• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If Hero drops during my trip to Madrid, I better find a good place to use wifi and download Guv.

SKX31

Smash Master
So there's also a Banjo 30 second ad meaning the Hero ad might not mean much. But the last time when they uploaded the ad for Joker it was done the day before the character dropped.

I'd guess we might get something in the next week or two. Puts it exactly 3 months post Joker
I get the impression that they'll release Hero when the WoL expansion hinted at in his trailer is fully ready - given Dhakron appeared there. For all intents and purposes it looks like both Hero and Banjo are 90ish % done, they just might need some fine tuning etc. before release.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I get the impression that they'll release Hero when the WoL expansion hinted at in his trailer is fully ready - given Dhakron appeared there. For all intents and purposes it looks like both Hero and Banjo are 90ish % done, they just might need some fine tuning etc. before release.
Was that really a hint towards a World of Light expansion, though? They could have included Dharkon and the puppet fighters because the heroes of Dragon Quest generally fight the forces of darkness.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Was that really a hint towards a World of Light expansion, though? They could have included Dharkon and the puppet fighters because the heroes of Dragon Quest generally fight the forces of darkness.
While it's entirely possible for us to get some new single-player content I don't think we'll be getting a World of Light expansion until the last DLC fighter is released. If we get one at all that is.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'll freely admit that I jumped the gun there, that said I wouldn't count out the possibility. Dharkon did appear out of nowhere in WoL, and while we can only guess why that is I wouldn't be surprised if there's an actual want to flesh things out. I'd personally welcome such an attempt to expand Dharkon beyond just "dark Galeem".

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It’s probably just like... the ability to put the Galeem/Dharkon effects on any character you choose. I wouldn’t look into it too much

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Tales is generally regarded as one of the biggest RPGs around and Lloyd had his game in GameCube, making him very popular among core fanbase.

Even if he isn't the most popular character among Tales character, he got a Mii costume and Sakurai mentioned seeing him as the obvious choice from the series.
For one I recall its relatively very popular in Japan to the point I hear it has its own theme park.

Also Sakurai said something around the lines of how Lloyd represented GameCube of some sort. Can't exactly remember how it was said though.
The fact that he's been on Sakurai's radar before is interesting. Couldn't find anything on that theme park, mainly because there's an actual amusement park in the tales of symphonia game lol.

Still it seems weird to me that they would potentially chose 3 JRPG characters for Smash DLC.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The fact that he's been on Sakurai's radar before is interesting. Couldn't find anything on that theme park, mainly because there's an actual amusement park in the tales of symphonia game lol.

Still it seems weird to me that they would potentially chose 3 JRPG characters for Smash DLC.
We did get five JRPG characters as DLC in Smash 4 - Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Cloud, and Corrin. Ryu and Bayonetta were the only ones that didn't seem to fit that criteria.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We did get five JRPG characters as DLC in Smash 4 - Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Cloud, and Corrin. Ryu and Bayonetta were the only ones that didn't seem to fit that criteria.
However, three of them were returning veterans, and most of the fighters that were cut from Smash 4 were from JRPGs.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

same here, even with smash 4 dlc, 2 of the 5 jrpg characters(Cloud and Corrin) were newcomers while the other 3 were veterans(Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy)

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Here's a topic, what character(s) do you think the speculation scene is sleeping on?

IMO it's Billy and Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon. They were big NES starts, known in both America and Japan and represent a genre not yet represented by a playable character, the side scrolling beat-em-up.
This is probably my bias speaking but honestly? Geno. Sure it makes a lot of sense for the Geno Mii Costume to return, There's the problem of Spirits and if they disconfirm or not which so far it looks like they do, The Super unlikely scenario of two reps from the same company getting in as DLC upon a few more but other than that? There's no real reason to rule him out completely be it in the FP or the more likely scenario, As individual DLC. Allow me to give my take on these issues.

1) The Mii Costume? Yeah it's likely to return but there's already a slight precedence for not all of the Mii Costumes to return just look at the Mii Costumes Joker brought with him they were: Persona Mii Costumes and Sonic Mii Costumes yet they cut the Akira and Jacky Mii Costumes why? I have no clue but they did so they may cut some past Costumes from Square.

If I had to guess it may be to fit with what characters are already in the roster and which representatives are in the roster like we have and had Sonic in the roster for awhile so he gets some Mii Costumes to represent his franchise, We now get Persona costumes to represent Joker and the franchise he brings with him. Virtua Fighter does not have any representatives in the roster so they cut their Mii Costumes. Well if my hypothesis is true why don't we have Bayonetta Mii Costumes? Simply because we never had any Mii Costumes for the franchise and so Nintendo did not go out of their way to make some or they aren't finished yet and will be released later within the year like how Wii U had some random Mii Costumes thrown in there.

The point I'm trying to make is that we already have Cloud to represent the Final Fantasy franchise so we very well may get the Chocobo Mii Costume plus more FF Costumes along with him like Sephiroth, Tifa, Barret along with maybe some others like Black Mage or Tidus. The Mii Costumes would also be a good way to advertise the FF7 remake in this case Seph = Swordfighter, Tifa = Brawler, Barrett = Gunner. It represents the main characters from FF7 and also advertises the FF7 remake. And DQ would very obviously bring DQ Mii Costumes like a Slime hat, Maybe DQ1 Armour, Maybe some Mii Costumes for Side Characters or Fan Favorite characters from the games, Etc.

I personally think that makes sense but where does this leave us? What does this say about Geno? Well it really depends on how Nintendo and Sakurai sees Geno if they see him as a normal Mario Character? Sure yeah he's gonna get the Mii Costume treatment but if they see him as a representative of SMRPG Specifically? That's where it gets interesting he likely won't get a Mii Costume in that instance if my Hypothesis is correct and what do you know?:
they do see him as a representative of SMRPG Specifically stated by this here trailer.

So this problem is a coin flip but if my hypothesis is true, He won't get a Mii Costume.

2) Spirits: Yeah I won't deny the Spirit thing does make Geno look unlikely but it really was never stated anywhere that it would 100% disconfirm a character. Does it look less likely? Yes definitely but does it make him impossible? No I wouldn't think so. There are ways to work around the Geno being a Spirit thing.

One, They could use his true form/Spirit form as his fighter spirit which I wouldn't find out of place because they used sprites from games for Buzz Buzz which is a Normal Spirit and then they used the Ice Climber Sprites for the Ice Climbers' Fighter Spirit. Both of these spirits show that Spirits of Sprites from inside their game can be made into either a normal spirit or yes indeed a fighter Spirit. They could easily use his Spirit sprite as his Spirit.

Two, If there was to be a Spirit Upgraded who would make more sense than Geno who is a Spirit in his game? It would fit perfectly for that to happen. He is a Star Spirit in his very own game so it would make sense for him to be the one to be upgraded from Spirit to Fighter and his Trailer could revolve around this like how Hero's trailer took place in WoL. There's no real reason to think this but it's just an idea of ways to work around this.

And there are many many more ways to work around this but if he does get upgraded it makes a lot more sense to do it outside of the Fighters Pass.

3) The no two reps from the same company thing: This isn't even an official rule. It makes sense don't get me wrong but nowhere was it stated or has it been stated that there cannot be two reps from the same company in as DLC. It's yet another fan rule and Smash Ultimate has already broken those plenty of times.

If Sakurai asked for Geno or wanted Geno I doubt the "No two reps from the same company" rule would stop him from putting someone he wanted into Smash. It hasn't happened yet yes but that doesn't mean it won't happen just like the "Irrelevant Character" argument, "No Western Rep" argument, "No 3rd parties that don't have ties to Nintendo" argument, Etc. These are all fan rules that admittedly hasn't happened yet but that doesn't stop them from doing it in the future.

Even if it doesn't happen it doesn't mean it's a rule to not be able to put two characters from the same company in as DLC. Heck I'd go as far as to say Square would be the only one who would make sense for this to happen to as they adore DLC and whenever they do indeed do crossovers with other franchises and companies they're almost always in as DLC. It just makes sense that if any Company were to get two DLC characters it would be Square.

Of course all of these are unlikely but I wouldn't rule the character out just cause they seem unlikely. I think if Sakurai wants to go out with a Bang and take a long break the perfect way to do so is to finally add Geno into Smash as at this point his Legacy lies more with Smash than it does with Mario.

I just wouldn't call him done just yet.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
So, the Shantae 5 animated opening was recently revealed and fans have taken a keen notice of an image early within said opening (specifically at the 0:05 mark). Such a detail being considered as a potential hint regarding Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (i.e. Shantae in Smash) certainly could be considered as "reaching"; however one can never be too certain.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So, the Shantae 5 animated opening was recently revealed and fans have taken a keen notice of an image early within said opening (specifically at the 0:05 mark). Such a detail being considered as a potential hint regarding Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (i.e. Shantae in Smash) certainly could be considered as "reaching"; however one can never be too certain.

Being fair, a similar thing was spotted in the HD remaster of Professor Layton and the Curious Village HD which had an upside down looking silhuette of the Smash symbol in Katrielle's notebook.

I'd imagine its most likely either a coincidence or a fun little easter egg hidden by the dev's.
But you never know I guess...

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

I'm pretty sure it was intentional, though all it really shows it that WayForward wants Shantae in Smash which we already know.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord

yeah that's intentional. probably flipped it around to try to make it not obvious but i see what you are doing there wayforward.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dark Souls gets talked a lot on 4chan. Big fan of the series and I think it'd be cool in Smash, especially as a Namco rep. However, it suffers from the exact problem you mentioned (which is a similar problem Monster Hunter has, but to a lesser degree), that because you have player created characters, you can't exactly pin down an "iconic" character for the series. Especially since all 3 Souls game are rather loosely connected to each other, with no real recurring characters in any of them. Solaire could be argued to be the most "iconic" due to the online memes, but within the games, he's not ALL too significant really. Artorias is probably the most lore dense character, and probably the most significant within the franchise, and would have the most interesting moveset as well, being a boss character and all. But since you only ever see him in the DLC, he's not exactly iconic.

If I were to choose a Namco rep personally, I'd choose something from Dark Souls, either Chosen Undead (with skins for the Ashen one as a 2nd costume), or Artorias. I'd say the franchise most definitely deserves it when you judge its impact within the gaming industry, it deserves it far more than the other Bamco IP, at least imo. That said, imma ride the Mai + Doomguy boat till the end, even though it'll likely not go anywhere, but I just feel that would be the best way to close out the roster, with two very unexpected picks, both large gaming icons, and both from companies that are important to gaming as a whole. They would both also be very fun to play. Whereas I have my doubts on a Souls character really being all that fun. I think Monster Hunter would do the same thing a Souls character would, in terms of playstyle, being "slow and methodical" but would do it much better, as MH is far more over-the-top. Too bad the devs have already declared they don't want MH in fighting games (MvCI was done against their wishes).
Fair enough, I'm not too keyed into what 4chan goes on about regarding Smash. Last I heard they were talking a lot about Undertale and Doom Slayer. But them being bigger on Dark Souls than most doesn't surprise me.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
The cutscene itself never made me believe in anything regarding a WoL expansion, but the excessive use of "red aura, red eyes" made me think a bit.
They made a new effect just to apply on characters for the trailer? In the same discussion, however, as someone said, it could simply be an effected used for Spirit battles.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say it was intentional but not necessarily indicative.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Shantae window is a nod to the series. That's it.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Again, if licensing these characters is a big hassle, then I could see why there wouldn't be Musou representation. However, I don't really think that was ever the case when Koei-Tecmo put a couple of characters from both Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors in Warriors All Stars. Omega Force's version of these characters are far more of a video game character than Goku and Iron Man are.

On the topic of the story, I never really looked at story as a key factor for a character's inclusion unless the characters themselves are spoiler heavy. If that were the case, Pokemon Trainer would've been in Smash before Pikachu. I'd wager choosing which character to best represent Musou games wouldn't be too hard either and would go down to either Zhao Yun, Yukimura Sanada, or both of them with 1 being an Echo since they're considered to be the main heroes of their respective series.
My point mentioning story was to illustrate that Yukimura and Zhao Yun aren’t the main characters in the series, and the Characters who could be considered main characters don’t use fighting styles most people would associate with the musou games.

Also despite Yukimura and Zhao Yun both carrying pointy sticks (a trident and spear respectively), their fighting styles are not very similar really.

Thinking on Ayane further, I’m surprised I haven’t thought of her before. She’s easily recognizable and has been in just about every Tecmo game except for perhaps Tecmo bowl.

D

Deleted member

Thank you! Dunno why people keep being obsessed with the idea of the trailer meaning something more than a reveal for the DQ Heroes.

On a side note, I love having Link there as both series debuted on the same year plus both vanilla DQXI and BotW were released on the same year.

D

Deleted member

Fair enough, I'm not too keyed into what 4chan goes on about regarding Smash. Last I heard they were talking a lot about Undertale and Doom Slayer. But them being bigger on Dark Souls than most doesn't surprise me.
The Undertale character seems to just be spammed by this one specific guy mostly. Even though it’s anonymous, you can always kinda tell when it’s just one person bringing up a topic again and again to generate discussion, or when multiple people are in favor of something more organically.

The general discussion seemed to be “this guy on a discord predicted Frisk and Waluigi as DLC and he predicted the Banjo trailer” or something. But people called him out on it all being fabricated.

Undertale isn’t generally well liked on 4chan due to the Tumblr side of things, and even the people on there who like the game agree that Frisk and Sans wouldn’t be good characters nor do they deserve a spot on the roster.

The characters they seem to favor the most are Doomguy, Leon (Resident Evil), Ryu (Ninja Gaiden), Dante, Travis Touchdown, and to a lesser degree: Chosen Undead/Artorias, and Reimu from Touhou. With that last one being a character I could POSSIBLY see making it in as an unexpected pick, given the popularity of Touhou and Reimu specifically among Japanese Elementary School kids.

KillerCage

Smash Master
The Undertale character seems to just be spammed by this one specific guy mostly. Even though it’s anonymous, you can always kinda tell when it’s just one person bringing up a topic again and again to generate discussion, or when multiple people are in favor of something more organically.

The general discussion seemed to be “this guy on a discord predicted Frisk and Waluigi as DLC and he predicted the Banjo trailer” or something. But people called him out on it all being fabricated.

Undertale isn’t generally well liked on 4chan due to the Tumblr side of things, and even the people on there who like the game agree that Frisk and Sans wouldn’t be good characters nor do they deserve a spot on the roster.

The characters they seem to favor the most are Doomguy, Leon (Resident Evil), Ryu (Ninja Gaiden), Dante, Travis Touchdown, and to a lesser degree: Chosen Undead/Artorias, and Reimu from Touhou. With that last one being a character I could POSSIBLY see making it in as an unexpected pick, given the popularity of Touhou and Reimu specifically among Japanese Elementary School kids.
This guy lose his job as moderator on PapaGenos' Discord because of this "leak." I believe Toby Fox said at one point that his characters didn't fit in Smash. Aside from Leon, every character you mentioned I can see bringing something new or interesting to the series (Dante with his Devil Trigger, Travis with my Beam Katana, Doom Slayer with his gunplay, Ryu with his sword and ninja arts, the Chosen Undead with his various weapons, and Reimu with her spells and talismans.) Waluigi... I love you, but you have to wait until at least Smash 6.

D

Deleted member

This guy lose his job as moderator on PapaGenos' Discord because of this "leak." I believe Toby Fox said at one point that his characters didn't fit in Smash. Aside from Leon, every character you mentioned I can see bringing something new or interesting to the series (Dante with his Devil Trigger, Travis with my Beam Katana, Doom Slayer with his gunplay, Ryu with his sword and ninja arts, the Chosen Undead with his various weapons, and Reimu with her spells and talismans.) Waluigi... I love you, but you have to wait until at least Smash 6.
Dunno about you, but I think that Leon brings as much new things as some of the characters you mentioned. Survival horror is one of the most popular genres and RE is the biggest one, plus saying that Doomguy would bring something new with his gunplay but Leon apparently not given that you also have resource management with he RE games seems to downplay RE a lot.

D

Deleted member

I pretty much agree with you 100%. Just add Mai and Crash into the mix.

Chosen Undead
Travis Touchdown
Ryu Hayabusa
Doomguy
Dante
Mai Shiranui
Crash Bandicoot
Hakurei Reimu

All of these characters are characters with some degree of importance to gaming/Nintendo, and they would all have pretty cool and fun playstyles. I would be okay with pretty much any of them getting in. I personally choose Mai and Doomguy over the rest, but any one of them is more than fine.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Is there a source on the Toby Fox thing? I don't remember hearing anything about that and I feel like it would be a bigger talking point if Toby actually did say something. Granted I wouldn't be totally shocked if he's against the idea, but I'd rather wait and see before coming to conclusions.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
every character you mentioned I can see bringing something new or interesting to the series (Dante with his Devil Trigger,
I just wanna say, as a big fan of the Devil May Cry series; Dante is a lazy choice and doesn't bring anything new or interesting to smash.
Another Kamiya characters with a lot of similarities to Bayo, DT would work exactly like limit/arsene, half of his moveset might as well be borrowed from other fighters, and yes, he uses a variety of weapons and more complex moves, but so does Bayo, and I doubt Sakurai would even bother.
Just from the first game you can picture how his moveset could work, Stinger, Round trip are interesting moves nothing to make me want the character, I feel Dante lacks in uniqueness.
I say this again, I really like DMC, but the idea of Dante being in Smash is just boring.
maybe boring is not the right word, but there a better CAPCOM choices, Ace Attorney and Resident Evil are waaaay more interesting.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Dunno about you, but I think that Leon brings as much new things as some of the characters you mentioned. Survival horror is one of the most popular genres and RE is the biggest one, plus saying that Doomguy would bring something new with his gunplay but Leon apparently not given that you also have resource management with he RE games seems to downplay RE a lot.
Only if I'm allowed to suplex and roundhouse kick Donkey Kong with Leon

KillerCage

Smash Master
My issue, or rather my worry, with Leon is that he could end up being a hybrid of Snake (for his movement and explosives) and Joker (for his gun and knife.) This was my same concern with Hero as I thought he would be a Link and Robin hybrid. I was half right in that regard as he looks like a hybrid of Robin (for his magic and durability/MP gauge) and Mii Swordfighter (for their sword and custom moves.) The only thing the Hero got from Link was the shield.

D

Deleted member

Here's My 8th question
witch mode do you want to return first(when it come to dlc).

1:Home run contest
or
2:break the targets
Target Test with a unique stage for each character (like Melee), and a challenge creator that lets you upload custom tests online (basically a new feature for Stage Creator).

KillerCage

Smash Master
Is there a source on the Toby Fox thing? I don't remember hearing anything about that and I feel like it would be a bigger talking point if Toby actually did say something. Granted I wouldn't be totally shocked if he's against the idea, but I'd rather wait and see before coming to conclusions.
I don't remember exactly where I hear this statement. It might have from one of Billybo10K's discussion videos which would hurt my previous statement. I know he has some bad opinions (COUGH) ARTORIAS (COUGH) STEVE (COUGH), but at least he provides good supplemental material to ponder on and he does listen to his audience when they call him out from what I've seen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The more I really think about it the more I'm thinking the leak by Raysquad maybe true given he's been right with all the DLC characters so far.

Still won't deny the possibility of an RE rep being in though because at this point I think the final two DLC fighters can go both ways.

1. Lloyd Irving/RE rep (Jill or Leon)

or

2. Lloyd Irving/Crash Bandicoot

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The more I really think about it the more I'm thinking the leak by Raysquad maybe true given he's been right with all the DLC characters so far.

Still won't deny the possibility of an RE rep being in though because at this point I think the final two DLC fighters can go both ways.

1. Lloyd Irving/RE rep (Jill or Leon)

or

2. Lloyd Irving/Crash Bandicoot
Wait, Raysquad leak? This is the first I’ve ever heard of it

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77349973
He's a leaker from GameFaqs so far he's been right with the DLC characters including even:ultpiranha:

Really solid chance he maybe right...Its looking really solid at this point.
That post was made in Dec-Jan. So PP and Joker were already known.

Erdirck was a very common rumor at the time and it wasn't even fully right with Luminary being the primary skin. Banjo was a very popular request so it makes sense why he would be in a rumor like that.

This doesn't really have much going for it TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom