• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I'll never understand why people outside of here wants to bandwagon the idea that the next 6 characters are 'going to be all Fire Emblem characters' like grow the hell up. People hate the idea of GeNeRiC aNiMe SwOrDsMaN YET THEY WANT DANTE, SORA, ISAAC, ANYONE ELSE who wields a sword?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I'll never understand why people outside of here wants to bandwagon the idea that the next 6 characters are 'going to be all Fire Emblem characters' like grow the hell up. People hate the idea of GeNeRiC aNiMe SwOrDsMaN YET THEY WANT DANTE, SORA, ISAAC, ANYONE ELSE who wields a sword?
Because THOSE FRANCHISES DON'T HAVE 8 GODDAMN SLOTS ON THE ROSTER.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hate being that person to say it, but I really wonder if the people who say, “X character is boring and brings nothing new”, “Y character doesn’t have personality”, “Z character is impossible without these references” have played the games with the characters in question.

Just seems to be something the Smash fanbase does with things they haven’t played or things that aren’t on Nintendo consoles. It’s too bad, because there are even characters on the roster people talk a lot about while knowing little about them, and it shows.

This isn’t about anybody in particular, just something I’ve observed.
Sure there's the occasional arguments that make me wonder "Have you even played the game?". But then there's the """arguments""" that are so preposterous that they make me wonder "Have you even SEEN a picture or video of the character?", such as all of these people who insisted that Hero/Terry would be clones of Robin/Ken.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There's a lot to be said about hyperbolic, irrational fearmongering but those characters have far more to them than just their swords.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hate being that person to say it, but I really wonder if the people who say, “X character is boring and brings nothing new”, “Y character doesn’t have personality”, “Z character is impossible without these references” have played the games with the characters in question.

Just seems to be something the Smash fanbase does with things they haven’t played or things that aren’t on Nintendo consoles. It’s too bad, because there are even characters on the roster people talk a lot about while knowing little about them, and it shows.

I have heard those arguments countless times whenever I bring up Duck Hunt Dog before he got in Smash.

The few weeks before Duck Hunt Dog was officially confirmed, people started to jump on the Duck Hunt Dog bandwagon... but it wasn’t because I finally convinced them to support Duck Hunt Dog, it was the leak that finally convinced them to support Duck Hunt Dog.

I hope one day people will be finally convinced to support Meowth & Team Rocket whether it is because of me or a leak.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have heard those arguments countless times whenever I bring up Duck Hunt Dog before he got in Smash.

The few weeks before Duck Hunt Dog was officially confirmed, people started to jump on the Duck Hunt Dog bandwagon... but it wasn’t because I finally convinced them to support Duck Hunt Dog, it was the leak that finally convinced them to support Duck Hunt Dog.

I hope one day people will be finally convinced to support Meowth & Team Rocket whether it is because of me or a leak.
Mmmmmm, nah. Never. Another Pokemon Trainer isn't that in for me, even if I get the satisfaction of playing James.

Or another Pokemon in general, I only see advertisements instead of fleshed-out characters.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't care if a character uses a sword, fists, gun, or a rubber chicken as their weapon of choice: Just gimme someone who's fun to play.

I could care less if a weapon choice is different if it isn't fun to play. And lemme tell ya, in my humble opinion at least, those FE characters are all fun. I'd happily take more if they are all as fun as the ones we have now. Treating the roster as if it's some game of equal ratios is a bad way to view it IMHO. The only reason people don't bat an eye at Mario and Pokemon is because of sales data, which shouldn't be the sole reason of a character's inclusion in the first place. We wouldn't have nearly as many niche series in this game if sales truly did matter as the end all be all anyway.

D

Deleted member

That's the thing, right? Sometimes it really is impossible for people to see characters implemented into Smash Bros until they actually see it. I remember a discussion people had with Banjo is how would he look in Ultimate, because his old N64 design hasn't touched a modern game in nearly two decades. It was quite physically impossible for me to imagine how they'd look like in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's the thing, right? Sometimes it really is impossible for people to see characters implemented into Smash Bros until they actually see it. I remember a discussion people had with Banjo is how would he look in Ultimate, because his old N64 design hasn't touched a modern game in nearly two decades. It was quite physically impossible for me to imagine how they'd look like in Smash.
Imagine believing they'd stick with the modern atrocity of the redesign after blessing Simon with his barbarian retro look instead of Kojima's BDS(imo)N.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Imagine believing they'd stick with the modern atrocity of the redesign after blessing Simon with his barbarian retro look.
Some people feared that. Remember, Sonic's design isn't his old Classic design, and it's not like Pac-Man is just a circle with a pizza slice cut out of it. Plus people were cynical about Microsoft because it was Microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A good way to put it is some characters are harder to imagine than others in how they work.

You need animations, explanations, sprites, or whatever, to give an idea of how some concepts can work. It's understandable, as everybody has different opinions and such. Not all have equal imaginations of things.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Company Passes huh, well I’ll do a worthy version and who I’d want more selfishly will be in brackets.

Capcom
1. Jill Valentine “Resident Evil” (Leon Kennedy)
2. Dante “Devil May Cry”
3. Pheonix Wright “Ace Attourney” (Nemesis)
4. Mike Haggar “Final Fight” (Urien)
5. Amaterasu “Okami” (Vergil)
6. Arthur “Ghosts and Goblins” (Wesker)

Namco
1. Heihachi “Tekken”
2. Nightmare “Soul Calibur”
3. Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) (Solarie)
4. Lloyd “Tales of” (Cervantes)
5. Klonoa “Klonoa” (King)
6. The Prince “Katamari Damacy” (Steve)

Square Enix
1. Sora “Kingdom Hearts”
2. Sephiroth “Final Fantasy”
3. Lara Croft “Tomb Raider”
4. Chrono “Chrono Trigger”
5. Agnes “Bravely Default” (Riku)
6. Geno “Super Mario RPG”

Microsoft
1. Master Chief “Halo”
2. Steve “Minecraft” (Gruntilda)
3. Conker “Conkers Bad Fur Day”
4. Rash “Battletoads” (Arbiter)
5. Fulgore “Killer Instinct” (Aganos)
6. Joanna Dark “Perfect Dark” (Mumbo Jumbo)

Sega
1. Shadow “Sonic”
2. Knuckles “Sonic”
3. Aiai “Super Monkey Ball” (Tails)
4. Dr Robotnic “Sonic”
5. Jack Frost ”Megami Tensei” (Amy)
6. Akira “Virtua Fighter” (Rouge)

Konami
1. Goemon “Mystical Ninja”
2. Bomberman “Bomberman”
3. Alucard “Castlevania”
4. Bill Rizer “Contra”
5. Raiden “Metal Gear Solid”
6. Frogger “Frogger” (The Boss)

Ubisoft (That’s all)
1. Rayman “Rayman”
2. Altair “Assassins Creed”
3. Prince “Prince of Persia”

Activision
1. Crash “Crash Bandicoot”
2. Spyro “Spyro the dragon”
3. Tracer “Overwatch” (Dr Neo Cortex)
4. Diablo “Diablo” (Ripto)
5. Johnny Knox “Guitar Hero”
6. Jim Raynor “Starcraft” (Gnasty Knorc)

Koei Techmo (That’s all)

1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
2. Kasumi (Dead or Alive)
3. Yuri (Fatal Frame)
4. Suezo (Monster Rancher)
5. Nobunaga? (Dynasty Warriors)
6. ???

Snk (don’t know enough, there would be a metal slug rep tho)
Konami
1. Twinbee (Pop'n Twinbee)
2. James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2)
3. Alucard (Castlevania)
4. Probotectors (Probotector)
5. Sparkster (Rocket Knight)
6. Cormano Wild (Sunset Riders)

Sega
1. Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
2. Blaze Fielding (Streets of Rage)
3. Tails (Sonic The Hedgehog)
4. Gunstar Red/Blue (Gunstar Heroes)
5. Dynamite Heady (Dynamite Headdy)
6. Vectorman (Vectorman)

Capcom
1. Phonix Write (Super Lawyer)
2. Chuck Greene (Dead Rising 2)
3. Strider Hiryu (Strider)
4. Arthur (Ghosts n Goblins)
5. Firebrand (Demon's Crest)
6. Frank West (Dead Rising)

Namco
1. Klonoa (Klonoa
2. Jin Kazama (Tekken)
3. Goku (Dragon Ball Z) Goku would be awesome and I don't care what anyone says.
That's it...

Square Enix
1. Ark (Terranigma)
2. Crono (Chrono Trigger)
3. Robo (Chrono Trigger)
4. Vincent Valentine (Final Fantasy 7)
5. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
6. Geno (Super Mario RPG)

Microsoft
1. Joanna Dark
2. Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
That's it...

SNK
1. Simea (Crystalis)
2. Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)
3. Iori Yagami (King of Fighters)
Can't think of anyone else...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was going to make one SEGA pass and then one for the other companies, but as I can't decide on how to represent SEGA I made two of them, and then a third one for the fun of it.

Classic SEGA Pass (Master System, Genesis, Saturn):
1. Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)
2. Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
3. Edge (Panzer Dragoon Saga)
4. NiGHTs
5. Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
6. Segata Sanshiro

Modern SEGA Pass (Post-Dreamcast/Series acquired by SEGA):
1. Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
2. Arle (Puyo Puyo)
3. Hatsune Miku
4. Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles)
5. Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei)
6. Cougar I (Border Break)

Bonus SEGA Pass so I can have Hornet from Daytona USA in Smash:
1. Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
2. AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
3. Beat (Jet Set Radio)
4. Vyse (Skies of Arcadia)
5. Seaman
6. Hornet (Daytona USA)

I could probably make a fourth pass if I wanted to.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

The recent Dante discussion really solidified this to me.
Yeah sure, Dante's probably going to share some moveset similarities with Bayo-
Joker.
...Really?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Natural since Dante fights while having to look good. Plus Bayonetta and Dante fights very similar with different weapons since they are made by the same person

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mmmmmm, nah. Never. Another Pokemon Trainer isn't that in for me, even if I get the satisfaction of playing James.

Or another Pokemon in general, I only see advertisements instead of fleshed-out characters.
Advertisements? I don’t know about that. Does that apply to Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar? Did Sakurai pick them to be in Smash before their respective games came out?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Natural since Dante fights while having to look good. Plus Bayonetta and Dante fights very similar with different weapons since they are made by the same person
The issue was that people were complaining that Dante would be a JOKER ripoff instead of a Bayonetta one.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Advertisements? I don’t know about that. Does that apply to Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar? Did Sakurai pick them to be in Smash before their respective games came out?
That was my thought, tbh. At least when Incineroar came out. Reasons why I'm expecting a Galarian Pokemon more than any other.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Does that apply to Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar?
Mainly the last two.
Did Sakurai pick them to be in Smash before their respective games came out?
Greninja was chosen before XY came out, while Incineroar was chosen when SM came out and he could see that Mimikyu/Lycanroc were more successful but **** it, characters are just functions amirite?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
People keep saying that but I don't see how.

Bayo's doesn't use swords in Smash, Dante can't summon giant demon limbs out of thin air and even how they use their guns is completely different.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Did that stop the West's Hero hate when he was first announced?
If I'm being perfectly honest I saw far more people spamming Hoes Mad memes and complaining about people not liking Hero than people actually hating on him, but to be fair that probably has to do with the fact that everyone had spent the 6 months beforehand anticipating him showing up and the fact that Banjo came with him. And I feel a good portion of the "vitriol" around him has more to do with the other, more requested Square reps surrounding him than anything about Hero specifically. Either way, there was way more anger surrounding Byleth than Hero, and it has more to do with Fire Emblem than anything about the character specifically.

It wouldn't matter if they weren't anime, if they didn't use a sword, whatever, it's just that fact that they are another Fire Emblem character (chosen before their game came out again) that people dislike Byleth.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of Doom, there is something I've been curious about for a while. I like the Doom franchise but have never wanted Doomguy added to Smash. When it comes to playable characters in Smash I want them added because I like them as a, well, character. With Doomguy him being nothing more than a shooting machine is kind of the point, so I would be much happier to see that franchise represented with Mii's/Spirits/Something.

I guess what I want to know is: when it comes to playable characters are you looking for representation of your favorite series or are you looking for representation of your favorite characters?
Doomslayer actually has more personality than 'angry man who shoots', he has an actual sense of justice as he beat the **** out of his commanding officer when ordered to risk the lives of innocent civilians, has a soft spot for animals as he had a pet rabbit called Daisy, is a nerd as he collects action figures and fist bumps them, is a tad deadpan as seen when Samuel Hayden tried justifying himself to which Doomslayer just looked at a human corpse as if to say "right, this man's dead for the better of humanity because you greedy ****s can't stop being greedy". Then there's the taunts in the 2016 multiplayer which has him dance and prance around

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

It's easy to see when someone only has at best a surface level understanding of the character they're talking about when they make arguments like that. It'd be one thing if they played the games and just aren't personal fans of the character, but oftentimes it's pretty clear that the issue at hand is more that they don't have any interest in the character from what they've seen and look for any reason to write them off. So when you see arguments like "Dante would just be Bayonetta", "Monster Hunter brings nothing to the table for a moveset", or "Travis would just be another boring swordsman", it's hard not to wonder if they even bothered to look up the character they're talking about.

The 'they lack personality complaint' particularly irks me as well, because while Smash has had its misses (ex. Bowser and Kazooie), they're often pretty good at reaching in and expressing the character traits that most don't pay attention to. Ridley for example was a character that often got the 'he doesn't have a personality!' argument before his inclusion, but if you look at his animations in Ultimate they manage to convey the sadistic and cruel nature of him rather well, even reaching into a manga that wasn't translated to help push it forth. So despite seemingly lacking a personality for many, Ridley was a character that managed to express himself rather well, showing that it was an argument that didn't fully grasp the character or how he would be expressed in game.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Bruh Sakurai outright said he got lucky Greninja was popular as Greninja's design was merely concept art by the time it got added in Smash and although we don't have anything concrete on Incineroar's case, basic logic of game development means it got added before SM got released. Sakurai even said Pokemon gets to be special and have reserved spots put just for whatever new Pokemon will be in the newest games by that point, no other franchise got to have reserved spots in the roster for unreleased games simply because of the franchise it's from

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mainly the last two.

Greninja was chosen before XY came out, while Incineroar was chosen when SM came out and he could see that Mimikyu/Lycanroc were more successful but **** it, characters are just functions amirite?
And Decidueye is currently the third most popular Alola Pokémon according to the Pokémon Google poll (after Mimikyu and Rowlet) so I am hoping Sakurai would revisit the Decidueye idea for the second Fighters Pass.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
I mean... Pac could've been much worse
View attachment 264214
much much worse
Thankfully Bandai Namco allowed Sakurai to use Pac's classic look instead of that design, otherwise we wouldn't have Pac at all.
People keep saying that but I don't see how.

Bayo's doesn't use swords in Smash, Dante can't summon giant demon limbs out of thin air and even how they use their guns is completely different.
Other than being characters made by Hideki Kamiya and come from stylish action games, they're quite different from each other. Despite the two being different from each other, some people are still going to compare the two even if Dante does get in.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I don't care if a character uses a sword, fists, gun, or a rubber chicken as their weapon of choice: Just gimme someone who's fun to play.

I could care less if a weapon choice is different if it isn't fun to play. And lemme tell ya, in my humble opinion at least, those FE characters are all fun. I'd happily take more if they are all as fun as the ones we have now. Treating the roster as if it's some game of equal ratios is a bad way to view it IMHO. The only reason people don't bat an eye at Mario and Pokemon is because of sales data, which shouldn't be the sole reason of a character's inclusion in the first place. We wouldn't have nearly as many niche series in this game if sales truly did matter as the end all be all anyway.
Uuuhh no, Mario and Pokemon are tolerated because each one is different both as characters and fighters. Only half the FE character can claim the latter and none of them can claim the former.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Uuuhh no, Mario and Pokemon are tolerated because each one is different both as characters and fighters. Only half the FE character can claim the latter and none of them can claim the former.
Pichu?

Dr. Mario?

Daisy?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What do you even mean by the second thing lmao. All eight are completely different characters.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

You say this as Roy, Corrin, and Byleth are literally only here to be walking advertisements for their games.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This is exactly the sort of thing Jones was on about lol

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Man we really just gonna act like Dr. Mario, Daisy, and Pichu don't exist huh?

sad.png

Dr. Mario, Daisy, and Pichu...lose...

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
What do you even mean by the second thing lmao. All eight are completely different characters.
They are purely the same aesthetically. Try doing Byleth's final Classic battle and picking yourself out among the crowd, it's near impossible outside of a little P1 arrow.
Pichu?

Dr. Mario?
Dr. Mario & Daisy, fair, but Pichu has the harming mechanic, so his style somewhat different.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Mario isn't tolerated for that, Mario gets ignored because Mario is the best thing since sliced bread and therefore immune to criticism. People say the FE cast look too similair but Mario very rarely gets criticized for having Mario, Green Mario, Literally Just Mario with a different outfit, Yellow Fat Mario, Peach, Orange Peach, Space Peach, Bowser and Bowser Jr.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
They are purely the same aesthetically. Try doing Byleth's final Classic battle and picking yourself out among the crowd, it's near impossible outside of a little P1 arrow. (1)

Dr. Mario, fair, but Pichu has the harming mechanic, so his style somewhat different. (2)
  1. Nice hyperbole
  2. Nice cherrypicking
Roy has a close range tipper, Lucina has no tipper, and Chrom has no tipper and a unique up-special.

Each Fire Emblem character is as differentiated as Pichu, and more differentiated than Daisy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They are purely the same aesthetically. Try doing Byleth's final Classic battle and picking yourself out among the crowd, it's near impossible outside of a little P1 arrow.

Dr. Mario, fair, but Pichu has the harming mechanic, so his style somewhat different.
I have astigmatism AND myopia, and I can tell them apart just fine. What's your excuse?

Also lmao at acting like Pichu hurting itself is a truly unique trait when Roy is more removed from Marth than Isabelle is from Villager.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Dr. Mario, fair, but Pichu has the harming mechanic, so his style somewhat different.
So Roy's hitboxes being smaller and inverted when compared to Marth which demands more rushdown instead of spacing doesn't count nor do Lucina and Chrom's consistent hitboxes, which for the former, makes Lucina a significantly better character than Marth both casually and competitively?

pinshadow

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
Mario isn't tolerated for that, Mario gets ignored because Mario is the best thing since sliced bread and therefore immune to criticism. People say the FE cast look too similair but Mario very rarely gets criticized for having Mario, Green Mario, Literally Just Mario with a different outfit, Yellow Fat Mario, Peach, Orange Peach, Space Peach, Bowser and Bowser Jr.
Mario is tolerated because it's literally the biggest franchise in video game history you goddamn clown. Every Mario character here (sans Doc and Daisu, who are clones, and Plant who's a joke character, neither of which should really be here) isn't just here to represent a single game, but are either too iconic not to be here or represent entire sub-series of Mario, not just one game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom