• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
If Sora does get into Smash what stage do think Sakurai would put in, and what stage would you want?

Im sure Sakurai would put in Destiny Island, or maybe Twilight Town just to have an excuse to run people over with a another vehicle/form of transportation.

Me, I'd like to see Scala ad Caelum or The Final World
Keyblade Graveyard kinda seems like a fitting battlefield, in my opinion. Odds are it could be that or Destiny Islands, OR if we want a new Kalos-esque stage, then the Station of Awakening could work, too.

So, is Sora the most wanted character? Well, to be honest, I don't think so, there's a notable amount of people who hate him, hate KH, or hate Disney. But at the same time most characters are at least somewhat controversial. I would say that he is a fan favorite, and I think it's easy to agree that at the very least he's one of the most wanted third party characters and has been for at least a while.
At this point, ANY choice will spark controversy. That being said....I don't care anymore who goes in, really. Sora's honestly...a big plus for me, but apart of me will ALWAYS just think that Disney'll make SOME roadblock to ensure Sora won't get in...or some catch on the chance that Sora DOES get in.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I saw the discussion about Assist Trophy happen here, and well, just wanted to add my own opinion about it

While I don't think it impossible because the system is litteraly there to allow AT upgrades without troubles, I don't think it "likely", BUT! That doesn't mean I would give up on my Most Wanted, who is an AT, and I think that this mentality that support "doesn't matter" because they are an AT is just wrong... Ridley, K Rool, Isabelle, Chrom, Dark Samus, those were all characters that had a Non-playable role last time, and that got in next time thanks to fan support, if people listened to the pessimistic approach of "Stop supporting them, they have a role", we wouldn't have gotten half the fan requests we have today on the roster, so today, like I did in Brawl, like I did in Smash 4 despite her AT, and like I do since Ultimates reveal, I'll be there to support Midna, and make a difference in her popularity, even if she's an AT

It's not the developers that make Assist Trophy a "Kill List".... It's the fan base

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I mean, any complaints about Disney being a ****ty company is negated when you realize half the companies involved have done their own share of bad or shady things (Konami's extreme focus on pachinko and overworked employees, Sugiyama/Atlus' homophobia and Microsoft's willingness to buy over multiple game companies). Like the character, not the corporation behind it and it'll go a long way behind what you like.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I mean, any complaints about Disney being a ****ty company is negated when you realize half the companies involved have done their own share of bad or shady things (Konami's extreme focus on pachinko and overworked employees, Sugiyama/Atlus' homophobia and Microsoft's willingness to buy over multiple game companies). Like the character, not the corporation behind it and it'll go a long way behind what you like.
I hate to say this but those are all small scale compared to Disney. I say this as a huge fan of of their classic films and cartoons. They have become a conglomerate monster. Consuming and consuming and bullying everyony. Just the other day I was reading about how Disney fined a California elementary school for screening the Lion King. Or when they threatened to sue a daycare for some murals.

But yes I agree that you should be able to like their characters without liking the company. I certainly do. But I still don't want that company getting anywhere near Smash.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Just the other day I was reading about how Disney fined a California elementary school for screening the Lion King. Or when they threatened to sue a daycare for some murals.
Tyranny at its finest.

That's dumb. Kids have to watch something.

When I was in elementary school, my class watched Disney classics over and over, especially Lion King.

Good memories. Sucks kids now are being deprived of something like that.

What, the school has to pay per viewing or some ****?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You think this stopped Dark Samus, K.Rool, Chrom, Isabelle and even Ridley fans after their characters got different roles in a previous game? The point is that, there's a chance in another title.

I wasn't even talking about upgrading a character from the same game. If you read my post over again I say "to look beyond the current game." As in, sure Little Mac didn't make it in Brawl, but he's in Smash 4. That's my point. That's what separates someone like K.Rool from Krystal. Because the support didn't die out drastically between games. And it got the character in the next title.
Little Mac's inclusion was based more on the fact that he got an all-new game on Wii in-between Brawl and Smash 4.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Tyranny at its finest.

That's dumb. Kids have to watch something.

When I was in elementary school, my class watched Disney classics over and over, especially Lion King.

Good memories. Sucks kids now are being deprived of something like that.

What, the school has to pay per viewing or some ****?
I looked into this story, and it was because the school was charging money for seeing the movie as a fundraiser. (it was at a PTA event, not in a class) The amount that Disney charged was a licensing fee, though I can't find if Disney did anything to make up for it financially - they apologized, though that's not much (it mainly seemed to be because of the PR backlash).

I think that, if movies are used for educational purposes, there's no legal issue because it falls under fair use. (at least, as long as it can be related to the content being taught, which should be easy enough to do)

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
It seems we won't be getting a direct announcement today given the tweets about the third anniversary of the Switch
Tomorrow is a good bet tho

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I hate to say this but those are all small scale compared to Disney. I say this as a huge fan of of their classic films and cartoons. They have become a conglomerate monster. Consuming and consuming and bullying everyony. Just the other day I was reading about how Disney fined a California elementary school for screening the Lion King. Or when they threatened to sue a daycare for some murals.

But yes I agree that you should be able to like their characters without liking the company. I certainly do. But I still don't want that company getting anywhere near Smash.
I mean a study came out this week about how Nintendo benefits off of Chinese labor camps, so I don't think this holier-than-thou attitude towards Disney doing bad capitalist **** is anything but hypocritical.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
It's time everyone we accept the crushing realisation that there is going to be no Smash Bros news till E3.

D

Deleted member

It's time everyone we accept the crushing realisation that there is going to be no Smash Bros news till E3.
i think we all realized that, or most of us did at least

it's just that nintendo's 2020 plans are almost entirely up in the air right now and we would like to know something besides xcde and ac

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Why I'd love to see Disney go up against Comcast.

Oh how the tides would turn. Disney would be the ones trembling for once in their lifetime knowing the true actual meaning of fear.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Honestly dont mind waiting until E3 for smash stuff. Id like to see new 2020 Nintendo games before E3 though. I can only count like 5 games theure putting out this year, and most of them are remakes. Id think they have at least 1 or 2 big games planned for this year to help Switch stay relevant in the minds of normal people when PS5 and Xbox come out, but it also wouldnt be out of Nintendos character to look at the incoming systems and say "Yeah heres Mario Golf and some amiibos merry Christmas"

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I really don't think the morality of Disney's actions will influence Sora's chances. Basically every company involved in Smash has been involved in some sort of shady business practice.

What I do think will be an issue is Disney's habit of micromanaging their licenses and generally being a pain to work with when licensing out its characters. Just see what happened with MvCI.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Sugiyama/Atlus' homophobia
Kinda want to interject on this because I just finished Catherine last night and
Both Rin/Qatherine and Erica are trans, and Vincent also shows his own tendency towards Rin (who is female presenting but hasn't physically transitioned)
I wouldn't put it all on Atlus about homophobia because I doubt a homophobic company would put out something like that

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Yeah but...people's hopes and dreams carry forward into the NEXT game. That's why people don't stop supporting their characters.
Next game ain't happen for a long time, most like 2-3 years after releasing there next console. It's a long to continue support for a character already dead in the water.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I accidentally posted this on the Geno board, but I'll reiterate here, I think everyone needs to chill with their expectations for a new Direct's date because we did just get one this past week. Disregarding the 161 day drought, Nintendo almost never releases Directs back to back unless it's Pokemon related.

Patience is a virtue, just ask those FromSoft fans who have been waiting a year for anything about Elden Ring

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Kinda want to interject on this because I just finished Catherine last night and
Both Rin/Qatherine and Erica are trans, and Vincent also shows his own tendency towards Rin (who is female presenting but hasn't physically transitioned)
I wouldn't put it all on Atlus about homophobia because I doubt a homophobic company would put out something like that
Yeah nah Erica's entire point in "haha you had sex with a man you're gay now". Moralit isn't important for Smash, Nintendo's currently profiting off of slave labour in China where Muslims are being put in work camps
EDIT: Source https://www.resetera.com/threads/bb...-apple-google-microsoft-nintendo-sony.172923/
Gwen, my tastes are sublime. I want everything you don't want, and I also get who I want too.
IMG_20200217_234621.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Next game ain't happen for a long time, most like 2-3 years after releasing there next console. It's a long to continue support for a character already dead in the water.
Implying my entire life revolves around supporting Bomberman lol.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Yeah nah Erica's entire point in "haha you had sex with a man you're gay now". Moralit isn't important for Smash, Nintendo's currently profiting off of slave labour in China where Muslims are being put in work camps
Up until the end they at least do a good job of presenting both characters as female though. About the only other time in recent memory for me that an honest to goodness trans character was in a piece of Japanese media was Magne from My Hero and I... still feel a little weird about how that character was handled.

I don't know, the whole of Catherine is about bad people anyway (with like, 3 notable exceptions of Katherine, Rin, and Toby), so it wouldn't surprise me if they gave Toby some guff for that

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Up until the end they at least do a good job of presenting both characters as female though. About the only other time in recent memory for me that an honest to goodness trans character was in a piece of Japanese media was Magne from My Hero and I... still feel a little weird about how that character was handled.

I don't know, the whole of Catherine is about bad people anyway (with like, 3 notable exceptions of Katherine, Rin, and Toby), so it wouldn't surprise me if they gave Toby some guff for that
First of all, Atlus has a notorious problem with LGBT treatment since I wanna say Persona 3, second, Katherine is absolutely a bad person
she faked being pregnant, that's genuinely awful and manipulative

M@R!3

Smash Ace
If Sora does get into Smash what stage do think Sakurai would put in, and what stage would you want?

Im sure Sakurai would put in Destiny Island, or maybe Twilight Town just to have an excuse to run people over with a another vehicle/form of transportation.

Me, I'd like to see Scala ad Caelum or The Final World
There's a lot of good choices. Scala, Traverse Town, Twilight Town, Hollow Bastion, TTNW, etc. I'm partial to Scala just for music.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
First of all, Atlus has a notorious problem with LGBT treatment since I wanna say Persona 3, second, Katherine is absolutely a bad person
she faked being pregnant, that's genuinely awful and manipulative
I was under the impression that she was just late, received a false positive test and was running on the assumption that she was pregnant until she found out otherwise. The whole game does take place in a little over a week.

But I personally haven't seen any of the negative treatment in the Atlus games I have played with the exception of that one part in Persona 5 where Ryuji gets harassed. There could totally be more under the surface I'm sure, but from my own perception, I just have not seen it

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
late but heres every character that doesn't use fire or explosives (as far as i know)
:ultdk: :ultyoshi: :ultpikachu: :ultjigglypuff: :ulticeclimbers: :ultdoc: :ultpichu: :ultmarth: :ultlucina: :ultchrom: :ultmetaknight: :ultdarkpit: :ultsquirtle: :ultsonic: :ultrosalina: :ultgreninja: :ultpacman: :ultshulk: :ultcloud:

maybe? :ultmewtwo: :ultpit:

final smashes included

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

late but heres every character that doesn't use fire or explosives (as far as i know)
:ultdk: :ultyoshi: :ultpikachu: :ultjigglypuff: :ultpeach: :ultdaisy: :ulticeclimbers: :ultdoc: :ultpichu: :ultmarth: :ultlucina: :ultmewtwo: :ultchrom: :ultmetaknight: :ultpit: :ultdarkpit: :ultsquirtle: :ultsonic: :ultrosalina: :ultlittlemac: :ultgreninja: :ultpacman: :ultshulk: :ultcloud:
Peach and Daisy can pull out bombs with their down-b
Pit's side-b uses fire.
Little Mac's up-smash for some reason sets people on fire.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

MHA also had a trans man who went by... Tiger? Tora? Iirc. I think he was handled pretty well
and he wasn’t killed off like Magne was

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
MHA also had a trans man who went by... Tiger? Tora? Iirc. I think he was handled pretty well
and he wasn’t killed off like Magne was
Yes! I totally forgot about Tora, which I guess is credit to the character's writing considering how well he passes

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's hilarious how quiet the "I don't want Disney in Smash because of how bad they are" crowd went when it got brought up that Nintendo is profiting off slave labor.
Why I'd love to see Disney go up against Comcast.

Oh how the tides would turn. Disney would be the ones trembling for once in their lifetime knowing the true actual meaning of fear.
Didn't people already tell you before how this is an incredibly stupid way to think? You don't fight a megacorp by making a bigger megacorp. Don't be stupid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom