• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Honestly when it comes a new Nintendo first party character, I am in the camp that thinks if we get one it would be from an unannounced game.

All of Fighters pass 1 went for the main characters and I think its likely FP2 will do the same and right now we already got BOTW2's main character, and a Sword and Shield Spirit Board, I would not hold my breath for either of them.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Welp tomorrow is going to be judgement day. We are either going to get a direct announcement or no announcement and then certain sources will get pummeled to the ground. If we get no direct this week, I'm going to laugh. This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
For me what deconfirms a Gen 8 rep, is that they used the legendaries in the spirit board event. I would have seen Rilaboom for obvious starter triangle reasons, and I'm not worried by any of the other spirits they've used in the event, but those legendaries hurt because of how they'd then have to build the new pokemon's spirit board. What would be used as legendary spirits then? Gigantamax versions of rarer pokemons? Human protagonists like the final boss of the league? There are alternatives, but those legendary pokemons were the obvious choices.

And that comes from someone who would be fine with another pokemon rep. At least they tend to be cutesy and not humanoid, which we need more of if most Fighter Pass characters end up being humans like in Fighter Pass 1.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
A New Horizons spirit event would make sense as they could promote the game through the event, especially since it just recently came out.

Now if you want to go for something truly woke, then there is always that possibility that we could see a "Vroom in the Night Sky" or "Life of Black Tiger" spirit event to prove that anyone can get spirited away, even from universally panned games.
Ninjabread Man Spirit

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Welp tomorrow is going to be judgement day. We are either going to get a direct announcement or no announcement and then certain sources will get pummeled to the ground. If we get no direct this week, I'm going to laugh. This is getting absolutely ridiculous.
Okay, show of hands, who actually believes that we're getting a Direct this week? Because while, sure, it would be nice to finally get something new, the past six months without any major news blow-out for Nintendo (outside of game-specific Directs) has left me really doubtful towards anything happening.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If we do get a Direct, and a reveal this week, I have a strong feeling it's either Shantae, or Sakura. As for a Pokemon rep I'd love to have Garchomp (feat. Cynthia) but for Gen 8 give me Cinderace.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
For me what deconfirms a Gen 8 rep, is that they used the legendaries in the spirit board event. I would have seen Rilaboom for obvious starter triangle reasons, and I'm not worried by any of the other spirits they've used in the event, but those legendaries hurt because of how they'd then have to build the new pokemon's spirit board. What would be used as legendary spirits then? Gigantamax versions of rarer pokemons? Human protagonists like the final boss of the league? There are alternatives, but those legendary pokemons were the obvious choices.

And that comes from someone who would be fine with another pokemon rep. At least they tend to be cutesy and not humanoid, which we need more of if most Fighter Pass characters end up being humans like in Fighter Pass 1.
They could use Eternatus as a legendary spirit.

Or Pika Chungus.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
And of course, your opinion is largely influenced by whether or not you're interested in _____. It's easy to say we aren't getting _____ when you have no desire to see _____ in this upcoming pass. Same goes for people who think we'll get _____.
This is a really nice blanket statement honestly

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's funny is that the only reason I'm still somewhat envisioning a Gen 8 rep is due to my small pessimism about the DLC in general. 11 Fighters Pass characters with FE and Pokemon as the only first party reps in it feels so on brand for Nintendo right now that its precisely what my (admittedly cynical) mind is expecting.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm guessing it's partly because Byleth - "Another Corrin" - was chosen. And not (practically) Edelgard / Dmitri / Claude - the characters people flocked around.
Generally it may come down to numbers. Even ignoring how Three Houses was a far less controversial game, and as such people would be especially drawn to it getting a character, there was at most four feasible characters for it: Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude. Like, at most. So if you liked those four well enough, a Three Houses character as a concept would be something you're more open to.

Pokémon is far less concrete. They could go for the three starters. They could go for one of the box legends. They could go for a popular or pushed Mon like Toxtricity or Dragapult. In short, there are a lot more options, so just saying "a Gen VIII Pokémon" doesn't really mean as much.
To be fair, I don't think they really care about their choices being "controversial". So far the only two first parties in DLC were a joke character from Mario and a FE character chosen before their game was even out.

Plus, there's the fact that people were already professing their want for not just a TH or SwSh character, but also Ring Fit and Astral Chain before all of them were even launched. So the point of "but people latched on to a few specific choices" doesn't seem to make a big difference at all.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Okay, show of hands, who actually believes that we're getting a Direct this week? Because while, sure, it would be nice to finally get something new, the past six months without any major news blow-out for Nintendo (outside of game-specific Directs) has left me really doubtful towards anything happening.
Still confident with something Thursday.

If we do get a Direct, and a reveal this week, I have a strong feeling it's either Shantae, or Sakura. As for a Pokemon rep I'd love to have Garchomp (feat. Cynthia) but for Gen 8 give me Cinderace.
You mean Sakura for Sakura wars? I get that she have a game coming soon but I don't see her getting in before Arle or Yakuza.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'd be down for a Gen 8 rep, Grimmsnarl and Mr. Rime would be very unique, and I'm not opposed to the others. I might be a bit disappointed with Rillaboom (he's the first grass starter since :154: I didn't pick), but I'm not vehemently disgusted by him like I was with... another starter. But due to the spirit event, I can't see a base game SWSH rep happening. There'd be no difficulty in making a new board without those Pokemon, but the intent is there: SWSH was represented. I could, however, see one of the post-release Pokemon, like Urshifu, happening. They have the advantage of being able to be branded as "SWSH expansion pass" reps. I also think a Mystery Dungeon rep is a solid possibility, but I've rambled about that enough.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I got an email from nintendo talking about the Fighters Pass 2... i think this means we should be getting the reveal soon

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Still confident with something Thursday.

You mean Sakura for Sakura wars? I get that she have a game coming soon but I don't see her getting in before Arle or Yakuza.
It's just a strong hunch of mine. I personally think Sakura has what it takes to lead this fighter pass, or be just as likely as Arle or Yakuza, but if they get in before Sakura, then no hard feelings, I'll be happy for you.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I got an email from nintendo talking about the Fighters Pass 2... i think this means we should be getting the reveal soon
Got the same e-mail myself. I'm not typically one to look for patterns (especially given the wild goose chases this game has sent so many of us on) but it does seem rather interesting that after no Smash e-mails since Byleth/2nd fighter pass being put on sale, that this suddenly shows up.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where we’d get an AT promotion as the next DLC character, but it was Spring Man?

D

Deleted member

What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where we’d get an AT promotion as the next DLC character, but it was Spring Man?
I'd just accept it, at least his series is getting proper reprsentation. And it sets the bar high.

Heck, it brings back the Waluigi cult into the scene.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i mean Sakurai did also apologize for Spring Man not being playable like he did for Rex...

RIP Rex fans tho, an AT gets promoted before their costume boi

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd be excited. The world of ARMS is something I'd definitely want to see represented on the roster. Plus, Spring Man himself has a gimmick that not many characters outside his own franchise would be able to replicate, so he'd be pretty unique in that regard.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Would be mostly neutral, don’t really care for Springman as a character but he might have an interesting move set. Getting ARMS music would be nice, don’t know why not a single song got into base game.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Meh, he's incredibly basic and boring, having more reach (yet again) isn't exciting in the slightest.
He's only interesting in terms of "Oh neat, ATs are on the table"

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
He's only interesting in terms of "Oh neat, ATs are on the table"
Just like how Corrin and Byleth were only interesting in terms of "Oh neat, first parties are on the table"?

Springman at least can curve practically all of his moves, so he has reach but incredibly specific reach. The different glove types would help too.

D

Deleted member

Within an hour from now, we'll find out if a Spirit Event will happen after Sakurai's Famitsu column on COVID-19. While development is still on hold for the time being, there's still a possibility of a few events happening. About a year ago, someone datamined a Peachette spirit which didn't come out until a few weeks after IICR, so who knows how far these Spirit Events were planned out.

While the rumor about a Direct happening on Thursday is still up in the air, I will say that the release date for MUA3's Shadow of Doom expansion sounds really convenient for a Direct shadow drop. Nintendo could also just put an ad for it on their twitter accounts, but it's pretty much the only hope for an actual Direct happening this week. If it doesn't happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of April Fools jokes for another round of Direct rumors next week.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I'd be neutral that it was Spring Man, sad that it wasn't Lyn, and happy that AT's in general can have a chance to be promoted.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Oh hey I got a promotional e-mail from nintendo reminding me to purchase Fighters Pass 2™ . Either we're getting a direct on thursday with a Smash reveal or Nintendo is getting greedy. Shoo Nintendo, I'm not buying your pass until I see it's contents.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Shoo Nintendo, I'm not buying your pass until I see it's contents.
I really want to see just how many people have gone in and purchased it blindly.
Like damn they better not complain if any one character isn't to their liking.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
No deconfirmations by spirit event this week
This week's theme is pink spirits

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
no deaths tonight!
just pink. lots of pink. cause spring is here!

dammit Seanapotamus Seanapotamus you beat me to it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom