• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Well, like I said, no reasonable person has expectations of avoiding spoilers on something that old. So we've just determined that you're...not.
Okay, Agatha Christie might have been an exaggeration, especially since her works are discussed in an academic sense and one in particular basically created a popular trope.

My point is genre and notoriety should affect the statute of limitations on spoilers. Is something a mystery story where the only point of actually read/watch/playing it is to see how it all ties together in the end with a crazy twist? In that case, maybe we shouldn't be inconsiderate of other people that still want to experience it unless it's straight up entered the public conscious enough to make it impossible to not know what the twist is.

But Danganronpa has not entered the public conscious to the point its twists are common knowledge. Hell, I'd argue even Phoenix Wright hasn't either and that's even older. These are products still gaining fans, and Danganronpa isn't even that old if we consider when it was officially released in English (2014). Yes, time is going to make it harder to avoid spoilers, but that doesn't mean we should be inconsiderate to people that want to experience it fresh, which is absolutely still possible seeing new streamers managing to go in blind even in 2020.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
At one point when i played 999 i wanted Zero in the game but then I realized it was dumb and then i played the third game and now i dont want Zero at all
Which is why we'll get Phi instead, she's even been seen fighting
PhiKicksDio.gif

Though yeah the third game is easily the worst installment, when I beat the first two games I was thinking about them constantly, going "OH RIGHT THIS WAS FORESHADOWING THAT" or "WOW THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE NOW" for hours, which sucked cause it made me unable to sleep until 2AM on a workday iirc. With Zero Time Dilemma I didn't even ponder for 10 minutes

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Uuuhh no, Mario and Pokemon are tolerated because each one is different both as characters and fighters. Only half the FE character can claim the latter and none of them can claim the former.
The problem with the FE fighters is that they keep adding the main protag from every FE game; characters who are deliberately made to be similar to each other. People would complain about Pokemon, too, if all we got was the regional electric rodent every new smash game.

also imagine thinking Endless Ocean would get a rep before Sea Monsters: a Prehistoric Adventure.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On one hand you should probably just be decent if you're discussing spoilers that aren't "general knowledge" and be discreet if possible, but on the other, I don't really think there's that much ground to stand on if you're complaining about spoilers being discussed of a property that's like a decade or older.

And when it comes to Smash you won't even get half that much time as a grace period.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's another pattern I hope Sakurai will break in the next Smash game. The past three unique FE characters have been avatars. What was orginally a nice change has now become repetitive.

It's like Pokemon starters except you only have one option. It's not a matter of who will get picked, but rather what will their moveset be.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My point is genre and notoriety should affect the statute of limitations on spoilers.
I guess I just don't agree. I just don't think that just because something is obscure, people can't talk about something that's a decade old without fear of someone chastising them about how they talk about it.

Like, would it be nice if they still marked it with spoiler tags? Sure. But they don't deserve to get hassled by people if they chose not to do so.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Of course Slime can use cut:

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."
So you're saying Slime is just an anime swordsman? /s

Regarding the new renders: yeah, it's probably fake, but I think it's interesting nonetheless. I personally believe Naegi would be the choice for a Danganronpa character, but no idea on how he would play - probably something based around the discussion minigames. If we can't get Phoenix, then I think DR would be a cool choice for the genre.

It's good to see something new taking the spotlight.

D

Deleted member

I should be able to wake up tomorrow and find out if the Junko leaker posted more intel.

But I gotta say...

I'm on Team Real.

No seriously I'm on Team Real.

As in, "Team Real, Authentic, Hysterical Laugh of my entire Speculation advocacy because that is not a real thing."

"There's barely a concept."

Well, here we are, buncha jacka****.

Last edited by a moderator:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So when do you guys think we'll get a Direct?
Either this month, e3 or when the coronavirus gets sorted (or controlled) to an extent.
I'm not sure what Nintendo is doing right now but they don't seem to want to take any focus away from animal crossing so we may get a Direct after that launches.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
IT: “I don’t care for this particular franchise, so it’s advertising!”
If I can admit Byleth was pure advertising then you should admit that Incineroar and Greninja were advertisements as well. I'm not saying that to be mean-hearted over Pokemon, I'm just speaking facts here. :mybodyisreggie: Team Rocket and Meowth seem unlikely solely for the string of ad characters, just like how I don't think we'll get an FE7 character as long as they keep continuing making games.

Are you implying Diver wouldn't be dope as **** in Smash?

smh Will when will you open your heart and try out real video games?
Papa's Pizzeria for Smash

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah it's been rather depressing as of late
Not many big games coming out this quarter, I'm expecting more info on BoTW2 and NMH3 among other releases near the second half of the year rather than whatever else in incoming soon like DOOM or AC (unless they're announcing amiibo or other support). Also Xenoblade, gotta see how that's shaping up.

Wish I could make a list about what games would be mentioned in a Direct now but I have a terrible memory.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Not many big games coming out this quarter, I'm expecting more info on BoTW2 and NMH3 among other releases near the second half of the year rather than whatever else in incoming soon like DOOM or AC (unless they're announcing amiibo or other support). Also Xenoblade, gotta see how that's shaping up.

Wish I could make a list about what games would be mentioned in a Direct now but I have a terrible memory.
I hope we get a new party member in the game that would be cool

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'm not seeing who would be one though. Mumkhar rebuilt? A Machina?
in the original game people determined the game and it was supposed to have 8 party members the last party member was most likely gonna be Vanea

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
in the original game people determined the game and it was supposed to have 8 party members the last party member was most likely gonna be Vanea
What was her gimmick gonna be, that she's a summoner who summons faces for beeg beeg damage?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
What was her gimmick gonna be, that she's a summoner who summons faces for beeg beeg damage?
that's not something I would know but I think it would be a good idea to add a new character to the party plus it would even out the Male to Female Ratio if we got one more female on the team my money is on Linada or Vanea maybe they'd be healers? Who knows

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
that's not something I would know but I think it would be a good idea to add a new character to the party plus it would even out the Male to Female Ratio if we got one more female on the team my money is on Linada or Vanea maybe they'd be healers? Who knows
Healers? More ways to not use Sharla, then.

I hope they upgrade Sharla a lot in the remake so they give me an incentive to actually use her, maybe better Cooldown on her Arts or new Arts in general.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Healers? More ways to not use Sharla, then.

I hope they upgrade Sharla a lot in the upgrade so they give me an incentive to actually use her, maybe better Cooldown on her Arts or new Arts in general.
I feel bad for her I hear people complain about her a lot but I think this is there chance to fix her issues as well as add a counterpoint to her or something a akin to her at least

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I feel bad for her I hear people complain about her a lot but I think this is there chance to fix her issues as well as add a counterpoint to her or something a akin to her at least
At least her story is revisited with Gadolt, I want more Riki development honestly. He's just comedic relief after his one story arc, and he's fine as is, but give him something noteworthy on Mechonis too like everyone else.

Shulk has the whole Monado fiasco
Reyn has his character arc on if he's a worthy friend
Sharla has Gadolt
Dunban has Mumkhar
Melia has the Telethia
Fiora has herself

What does Riki have? Nothing, he's in the background and had one cute scene on the Mechonis Arm but that's it.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
At least her story is revisited with Gadolt, I want more Riki development honestly. He's just comedic relief after his one story arc, and he's fine as is, but give him something noteworthy on Mechonis too like everyone else.

Shulk has the whole Monado fiasco
Reyn has his character arc on if he's a worthy friend
Sharla has Gadolt
Dunban has Mumkhar
Melia has the Telethia
Fiora has herself

What does Riki have? Nothing, he's in the background and had one cute scene on the Mechonis Arm but that's it.
Hey who knows what could happen new content its gonna have a whole new area to explore who knows what's gonna happen

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey who knows what could happen new content its gonna have a whole new area to explore who knows what's gonna happen
Wonder if the whole game is gonna have new voice acting over the entire script, because the trailer implies that it's just the same cutscenes.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Someone give me the rundown on the new leak, I haven't been on either here or 4chan for a week now
Edit: Nvm just saw it on Gamefaqs

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Wonder if the whole game is gonna have new voice acting over the entire script, because the trailer implies that it's just the same cutscenes.
Hope they keep the old vocal cast because I love them I don't want anyone replaced if there are new scenes that is

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That, and Sakurai wanted the protagonist specifically. It really wasn't a moveset problem, though, not in the same way.
I agree that movesets are not an issue, especially when Sakurai always like to go for the protagonists of series. The protagonist represents the game, which is why we saw Hero over Slime. That was my point.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I should be able to wake up tomorrow and find out if the Junko leaker posted more intel.

But I gotta say...

I'm on Team Real.

No seriously I'm on Team Real.

As in, "Team Real, Authentic, Hysterical Laugh of my entire Speculation advocacy because that is not a real thing."

"There's barely a concept."

Well, here we are, buncha jacka****.
Repeating a joke doesn't make it funnier.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hope they keep the old vocal cast because I love them I don't want anyone replaced if there are new scenes that is
Of course they'll keep them, I'm just wondering if they're reusing the old lines.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Then will the new area have no voice acting cutscenes at all then? That's really what my question comes down to.
I assume they'll do what namco did for tales of Vesp DE keep all the old dialogue and bring everyone back for the new stuff simple enough hopefully they don't pull a namco and not bring everyone back

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I agree that movesets are not an issue, especially when Sakurai always like to go for the protagonists of series. The protagonist represents the game, which is why we saw Hero over Slime. That was my point.
to be fair there Sakurai once considered Heihachi to be in Smash and he's basically a villain for Tekken before going for Pac-Man, which says something right there. If there's any series I imagine that can break the "Protagonist first" mold, it'd be both Danganronpa and Tekken. Just my personal thoughts there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I assume they'll do what namco did for tales of Vesp DE keep all the old dialogue and bring everyone back for the new stuff simple enough hopefully they don't pull a namco and not bring everyone back
I mean, Melia's VA is waaaaay too famous to get her back to rerecord lines, she's one of the top actresses in Britain now iirc

D

Deleted member

to be fair there Sakurai once considered Heihachi to be in Smash and he's basically a villain for Tekken before going for Pac-Man, which says something right there. If there's any series I imagine that can break the "Protagonist first" mold, it'd be both Danganronpa and Tekken. Just my personal thoughts there.
I'll agree that Heihachi would probably he the Tekken rep. However, Tekken's a fighting game where everybody is playable and have their own interests. In this case, the mascot is actually controllable and would represent the game. Danganronpa is a linear story with one set protagonist you control with one defined playstyle throughout the entire game. The two aren't comparable.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I'll agree that Heihachi would probably he the Tekken rep. However, Tekken's a fighting game where everybody is playable and have their own interests. Danganronpa is a linear story with one set protagonist you control with one defined playstyle throughout the entire game. The two aren't comparable.
I'm just pointing out how the "Protagonist first" rule isn't really set in stone and is more of a fanrule. And Danganronpa is more villain centric than anything. The thing both series have in common is the fact that their most recognizable character is a villain and one where even non-fans or newcomers can instantly recognize.

Also other than the Truth Bullet mechanics, I can not even imagine how Makoto/Hajime can even fight. At least Monokuma there's better basis there that we could see him fight, even if cartoonishly. It's just I have a hard time seeing how Makoto or Hajime could work beyond Truth Bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom