• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm bored but Capcom and Namco reps from most likely to least likely. Doing only five.

Capcom:
1. Resident Evil Rep (Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy)
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monster Hunter
4. Amaterasu
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Heihachi
3. Nightmare
4. KOS-MOS
5. Agumon

Agree or disagree?
Eh, I'd switch the order of KOS-MOS and Agumon, as well as Heihachi and Lloyd Irving. KOS-MOS is far more slept on, and also isn't a mega franchise like Digimon is in the same way.

Not sure on the Capcom front, but I do agree with the 1st and 5th one. Dante's in a position where the creator even said he doesn't think he should be in unless there was a DMC game on Nintendo first. While one is coming out later, the Fighter's Pass was done by that point. So I very much doubt his chances. Also, Monster Hunter is pretty much a case where the people behind the series were not pleased with the Hunter being in MVC, so it's even lower than Dante, thinking about it. Or even off the top 5 list at this point. There's other Capcom franchises, like a second MegaMan character to take into account. As well as stuff like Ghost & Goblins, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, to name a few. And more I can't think of off the top of my head. Not saying a lot of these have a chance, but if you put MH lower, there's some contenders for a 5th spot(which compared to the 4th spot, which IMO would fit more for Dante), is a pretty big gap in chances.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Yeah, the notification is still there. I don't know how far in advance they would upload the video, but with Joker it was about... two weeks ahead, at best.

And if that "78-day theory" is correct, that means we might get it this week. Then again, we have no guarantee of anything, so don't hold your breath.

If we do end up getting the Hero update, though, that would mean Banjo probably releases in the last week of September or first of October, so...
I hope it is soon because the only spirits I'm missing at this point are the Labo spirits and I need them to be added to the spirit board rotation...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we've got anywhere between here and August 31st for Hero and then we have to wait until August 31st at least for Banjo & Kazooie

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
in my perspective, Spirits are as hard a deconfirmation as being an assist.

There are arguments stating that Spirit =/= deconfirmation but those same arguments (Sakuri could upgrade them if he wanted) also apply to assists and mii costumes just as easily.
The way I see it, a spirit is more than just an image, but a gameplay element. To promote a spirit you would have to remove their spirit from the game and possibly alter the story mode, or rename it. Take Geno for example. His spirit is simply called "Geno", and is not a fighter spirit. with other spirits of already playable fighters (Kaptain K Rool for example), it isn't exactly that fighter (in this case, the spirit is not called King K Rool) because it's not entirely the fighter, but a variation. here with good ol' Geno, his spirit name is not "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" or something, but plain old "Geno". As fighter spirits (save weird situations like Advert Children Cloud) do not go by alternate names or subtitles (back to Rool- he is King K Rool, not King K Rool (Donkey Kong Country)), he has no potential fighter spirit name.

And if we are to assume they are to rename it should he get in, I ask- why would they make that "Geno" spirit in the first place if they're just going to change it later? Why go to the effort to make a unique spirit if you know you're just gonna change it later so the character may be added?

IMO, Spirits are generally a way to say "I am sorry your fav is not in the game, but I will put them in as an NPC so you know your prayers have not been ignored".

it also makes no sense from an in-game perspective; imagine there is a spirit of a fighter and a trophy of that fighter in the same game. That would lead to fighting yourself, not an alternate persona of yourself!

Shoddy argument, but that's how i see it
IDK, did they rename Lucas and Mewtwo's trophies in Smash 4, or was there not enough care about such a dilemma to do so?

Assuming ALL the DLC picks were DEFINITIVELY, FINALLY decided before the finalisation of the spirit list (ONLY therefore having reason to exclude every choice they were "potentially" considering for DLC), it would seem kinda weird to have a spirit named like just "Geno" for example, if they knew he was going to be a character, especially if they already knew they would be coming with more spirits as a FP character. Though is it also possible they'd put them in anyway as to help not give away the fighter's pass characters? Smash character secrecy is a pretty big thing when it's not being leaked through box art design.

Tho there's that whole thing with a Nipper or whatever spirit evolving into Petey Piranha, with that likely seeming like it was Piranha's spirit changed to not interfere with his Fighter spirit...

So potentially shoddier argument, I wager.
Here’s a topic to shift gears.

Is there a franchise that is currently not in Smash that, if left out at the end of DLC, you as a fan would feel that there was a hole in the roster?

I obviously feel that way about Resident Evil (it’s been a classic for 2 decades now!). The characters are famous, gameplay is excellent, and it’s a pillar of excellence for the horror genre, which brings in plenty of content for a stage, spirit battles, and the music has plenty of potential.

With so many genre-defining series in Smash already, and with it being the sole-remaining Top 10 Japanese-created gaming series left currently not in Smash, it would just be like a missed opportunity to truly have the “all-star” feel if there isn’t a playable character.

What do you guys think? Which series would make you feel that way?
I mean, there's a Rhythm Paradise character, as I've already mentioned, but in my defence it IS the one franchise seemingly planned to be in a Smash roster but cut and never later appeared that we know about.

Rhythm Paradise in itself is kinda shaky in terms of characters with the whole spirits thing; if the Chorus Kids truly were the ideal rep for the franchise planned for Smash 4, does their spirit presence mean the only viable rep choice was shut down for Ultimate? Or could they choose another character instead, had it definitely been the Chorus Kids for Smash 4? Could it instead be/have been all along a similar but technically distinct entity in Marshall, or a single Chorus Kid, or even a team of Rhythm characters or something technically at least named something else...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
IDK, did they rename Lucas and Mewtwo's trophies in Smash 4, or was there not enough care about such a dilemma to do so?
They were the same names entirely. I thought it wasn't the case, but somebody pointed it out to me just a bit ago. Might be too late for the edit, but eh.

Spirits are always different names too. Even similar Trophies had different names in the same game(but not all the time). Pokemon Trainer is one trophy(a trophy of the actual character in Smash), and Pokemon Trainer(Pokemon X & Y).

Besides the fact we have multiple different Mario spirits as is. Ones with different names to begin with. So the issue of renaming isn't really... an issue. It's not a problem to have unique names at all.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
DFO is the highest grossing single game of all time. Mai made an appearance as a guest there. Mai has made over a hundred different guest appearances in media and she's the most cosplayed character ever. Incredibly beloved in Asia, AND in Latin America.

Again, you're trying to perceive things from your own bubble, your own sphere of influence, but time again we've seen that what Asia and Japan in particular want, precede the West. Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta, Yuusha, etc... all characters that no one here really wanted all that much, but were highly popular in Asia, and had a ton of demand no one was even aware of. Mai's significance as a gaming icon in Asia is NOT to be underestimated. She's ridiculously popular over here. Probably THE most popular classic videogame female in Asia.

Bro, don't bother to reply with stupid **** if you're not gonna do the research.
By DFO I assume you are referring to Dungeon Fighter Online, but the only thing I could find regarding Mai was a mod of her being in the game, and an unrelated character referred to as Shiranui. Maybe you can find a reliable source of her being in the game? Because I sure can’t.

I’m also gonna need a source on her being the most coaplayed character of all time; that’s a bold claim.

Bayonetta was said to be the most requested character in the fighter ballot in Europe and was among the top 5 in the U.S.; they didn’t even mention how high she ranked in Asia. Also Street Fighter 2 and Final Fantasy 7 sold phenomenally well in the west and Ryu and Cloud are loved over here too.

Sakurai said he likes to include characters that are revered by players around the world, and that Cloud and Final Fantasy was an instance of this. Dragon Quest was the first franchise where the Japanese popularity was overwhelmingly bigger than the western popularity, but it makes sense since Dragon Quest is about on par with Mario and Pokémon in Japan.

Again, they tend to add characters that appease Japanese and Western fans. They’ve never added a character to appease fans in Asian countries outside of Japan, because they don’t make much of a profit from them. Now maybe I’m underestimating her popularity in Japan, but I feel like there are other characters Japan would prefer.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm bored but Capcom and Namco reps from most likely to least likely. Doing only five.

Capcom:
1. Resident Evil Rep (Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy)
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monster Hunter
4. Amaterasu
5. Dante

Namco:
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Heihachi
3. Nightmare
4. KOS-MOS
5. Agumon

Agree or disagree?
Generally agree, but I'd swap Phoenix Wright and Monster Hunter and Lloyd Irving and Heihaci respectively. Ace Attorney and Tales of may be fan favourite series among those in Smash, but Monster Hunter and Tekken seem to better fit the big legacy series we've generally seen make guest appearances in Smash.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So thought for fun we could rank the chances of the 1st party Nintendo characters Ace and Legendary spirits from franchises not yet represented. Not for the DLC, but just a future Smash game in general. I don't think the grades mean much, but it's definitely an interesting list with a lot of characters who probably could/should be in Smash by this point. (In fact the most significant franchise without a high level spirit is probably Wars).

Decided to exclude Dr. Kawashima since that's literally a real life person.

Sukapon
Prince Sable
Isaac
Takamaru
Donbe & Hikari
Ray Mk III
Saki Amamiya
Starfy
Karate Joe/Samurai/Chorus Kids
Chibi-Robo
Barbara the Bat
Captain Rainbow
Mallo
Dillon
Spring Man

Last edited:

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
So thought for fun we could rank the chances of the 1st party Nintendo characters Ace and Legendary spirits from franchises not yet represented. Not for the DLC, but just a future Smash game in general. I don't think the grades mean much, but it's definitely an interesting list with a lot of characters who probably could/should be in Smash by this point. (In fact the most significant franchise without a high level spirit is probably Wars).

Sukapon
Prince Sable
Isaac
Takamaru
Donbe & Hikari
Ray Mk III
Saki Amamiya
Starfy
Chibi-Robo
Barbara the Bat
Captain Rainbow
Mallo
Dillon
Spring Man
I agree that all of those are likely for new franchises in smash 6, but you forgot Advance Wars and Astral Chain as well.

Also there's always the posibility of a "WTF" rep that isn't retro, nor a joke character but from an extremely obscure 1st party IP: Soma Bringer, Sutte Hukkun, Elite Beat Agents, FlingSmash, Archaic Sealed Heat, Zangeki...etc.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

Sukapon
Prince Sable
Isaac
Takamaru
Donbe & Hikari
Ray Mk III
Saki Amamiya
Starfy
Chibi-Robo
Barbara the Bat
Captain Rainbow
Mallo
Dillon
Spring Man
That's a pretty good list of 1st party franchises for a future smash game

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Here's my prediction list for Super Smash Bros. 6, i'm assuming we return to the usual 13-14 newcomers in base game and of course list will probably be wrong since game is probably like 2026 lol, but as for 2019 this my list:

1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Karate Joe (RH)
3. Andy/Sami (Advance Wars)
4. Spring Man (ARMS)
5. Frey and Freya (Zangeki no Reginleiv)
6. Waluigi (Mario)
7. Rex and Pyra/XC3 protag (Xenoblade Chronicles)
8. Byleth/FE17 protag (Fire Emblem)
9. Pokémon
10. Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
11. Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)
12. Squid Sisters (Splatoon)
13. Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Assuming ALL the DLC picks were DEFINITIVELY, FINALLY decided before the finalisation of the spirit list (ONLY therefore having reason to exclude every choice they were "potentially" considering for DLC), it would seem kinda weird to have a spirit named like just "Geno" for example, if they knew he was going to be a character, especially if they already knew they would be coming with more spirits as a FP character.
I think the idea is that if DLC was finalized before Spirits, then guys like Geno won't be DLC.

Sukapon
Prince Sable
Isaac
Takamaru
Donbe & Hikari
Ray Mk III
Saki Amamiya
Starfy
Chibi-Robo
Barbara the Bat
Captain Rainbow
Mallo
Dillon
Spring Man
Just want to say that I want all these guys.
Here's my prediction list for Super Smash Bros. 6, i'm assuming we return to the usual 13-14 newcomers in base game and of course list will probably be wrong since game is probably like 2026 lol, but as for 2019 this my list:

1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Karate Joe (RH)
4. Spring Man (ARMS)
6. Waluigi (Mario)
9. Pokémon
13. Crash Bandicoot
Absolutely no way that Zangeki no Reginleiv gets a playable character. Tom Nook and especially the Squid Sisters seem like longshots as well. I think someone like Toad or Dixie Kong or the cop from Astral Chain has a better shot. Maybe even a retro.

D

Deleted member

Its too early to tell regarding newcomers from Nintendo for an hypothetical Smash 6.

For all we know we will have quite a few characters introduced in new franchises or new entries of popular games. A few franchises mentioned sound cool though.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I think the idea is that if DLC was finalized before Spirits, then guys like Geno won't be DLC.

Just want to say that I want all these guys.

Absolutely no way that Zangeki no Reginleiv gets a playable character. Tom Nook and especially the Squid Sisters seem like longshots as well. I think someone like Toad or Dixie Kong or the cop from Astral Chain has a better shot. Maybe even a retro.
Tom Nook and Squid Sisters aren't "Longshots" they're probably one of the most well known nintendo characters left.

Zangeki no Reginleiv was the first Nintendo IP to get a D (17+) Rating in Japan and Sakurai seems to be interested in it (got a trophy in SSB4), I could see it as the WTF character of the game.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Karate Joe (RH)
4. Spring Man (ARMS)
6. Waluigi (Mario)
9. Pokémon
13. Crash Bandicoot
My picks would be: (Not nessicerally in this order since I don't think this exactly finishes strong)

#76. Waluigi
#77. Spring Man
#77*. Ribbon Girl
#78. Master Chief
#2*. Funky Kong
#38*. Shadow
#79. Dixie Kong

#80. Rex & Pyra/Rex & Mythra
#81. Excitebiker
#81*. Mach Rider
#82. Arceus
#83. Bandanna Waddle Dee
#45*. Resident
#64*. Octoling
#60*. Akuma

#84. Rhythm Choir
#85. Metroid
#86. Quote

*Echo fighters.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Karate Joe (RH)
4. Spring Man (ARMS)
6. Waluigi (Mario)
9. Pokémon
13. Crash Bandicoot
All right, my picks in this scenario (Smash 6 in 2026, no further DLC for Ultimate, based on what I feel is semi-likely) would be:

76. [Reserved for new IP, if not] Waluigi
77. Master Chief
78. Sukapon
79. Krystal
80. Gen 10 / 11 Pokemon
81. Crash Bandicoot
82. [Likewise reserved for new IP, if not] FE17 protagonist
83. Takamaru
84. Jody Summers / Black Shadow
85. Squid Sisters
86. Mother 4 Protagonist or Porky
87. Geno
88. (Pure oddball pick) League of Legends rep, such as Ahri.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Here’s a topic to shift gears.

Is there a franchise that is currently not in Smash that, if left out at the end of DLC, you as a fan would feel that there was a hole in the roster?

I obviously feel that way about Resident Evil (it’s been a classic for 2 decades now!). The characters are famous, gameplay is excellent, and it’s a pillar of excellence for the horror genre, which brings in plenty of content for a stage, spirit battles, and the music has plenty of potential.

With so many genre-defining series in Smash already, and with it being the sole-remaining Top 10 Japanese-created gaming series left currently not in Smash, it would just be like a missed opportunity to truly have the “all-star” feel if there isn’t a playable character.

What do you guys think? Which series would make you feel that way?
I just wanna say, RE deserves the Castlevania treatment.
There would be no other 3rd party series more fitting for the next iteration of Smash.
Its gonna happen, I have no doubt about it, but we shouldn't rush things.

And yes, you can argue its the same for DQ but you gotta remember, its Square Enix we're talking about, they're protective with their IPs and getting revenue from DLC may be a better business for them than just license the character to be in the base roster, the reason Cloud is in Ultimate is probably because of this.

D

Deleted member

You're stretching quite a lot to call Mai as iconic as Chun-Li. I wouldn't ever dare call her iconic at all.
Mai Shiranui's sex appeal escalated her popularity in Japan and worldwide, while the character herself is regarded as a female icon of SNK.[22] Play Time claimed that "already a cult" of Mai had existed in Japan by 1994, two years after her debut.[331] According to Kotaku's Ashcraft writing in 2010, "Mai is one of the most popular and recognisable fighting game characters. Her image has been recreated in countless figurines and endless fan art."[332] Japanese arcade gaming magazine Gamest named her as one of the best characters for at least five consecutive years in its annual awards, placing her second in 1994, tenth in 1995, 21st in 1996, 28th in 1997, and 25th in 1998.[333] It was similar in the Japanese Neo Geo magazine Neo Geo Freak, where she was for example third in 1998;[334] Mai had been also voted the most popular female Neo Geo character by the female readers of Neo Geo Freak in 1997.[335] Mai was the most-illustrated character in a 2009 fan art contest held by SNK Playmore and art website Pixiv to commemorate the fifteenth anniversary of the King of Fighters series.[336][337] Mai was declared the 11th top video game heroine from the 1990s by Japanese magazine Famitsu in 2015,[338] and landed fourth in their and SNK's joint poll for the most popular Neo Geo character in 2018.[339] She was also voted the second most sexy fighting game character in history in a 2018 Japanese poll.[340]

Like it or not, Mai Shiranui is the most popular character from The King of Fighters. Yes, Kyo Kusanagi and Iori Yagami are the ostensible mainstays, and Terry Bogard was the hero of the precursor Fatal Fury titles, but it's Mai that everyone remembers for one reason or another. And it's Mai who gets the most merchandise, Mai whose absence from The King of Fighters XII set off a fan chorus of "No Mai, no buy," and Mai who crosses over to other series.[341]
— Todd Ciolek, Anime News Network, 2016

UGO Team commented in 2008, "the over-endowed, perpetually jiggling Mai has become not only a mascot for SNK's King of Fighters series, but also for the whole company. ... Mai is an unapologetic sex symbol ... While some decry Mai's ubiquitousness as pandering fan service, we're more than happy to pick up the yearly iterations of the King of Fighters franchise just to get fresh hands on this fetching fighter.[342] Destructoid's editor-in-chief Dale North named "Terry and Andy Bogard, and the ever-bouncy Mai Shiranui" as the most popular of all characters from the Fatal Fury series,[343] while China's Xinhua News Agency called Mai the most important female role in the history of SNK.[344] In Brazil, Megagames retrospectively included her among the seven female characters who "dominated" the PlayStation 1 era in 2002[345] and Nintendo World rated her as the best female character in the GameCube fighting games in 2003, rating her a perfect 10/10.[346] Kotaku's Luke Plunkett included her among the possible candidates for the title of the greatest video game character of all time in 2010,[347] and Pembroke Daily Observer chose her among the 32 contenders for the title of "ultimate fighting game champion" in 2012.[348] Similarly, in 2013, Spanish magazine Games Tribune described her as not only one of the most admired characters of SNK but also in the entire history of video games.[349] Chilean publication CerUno ranked Mai as the sixth-most memorable heroine in their 2008 top-ten listing,[350] In 2010, China's Mop.com included Mai on their list of ten strongest women in video games[351] while Vietnamese website XãLuận.com included her among the five most famous heroines in gaming,[352] and the Spanish edition of IGN ranked Mai as the eight top female video game character in 2012 and further described her as "one of the biggest legends of the '90s."[353] Engadget's Colin Torretta opined "The King of Fighters games come heavily recommended … if only for Mai Shiranui,"[354] and IGN Italy stated they "all love" her.[355] SNK's own The King of Fighters XIV premium artbook described her as "particularly popular with people overseas".

Mai Shiranui has drawn comparisons to the fighting-game genre's other early female icon, Street Fighter's Chun-Li,[316][356][357] with whom she shared the "Top Girls" entry in a 1994 ranking of fighting games by a Spanish magazine Hobby Consolas.[358] UGO Networks declared Mai the "Chun-Li of the SNK universe",[359] and Ed Laurence of Sinclair User wrote in 1993 that she was able to "out-Chun Li Chun Li."[360] Previewing Capcom vs. SNK 2, GameSpot's Justin Speer wrote about its "beautiful and powerful females such as Chun-Li and Mai,"[361] and Rich Knight of Complex pitted the characters against each other in his 2011 "battle of the beauties" feature, stating: "Breasts or legs? Personally, we'll take 'em both."[362] In ScrewAttack's "Death Battle!" series the same year, Mai, dubbed "the queen of fighters", defeated Chun-Li due to her greater nimbleness and superior ranged attack abilities.[8] Mai Shiranui is also popular in Korea,[363] where she received 62% of votes to Chun-Li's 19% in a 2009 South Korean online poll held on White Day, in which fans voted for their "most wanted" female fighting-game character.[364] According to Crunchyroll's Nate Ming in 2016, Mai has continued to represent "SNK, Fatal Fury, and KoF in the same way that Chun-li [represents] Street Fighter."[365] That same year, Aleksander Borszowski of Polish magazine CD-Action described Mai as the "second dame" of 2D fighting behind Chun-Li.[366] Joystiq's Richard Mitchell stated: "There is one thing Street Fighter will never have, and that's Mai."[367]

Mai has additionally drawn comparisons to other mainstream female game characters such as Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)[368] and Ivy Valentine (Soulcalibur),[369] as well as to some others such as Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon).[370] A 1997 article in Game On! USA, highlighted Chun Li, Mai Shiranui, Michelle Chang (Tekken) and Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) as "video game characters who have marked the near absurd level of popularity of females in video games."[371] Mexican publication Chilango grouped "Lara Croft/Chun Li/Mai Shiranui" together at the top of their list of "the women we have dreamed of in the nineties."[372] Sara Sundman of ScrewAttack Magazine used Mai as an example of well-animated fan service breasts that move around realistically as she moves in games, unlike in some other cases such as that of DOA's Kasumi,[373] and GamePro likened her with Taki from Soulcalibur as "a gravity-defying marvel of science and physicality."[279] Kurt Katala of Hardcore Gaming 101 called the Street Fighter's Maki Genryusai a "sexy Mai Shiranui ripoff", despite Maki having debuted only in Final Fight 2 in 1993.[374] Comparisons between Mai and Maki have been made by other sources, including GameSpot,[361] CNET,[375] and IGN.[376] Iroha from SNK's own Samurai Shodown VI was described as this game's "equivalent of Mai Shiranui" by Siliconera.[377] Márcio Pacheco Alexsandro of Brazil's GameHall placed Mai at number one spot in his list of top female ninja characters in games, comparing her to Mortal Kombat's Kitana in regards of their shared use of fans as a weapon, and noting her as an equal of Chun-Li within the fighting genre.[378] Mai has also appeared on several other lists of top ninja characters in video games, including by CrunchGear in 2008,[379] GamePro in 2010,[279] and Arcade Sushi in 2013.[380] UGO listed her among the "hot ninja girls" in all entertainment,[27] Gelo Gonzales from the Filipino edition of FHM included Mai among the nine "sexiest ninja babes in games",[381] and Complex placed her at number one in its list of "hot female killers" in video games.[382]

In addition to her popularity with male fans, Mai has been a personal choice for some female gamers, such as Dawn Hughes of The Lakeland Mirror, who favorited Mai due to her costumes and being "fast, agile, and sexy,"[383] and Seraphina Brennan of Joystiq, who wrote in 2009 that "throughout all of the countless MMOs that we've played, we've always asked ourselves one important question: Where is Mai Shiranui and why can't I be her?"[384] SNK Playmore's decision to feature Mai only in an unplayable cameo in 2009's The King of Fighters XII was met with media criticism[65][385][386] and an fan backlash[387][388][389][390][391] sparking the meme phrase "no Mai, no buy".[341][392] Shane Bettenhausen, director of business development for game publisher UTV Ignition Entertainment, likened the omission to Capcom leaving Chun-Li out of the original release of Street Fighter III,[385] while Destructoid's Jim Sterling compared it to "releasing Street Fighter without Ryu."[393] GameSpot's Andrew Park noted "the conspicuous absence of SNK's iconic female ninja/geisha girl"[394] and Siliconera opined that "SNK isn't going to make that mistake again" in omitting Mai from future releases.[395] Adam Biessener of Game Informer said of Mai's return: "Sometimes fan service is all a franchise needs to stay relevant—and SNK Playmore is certainly delivering that."[396]

All of that is cited for for. Like, I get asked for sources for all my statements, and I provide them, yet you guys go out and make opposite claims with absolutely no proof at all. What evidence do you have that Mai isn't popular at all or not as iconic as Chun Li? When numerous journalism outlets have given her that label, and even game devs have acknowledged her status as Chun-Li's cultural rival:

1561937477005.png

I think arguing against Mai's status as a cultural icon in gaming is dumb, considering it's self-evident given the mountains of evidence and numerous labels she's been given, as well as her cultural prominence OUTSIDE of SNK and gaming.

Hot take.

If measures were taken to cover up FemCorrin’s thighs, Palutena’s legs, and even Mythra’s legs, I don’t see how Mai Shiranui would work.

I for one get frustrated with censorship, sure. If the original creator had a particular design, then that design should be honored. Let’s be fair though, if Mai’s design is certainly that iconic, and altering that iconic design would get in the way, then I simply don’t see it happening.

We all know it would, especially considering the precedent. If it happened with thighs and bare legs, you can’t tell me a woman with highly exposed thighs, legs, and obviously large breasts (leading to a sexualized design when combined) is getting into Smash unscathed.

Sure, Bayonetta, Zero Suit Samus and others are seen as “sexy”. But they’re covered up in Smash. Bayonetta is at some point or another nude in her own game. She is fully clothed in Smash at all times, even when the wicked weaves strip some clothing away.

It’s a pretty big difference, if you ask me. I have nothing against the character, as she may be entirely unique and interesting to play as. I also, again, may be underestimating just how big SNK and their games are, but I simply see this as a hurdle for the character in question.
See, now this is something I agree with.

Could Mai's sexuality be an obstacle given previous measures taken to censor characters in Smash? Yes.

But it's the same thing as the "gun" argument presented against characters before Joker finally got in with a fully realistic gun. Smash is constantly pushing the envelope and boundaries on previous statements. Additionally, we know for a fact that Mai's sexuality only elevates a game's rating to T in the west, and CERO (B?) in Asia. It's not something as objectionable as many people make it out to be, doubly so if we consider that Nintendo's standards regarding those sorts of things have indeed changed. Whereas games in the past would be censored, we're seeing a lot less of that now, even in the localized versions of them. Moreover, it seems a bit hypocritical to me, considering people are more than happy of that boundary being pushed in favor of Doomguy, who's extreme violence are a core identity of the character, and who would need WAY more changes to his identity to make it in, but Mai's harmless sexuality is something that is seen as "morally objectionable" by people.

I'm not pointing fingers at you btw Schol, I think so far you've made the only good rgument, and the only one I can agree with.

To counter I will say this:

We don't know. We don't know the internal policies of Nintendo regarding this, we don't know how much they'd be willing to budge, or how much they actually care. I guess it would come down to how iconic Mai is VS how objectionable her sexuality would ultimately be in regard to elevating the game's rating.

It certainly doesn't close the door on her though.

That said, it should be noted that DLC is rated separately from a game, and Joker's gun is something that would already elevate a game's rating to T in the west, yet, there he is, and the game is stil rated E. I think Mai's sexuality isn't something that would really affect the game's rating overall. Now it's true Bayonetta was changed, despite being a DLC character, but that was 4-5 years ago, Nintendo has changed in that time frame, and is under different leadership. We ultimately don't know what they might be ok with and what they wouldn't be.

But it's not somthing that dooms the charactr imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Smash 6 might end up cutting a bunch of characters. Sakurai himself claimed that it is unlikely that they would bring everyone back again.

D

Deleted member

By DFO I assume you are referring to Dungeon Fighter Online, but the only thing I could find regarding Mai was a mod of her being in the game, and an unrelated character referred to as Shiranui. Maybe you can find a reliable source of her being in the game? Because I sure can’t.

I’m also gonna need a source on her being the most coaplayed character of all time; that’s a bold claim.

Bayonetta was said to be the most requested character in the fighter ballot in Europe and was among the top 5 in the U.S.; they didn’t even mention how high she ranked in Asia. Also Street Fighter 2 and Final Fantasy 7 sold phenomenally well in the west and Ryu and Cloud are loved over here too.

Sakurai said he likes to include characters that are revered by players around the world, and that Cloud and Final Fantasy was an instance of this. Dragon Quest was the first franchise where the Japanese popularity was overwhelmingly bigger than the western popularity, but it makes sense since Dragon Quest is about on par with Mario and Pokémon in Japan.

Again, they tend to add characters that appease Japanese and Western fans. They’ve never added a character to appease fans in Asian countries outside of Japan, because they don’t make much of a profit from them. Now maybe I’m underestimating her popularity in Japan, but I feel like there are other characters Japan would prefer.
I have to go, but have this:

Mai Shiranui (不知火 舞, Shiranui Mai) is a character from both the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series of fighting games by SNK. Her official nickname is The Alluring Ninja Girl (魅惑 の 女忍者, Miwaku no Kunoichi). [5] [6]

Due to Mai's vast popularity among fans; she has been in most promotional art, game art, themes, and merchandise out of any character making her the female mascot and sex symbol of SNK. Mai was rated #4 in GameSpy.com's "Top Ten Babes in Games" feature and #5 in Game Informer's "Top Ten Hottest Girls of the 16-Bit era." Along with the many figures and merchandise that have been made in her image, she has made an outside game appearance in the spin off series Queens Gate. Her great reputation has also influenced other female fighters in other fighting games, mainly Dead or Alive in which Mai herself makes an appearance in the fifth and sixth installlments.

And this:
She was added as a player character to a Korean multiplayer beat 'em up Dungeon Fighter Online in 2010,[134]

"766DNF模型团新作 格斗变身不知火舞DNF_地下城与勇士_766DNF专区". Dnf.766.com. 2013-04-24. Retrieved 2016-01-01.

Ultimately you're trying to argue against the character's status as a gaming icon, which again, I think is a dumb stance because it's self-evident. Out of the SNK cast, Mai is the one whose prominence exists beyond KoF and gaming, given the merch and cosplay she pushes. Her status is self-evident.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mai Shiranui's sex appeal escalated her popularity in Japan and worldwide, while the character herself is regarded as a female icon of SNK.[22] Play Time claimed that "already a cult" of Mai had existed in Japan by 1994, two years after her debut.[331] According to Kotaku's Ashcraft writing in 2010, "Mai is one of the most popular and recognisable fighting game characters. Her image has been recreated in countless figurines and endless fan art."[332] Japanese arcade gaming magazine Gamest named her as one of the best characters for at least five consecutive years in its annual awards, placing her second in 1994, tenth in 1995, 21st in 1996, 28th in 1997, and 25th in 1998.[333] It was similar in the Japanese Neo Geo magazine Neo Geo Freak, where she was for example third in 1998;[334] Mai had been also voted the most popular female Neo Geo character by the female readers of Neo Geo Freak in 1997.[335] Mai was the most-illustrated character in a 2009 fan art contest held by SNK Playmore and art website Pixiv to commemorate the fifteenth anniversary of the King of Fighters series.[336][337] Mai was declared the 11th top video game heroine from the 1990s by Japanese magazine Famitsu in 2015,[338] and landed fourth in their and SNK's joint poll for the most popular Neo Geo character in 2018.[339] She was also voted the second most sexy fighting game character in history in a 2018 Japanese poll.[340]

Like it or not, Mai Shiranui is the most popular character from The King of Fighters. Yes, Kyo Kusanagi and Iori Yagami are the ostensible mainstays, and Terry Bogard was the hero of the precursor Fatal Fury titles, but it's Mai that everyone remembers for one reason or another. And it's Mai who gets the most merchandise, Mai whose absence from The King of Fighters XII set off a fan chorus of "No Mai, no buy," and Mai who crosses over to other series.[341]

UGO Team commented in 2008, "the over-endowed, perpetually jiggling Mai has become not only a mascot for SNK's King of Fighters series, but also for the whole company. ... Mai is an unapologetic sex symbol ... While some decry Mai's ubiquitousness as pandering fan service, we're more than happy to pick up the yearly iterations of the King of Fighters franchise just to get fresh hands on this fetching fighter.[342] Destructoid's editor-in-chief Dale North named "Terry and Andy Bogard, and the ever-bouncy Mai Shiranui" as the most popular of all characters from the Fatal Fury series,[343] while China's Xinhua News Agency called Mai the most important female role in the history of SNK.[344] In Brazil, Megagames retrospectively included her among the seven female characters who "dominated" the PlayStation 1 era in 2002[345] and Nintendo World rated her as the best female character in the GameCube fighting games in 2003, rating her a perfect 10/10.[346] Kotaku's Luke Plunkett included her among the possible candidates for the title of the greatest video game character of all time in 2010,[347] and Pembroke Daily Observer chose her among the 32 contenders for the title of "ultimate fighting game champion" in 2012.[348] Similarly, in 2013, Spanish magazine Games Tribune described her as not only one of the most admired characters of SNK but also in the entire history of video games.[349] Chilean publication CerUno ranked Mai as the sixth-most memorable heroine in their 2008 top-ten listing,[350] In 2010, China's Mop.com included Mai on their list of ten strongest women in video games[351] while Vietnamese website XãLuận.com included her among the five most famous heroines in gaming,[352] and the Spanish edition of IGN ranked Mai as the eight top female video game character in 2012 and further described her as "one of the biggest legends of the '90s."[353] Engadget's Colin Torretta opined "The King of Fighters games come heavily recommended … if only for Mai Shiranui,"[354] and IGN Italy stated they "all love" her.[355] SNK's own The King of Fighters XIV premium artbook described her as "particularly popular with people overseas".

Mai Shiranui has drawn comparisons to the fighting-game genre's other early female icon, Street Fighter's Chun-Li,[316][356][357] with whom she shared the "Top Girls" entry in a 1994 ranking of fighting games by a Spanish magazine Hobby Consolas.[358] UGO Networks declared Mai the "Chun-Li of the SNK universe",[359] and Ed Laurence of Sinclair User wrote in 1993 that she was able to "out-Chun Li Chun Li."[360] Previewing Capcom vs. SNK 2, GameSpot's Justin Speer wrote about its "beautiful and powerful females such as Chun-Li and Mai,"[361] and Rich Knight of Complex pitted the characters against each other in his 2011 "battle of the beauties" feature, stating: "Breasts or legs? Personally, we'll take 'em both."[362] In ScrewAttack's "Death Battle!" series the same year, Mai, dubbed "the queen of fighters", defeated Chun-Li due to her greater nimbleness and superior ranged attack abilities.[8] Mai Shiranui is also popular in Korea,[363] where she received 62% of votes to Chun-Li's 19% in a 2009 South Korean online poll held on White Day, in which fans voted for their "most wanted" female fighting-game character.[364] According to Crunchyroll's Nate Ming in 2016, Mai has continued to represent "SNK, Fatal Fury, and KoF in the same way that Chun-li [represents] Street Fighter."[365] That same year, Aleksander Borszowski of Polish magazine CD-Action described Mai as the "second dame" of 2D fighting behind Chun-Li.[366] Joystiq's Richard Mitchell stated: "There is one thing Street Fighter will never have, and that's Mai."[367]

Mai has additionally drawn comparisons to other mainstream female game characters such as Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)[368] and Ivy Valentine (Soulcalibur),[369] as well as to some others such as Sailor Mars (Sailor Moon).[370] A 1997 article in Game On! USA, highlighted Chun Li, Mai Shiranui, Michelle Chang (Tekken) and Jill Valentine (Resident Evil) as "video game characters who have marked the near absurd level of popularity of females in video games."[371] Mexican publication Chilango grouped "Lara Croft/Chun Li/Mai Shiranui" together at the top of their list of "the women we have dreamed of in the nineties."[372] Sara Sundman of ScrewAttack Magazine used Mai as an example of well-animated fan service breasts that move around realistically as she moves in games, unlike in some other cases such as that of DOA's Kasumi,[373] and GamePro likened her with Taki from Soulcalibur as "a gravity-defying marvel of science and physicality."[279] Kurt Katala of Hardcore Gaming 101 called the Street Fighter's Maki Genryusai a "sexy Mai Shiranui ripoff", despite Maki having debuted only in Final Fight 2 in 1993.[374] Comparisons between Mai and Maki have been made by other sources, including GameSpot,[361] CNET,[375] and IGN.[376] Iroha from SNK's own Samurai Shodown VI was described as this game's "equivalent of Mai Shiranui" by Siliconera.[377] Márcio Pacheco Alexsandro of Brazil's GameHall placed Mai at number one spot in his list of top female ninja characters in games, comparing her to Mortal Kombat's Kitana in regards of their shared use of fans as a weapon, and noting her as an equal of Chun-Li within the fighting genre.[378] Mai has also appeared on several other lists of top ninja characters in video games, including by CrunchGear in 2008,[379] GamePro in 2010,[279] and Arcade Sushi in 2013.[380] UGO listed her among the "hot ninja girls" in all entertainment,[27] Gelo Gonzales from the Filipino edition of FHM included Mai among the nine "sexiest ninja babes in games",[381] and Complex placed her at number one in its list of "hot female killers" in video games.[382]

In addition to her popularity with male fans, Mai has been a personal choice for some female gamers, such as Dawn Hughes of The Lakeland Mirror, who favorited Mai due to her costumes and being "fast, agile, and sexy,"[383] and Seraphina Brennan of Joystiq, who wrote in 2009 that "throughout all of the countless MMOs that we've played, we've always asked ourselves one important question: Where is Mai Shiranui and why can't I be her?"[384] SNK Playmore's decision to feature Mai only in an unplayable cameo in 2009's The King of Fighters XII was met with media criticism[65][385][386] and an fan backlash[387][388][389][390][391] sparking the meme phrase "no Mai, no buy".[341][392] Shane Bettenhausen, director of business development for game publisher UTV Ignition Entertainment, likened the omission to Capcom leaving Chun-Li out of the original release of Street Fighter III,[385] while Destructoid's Jim Sterling compared it to "releasing Street Fighter without Ryu."[393] GameSpot's Andrew Park noted "the conspicuous absence of SNK's iconic female ninja/geisha girl"[394] and Siliconera opined that "SNK isn't going to make that mistake again" in omitting Mai from future releases.[395] Adam Biessener of Game Informer said of Mai's return: "Sometimes fan service is all a franchise needs to stay relevant—and SNK Playmore is certainly delivering that."[396]

All of that is cited for for. Like, I get asked for sources for all my statements, and I provide them, yet you guys go out and make opposite claims with absolutely no proof at all. What evidence do you have that Mai isn't popular at all or not as iconic as Chun Li? When numerous journalism outlets have given her that label, and even game devs have acknowledged her status as Chun-Li's cultural rival:

View attachment 229672

I think arguing against Mai's status as a cultural icon in gaming is dumb, considering it's self-evident given the mountains of evidence and numerous labels she's been given, as well as her cultural prominence OUTSIDE of SNK and gaming.

See, now this is something I agree with.

Could Mai's sexuality be an obstacle given previous measures taken to censor characters in Smash? Yes.

But it's the same thing as the "gun" argument presented against characters before Joker finally got in with a fully realistic gun. Smash is constantly pushing the envelope and boundaries on previous statements. Additionally, we know for a fact that Mai's sexuality only elevates a game's rating to T in the west, and CERO (B?) in Asia. It's not something as objectionable as many people make it out to be, doubly so if we consider that Nintendo's standards regarding those sorts of things have indeed changed. Whereas games in the past would be censored, we're seeing a lot less of that now, even in the localized versions of them. Moreover, it seems a bit hypocritical to me, considering people are more than happy of that boundary being pushed in favor of Doomguy, who's extreme violence are a core identity of the character, and who would need WAY more changes to his identity to make it in, but Mai's harmless sexuality is something that is seen as "morally objectionable" by people.

I'm not pointing fingers at you btw Schol, I think so far you've made the only good rgument, and the only one I can agree with.

To counter I will say this:

We don't know. We don't know the internal policies of Nintendo regarding this, we don't know how much they'd be willing to budge, or how much they actually care. I guess it would come down to how iconic Mai is VS how objectionable her sexuality would ultimately be in regard to elevating the game's rating.

It certainly doesn't close the door on her though.

That said, it should be noted that DLC is rated separately from a game, and Joker's gun is something that would already elevate a game's rating to T in the west, yet, there he is, and the game is stil rated E. I think Mai's sexuality isn't something that would really affect the game's rating overall. Now it's true Bayonetta was changed, despite being a DLC character, but that was 4-5 years ago, Nintendo has changed in that time frame, and is under different leadership. We ultimately don't know what they might be ok with and what they wouldn't be.

But it's not somthing that dooms the charactr imo.
I just wanted to point out that DLC does, in fact, affect the rating. After Bayonetta was released for Smash 4, ESRB upped it from Mild Suggestive Themes to just Suggestive Themes.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just wanna say, RE deserves the Castlevania treatment.
There would be no other 3rd party series more fitting for the next iteration of Smash.
Its gonna happen, I have no doubt about it, but we shouldn't rush things.

And yes, you can argue its the same for DQ but you gotta remember, its Square Enix we're talking about, they're protective with their IPs and getting revenue from DLC may be a better business for them than just license the character to be in the base roster, the reason Cloud is in Ultimate is probably because of this.
Honestly, that's exactly why I think they should be added now.

Sure, give them the Castlevania treatment. But if they wait until the next Smash that's...like, who knows when? If I'm Sakurai (which I'm not, bless that man) I'm going big now while I have all of these properties in the same game.

At least, that's what I would do. I'd say, "No other game will ever be able to say they're the "biggest gaming crossover" ever, especially if all of those boxes are checked.

I'm all aboard the Leon or Jill and Lloyd Irving train. But if we only got one, I'd probably go for Resident Evil. It just has so much to offer for a crossover like Smash, I can't get over it!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just wanted to point out that DLC does, in fact, affect the rating. After Bayonetta was released for Smash 4, ESRB upped it from Mild Suggestive Themes to just Suggestive Themes.
Wait hold up, turns out I may have been wrong on this lol.

Regardless though, the ESRB actually does give DLC a separate rating if it exceeds what's in the base game.
Screenshot_20190630-195921~2.png

The last sentence confirms it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We still on the Mai Shiranui topic? Please, drop it, I beg of you. It’s the same circular arguments over and over

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
All right, my picks in this scenario (Smash 6 in 2026, no further DLC for Ultimate, based on what I feel is semi-likely) would be:

76. [Reserved for new IP, if not] Waluigi
77. Master Chief
78. Sukapon
79. Krystal
80. Gen 10 / 11 Pokemon
81. Crash Bandicoot
82. [Likewise reserved for new IP, if not] FE17 protagonist
83. Takamaru
84. Jody Summers / Black Shadow
85. Squid Sisters
86. Mother 4 Protagonist or Porky
87. Geno
88. (Pure oddball pick) League of Legends rep, such as Ahri.
ok i don't mean to be rude but
"mother 4 protagonist"
they're not making a mother 4, my bro
(the fangame of the same name was canceled anyways upon Nintendo orders)
but porky would be great

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know what newcomers would be included in Smash 6, considering that the game is most likely many years away.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If SNK gets a character to begin with its largely going to be a Sakurai bias pick like Joker or the Akira Assist Trophy were rather than anything based off of either star power like Ryu or fan requests like Banjo so any arguing over which KoF/SNK is the most popular/deserving is pretty much pointless.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Did you seriously just copy-paste a section of her Wikipedia article? Elexis Sinclaire from SiN has a similar section, I don't find that a very high standard for iconicness.

That ultimately all feels like anecdotal evidence, most of those sources are either about her sexiness or about top lists of characters. The reality is that Street Fighter II sold over 14 million copies, is one of the most successful arcade games, and is singlehandedly responsible for the popularity of the fighting game. King of Fighters is and always was niche, so yeah, no character from it can even match one of the World Warriors in iconicness. This isn't a knock, I love KoF, but it's just an unrealistic comparison.

You can quote 'Top 30 best video game ladies of the 90s' articles all you want, but at the end of the day, ask around and you'll be hard pressed to find many people who know Mai.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
From what I heard it wasn't canceled by Nintendo, but rebranded. No idea on it's current status though.
Wasn't that a fan project though? I think they got a C&D and thus are remaking the game to be an original IP. Like a spiritual successor.

EDIT: Whoops, saw the original post you were answering to. Sorry, but, yeah, that's about it.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
also while my internet is still good and not being destroyed by tornadoes I will say real quick

I had a vague idea of who most suggested picks here were before looking into them, but I had literally no idea who Mai was prior to this forum. Take my small viewpoint with a grain of salt tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom