• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Hopefully this isn't compressed to hell and back. Here's a Danganronpa protag pack I've put together over several hours real quick since some of us would rather have them than Junko. I was going to make the classic mode based on the blackened of the first game, but that wouldn't have fit the other protagonists.

Edit: It got compressed to hell and back. I'll list the spirits here as they're blurry and unreadable:
Pikachu as Monokuma
Daisy as Junko Enoshima
Shulk as Byakuya Togami
Zero Suit Samus and Sheik as the Ultra Despair Girls
5 Villagers and a ROB as the Warriors of Hope
Inkling as Chiaki Nanami
Isabelle as Monomi who can be enhanced into Usami
Greninja and 4 Pichu as Gundham Tanaka
5 Pichu as the Monokids
Simon as Korekiyo Shinguji
Megaman as Keebo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't even know what a Danganronpa is, TBH.
Danganronpa is a visual novel like Ace Attorney. 16 characters are set in a game in an isolated area. How you "win" is that you have to kill someone and get away scotch free. If they get caught, they're executed. If they get away, they leave the isolated area and everybody else gets executed. Naturally, your protagonists are always people who don't kill people.

Gameplay is basically like Ace Attorney (You've played that game right?) Basically, you investigate the crime scene and surrounding areas for evidence in one section, and then you debate with the other characters to prove who killed the victim.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Danganronpa is the series that made Cleopatra walk so Edmond Dantes could run so I can't say I hate it.
It also gave us fingers in his ass

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The main reason I find this an interesting leak is the character choice

It’s just such an obscure character choice that flies super under the radar so it just intrigues me, fake or not, that it’s being considered in the context of Smash

I’ve recently gotten into the series and I’ve noticed it’s had a huge popularity spike as of recently so the idea of it possibly being in a game with mostly mainstream names is something I find very interesting

That’s just my thoughts though, it gets my brain flowing
Danganronpa seems fairly popular. And its kind of recent too. A real pull would be Legacy of Kain or Vectorman. Still, I get what you mean. It's not the hugest name ever. So its kind of easy to overlook in that sense.

Of course the leak looks pretty fake. But hey, it got people talking for a bit, if only for the effort they did put for things like the spirit board and all.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Danganronpa is a visual novel like Ace Attorney. 16 characters are set in a game in an isolated area. How you "win" is that you have to kill someone and get away scotch free. If they get caught, they're executed. If they get away, they leave the isolated area and everybody else gets executed. Naturally, your protagonists are always people who don't kill people.

Gameplay is basically like Ace Attorney (You've played that game right?) Basically, you investigate the crime scene and surrounding areas for evidence in one section, and then you debate with the other characters to prove who killed the victim.
Yeah, I've dabbled in a bit of Ace Attorney with the first game (still need to get around to finishing it and the rest of the OG trilogy, though) so this definitely sounds very familiar in terms of gameplay.

Seems like an interesting series and I wouldn't be against it showing up in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I've dabbled in a bit of Ace Attorney with the first game (still need to get around to finishing it and the rest of the OG trilogy, though) so this definitely sounds very familiar in terms of gameplay.

Seems like an interesting series and I wouldn't be against it showing up in Smash.
If nothing else the series has good music.

D

Deleted member

I'm a really frequent user at Papagenos' Discord server (Forest Maze), and the alledged Danganronpa leak has obviously been a constant topic over there.

The theory some people over there seem to share is that the leak was made by someone aware of the popularity the Danganronpa series has on the server and attempted to bait the entire server with It.

I personally believe the leak is 100% fake, but I don't want to theorize about the story behind It.
This whole interest on Danganronpa has made me really tempted to play the series doh. But after checking out many stores in my island for days I haven't found any Danganronpa game on sale sadly.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm a really frequent user at Papagenos' Discord server (Forest Maze), and the alledged Danganronpa leak has obviously been a constant topic over there.

The theory some people over there seem to share is that the leak was made by someone aware of the popularity the Danganronpa series has on the server and attempted to bait the entire server with It.

I personally believe the leak is 100% fake, but I don't want to theorize about the story behind It.
This whole interest on Danganronpa has made me really tempted to play the series doh. But after checking out many stores in my island for days I haven't found any Danganronpa game on sale sadly.
Yep. Most people are aware it's 100% fake. But it presents some thing new to chew on since Dante, Sora, Pokemon, 2B and so on have been the main talking points lately. Who knows, we might even have one or two people get into those games here cause of this.

D

Deleted member

Yep. Most people are aware it's 100% fake. But it presents some thing new to chew on since Dante, Sora, Pokemon, 2B and so on have been the main talking points lately. Who knows, we might even have one or two people get into those games here cause of this.
Yeah, It is definitely a good thing to bring interest on the Danganronpa series.

Always nice to see good series getting some spotlights for once.

D

Deleted member

What happened to "everyone has a fair chance"? Or probably in terms of discussion; I was thinking frontrunners.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

If Steam is available to you, it's on that. I'd definitely recommend the series.

Also, try to avoid this topic for a while, heh.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Just to be clear, you're the guy who wants characters from series that died thirty years ago, right?
*checks his wishlist*
No, those franchises started 30 years ago. And only one of them(Ghosts 'N Goblins) is really dead at this point.

And yes, all of them are better than the unrepresented Nintendo franchises.

Let's be honest here, the only reason people even consider franchises like Rhythm Heaven C-Tier is because THEY AERN'T IN SMASH. Seriously, Punch-Out, F-Zero, Mother, and Kid Icarus are all on that same level yet I don't see people acting like that for them because they have characters in the game. If Rhythm Heaven got a character in Smash 4 nobody would be calling them that right now.
No, I fully acknowledge that there are already C and D-tier Nintendo characters in Smash. And I would have glady chosen A-tier 3rd party franchises over those characters as well.

And while I'll admit F-Zero and Mother are probably C-tier NOW, they weren't when they were added to Smash.

Complaining about Trophies cut has always come off as weird to me. Like, trophies, perhaps more so than any other Smash content were very much a product of their times. When they debuted in Melee, they were an ideal way to educate the people playing about Nintendo's rich history and unique characters that weren't playable or in other roles in the game at a time when the internet wasn't as easily accessible...
While I agree, I do wish Spirits still had the little info blurbs that trophies did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Steam is available to you, it's on that. I'd definitely recommend the series.

Also, try to avoid this topic for a while, heh.
Yeah, people at Forest Maze have warned me that this whole topic is basically a huge problem for any Newcomer to the series due to the amount of spoilers people are discussing from left to right.

So I'm trying to be cautious.

D

Deleted member

I'm the kind of person that just waits for it to be real BEFORE I start investing. Case in point; Persona.

Btw, link to Papagenos' server so I can start preachin'?

D

Deleted member

I'm the kind of person that just waits for it to be real BEFORE I start investing. Case in point; Persona.

Btw, link to Papagenos' server so I can start preachin'?
Sure, give me a moment and I'll share you an invite through PMs

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
The idea of Danganronpa being represented in Smash is quite the unexpected topic, but welcome if you ask me. Junko and Monokuma are definitely far from my first picks for DanganRonpa or as characters in Smash in general - Would've gone with Makoto since he's the first protagonist of the series, so the idea of Junko and Monokuma being in Smash before the protagonists would be a very drastic departure from what we normally expect.

I have a bit of a tough time trying to figure out how Junko herself would fight, but she'd probably let Monokuma do a lot of the heavy lifting in a similar sense to Rosalina and Luma. Monokuma could possibly have attacks based off some of the executions or attacks from Ultra Despair Girls, so I guess that would be their main moveset potential. And I doubt she'd have access to Makoto's Truth Bullets since she's the villain, so there's one of the series trademarks that might be missed out if it was just Junko and Monokuma instead of Makoto.

If this were true then sadly the worst part is that we've run into a Terry situation again where we've figured out the character's identity and all the surprise is gone. Either way, I'm personally leading on Team Fake, but I'm willing to entertain the idea of Junko in Smash Bros.
I mean, to be fair Monokuma is recognizable to most people, even to those who barely touched Danganronpa and is Spike Chunsofts mascot. And he'd create more eyes to widen than someone as simple as Makoto or Hajime.

I mean, what would be more uniquely hype worthy? A simple High School Kid or a snarky, sadistic, maniacal Stuffed Bear who parodies and twists the concept of a Mascot character into something sinister?

EDIT: And I'd like to point out how Danganronpa is one series that can get away from the "Protagonist first" fan rule since Monokuma is the most well known of the Danganronpa cast and it'd be a disservice using someone like Makoto in his place.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I mean, to be fair Monokuma is recognizable to most people, even to those who barely touched Danganronpa and is Spike Chunsofts mascot. And he'd create more eyes to widen than someone as simple as Makoto or Hajime.

I mean, what would be more uniquely hype worthy? A simple High School Kid or a snarky, sadistic, maniacal Stuffed Bear who parodies and twists the concept of a Mascot character into something sinister?
I'm pretty sure people said the same thing about Slime vs Erdrick and that didn't go so well for Slime.

D

Deleted member

Another thing maybe worth to note is that apparently Spike Chunsoft (the people behind Danganronpa) also created Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

So I feel we could potentially get some content from them in Smash through a Mistery Dungeon Spirit event too.

Which is nice.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure people said the same thing about Slime vs Erdrick and that didn't go so well for Slime.
To be fair there, Hero has a lot of special utility that'd make him hype worthy. As someone who has played Danganronpa before, I can tell you it'd be a bit boring if it was just Makoto or Hajime who got in Smash over Monokuma. And I bet you someone like Monokuma will be able to convince more people to check out Danganronpa than the protagonists, who look a bit plain by comparison.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Sakurai is also a huge fan and personally wrote a letter to the team behind Danganronpa when the main guy left Spike Chunsoft.

I don't think it's happening, but there's certainly reason to believe it could based on standard speculation stuff.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

EDIT: And I'd like to point out how Danganronpa is one series that can get away from the "Protagonist first" fan rule since Monokuma is the most well known of the Danganronpa cast and it'd be a disservice using someone like Makoto in his place.
I'd argue the same could be said of Dragon Quest's Hero considering they're all so homogenous, they each have identical movesets and don't even have canonical names outside of side-material or the number of the game they're from. On the other hand, everyone knows what a DQ slime is and that gelatinous non-descript body would've definitely been more "unique" than a man with a sword and shield.
However as we all know, Slime didn't get chosen, at least not outside of being a cameo character.

Frankly, I think Sakurai is going for characters that represent the gameplay and "core" of the series, not who or what is most popular within said franchise. Thus, if Danganronpa were to be chosen (which I have SERIOUS doubts on personally), I feel he would most likely go for Makoto Naegi, potentially with the other protagonists as alts ala Hero. He'd most likely have a moveset based around investigation and class trials considering that makes up the majority of the gameplay outside of the social interaction. Meanwhile I don't really think Monokuma represents anything beyond the executions and their dark humor.

So in actuality... I'd say monokuma would be the disservice to the franchise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be fair there, Hero has a lot of special utility that'd make him hype worthy. As someone who has played Danganronpa before, I can tell you it'd be a bit boring if it was just Makoto or Hajime who got in Smash over Monokuma. And I bet you someone like Monokuma will be able to convince more people to check out Danganronpa than the protagonists, who look a bit plain by comparison.
While Monokuma is relatively more interesting to look at, he doesn't represent the gameplay of Danganronpa or what the player does in it very well. Again, the Slime vs. Hero comparison.

While Makoto and Hajime are just regular high school students, Danganronpa's general aesthetic of "shooting" lies, rhythmatically pressuring convicts, or literally cutting down opponents arguments is enough to give them a stylistic and visual flare. Sell Danganronpa with its own style and premise rather than that bear who gets on your nerves a quarter into the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While Monokuma is relatively more interesting to look at, he doesn't represent the gameplay of Danganronpa or what the player does in it very well. Again, the Slime vs. Hero comparison.

While Makoto and Hajime are just regular high school students, Danganronpa's general aesthetic of "shooting" lies, rhythmatically pressuring convicts, or literally cutting down opponents arguments is enough to give them a stylistic and visual flare. Sell Danganronpa with its own style and premise rather than that bear who gets on your nerves a quarter into the game.
Eh, not really true on Slime. It can do pretty much all the spells Hero can do. As well as various Cut attacks(I haven't seen if it has unique animations, so using a slimy tentacle may or may not exist in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, though).

Really, the big thing Hero had was an easier to work with bodyshape. That, and Sakurai wanted the protagonist specifically. It really wasn't a moveset problem, though, not in the same way. No matter which you choose, you can easily get tons of proper representation of the various magical abilities in Dragon Quest without fail. The one thing Hero doesn't really do well is represent the unique armors and weapons available instead. Just the magic is pretty much it with some very basic(but expected) swordplay(as the sword is often a common notable weapon for the protagonist of DQ. Not in every game, but in a lot, including the original).

Both frankly worked amazingly well to represent the magic of DQ. So it wouldn't matter which one was chosen if that's the key goal. Of course, the goal wasn't just magic, either. More the gameplay in general, but I go back to how the weapons and armor frankly aren't represented at all. Which is sad, since that was one of the best parts about how DQ was, especially the first game, with some really cool armor and weapons that weren't just "damage boosts" alone in every case. While the swords weren't too special beyond shape, the armors had unique abilities that would've been interesting to have. Though hey, critical hits are nice. Hero brought other stuff like various other Heroes via the Final Smash and very unique alts. Now that's something Slime wouldn't have(though the lack of alts isn't an issue either. There's a ton of neat variations to go with. Patterns or colors alone).

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eh, not really true on Slime. It can do pretty much all the spells Hero can do. As well as various Cut attacks(I haven't seen if it has unique animations, so using a slimy tentacle may or may not exist in Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, though).

Really, the big thing Hero had was an easier to work with bodyshape. That, and Sakurai wanted the protagonist specifically. It really wasn't a moveset problem, though, not in the same way. No matter which you choose, you can easily get tons of proper representation of the various magical abilities in Dragon Quest without fail. The one thing Hero doesn't really do well is represent the unique armors and weapons available instead. Just the magic is pretty much it with some very basic(but expected) swordplay(as the sword is often a common notable weapon for the protagonist of DQ. Not in every game, but in a lot, including the original).

Both frankly worked amazingly well to represent the magic of DQ. So it wouldn't matter which one was chosen if that's the key goal. Hero brought other stuff like various other Heroes via the Final Smash and very unique alts. Now that's something Slime wouldn't have(though the lack of alts isn't an issue either. There's a ton of neat variations to go with. Patterns or colors alone).
Of course Slime can use cut:

slime knight.png
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of course Slime can use cut:

View attachment 264294
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."
I mean like in Dragon Warrior Monsters 1, where it's just Slime using something like Beast Cut. I don't mean Slime Knight, a different monster(though hey, morphing into that shape for cutting attacks is a cool idea too).

As I said, I don't know if Joker has new animations for various spells. The old DWM games for the Gameboy didn't have the monsters move, just mostly flashes or stuff like projectiles ala Pokemon at best. Very basic to get the idea of how it works down, but not clear on how the monster performs the move.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So um, someone brought up something really interesting, and I think you may find this interesting:
A28DB82B-78FE-44D7-B749-2DA016375240.jpeg

Junko’s render is actually censored from her original appearance in Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havic, not only does she no longer have cleavage but she’s also wearing shorts now:
34CC4BCC-1762-48F8-AF01-1E65A6BDF9FE.png
Some insane ****ing attention to detail right here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
As I said, I don't know if Joker has new animations for various spells.
He doesn't. His Rebel's Guard animation in Smash originally used for summoning Personas and all of them have their own animations.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Game's been out for a decade. If I cared about DR spoilers, I would have played it by now.
Not everyone is you. Some people didn't even know about the series until recently. The Siivagunner tournament for example brought a bunch of new fans to the franchise and they would appreciate not being spoiled.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So um, someone brought up something really interesting, and I think you may find this interesting:
View attachment 264295
Junko’s render is actually censored from her original appearance in Danganronpa Trigger Happy Havic, not only does she no longer have cleavage but she’s also wearing shorts now:
View attachment 264296
At the same time though, having the full render on top of the comparison image, there's a lot of things that are inaccurate.

Probably the most egregious of which being the fact that the circle-backslash symbol on her tie isn't lined up evenly with where it transitions into black considering how OBVIOUS IT IS.
I mean like in Dragon Warrior Monsters 1, where it's just Slime using something like Beast Cut. I don't mean Slime Knight, a different monster(though hey, morphing into that shape for cutting attacks is a cool idea too).

As I said, I don't know if Joker has new animations for various spells. The old DWM games for the Gameboy didn't have the monsters move, just mostly flashes or stuff like projectiles ala Pokemon at best. Very basic to get the idea of how it works down, but not clear on how the monster performs the move.
It's a joke, I don't actually know anything about Slime casting spells or whatever, lol
He doesn't. His Rebel's Guard animation in Smash originally used for summoning Personas and all of them have their own animations.
He's talking about "Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker" the videogame where you collect DQ monsters, not the highschool crimeboy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 264295
View attachment 264296
It's still fake, fake , and...

Alright gimme my glasses.

Btw even if it's fake, I do wanna compile this one in my archive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The way I look at it is the creator did actually look into some neat details.

Unfortunately, they didn't get all that was needed for it to be clean enough to be highly believable. It's still pretty well done all things considered, but lacks the quality of a regular Smash render. That, and while it got one great detail, it missed others. Well, nobody's perfect.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Probably the most egregious of which being the fact that the circle-backslash symbol on her tie isn't lined up perpendicular with where it transitions into black considering how OBVIOUS IT IS.
And the eyes being in a different style? That doesn't feel very Sakurai.

recordagger

Smash Cadet
Capcom
-Dante
-Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine
-Monster Hunter
-Phoenix Wright
-Amaterasu
-Viewtiful Joe
Sega
-Kazuma Kiryu
-AiAi
-Arle Nadja
-Beat
-Nights
-Ryo Hazuki
NIS America
-Shin Kamikaze from Guidedfate
-Reimu Hakurei from Touhou
-Axe from Little Town Hero
-Lemeza Kosugi from La Mulana
-Adell from Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
-Shuichi Saihara (Kaede Akamatsu Alt) from Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
Sony
-Spyro
-Crash Bandicoot
-PaRappa the Rapper
-Sly Cooper
-Sir Daniel Fortesque
-Sackboy

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not everyone is you. Some people didn't even know about the series until recently.
Even so, any reasonable person realizes that there's a statute of limitations on spoilers.

Or are people still not allowed to talk about Vader being Luke's father 40 years later?

After a decade, the responsibility's on you, not the entire rest of the world.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
On the topic of Smash and spoilers:

The Warframe spirit that was recently added into Smash enhances into this.

According to my friend who's hella into Warframe, not only is this character a spoiler, it is quite possibly the biggest spoiler they could've possibly chosen.

So if Smash wants to spoil Junko's role in the Danganronpa story, they'll do it.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Even so, any reasonable person realizes that there's a statute of limitations on spoilers.

Or are people still not allowed to talk about Vader being Luke's father 40 years later?

After a decade, the responsibility's on you, not the entire rest of the world.
There's a HUGE difference between a pop culture icon that's referenced in a million works like the Vader scene and a cult franchise with sub-million sales for any given game in the series, and a mystery one at that.

Like, do you honestly think this is a fair comparison? I won't go around spoiling Agatha Christie books either and those are quite a bit older.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry guys but I’m not buying it. Not because the leak render looks fairly fake and not that “Ultimate” quality but that’s one bear too many for the DLC roster. Otherwise, people will start crying about “too many bears” in the roster. People crying about swordies is already un-bearable.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I won't go around spoiling Agatha Christie books either and those are quite a bit older.
Well, like I said, no reasonable person has expectations of avoiding spoilers on something that old. So we've just determined that you're...not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom