash Run had a few more maps (maybe a total of five) and the ability to interact with each other it could be really good. It could be further improved with online multiplayer in theory, but in execution it would probably suck due to running at 5fps.

D

Deleted member

Here's My 8th question

or
Actually. I take back what I said.

Boss Rush mode. Add new bosses in to boot:
-Grunty
-Master Core
-Eggman
and...

wait for it.

-A Dark Souls boss

It's true Dark Souls deserves some form of recognition in Smash, and Bamco something else added in, but like with MH, it doesn't have to be with a character. A boss in fact would do a much better job of capturing the essence of what DaS is in Smash too. And Boss Rush mode from Brawl returning would be dope.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I believe shantaes window always looked like that so probably means nothing if not a little reference
Screenshot_20190706-235639_YouTube.jpg

Welp I looked for it and theres your damn smash ball it means nothing now go home no reference lol everyone just needs to play shantae if she comes she comes we know nothing

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I believe shantaes window always looked like that so probably means nothing if not a little reference
Welp I looked for it and theres your damn smash ball it means nothing now go home no reference lol everyone just needs to play shantae if she comes she comes we know nothing
I 100% just interpreted it as a cute reference to the fact that Shantae was in the Smash base game as a Spirit. They definitely made the decision to make not-symmetrical in the trailer, but I don't think it's anything more than that.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Break The Targets does come back, I hope it gets added into Classic mode.

I'm tired of doing that same boring race map with every character...

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Boring. At least it would not unlock any content from the game. For ghosts and gold I would not play it. I do not even play the actual AllStar Mode or Cruel Smash.

Banjo-Kazooie will be available Autumn 2019. I guess fighter 4 will be reveal at the TGS and a Japan Favorit, during the 5th fighter will be an Western Favorit or at least a fighter that want both.

D

Deleted member

Actually. I take back what I said.

-Grunty
-Master Core
-Eggman
and...

wait for it.

-A Dark Souls boss

It's true Dark Souls deserves some form of recognition in Smash, and Bamco something else added in, but like with MH, it doesn't have to be with a character. A boss in fact would do a much better job of capturing the essence of what DaS is in Smash too. And Boss Rush mode from Brawl returning would be dope.
I was going to question why would you put Eggman when Sonic fights Master Hand in Classic mode. Then i reminded myself that even after the Duck Hunt stage update for Smash 3DS you STILL unlock Duck Hunt on Battlefield, so this is actually possible.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Posted this in the Hero social thread:

The important part is the second paragraph:

"Check out the 25 tutorials and see you soon for a very special Let's Smash! (Who talked about the Hero?)"

Let's Smash being the name of this video series.

andree123

Smash Ace
Posted this in the Hero social thread:

The important part is the second paragraph:

"Check out the 25 tutorials and see you soon for a very special Let's Smash! (Who talked about the Hero?)"

Let's Smash being the name of this video series.
Why this tweet looks like a teaser for the Hero's release date?
EDIT: regulus tera made a post already, so I take his quote instead.
Also, ssbu is rumored to have maintenance in tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
-Grunty
-Master Core
-Eggman
and...

wait for it.

-A Dark Souls boss
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Giratina [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]

SKX31

Smash Master
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Giratina [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Which Wily Machine though? (Not going to ask which Death Egg Robot - the reaction to Forces's DER was "Meh!" at best)

Ender Dragon [Minecraft]
Risky Boots [Shantae] or Brevon [Freedom Planet]
Black Shadow riding the Black Bull [F-Zero]
Bald Bull / Mr. Sandman [Punch-Out]
Metal Face [Xenoblade]
Vergil [Devil May Cry] or M. Bison [Street Fighter]

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-1045#post-23431754

This user has Discord ties to the leaker Sabi, the one who leaked Banjo and other stuff in the past. Apparently Sabi said the upcoming DQ Hero fighter pass video (like the one Joker got in April right before he released) would be extremely unpopular. What do you think they could mean by this?
I don't doubt Sabi's source, so I assume they're speculating based on DQ getting a lack of content similar to Final Fantasy (though Hero at least has better alts).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-come-on-lets-get-this-show-on-the-road-geno-dlc.446378/page-1045#post-23431754

This user has Discord ties to the leaker Sabi, the one who leaked Banjo and other stuff in the past. Apparently Sabi said the upcoming DQ Hero fighter pass video (like the one Joker got in April right before he released) would be extremely unpopular. What do you think they could mean by this?
Best guess is that it would be treated similarly as the Final Fantasy content. So probably two song's again and very little, if any, spirits representation.

I would hope not, but its Square so who knows....

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't doubt Sabi's source, so I assume they're speculating based on DQ getting a lack of content similar to Final Fantasy (though Hero at least has better alts).
Hey, don't disrespect the Panasonic Flip-Phone* using Cloud alt!

Seriously though, I hope that that's not true, and DQ (and FF) gets more content than they currently have. As Curious Villager Curious Villager said, who knows though... *Sigh*

*(Yeah, I personally remember when Flip Phones were the rage and AC was new, youngings. Now get off mah lawn!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom