• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Honestly, since we got one character (in 4 different appearances from different Dragon Quest games) created by Akira Toriyama, I'm resting my hopes on either Android 17, Cooler, Goku, or Bardock. Hey, Dragon Ball has had their fair share of games created by Bandai Namco!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
What do you all think about a possible Harvest Moon character? It's one of the few big-name casual Japanese third-party series that a lot of people generally seem to know about.

The protagonist's moveset can be somewhat similar to Villager in that they're just an ordinary person, in this case a farmer, doing things that reference farm life and taking care of animals. Their smash attacks could use farming tools like pitchforks, and their special attacks could revolve around growing different crops that give you different perks / projectiles, like an expanded version of Villager's tree-growing down special.
Was this question at all related to the Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town remake announcement that just happened? The fact that that game is specifically getting remade for the Switch just reignited my fantasy of having Jack in Smash. I don't think it'll happen, but man oh man would that make me happy. And a little voice inside just has to wonder, what might the impetus for such a remake have been? The remake does very squarely cater to the nostalgia that the Switch seems to so carefully have nurtured for 90's kids. What if it coincides with a Smash reveal?

lmao okay I'm done fantasizing now. I just gave up on the idea so long ago, especially with everything that happened with Marvelous and Natsume. I just assumed it could never happen now. But we ARE getting a remake and that alone is hype. And like you say it is a long standing Japanese IP and especially one that appeals to different audiences than most characters in Smash... Okay for real I'm done now.

At this point, after Banjo, I think the only 3rd parties that would actually cause me to get super hype (as strange as that might be to many of you) are Jack and Bomberman. Sora would be a good one as well, but the first two would just be *chef's kiss*.

Still a little salty about the Bomberman AT, ngl. But at least he's here at all.

EDIT - I lied, Goemon would also be hype as hell. But I've also definitely given up on that one...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Honestly, since we got one character (in 4 different appearances from different Dragon Quest games) created by Akira Toriyama, I'm resting my hopes on either Android 17, Cooler, Goku, or Bardock. Hey, Dragon Ball has had their fair share of games created by Bandai Namco!
Sakurai literally said in his most recent book non-video game characters will not be in Smash and namedropped Goku.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Most likely would probably be either Cole Phelps (since we have LA Noire on Switch) or John Marston/Arthur Morgan. Also wow, I just realized Smash doesn't have a cowboy character yet.

I don't see Nintendo stepping towards GTA for obvious reasons, though if they did Trevor would probably be the most likely considering how big GTA V is. Personally I'd go for CJ or Niko (imagine fighting while Soviet Connection plays in the background).

Gotta say, Rockstar has a ton of amazing games that it genuinely surprises me there is little to no support for one of its characters to appear in Smash.
nice choices there, and if want my answer to my 4th question it's different Rockstar game but I think Jimmy Hopkins(Bully) is most likely Rockstar rep to get a smash invitation(one of the least violent Rockstar protagonists, one of the few Rockstar games that appears on a Nintendo console,)

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I've been...I guess arguing with a friend about that. Even without Sakurai's mentions, seeing Goku....just doesn't fit at all with Smash. Especially on top with Goku ISN'T a video game character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've been...I guess arguing with a friend about that. Even without Sakurai's mentions, seeing Goku....just doesn't fit at all with Smash. Especially on top with Goku ISN'T a video game character.
Except... being a non-video game character is really the only thing that makes him unable to fit in. Licensing is a different issue in itself. But not what you mean, since you're talking about a subjective thing.

He also is easy to sell to people. He's a cultural icon and extremely popular. He has his own set of fan demand too. He caters to the casual demographic, the main thing to sell to in Smash. They're the actual core fanbase.

Of course, it'll never happen any time soon, but that doesn't change the character has a lot of merits. Is there an actual reason why he doesn't fit in besides not being a video game character, really? Cause that does make him stick out like a sore thumb by all means. But beyond that, what else is supposedly something that makes him "not fit in". I mean, people wanting to keep it video game only makes sense. It's a video game fighting crossover game. Even Sakurai noted this as his goal, hence why licensing isn't the only reason to believe it'll never happen(which is the main reason he calls them impossible, if not the only actual reason).

D

Deleted member

The problem with most manga/anime characters is licensing from what I can think is that the rights from the series can be divided internationally across different companies, and also remember that there are game companies that might also have the rights to produce games from the series. Plus there's stuff like VA and unions that Nintendo seem to be avoiding so far. It just seems like a situation where a game like DQ where there are like 3-4 parties involved is just a non-issue.

Plus there could also be hesitation from Sakurai as to not wanting to go there in regards of characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai has at no point said he is interested in non-video game characters being in Smash. Not even a "it'd be neat" kind of thing. Straight up, games only.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem with most manga/anime characters is licensing from what I can think is that the rights from the series can be divided internationally across different companies, and also remember that there are game companies that might also have the rights to produce games from the series. Plus there's stuff like VA and unions that Nintendo seem to be avoiding so far. It just seems like a situation where a game like DQ where there are like 3-4 parties involved is just a non-issue.
Well, this falls under something different from the argument here; that's the "impossible" part due to licensing. It has nothing to do with "fitting in", which honestly, the thing that makes him not fit in is... being a non-game character. And that makes sense. People want it game-only. Can't blame 'em and all.

Plus there could also be hesitation from Sakurai as to not wanting to go there in regards of characters.
Indeed. Especially when you consider that people'll ask for requests that aren't generally going to happen. Various other characters. Goku is one of the few who has the cultural icon status that can be worth making an exception for, but it does legitimately open Pandora's Box. Not in the sense that tons of other non-game characters ever have a chance, but moreso he'll be bombarded by requests, and wants to avoid that. Especially since the licensing is difficult enough that it's easier to avoid the whole situation. Again, can't blame 'em.

Sakurai has at no point said he is interested in non-video game characters being in Smash. Not even a "it'd be neat" kind of thing. Straight up, games only.
Which is... irrelevant? Cause there's never been a case where he said he dislikes the idea either, which is one of the many silly arguments seen over and over again, that he hates the idea. We've never seen anything of the sort. He doesn't need to speak high praise of something for it to happen. It's a neutral stance of how personal opinion of them. There's actual good reasons to avoid it, and even remotely praising the idea despite being impossible just gets fanbases riled up as is. Even mentioning the idea sets people off despite it not even being a big issue to begin with. It's just a character in a game. The idea it'd create issues(beyond him being bombarded with requests at best) on some massive scale is really overblown.

It's why people should just support who they want while being realistic, and not really worry too much about who people like. It's not a big deal if they like characters who have no real chance anyway. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

StormC

Smash Hero
Which is... irrelevant? Cause there's never been a case where he said he dislikes the idea either, which is one of the many silly arguments seen over and over again, that he hates the idea. We've never seen anything of the sort. He doesn't need to speak high praise of something for it to happen. It's a neutral stance of how personal opinion of them. There's actual good reasons to avoid it, and even remotely praising the idea despite being impossible just gets fanbases riled up as is. Even mentioning the idea sets people off despite it not even being a big issue to begin with. It's just a character in a game. The idea it'd create issues(beyond him being bombarded with requests at best) on some massive scale is really overblown.

It's why people should just support who they want while being realistic, and not really worry too much about who people like. It's not a big deal if they like characters who have no real chance anyway. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Sakurai mocked the idea of putting Goku and SpongeBob in Smash. My point is there are unrealistic things, and then there's the literal impossible.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai mocked the idea of putting Goku and SpongeBob in Smash. My point is there are unrealistic things, and then there's the literal impossible.
Lighthearted laughing at things is pretty normal for him before adding the character. Just like he did for Ridley. Yeahhhh, no, I don't believe he actually hates the idea at all. That's his general response to many things. He doesn't take things that seriously as people thinks he does. Last thing he'll do in this situation is give a strong response, because he's trying to avoid a subject that he knows riles fanbases up. Besides, that link shows he wasn't even laughing at anyone but Segato Sanshiro and Yukawasen. What he said was a neutral "That's impossible" while not making fun of the characters at all. So like I said, neutral response overall while simply saying he can't do so, while never explaining why beyond licensing. I have yet to see legitimate hate like people keep on suggesting, yet never can truly back up.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Especially since the licensing is difficult enough that it's easier to avoid the whole situation.
Tekken 7 already has an issue with licensing Negan: He isn't available in the arcade version, while the rest of the DLC is. Plus there's how Tekken 3 couldn't be released on the PS Store because of Gon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Tekken 7 already has an issue with licensing Negan: He isn't available in the arcade version, while the rest of the DLC is. Plus there's how Tekken 3 couldn't be released on the PS Store because of Gon.
Well, that's also a different company who might have a different view of how to handle licensing. Sakurai has good reasons to not even try, as he's well aware of how horrid the fanbases can be if he doesn't do exactly what "they" want. Adding in a clearly controversial character is already a questionable idea. If it was at least a 1st party, it's not that risky. 3rd party that costs a lot is just not a risk worth taking anyway.

StormC

Smash Hero
Lighthearted laughing at things is pretty normal for him before adding the character. Just like he did for Ridley. Yeahhhh, no, I don't believe he actually hates the idea at all. That's his general response to many things. He doesn't take things that seriously as people thinks he does. Last thing he'll do in this situation is give a strong response, because he's trying to avoid a subject that he knows riles fanbases up. Besides, that link shows he wasn't even laughing at anyone but Segato Sanshiro and Yukawasen. What he said was a neutral "That's impossible" while not making fun of the characters at all. So like I said, neutral response overall while simply saying he can't do so, while never explaining why beyond licensing. I have yet to see legitimate hate like people incorrectly suggest.
I've never once suggested he hates it, you are putting words in my mouth. He just isn't in favor of it. He's repeated this point several times, saying "manga characters will not join the battle (obviously)" and saying he doesn't think characters like Goku or Iron Man would happen very recently. You would have to build a case to prove that he is actually fond of the idea, which you can't because he's never stated otherwise. It isn't comparable at all to Ridley, who is a first party character whose implementation purely came down to technical gameplay issues.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've never once suggested he hates it, you are putting words in my mouth. He just isn't in favor of it. He's repeated this point several times, saying "manga characters will not join the battle (obviously)" and saying he doesn't think characters like Goku or Iron Man would happen very recently. You would have to build a case to prove that he is actually fond of the idea, which you can't because he's never stated otherwise. It isn't comparable at all to Ridley, who is a first party character whose implementation purely came down to technical gameplay issues.
And this is still missing the point. He never said he dislikes the idea. It's a neutral response and pretty irrelevant overall, just like I said earlier. You literally said earlier he "mocked" the idea of Goku, but that's not really true. He didn't actually mock anything either. It's easy to tell he just isn't able to treat the idea seriously, for good reasons.

We know he already told us they're impossible. But he's had a neutral response otherwise when it comes to his opinions of the ideas. There's a huge difference between his personal thoughts(which was neutral) and whether or not they're possible(which is not possible).

Eh, the Ridley point is that he outright gave a joke response when asked if he considered Ridley, In the same tone as the various manga characters. He doesn't take the suggestions as serious ones, but he doesn't really show any ill will towards the ideas, which is a common belief for some reason. Which again, why the point you brought up is irrelevant to what I actually arguing in the first place.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Was this question at all related to the Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town remake announcement that just happened?
No, like I said in a later post, I don't play Harvest Moon. But as a supporter of a Style Savvy character, it got me thinking about Japanese games that are very, very popular among the non hardcore segment if video game players, and I was wondering if any third-party series fit into that. I immediately thought of my friend and how she loves Harvest Moon, and I went "Oh yeah, Harvest Moon is real big, isn't it?"

The gushing in the rest of your post more or less proved my point that there are actually people out there who would love to see this happen, haha.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Doomguy is an outlier to this, and the only reason people bring him nowadays is because of those faker rumors about him that made people talk about. He's now just sticking around like the Chorus Kids after the Gematsu Leak.
I think it's owing much less to the "leaks" than Hines' statement. Characters flood in and out of unverifiable anonymous "leaks", but someone in the industry poking the fanbase will leave an impression. Look at Spencer's tweet, that actually caused an inclusion.

The reason Chorus Kids have perpetuated is with good reason, that leak was real, just outdated, and since then every other character has been included.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Every time I see this debate over non-video game characters in Smash, I think about how different this discussion would be in the timeline where James Bond actually got into Melee. Would people be more open to the idea or would they just see Bond as a strange outlier that shouldn't be duplicated? I feel like if that happened, there'd be more of a case for non-video game characters that come from really influential games like Goldeneye. I don't think Goku or Spongebob would be up for discussion, but someone like Geralt from The Witcher might have a bit more leeway since most people know him from the Witcher games. But we don't live in that timeline so for now it's best to assume characters from other media are a no-go.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Every time I see this debate over non-video game characters in Smash, I think about how different this discussion would be in the timeline where James Bond actually got into Melee. Would people be more open to the idea or would they just see Bond as a strange outlier that shouldn't be duplicated? I feel like if that happened, there'd be more of a case for non-video game characters that come from really influential games like Goldeneye. I don't think Goku or Spongebob would be up for discussion, but someone like Geralt from The Witcher might have a bit more leeway since most people know him from the Witcher games. But we don't live in that timeline so for now it's best to assume characters from other media are a no-go.
I feel people misinterpret the James Bond ****. James Bond was never considered. It was an answer to a statement made by an employee iirc. One which said "James Bond should be in" to which Sakurai replied with a polite "No, it's never going to happen and here's why"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
What do you all think about a possible Harvest Moon character? It's one of the few big-name casual Japanese third-party series that a lot of people generally seem to know about.

The protagonist's moveset can be somewhat similar to Villager in that they're just an ordinary person, in this case a farmer, doing things that reference farm life and taking care of animals. Their smash attacks could use farming tools like pitchforks, and their special attacks could revolve around growing different crops that give you different perks / projectiles, like an expanded version of Villager's tree-growing down special.
I don't think I've ever played over ten minutes of Harvest Moon but I'd be cool with Jack or someone. People underestimate how popular and influential they were.
Tbh if James Bond was in Smash I don't think I'd have gotten into Smash in the first place. The whole point of Smash is that it's a videogame crossover, it would feel almost like a troll game if it suddenly had movie characters in it.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
If we have to have licensed characters from other media, I'd once again rather have them have ties to Nintendo. Give me Popeye and James Bond before we get Goku.

Goku just opens the floodgates for other meme characters which would make the speculation scene unbearable. Other fighting games that pull from these places can get away from it precisely because the majority of their characters are original. It doesn't matter that Negan is in Tekken, Hellboy is in Mortal Kombat or Darth Vader is in Soul Calibur, that spot wasn't going to go to an icon of gaming history.

I would not want to go through a speculation season debating the merits of Takamaru and Prince Sable against Batman and Superman.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So, do you like the direction Smash is taking with "Videogame All-Stars" instead of just "Nintendo All-Stars"? We're probably just in the beginning of the transition but we have 10 3rd party franchises currently (11 if you count Bayonetta).

Metal Gear
Sonic
Pac-Man
Megaman
Street Fighter
Final Fantasy
Castlevania
Persona
Dragon Quest
Banjo-Kazooie
Honestly no. I understand the appeal to many as I too felt it when we got Sonic AND Pac-Man in the game but it's a fleeting appeal to me as after the initial shock of them being in they're just...sort of there standing out like sore thumbs.

The entire appeal for me for the series was playing as Nintendo's impressive roster of characters. I can't pretend I don't like at least some of the guest stars but frankly echoes Richter and Ken didn't need to be included to bulk out the guest franchises and even Sonic fighting Mario is becoming less of an impressive thing every single new game that allows it to happen. It just doesn't feel as special as it once did to me and I say that as both a Mario and a Sonic fan. Maybe Olympics has something to do with that too.

It's difficult to put my finger on it, but I just prefer a more concise concept and I don't really want Smash to end up feeling like MUGEN. Impressive variety, maybe, but conceptially messier every new iteration.

Maybe I'd be less jaded if I got the Nintendo stars I've been waiting for since Smash 64 or Brawl like many did with Ridley and K. Rool this time(and incidentally these same people are far more supportive of third parties now their first parties made it, guess it's human nature) but for the time being whilst we're missing a fair few decently popular or iconic Nintendo characters giving us SECOND reps from guest series just feels like it's making the whole original concept far more diluted.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sakurai literally said in his most recent book non-video game characters will not be in Smash and namedropped Goku.
I can see where he's coming from: There are too many icons if you start allowing non-video game characters. Even at Smash's start you had characters like Popeye, James Bond and Harry Potter (Nintendo did offer to buy his video game rights from JK Rowling, the rights instead went to EA / Warner likely because they could much more readily go multi-plat. Don't blame Rowling for that position though, that's reasonable). Even Doraemon, who appeared with Bond in the old poll from the N64 days.

And that's before getting into characters that have become famous / iconic since. A lot of anime / manga icons are post-Smash 64 (especially shonen ones. Naruto, Luffy, Yugi, Saitama and even Kirito depending on how you see his fame), and the Cinematic Universe boom has given loads of superheroes a massively improved standing.

Still, I think we'll get 4th parties eventually. But that's way down the line, when Sakurai's retired and obvious video game icons have started to dwindle. And any 4th party rep would, IMO, have to be limited to two factors: A) Nintendo console appearance, and B) Having had major positive impact on the gaming industry for at least 20-30 years (like 2-3 great games over that time span) to hinder the floodgates. EDIT: And limit their numbers significantly. And when it comes to 4th parties, one needs to be super-clear on the rules for them.

So again, I can see where he's coming from.

Hellboy is in Mortal Kombat
Quick correction, Hellboy got into Injustice 2, MK's sister series about a more dystopic DC universe. Mortal Kombat's generally the host to horror movie icons (Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Alien / Predator etc.) as well as Spawn being confirmed as DLC for 11 (Terminator and Ash from the Evil Dead being heavily rumored by Shang Tsung's DLC trailer).

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Quick correction, Hellboy got into Injustice 2, MK's sister series about a more dystopic DC universe. Mortal Kombat's generally the host to horror movie icons (Freddy Krueger, Jason Vorhees, Alien / Predator etc.) as well as Spawn being confirmed as DLC for 11 (Terminator and Ash from the Evil Dead being heavily rumored by Shang Tsung's DLC trailer).
This is what I get for writing a reply first thing in the morning after 4 hours sleep...

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I think if we will ever get a 4th party character, other than Goku, Miku will be the one. She's known worldwide, has her own games, showed up several times on Nintendo consoles, can offer unique movesets, and most importantly, she is relatively easy to get compared to characters like James Bond or Darth Vader thanks to Sega.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm out of tune with Vocaloid, so I don't know if Miku is a videogame character or not really.

From what I've heard, she seems to have a similar case to Agumon?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm out of tune with Vocaloid, so I don't know if Miku is a videogame character or not really.

From what I've heard, she seems to have a similar case to Agumon?
I thought she was created for a music video or something? Not really a similar case, as the Tamagotchi-like things are pretty much video games in every way but name. It's not even like a Pinball Machine, which is more of a spin-off of a video game.

She's far less video game-based than Agumon would be, who literally debuted in the same type of thing. The "Electronic Toys" are pretty much no different from your typical handheld video game. It's literally a screen with video game-based stuff and a controller, just built into one. It just comes pre-loaded with a single game instead of letting you put cartridges/discs into it. That's literally the difference between an Electronic Toy and a Gameboy at the time. Not to be confused with a lot of the many more proper toys like how R.O.B. more or less is, as they're more of an accessory to the game. Or those things like the buddy dogs or whatever they're called. Those alone are more electronic action figures in a sense, just way bigger. Imagine those K'nex you could buy that come with actual electronic motors and such.

Another way to put it is if comes with a build-on screen and a way to directly play it, it leans more video game than toy. I mean, there's no denying it had a different official name for what kind of media it is. Miku's in a weirder spot, despite the memes. I also don't remember her exact origins as a character, as I mostly know her from being heavily talked about as well as fanart and various music videos.

D

Deleted member

I thought she was created for a music video or something? Not really a similar case, as the Tamagotchi-like things are pretty much video games in every way but name. It's not even like a Pinball Machine, which is more of a spin-off of a video game.

She's far less video game-based than Agumon would be, who literally debuted in the same type of thing. The "Electronic Toys" are pretty much no different from your typical handheld video game. It's literally a screen with video game-based stuff and a controller, just built into one. It just comes pre-loaded with a single game instead of letting you put cartridges/discs into it. That's literally the difference between an Electronic Toy and a Gameboy at the time. Not to be confused with a lot of the many more proper toys like how R.O.B. more or less is, as they're more of an accessory to the game. Or those things like the buddy dogs or whatever they're called. Those alone are more electronic action figures in a sense, just way bigger. Imagine those K'nex you could buy that come with actual electronic motors and such.

Another way to put it is if comes with a build-on screen and a way to directly play it, it leans more video game than toy. I mean, there's no denying it had a different official name for what kind of media it is. Miku's in a weirder spot, despite the memes. I also don't remember her exact origins as a character, as I mostly know her from being heavily talked about as well as fanart and various music videos.
Yeah, I know that Digimon is a video game series.

I was mostly referring to Miku since I heard she was created for some kind of song maker program or stuff like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty sure Miku was created for a vocaloid program that allows users to compose a song based on "Miku's" vocals, which were a bit like text-to-speech, but more like text-to-song, since you could also control cadence.

So it seems a bit of a grey area. It's computer software, but it's not really a game. More like a creating tool. I'd say it's right on the edge of what could still count, given the result is to make music, which is still entertainment via computer program, but it really could go either way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty sure Miku was created for a vocaloid program that allows users to compose a song based on "Miku's" vocals, which were a bit like text-to-speech, but more like text-to-song, since you could also control cadence.

So it seems a bit of a grey area. It's computer software, but it's not really a game. More like a creating tool. I'd say it's right on the edge of what could still count, given the result is to make music, which is still entertainment via computer program, but it really could go either way.
Basically that, yeah.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There may be nothing literally keeping non-video game characters out of Smash, but the reason i’d say it’s still not going to happen is the fact that it’s a slippery slope.

If Goku gets in as the first non-video game character, what’s stopping Hello Kitty? Mickey Mouse? Spider-Man? The requests would be endless, and completely arbitrary to fans

Granted, I think Spider-Man and other Marvel characters would be sick. But i’d say to let Nintendo do their video game crossover, and leave it at that.
—-
I’d also like to just mention that Nintendo, and subsequently Smash, would not be where it is right now without 3rd parties in Smash. If the series stuck to 1st parties for the entire existence of the franchise, it would not be nearly as big, or hype worthy.

If not for the 3rd parties, this game wouldn’t have been able to be considered the “biggest crossover in gaming history”, “Everyone is here” wouldn’t have been nearly as big of a deal, and I simply don’t think the quality of the game would be as good or creative.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There may be nothing literally keeping non-video game characters out of Smash, but the reason i’d say it’s still not going to happen is the fact that it’s a slippery slope.

If Goku gets in as the first non-video game character, what’s stopping Jet Jaguar? Scrooge McDuck? The Fantastic Four? The requests would’ve endless, and completely arbitrary to fans

Granted, I think the Fantastic Four and other Marvel characters would be sick. But i’d say to let Nintendo do their video game crossover, and leave it at that.
—-
I’d also like to just mention that Nintendo, and subsequently Smash, would not be where it is right now without 3rd parties in Smash. If the series stuck to 1st parties for the entire existence of the franchise, it would not be nearly as big, or hype worthy.

If not for the 3rd parties, this game wouldn’t have been able to be considered the “biggest crossover in gaming history”, “Everyone is here” wouldn’t have been nearly as big of a deal, and I simply don’t think the quality of the game would be as good or creative.
I did some fixes to your posts, but I agree.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Well we have stuff from Mario Paint in the game so it's not unprecedented. Still, like you said, a grey area

osby

Smash Obsessed
DRAGON BALL HAS HAD GAMES MADE BY BANDAI NAMCO. Why the [BLEEP] did Sakurai namedrop Goku, even though Dragon Ball FighterZ was made by Bandai Namco in the first place?
Bcause Goku was created for a manga. Tony Hawk also has video games but that doesn't mean he's a video game character.

D

Deleted member

I may think that Geralt De Rivia won't get in pretty easily.

Mostly because he is kind of a book character, ngl.

But yeah, I never manage to put a consencus on him regarding the idea of him being valid as a videogame character or not.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What about Kite or Haseo from the .hack games? Iirc .hack started as an anime, but Kite and Haseo are exclusive to video games. Would they be considered a gray area?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What about Kite or Haseo from the .hack games? Iirc .hack started as an anime, but Kite and Haseo are exclusive to video games. Would they be considered a gray area?
They're in the same boat as Starkiller and other similar characters. While their franchises did not start out as video games, these characters did debut in video games. I don't know if Sakurai would consider a character who has this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom