• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Who the hell wants Doomguy?

He's just Joker with a bigger gun. :secretkpop:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Speaking of Doom, there is something I've been curious about for a while. I like the Doom franchise but have never wanted Doomguy added to Smash. When it comes to playable characters in Smash I want them added because I like them as a, well, character. With Doomguy him being nothing more than a shooting machine is kind of the point, so I would be much happier to see that franchise represented with Mii's/Spirits/Something.

I guess what I want to know is: when it comes to playable characters are you looking for representation of your favorite series or are you looking for representation of your favorite characters?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
*Samurai Warriors, but Nobunaga's Ambition is another game that features Nobunaga since, you know.

Also, it's Leap Day [in America], so today, I wanna know what potential DLC characters could end up having the highest jump or the best recover in Smash.
Yeah I just know that Dynasty Warriors would get a rep, I honestly don’t know who the main character is or who the go guy would be

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I guess what I want to know is: when it comes to playable characters are you looking for representation of your favorite series or are you looking for representation of your favorite characters?
Someone who'd be fun to play as.

Doomguy is a violent ************. Ergo, he'd probably be fun to play as to rip and tear people.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Ya'll think MKLeo is going to pick up Sword Joker when he releases?
If Smash fans seriously start unironically calling Dante that, then I will look forward to Mightykeef's "How Smash players reacted to Dante." video which is a shot-by-shot perfect clone of his Terry Bogard skit except with Bayonetta instead of SFV.

D

Deleted member

Kind of a weird question. Characters are literally part of a series and can represent what makes them enjoyable. For example, Hero represents the JRPG elements in Dragon Quest. Doom Guy would represent the high-octane gameplay of DOOM itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ya know, if I'm being real, I don't think Waluigi will ever be playable in Smash. EVER. We've all seen how Nintendo describes Waluigi as "lurking in the shadows, waiting for his chance in the spotlight" but NOT getting his time to shine is the whole point of the character. If Waluigi got a major role, I'm not sure it would be true to who Waluigi is. He's an underdog, a punchline. People might be mad he's not playable, but like... that's the point.
Isabelle is a pacifist and she still beats people up in Smash. I’m not sure this would keep them from adding Waluigi, they could still do an underdog joke in his reveal trailer, or Waluigi cheating his way in or whatever.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ya know, if I'm being real, I don't think Waluigi will ever be playable in Smash. EVER. We've all seen how Nintendo describes Waluigi as "lurking in the shadows, waiting for his chance in the spotlight" but NOT getting his time to shine is the whole point of the character. If Waluigi got a major role, I'm not sure it would be true to who Waluigi is. He's an underdog, a punchline. People might be mad he's not playable, but like... that's the point.
This was like me denying Isabelle because of her being an assistant and therefore her not being in the game. Don't be ridiculous like I was two years ago.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It depends on the franchise.

I'm not really an Animal Crossing fan but I still wanted Isabelle in Smash because she's a great character. Meanwhile, even if Joker isn't my favorite Persona character, he was still super hype for me because I'm a sucker for Persona.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Speaking of Doom, there is something I've been curious about for a while. I like the Doom franchise but have never wanted Doomguy added to Smash. When it comes to playable characters in Smash I want them added because I like them as a, well, character. With Doomguy him being nothing more than a shooting machine is kind of the point, so I would be much happier to see that franchise represented with Mii's/Spirits/Something.

>nothing more than a shooting machine
QOkZXAb.gif

ConstantAltruisticIrukandjijellyfish-max-1mb.gif

Suppose Link is also just a cutting guy then.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
A mixture of both. Depends on both the character and the series, depending on if they are already represented, or if they aren't represented, how many viable characters there are at the top of the tier.

D

Deleted member

This was like me denying Isabelle because of her being an assistant and therefore her not being in the game. Don't be ridiculous like I was two years ago.
Remember when people were saying Ridley's size is the entire point of the character and then Sakurai said, "But what if it wasn't?" Ergo,

CureParfait

Smash Ace
For this I think there are ways that will fit Waluigi's not getting his time shine trait moveset wise if he became playable.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Crash would be hype. Certainly a lucrative pick if nothing else.
2B's outfit holds her back, honestly. We saw how Mai ended up.
Rex is a Spirit. Not happening.
Monster Hunter's... unlikely
but fitting. I don't know why Rathalos is there to begin with.
I don't see Capcom triple-dipping in all honesty but if they do, Dante's up there for them. Don't feel the hype personally, but eh.
Sora is held back by the Disney content in his game. To truly capture Sora, you'd have to include some Disney content, and Sakurai's not going to allow that.
You're not very good at the whole hypothetical thing. In fact, you didn't even answer the question, so what was the point?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Most of the characters I want are for for the character themselves. The PMD content that Grovyle would bring with him is very cool, but I'm mostly in it for the character himself.

There is a full exception, though. If I had to choose between Frisk getting in or an Undertale stage with lots of Music and Cameos, I'd choose the stage.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
When it comes to me and TimeSplitters, it would more be towards representation of the series rather than Cortez himself...

But then again, who else will say the perfect tagline for the series?

IT'S TIME TO SPLIT!

Heading back through time.gif

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Remember when people were saying Ridley's size is the entire point of the character and then Sakurai said, "But what if it wasn't?" Ergo,
At least Ridley was smaller in his first appearance. Waluigi's whole purpose is to not be significant or special in any way. Literally the only game he was a main villain in was DDR: Mario Mix.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

The "Ridley's size is the entire point of the character" argument was always ridiculous because whenever Ridley shows up in a Metroid game, he's actually generally one of the smaller bosses. Even in Samus Returns, which is one of his largest incarnations to date, he's still outsized by the Queen Metroid. His point has never been his size, it has always and will always be about how threatening he is as a character.

Anyway, Kraid also isn't too big for Smash so let's get K. Rool's evil grandpa in here.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Oh come on, a lack of personality stopping Doomguy? He has lots of it, personality is hardly relevant.

People want Geno who personality wise is inferior to Mallow so please tell me "personality" is not a serious argument against a character inclusion

D

Deleted member

At least Ridley was smaller in his first appearance. Waluigi's whole purpose is to not be significant or special in any way. Literally the only game he was a main villain in was DDR: Mario Mix.
His whole purpose was to be a rival to Luigi and a brother to Wario in the spinoff games. That was literally why he was created in the first place--it's in his name "Wa-Luigi." It has nothing to do with this bizarre "Underdog" narrative, and I find it strange you have confidence in this theory when you have zero evidence that's why Nintendo holds him back.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
For me, I really want Minecraft in Smash and want at least some spirits, however I want Steve as a character because I like him and I’m sure he’d be fun to play, and would be disappointed if he isn’t. A Minecraft stage would also be awesome to have, but I really want Steve just for him and his potential moveset, since I’ve become attached to him I guess because he’s the face of one of my favorite games (and he actually does have a little bit of personality in official videos and animations and stuff, and something that was mentioned in a Lego Club magazine; Alex, too). I would also like a playable Creeper in Smash, since it’s my favorite mob and the only way to play as one is through unofficial mods (though it would also just be cool to see it in Smash). I would be disappointed if he somehow didn’t bring a stage with him, though, but I’d still be happy to have him in.

Last edited:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
His whole purpose was to be a rival to Luigi and a brother to Wario in the spinoff games. That was literally why he was created in the first place--it's in his name "Wa-Luigi." It has nothing to do with this bizarre "Underdog" narrative, and I find it strange you have confidence in this theory when you have zero evidence that's why Nintendo holds him back.
And yet they have never properly utilied the rival narrative either. IIRC the story was he actually just fancied himself as Luigi's rival, Luigi never actually did anything pertaining to the two of them being real rivals.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Waluigi cheating his way in
With promotions, they seem to ignore the fact that a character had a non-playable role previously. I think they'd simply ignore how Waluigi was an AT besides a minor joke (IE: have him KO Marth on Lumiose City as a reference to how he was revealed to still be an AT.)

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Oh come on, a lack of personality stopping Doomguy? He has lots of it, personality is hardly relevant.

People want Geno who personality wise is inferior to Mallow so please tell me "personality" is not a serious argument against a character inclusion
We got Byleth and their entire personality is that they don't have one.

D

Deleted member

And yet they have never properly utilied the rival narrative either. IIRC the story was he actually just fancied himself as Luigi's rival, Luigi never actually did anything pertaining to the two of them being real rivals.
I gave you Waluigi's intended purpose as a character for why he was created in Mario Tennis 64. He is an evil version of Luigi meant to give Wario his own Luigi. There is nothing intricate about this. He is a dumb spinoff character people like to a point where he's in almost every Mario spinoff game now.

And you also ignored the part where I asked for evidence for Nintendo deliberately holding Waluigi back. Do you have any historical precendant or evidence for your theory? Do not give me an interpretation of a general quote. I want an actual quote that says, "We think Waluigi is suited more to the sidelines rather than being a playable character."

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace

No one is saying that. I stated my personal preference about characters I would like added to Smash. There is no argument about who can and cannot be added.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Crash would be hype. Certainly a lucrative pick if nothing else.
2B's outfit holds her back, honestly. We saw how Mai ended up.
Rex is a Spirit. Not happening.
Monster Hunter's... unlikely but fitting. I don't know why Rathalos is there to begin with.
I don't see Capcom triple-dipping in all honesty but if they do, Dante's up there for them. Don't feel the hype personally, but eh.
Sora is held back by the Disney content in his game. To truly capture Sora, you'd have to include some Disney content, and Sakurai's not going to allow that.
Look at all these opinions!

Aren't they nice everyone?

These are some nice opinions.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Company Passes huh, well I’ll do a worthy version and who I’d want more selfishly will be in brackets.

Capcom
1. Jill Valentine “Resident Evil” (Leon Kennedy)
2. Dante “Devil May Cry”
3. Pheonix Wright “Ace Attourney” (Nemesis)
4. Mike Haggar “Final Fight” (Urien)
5. Amaterasu “Okami” (Vergil)
6. Arthur “Ghosts and Goblins” (Wesker)

Namco
1. Heihachi “Tekken”
2. Nightmare “Soul Calibur”
3. Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) (Solarie)
4. Lloyd “Tales of” (Cervantes)
5. Klonoa “Klonoa” (King)
6. The Prince “Katamari Damacy” (Steve)

Square Enix
1. Sora “Kingdom Hearts”
2. Sephiroth “Final Fantasy”
3. Lara Croft “Tomb Raider”
4. Chrono “Chrono Trigger”
5. Agnes “Bravely Default” (Riku)
6. Geno “Super Mario RPG”

Microsoft
1. Master Chief “Halo”
2. Steve “Minecraft” (Gruntilda)
3. Conker “Conkers Bad Fur Day”
4. Rash “Battletoads” (Arbiter)
5. Fulgore “Killer Instinct” (Aganos)
6. Joanna Dark “Perfect Dark” (Mumbo Jumbo)

Sega
1. Shadow “Sonic”
2. Knuckles “Sonic”
3. Aiai “Super Monkey Ball” (Tails)
4. Dr Robotnic “Sonic”
5. Jack Frost ”Megami Tensei” (Amy)
6. Akira “Virtua Fighter” (Rouge)

Konami
1. Goemon “Mystical Ninja”
2. Bomberman “Bomberman”
3. Alucard “Castlevania”
4. Bill Rizer “Contra”
5. Raiden “Metal Gear Solid”
6. Frogger “Frogger” (The Boss)

Ubisoft (That’s all)
1. Rayman “Rayman”
2. Altair “Assassins Creed”
3. Prince “Prince of Persia”

Activision
1. Crash “Crash Bandicoot”
2. Spyro “Spyro the dragon”
3. Tracer “Overwatch” (Dr Neo Cortex)
4. Diablo “Diablo” (Ripto)
5. Johnny Knox “Guitar Hero”
6. Jim Raynor “Starcraft” (Gnasty Knorc)

Koei Techmo (That’s all)

1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
2. Kasumi (Dead or Alive)
3. Yuri (Fatal Frame)
4. Suezo (Monster Rancher)
5. Nobunaga? (Dynasty Warriors)
6. ???

Snk (don’t know enough, there would be a metal slug rep tho)
Here is my list:

Capcom

Dante (Devil May Cry)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Akuma (Street Fighter)

Sega

Shadow (Sonic)
NiGHTS (NiGHTS)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Gillius (Golden Axe)
Eggman (Sonic)
Jacky (Virtua Fighter)

Bandai Namco

Heihachi (Tekken)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Klonoa (Klonoa)
Lloyd (Tales of)

Sony

Kratos (God of War)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Sir Dan (MedEvil)

Square Enix

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)
2B (Nier Automata)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Microsoft

Master Chief (Halo)
Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War)

Arc System Works

Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue)
Hyde (Under-Night in Birth)
Billy (Double Dragon)

Konami

Bomberman (Bomberman)
Alucard (Castlevania)
Bill (Contra)
Raiden (Metal Gear)

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
With promotions, they seem to ignore the fact that a character had a non-playable role previously. I think they'd simply ignore how Waluigi was an AT besides a minor joke (IE: have him KO Marth on Lumiose City as a reference to how he was revealed to still be an AT.)
Little Mac, Isabelle, and Dark Samus are all fighters that just so happened to be Assist Trophies before. Waluigi would be getting in due to the massive fan-demand because of him being an assist trophy. I have no doubt they'd reference it a good bit, at least to the level of :ultroy2: in :4feroy:'s trailer.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here is my list:

Capcom

Dante (Devil May Cry)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Zero (Mega Man X)
Akuma (Street Fighter)

Sega

Shadow (Sonic)
NiGHTS (NiGHTS)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Gillius (Golden Axe)
Eggman (Sonic)
Jacky (Virtua Fighter)

Bandai Namco

Heihachi (Tekken)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Klonoa (Klonoa)

Sony

Kratos (God of War)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Sir Dan (MedEvil)

Square Enix

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy)
2B (Nier Automata)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)

Microsoft

Master Chief (Halo)
Conker (Conker's Bad Fur Day)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Marcus Fenix (Gears of War)

Arc System Works

Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue)
Hyde (Under-Night in Birth)
Billy (Double Dragon)

Konami

Bomberman (Bomberman)
Alucard (Castlevania)
Bill (Contra)
Raiden (Metal Gear)
If we’re playing this game:

Capcom: Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe
Sega: Eggman, Kiryu, Ulala, Kasumi Yoshizawa (Persona 5 Royal)
Bandai Namco: Velvet Crowe, KOS-MOS, Cassandra
Square Enix: Terra Branford, 2B, Neku Sakuraba, someone from Bravely Default or Octopath Traveler
Microsoft: Master Chief, Ori
Konami: Rising!Raiden, idk someone from Silent Hill
Spike Chunsoft: Monokuma

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If we’re playing this game:

Capcom: Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe
Sega: Eggman, Kiryu, Ulala, Kasumi Yoshizawa (Persona 5 Royal)
Bandai Namco: Velvet Crowe, KOS-MOS, Cassandra
Square Enix: Terra Branford, 2B, Neku Sakuraba, someone from Bravely Default or Octopath Traveler
Microsoft: Master Chief, Ori
Konami: Rising!Raiden, idk someone from Silent Hill
Spike Chunsoft: Monokuma
Not to pry or anything, but do you have a problem with Monokuma?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not to pry or anything, but do you have a problem with Monokuma?
No, quite the opposite in fact. I just don’t see him as likely

unless this was a list for ppl you don’t want and the quote was hidden as I have someone on ignore so I’m missing context

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hate being that person to say it, but I really wonder if the people who say, “X character is boring and brings nothing new”, “Y character doesn’t have personality”, “Z character is impossible without these references” have played the games with the characters in question.

Just seems to be something the Smash fanbase does with things they haven’t played or things that aren’t on Nintendo consoles. It’s too bad, because there are even characters on the roster people talk a lot about while knowing little about them, and it shows.

This isn’t about anybody in particular, just something I’ve observed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom