• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My only worry about Touhou's soundtrack listing if it gets in Smash is that it'd probably be safe and just stick to EOSD, PCB, and IN. There's a lot of tracks I'd love to see in Smash like Hartmans Youkai Girl, Pure Furies, Missing Power, Eternal Spring Dream, Faith is for the transient People, Kobito of the Shining Needle, The Lost Emotion, etc etc that part of me worries they'd only stick to the first three Windows games since their music is most well known.

That is a weird worry to have but it is still one.
From what my friend has told me, the PC98 games are no longer cannon, and like, three characters have appeared in later games (Reimu, Marisa, and one other girl). If that's the case I'd say it'd be more likely to get songs from the games that weren't abandoned.

EDIT: I'd worry about a short tracklist due to the team feeling the need to remix it all due to the softer instrumentation like they did with Banjo-Kazooie. (Which may or may not be unfounded as well)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
From what my friend has told me, the PC98 games are no longer cannon, and like, three characters have appeared in later games (Reimu, Marisa, and one other girl). If that's the case I'd say it'd be more likely to get songs from the games that weren't abandoned.
Honestly, I wouldn't say they're not 'canon' as much as they are a "We'll use material from these when I feel like it."

Outside of the revolving door of main characters that usually boil down to sub-10 characters, every game pretty much has an entirely new cast with very few repeat appearances.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

EDIT: I'd worry about a short tracklist due to the team feeling the need to remix it all due to the softer instrumentation like they did with Banjo-Kazooie. (Which may or may not be unfounded as well)
Four actually, Reimu and Marisa are obvious.

The others are Alice Margatroid (minion of the antagonist of the final PC-98 game, now a yokai who lives near Marisa and uses dolls, but the fandom almost solely cares about making her lesbo for Marisa) and Yuuka Kazami (antagonist of the 4th game, now just a flower lady who casually speaks of murder for ****s and giggles and the fandom either protrays her as a bloodthirsty psycho or just desperate for friends).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, I wouldn't say they're not 'canon' as much as they are a "We'll use material from these when I feel like it."

Outside of the revolving door of main characters that usually boil down to sub-10 characters, every game pretty much has an entirely new cast with very few repeat appearances.
Hm. He gave me the impression that they were a lot more recurring than that. Maybe it's just because there's a million bajillion of them and they tend to make more than one appearance, but not much more than that (or the characters he happened to explain to me were the ones to appear two or three times).

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Hm. He gave me the impression that they were a lot more recurring than that. Maybe it's just because there's a million bajillion of them and they tend to make more than one appearance, but not much more than that (or the characters he happened to explain to me were the ones to appear two or three times).
There's some recurring characters. Sakuya, Youmu, and Sanae tend to be the more common recurring characters. Reisen, Aya, Cirno, and others do too.

And most recurring roles tend to be in the official fighting games or official mangas. Yes those exist.

Shroob

Sup?
Aside from the same small handful of playable characters, which boil down to: Reimu, Marisa, Sanae, Youmu, Reisen, Sakuya, Aya and Cirno, not really.

You 'sometimes' have characters appear from prior games as bosses again, but it's nowhere near the norm.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Likely or not likely, expectations have been subverted before. Sure didn't expect Terry, but that was a sleeper hit. I'm more interested in what the general consensus about a Touhou character is rather than their "objective" "chances". :nifty:
I'd be pretty stoked, Touhou is a great series (that I wish I'd played more of, natch) and I know a guy who has Reimu as his most wanted.

I'd probably be saddened by the inevitable Bogardesque "What's a Touhou?" that would spring up online.
And since I am on this groove of "Unlikely" or "Unexpected" characters being brought up for discussion, Dead by Daylight is now making me think of the possibility of Silent Hill content in Smash. A playable Pyramid Head would absolutely blow my mind if that happened in Smash, especially since Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games and SH is one of my favorite franchises.

I imagine it'd be a bit too dark for Smash but of course people wanted a Resident Evil rep in Smash before the great Spirit purge happened. Also it'd be funny seeing someone like Pyramid Head acting goofy from Smash items or even Pyramid Head Kirby.

And honestly, like I said with Danganronpa, Silent Hill has the treatment of its most recognizable and iconic character being the antagonist than Harry, James, or Heather. Even people I know who don't know much about Silent Hill know who Pyramid Head is.

Just a silly idea and even more unlikely than Touhou or Dynasty Warriors but it's another "unlikely" series I had to bring up for discussion.
I don't know how I'd feel about that, Pyramid Head kind of carries a lot of meaning and I didn't like how they diminished his impact by going against his creator's wishes and turning him into a mascot.
Then again, I feel like I'm the only one who reads that ****.
Not only do I read that ****, but I also give likes when I find the information useful because I pity whoever writes it that much.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Monkey's Paw situation, the Zelda/ARMS fighter for this Smash is Mechanica.

Once again, I will repeat this trivia: The voice actor for Mechanica is Ayumi Fujimura, the voice behind Fi (Skyward Swords/Hyrule Warriors)/Zelda (A Link Between Worlds/Smash Ultimate). So there you go, there is your Zelda rep for Fighter Pass 2. Though Fujimura is on indefinite hiatus as of April 2019, Mechanica's voice may have to be replaced or reuse if she is going to be the ARMS rep in Smash.

Also, I would love to have a another voice actor situation for this Fighter Pass as Xander Mobus is the Smash announcer/Joker.
Mm I'm sorry but that's too much of a stretch, even for a monkey's paw.

Literally no one would consider that a zelda rep. I think a monkey's paw or evil genie would rather add another Link clone or like, a Deku Baba or something.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
My only worry about Touhou's soundtrack listing if it gets in Smash is that it'd probably be safe and just stick to EOSD, PCB, and IN. There's a lot of tracks I'd love to see in Smash like Hartmans Youkai Girl, Pure Furies, Missing Power, Eternal Spring Dream, Faith is for the transient People, Kobito of the Shining Needle, The Lost Emotion, etc etc that part of me worries they'd only stick to the first three Windows games since their music is most well known.

That is a weird worry to have but it is still one.
If that's the case I'd say it'd be more likely to get songs from the games that weren't abandoned.
Well if any track from the PC98 era could get in, there's Bad Apple for one. Be it the original theme, or the one used in the PV. (I literally just found out Bad Apple came from the fourth Touhou game while listening to the 10 minute loop of the original)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's some recurring characters. Sakuya, Youmu, and Sanae tend to be the more common recurring characters. Reisen, Aya, Cirno, and others do too.

And most recurring roles tend to be in the official fighting games or official mangas. Yes those exist.
I knew of the fighting games. Even played one of them. Makes sense though.

To be honest though, I don't remember most of these characters by name. I remember Reimu, Marisa, Cierno, and Alice now that you mention her (in a previous post anyway). Also the designs of the green haired lady from the second and third games, bucket girl, and the bunny lady with crazy moon eyes or whatever. There's also a girl who throws knives but I don't remember her name or what she looks like.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there was one girl that I dubbed "Lady Gaga" because her outfit was just...what? But I don't remember what she looked like either.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I knew of the fighting games. Even played one of them. Makes sense though.

To be honest though, I don't remember most of these characters by name. I remember Reimu, Marisa, Cierno, and Alice now that you mention her (in a previous post anyway). Also the designs of the green haired lady from the second and third games, bucket girl, and the bunny lady with crazy moon eyes or whatever. There's also a girl who throws knives but I don't remember her name or what she looks like.
Ah, the one who stops time?

1590553124330.png

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
And that's what's so funny. Remember this?

View attachment 272850

People act like that their entire life is ruined just because someone else got into a crossover video game. Like Sakurai pinky promised them something and they didn't know he was crossing his fingers on the other hand.
Castlevania may not be as big as it was in the 80s and 90s, but it's FAR from dead. Hell, it even has its own popular ongoing TV series on Netflix.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania
It's more active than Metroid or even WarioWare, which was alluded to in the Tweet.

Shroob

Sup?
Can't believe the Newcomer thread has become boomers discussing Touhou

1590553599412.png

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Mm I'm sorry but that's too much of a stretch, even for a monkey's paw.

Literally no one would consider that a zelda rep. I think a monkey's paw or evil genie would rather add another Link clone or like, a Deku Baba or something.
So, something like Link from Link's Crossbow Training?

Shroob

Sup?
If you think about it, 4chan culture for half of its lifespan was mostly Touhou memeposting.
It really was. Touhou got its first huge BOON on 4chan and then just kinda infected the rest of the internet back in the mid 2000's...

....gee, ya know, ain't that how MLP got big too

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
....gee, ya know, ain't that how MLP got big too
Among that, spawning the wave of Pepe and Wojak variants for years to come. Didn't go so well for those.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Among that, spawning the wave of Pepe and Wojak variants for years to come.
*Clears throat*

"Noooo you can't just make some obscure Japanese only Shmup filled with anime girls popular and have it have a lasting impact on internet culture and gaming for years to come!"

"Haha Cirno go 9ball"

Gribbo

Smash Apprentice
Also, her Japanese voice actor is Ayumi Fujimura, the voice behind Fi in The Legend of Zelda series, and Princess Zelda in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. So boom, there is your Zelda representative for Fighter Pass 2.
Mario is my favorite Elder Scrolls/Ratchet and Clank/Jet Set Radio/Skies of Arcadia/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure/Bit.Trip representative.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
*Clears throat*

"Noooo you can't just make some obscure Japanese only Shmup filled with anime girls popular and have it have a lasting impact on internet culture and gaming for years to come!"

"Haha Cirno go 9ball"
It's plastered all over their website regardless, it's half of their banners. Go to /vg/ or /jp/ and you still have people obsessing over it after 15+ years, it's legitimately astounding how long it has thrived on the site.

I'd try Touhou games if they had ever gotten localized tbh.

Shroob

Sup?
It's plastered all over their website regardless, it's half of their banners. Go to /vg/ or /jp/ and you still have people obsessing over it after 15+ years, it's legitimately astounding how long it has thrived on the site.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...Star_in_Four_Seasons/?curator_clanid=34467426

Honestly, go for it. All the menus are in English, the only thing that isn't is the character dialogue, which can just be patched in via a fan translation.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sakurai heard the complaints about there being three Links, so he has privately informed me that the next Zelda rep is...
Linkle.png

Linkle!
She's a Ken-esque Echo Fighter of Link. Her Neutral-B charges up two crossbows. Each does less damage than a standard arrow, but if you hit both, it does more damage.
She has a faster run speed, but she is lighter.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Mario is my favorite Elder Scrolls/Ratchet and Clank/Jet Set Radio/Skies of Arcadia/Jojo's Bizarre Adventure/Bit.Trip representative.
I was quite excited when Marth's voice was changed in English, who'd say he was representing Ben 10 all along!

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace

A lot of them are coming to Steam. In fact, some of the older games are coming there too: https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1263796803364728836 Sadly no EOSD, PCB, or IN yet though. Or the official fighting games outside of AOCF. Though Mountain of Faith is one of my favorite Touhou games so I would recommend that one too.

You just need a fan patch translation for them. Antinomy of Common Flowers has an English translation but I recommend the fan translation since the official one is kind of bland.

And if you want a fangame, Touhou Genso Wanderer is an excellent one that is on Switch. Touhou Luna Nights is a good one that is gonna come to Switch as some point. Touhou Sky Arena is good if you have friends and is on Switch too. Koumajou Densetsu 1 and 2 are also great if you want a more Castlevania feel.

Closest to localization we may get but we can legally buy the games now, even if we still need an English patch.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think I'd wanna play a Shmup on anything but a PC due to the insane reaction times and pinpoint movements you need for higher difficulty, but you do you.
Don't fear the challenge, Shroob.

Calane

Smash Ace
Is there some sort of Touhou rumor going around or something? ...I usually just read comments and leave these days, but I thought I'd give my two cents on Touhou possibly getting into Smash.

I personally think Reimu would be pretty darn awesome, even though my knowledge of Touhou is pretty bare-bones. I'm mostly familiar with the obvious stuff like that Bad Apple video, but I also recognize some character designs (even if I can't remember all of their names). I don't know enough to call myself a big fan (though I'd like to get into the series more someday), but I can at least say that I like it. I'm all for Reimu making it in.

As for how likely I think she is? I don't really know. This game has been full of surprises, so I wouldn't be shocked if she turned up at some point. I definitely wouldn't say it's impossible.

I haven't heard a lot of Touhou music, but I've always liked the song above in particular. I hope it'd sound something like that if it ever got into Smash.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Sakurai heard the complaints about there being three Links, so he has privately informed me that the next Zelda rep is...
View attachment 272860
Linkle!
She's a Ken-esque Echo Fighter of Link. Her Neutral-B charges up two crossbows. Each does less damage than a standard arrow, but if you hit both, it does more damage.
She has a faster run speed, but she is lighter.
I know I was memeing about a Link clone earlier but I'd honestly be down for this.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I know I was memeing about a Link clone earlier but I'd honestly be down for this.
Me too. As long as we get at least three more Zelda characters.
My choice would be Impa, Tingle, and.... I know it's another Link, but Midna & Wolf Link.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
ok so about the sakura wars discussion from a while back

i'm actually super glad people have started to discuss other sega characters than just arle

so, as a huge sega nut, i'd like to talk about potential sega reps for pass 2 here

ok

so i think that besides puyo, there's 4 big sega franchises to be put into consideration: sakura wars, yakuza, streets of rage and phantasy star

sakura wars has already been covered

yakuza is one of sega's biggest series right now alongside with sonic and persona, they consider it one of their big moneymakers and not being popular outside of japan isn't even a problem anymore since it's recently had a huge popularity boom in the west

and i'm not just saying streets of rage because of the new game, otherwise we'd be all over monkey ball and space channel 5: i'm saying this because it was apparently really big back in the 90's when sega were still in their golden age. to this day, streets of rage is still one of sega's biggest classics from that era, and the mega drive was also an important footnote in sega and maybe overall gaming history that i feel shouldn't just be repped by sonic, and axel stone is a prime candidate

and now, phantasy star: this one is a SERIOUS darkhorse, because it wasn't just another big sega series in the 90's, oh nonononono, it was one of their big boys for ALL of their history before they started hyperfocusing on sonic, yakuza and persona. it was one of the big old influential jrpgs of the late 80's along with stuff like dragon quest, final fantasy and fellow darkhorse candidate ys. and HOO BOY, don't get me started on phantasy star online. that was a BIG hit (well, at least by the dreamcast's standards) to the point where it got a sequel that's available right now and if you go to sega's 60th anniversary website, you see that they consider pso one of their big milestones alongside stuff like their classic arcade games, the yakuza series and their acquisition of atlus. all in all, phantasy star in particular is one candidate that we should NOT overlook.

now would i absolutely love to see stuff like jet set radio and skies of arcadia? hell yeah, but i don't think they're happening unfortunately

if it were up to me, out of these 4 i'd pick streets of rage because i LOVE that series and

come on

come on

you give this one listen and tell me you don't want it in smash

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have some personal preferences for more characters from third parties already represented.

SEGA: Kiryu
Capcom: Amingo
Namco: Heihachi
Square: Crono
Konami: Yugi **** you i'll make it count
SNK: Haohmaru

Now granted, some of these will never happen, doesn't change that I'll still want them. :p Since we were sharing opinions I wanted to share mine.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
One new character per company. Alright, I'll bite.

Sega: Axel Stone/Blaze Fielding
Capcom: Mega Man X, but if same franchise doesn't count, Dante
Namco: Jin Kazama
Square: Lara Croft
Konami: Bill Rizer
SNK: Kyo, if that's not cheating.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
alright, sure, guess i'll also throw my hat into the ring

sega: axel
capcom: wright
namco: don-chan
square: neku
konami: bomberman
snk: iori

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Oh yay!
Assuming new franchises only:
Sega: Ristar
Capcom: Dante
Bandai-Namco: Heihachi
Square Enix: Lara Croft
Konami: Frogger
SNK: Haohmaru
Microsoft: Master Chief

Bonus: Third Parties in Smash but not playable!
Ubisoft: Rayman
Yacht Club Games: Shovel Knight
WayForward: Shantae
Arc System Works: Sol Badguy
Koei Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom