• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Any DLC picks you guys think are mutually exclusive (i.e. if one is added, it deconfirms the other characters)?

I personally don't think any 3rd party publishers are going to license more than 1 character for FPv2, but you never know capcom

Doom Slayer and Chief are both green-scifi-military-action-hero-man, so if one is in the other is probably out.

Dante, Travis, and Sol Badguy are red-leather-edge-sword gang.

I don't think we'll get more than one jrpg character we will get no less than 3

What do you guys think?
I kind of get not wanting two characters to be similar aesthetically, but I think Dante and Sol for example, are pretty different visually. General artstyle alone would play into that. Sol's proportions are way more exaggerated than Dante, who's fairly realistic looking, barring his hair color. At best, they'd probably attract a similar audience.

Same with Doom Slayer and Master Chief, if they were realized like their own games, they'd play pretty differently. And aesthetically, their fairly similar, but Doom Slayer having Exposed Arms and a Stockier build, while Master Chief is damn near 8ft tall gives each something unique. Though I agree we probably wouldn't both together so close to one another.

Both Hero and Byleth are Medieval-ish style characters, but have two different takes on that style.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
LMAO you seriously believe that ****? :laugh:

Fearmongering as usual. Also probably people making crap up to get attention using the virus to their advantage. All that sounds like pure science fiction with the whole weaponizing BS and reinfection.
Well that escalated quickly.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
LMAO you seriously believe that ****? :laugh:

Fearmongering as usual. Also probably people making crap up to get attention using the virus to their advantage. All that sounds like pure science fiction with the whole weaponizing BS and reinfection.
Reinfection and weaponizing of coronavirus come from the New York Post, which posts a lot of sensationalist articles. So, those claims are probably fake, but who knows.

Coronavirus is still a serious threat to worldwide health, and is on pace to potentially become a pandemic. It's not to be taken lightly, and people shouldn't be mocked for having fears about it. Have some basic respect.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Reinfection and weaponizing of coronavirus come from the New York Post, which posts a lot of sensationalist articles. So, those claims are probably fake, but who knows.

Coronavirus is still a serious threat to worldwide health, and is on pace to potentially become a pandemic. It's not to be taken lightly, and people shouldn't be mocked for having fears about it.
Coronavirus for Smash, Bubonic Plague as an echo fighter

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Coronavirus is still a serious threat to worldwide health, and is on pace to potentially become a pandemic. It's not to be taken lightly, and people shouldn't be mocked for having fears about it. Have some basic respect.
Swine flu of 2009? Zika virus of 2015-16?

Still here.

Swine flu alone caused over 200,000 deaths. As tragic as it is along with the causalities so far by the corona my point is its not the next black plague or apocalypse. Yes we should still be concerned but the world isn't ending as people are making it out to be.

I used to be among those that panicked when the swine flu occurred to the point I didn't want to leave my house but look at me now. I'm just living life as it is and like any other virus it'll die down since were containing it, have better understanding of them today back then during the 14th century and modern medicine. This won't be the first and won't be the last.

Look I don't mean to come across insensitive I'm just tired of this fearmongering when it isn't as dangerous as its made out to be and trying to stop these exaggerations from spreading. If it were as deadly as it is there'd be more cases and a lot more being dead.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Still here.

Swine flu alone caused over 200,000 deaths. As tragic as it is along with the causalities so far by the corona my point is its not the next black plague or apocalypse. Yes we should still be concerned but the world isn't ending as people are making it out to be.

I used to be among those that panicked when the swine flu occurred to the point I didn't want to leave my house but look at me now. I'm just living life as it is and like any other virus it'll die down. This won't be the first and won't be the last.

can we talk about smash bros again pls

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
can we talk about smash bros again pls
Maybe if people didn't keep bringing it up this wouldn't be discussed and I keep trying to tell people its not the next black plague though we should still be concerned (Which we're never going to have again due to better understanding of viruses and modern medicine unlike the 14th century) nor close to being that dangerous but they still insist bringing it up.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I kind of get not wanting two characters to be similar aesthetically, but I think Dante and Sol for example, are pretty different visually. General artstyle alone would play into that. Sol's proportions are way more exaggerated than Dante, who's fairly realistic looking, barring his hair color. At best, they'd probably attract a similar audience.
Personally, I think DMC and GG being heavily combo-focused would be Sakurai's concern about having both Dante and Sol in the pass. Not both of them being red-clad sword users.

Granted, Sol has a different movset meaning no things like using pistols to juggle enemies, comes from a game with different combo mechanics overall like the Roman Cancel, and would have more FGC appeal.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Aight

Monkey's paw time

You get your ideal fighter pass, but 3 of the characters are so god-awful stanky bad that they're totally unviable at all but the lowest levels of play, and the other 3 are so good that they break the competetive scene at Brawl MK levels.

take ya picks

Heoj

Smash Ace
Aight

Monkey's paw time

You get your ideal fighter pass, but 3 of the characters are so god-awful stanky bad that they're totally unviable at all but the lowest levels of play, and the other 3 are so good that they break the competetive scene at Brawl MK levels.

take ya picks
good:
Geno
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton

ohgod:
Tabuu
Primid
Mr. Saturn

This would be hilarious

D

Deleted member

Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
Do I get to choose which are stank bad?

D

Deleted member

Good morning.

Damn, what's a crapton of people doing here? Leaks perhaps or...

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
I wanted Robin in Smash 4 and Ridley in Ultimate. Neither of them are top tier. Conversely I wanted Vergil in MVC3 and he broke that game. I honestly didn't care in any of these cases because they were all fun to play.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Good morning.

Damn, what's a crapton of people doing here? Leaks perhaps or...
Nope, nothing leaked. And it'll (likely) stay that way for a while since Nintendo has upped the ante on their anti-leak policies ever since the Sword and Shield leaks, resulting in people like Zippo no longer leaking Nintendo stuff and Sabi temporarily deactivating their twitter account.

Only thing that happened recently is that we got a new spirit event and we're getting a spirit from Warframe. Otherwise, all we've been doing recently is talking about some characters who could be DLC. There also isn't a Nintendo Direct announcement for February, so we'll have to wait and see if there is one in March.

D

Deleted member

I honestly didn't care in any of these cases because they were all fun to play.
Characters designed to break the game should come with a high skill ceiling and high skill floor so that it would be rewarding to pick said character. If you want to know a bad example of this, Tekken 7's Pre-Nerf Leroy Smith is probably an example.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
BOW BEFORE ME:
Neku
Elma
Black Shadow

“Why are we here? Just to suffer?”:
Bandana Dee
Octoling
KOS-MOS

... and now for something completely different
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Tbf Pac Maze does indeed deserve justice considering ****ing Mario Bros, Hanenbow, 75m and Pac Land were considered more important
Okay, but you guys keep saying this every damn time

Like, we get it, you guys want that not really fun poorly implemented stage vs. the others not really fun poorly implemented stages that we end up getting

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Presuming we are getting returning stages given the image what stages are you guys hoping to see return? I recall Poke Floats and Rainbow Road are among the most popular.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Presuming we are getting returning stages given the image what stages are you guys hoping to see return? I recall Poke Floats and Rainbow Road are among the most popular.
Those are pretty much the ones, yeah -- though the newest POTD has a lot of people saying they wish that previous versions of Battlefield and FD were selectable, which would be pretty sick.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Any DLC picks you guys think are mutually exclusive (i.e. if one is added, it deconfirms the other characters)?

I personally don't think any 3rd party publishers are going to license more than 1 character for FPv2, but you never know capcom

Doom Slayer and Chief are both green-scifi-military-action-hero-man, so if one is in the other is probably out.

Dante, Travis, and Sol Badguy are red-leather-edge-sword gang.

I don't think we'll get more than one jrpg character we will get no less than 3
  1. Overlap in potential audience. For example, right now we don't have a big Japanese fan favorite. If we got Arle, though, characters whose big claim to fame is Japanese popularity are done for.
    1. For FPV1, we did not get Geno, because Banjo represented the same fanbase.
  2. Overlap in playstyle or moveset. Granted, this likely wouldn't come up too often, but if there's no real way to make them stand out from the crowd, it'll be pretty hard to implement them into Smash without feeling like a waste of time.
    1. For FPV1, we did not have an example of hits.
  3. Overlap in series. Tales could be walking away with Lloyd or Yuri, but not both.
    1. Volume 1 went with no series getting multiple reps. Only one character, at that, came from a series with content in the base game.
  4. Overlap in third party publisher, though I believe this is the weakest of the bunch. Disregard if first party.
    1. Volume 1 had Atlus, Square-Enix, Microsoft, SNK and Nintendo (by publisher of game, so SEGA and Rare don't count here).
  5. Overlap in anything else has happened before. Genre, weapon usage, and I imagine similarity in design is only a matter of time.
For example, Geno competes with Waluigi and Paper Mario in terms of audience and series, while competing with 2B and Lara Croft for publisher. Considering the Action Commands are the descendant of Timed Hits, you could say Geno competes with Paper Mario for moveset, but the two would have so much of a difference in feel and animations that I don't think this is the case.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Those two and Planet Zebes, Sector Z, Melee Mute City, Pac-Maze and maybe Woolly World.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I would like to see all old stages return, but I think the image is just from the dev build. Anyway, it is wednesday. No announcements. so no direct this month I guess.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
We still got tonight otherwise there goes Zippo's credibility.
I hope for something. I would love to at least know the next character.
And if they did do a DLC for returning stages, I really REALLY REALLY want to see Metal Cavern, Sector Z, Brainstair 64 and Pokefloats return.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'd want Sector Z, Poke Floats, Mute City and Rainbow Road to return. Those last two are probably too much effort, but the first two should be peanuts. Poke Floats is the laziest stage in Smash history. All they have to do is replace the old Pokémon Stadium 2 models with more recent models.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
Gonna detail how I'd imagine they'd be broken:

:metaknight::
Lycanroc has an extremely strong combo game, great mobility, and a kill throw at 95% without rage. He also can set up two Stealth Rocks as his side special, basically serving a slightly weaker bumper that lasts indefinitely. His up-special is Kragg's Earth Pillar from Rivals of Aether, allowing him to effectively recover from anywhere.

Mega Man X has a dash/air dash mechanic, where he gains a burst in movement and can act immediately out of this. This effectively allows him to perform Smash Wii U Bayonetta-style ladder combos and walls of pain that kill at extremely low percents using weak aerials and the dash. He also has an extremely strong projectile game and can combine this with his dash to camp on one side of the stage and easily evade once his opponent actually reaches him.

Amaterasu can use the celestial brush, which briefly freezes everyone on screen and allows her to draw projectiles anywhere on the stage. Not only does this let her effectively pause the game, but she has consistent access to a number of options comparable to Hero and effectively infinite range. Ammy players don't have to go off stage to gimp people, they just need to powerslash them until they're too far to recover.

:ganondorf::
Shiori Fujisaki has the stats you'd expect of a dating sim character. She has the movement of Ike and the damage and knockback output of Sheik. She has a gimmick where she can permanently boost her stats, but the startup and endlag of these stat boosting attacks effectively makes it a free punish for who's even remotely close to her.

To replicate his durability in his home series, Crash has Mr. Game and Watch's weight and an extremely weak recovery. As such, Crash can realistically only survive until about 50% against most of the roster. To compensate for this, Crash's attacks have extremely high knockback, but he doesn't have the attack power or combo potential to consistently take advantage of this.

Bandana Dee has decent range (slightly less than the Belmonts' tilts) but also has frame data that would reflect this. Likewise, he also has Marth's tipper, making his damage output extremely inconsistent when not landing his tiny sweet spot. Weak mobility and a lack of projectiles makes gaining the stage control or positioning necessary to land tipper hits an absolute nightmare.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Nope, nothing leaked. And it'll (likely) stay that way for a while since Nintendo has upped the ante on their anti-leak policies ever since the Sword and Shield leaks, resulting in people like Zippo no longer leaking Nintendo stuff and Sabi temporarily deactivating their twitter account.

Only thing that happened recently is that we got a new spirit event and we're getting a spirit from Warframe. Otherwise, all we've been doing recently is talking about some characters who could be DLC. There also isn't a Nintendo Direct announcement for February, so we'll have to wait and see if there is one in March.
The Warframe Spirit is kinda interesting since Digital Extremes' owner is also one of SNK's three owners (LeYou, Hong Kong-based). The connection is minor and wonky, yes, but still interesting.

I'd want Sector Z, Poke Floats, Mute City and Rainbow Road to return. Those last two are probably too much effort, but the first two should be peanuts. Poke Floats is the laziest stage in Smash history. All they have to do is replace the old Pokémon Stadium 2 models with more recent models.
Pac-Maze or riot

I'd add Metal Cavern (IIRC), 64's Metal Mario stage to that list. Complete with all fighters there fastfalling like Metal Mario in that stage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still here.

I used to be among those that panicked when the swine flu occurred to the point I didn't want to leave my house but look at me now. I'm just living life as it is and like any other virus it'll die down since were containing it, have better understanding of them today back then during the 14th century and modern medicine. This won't be the first and won't be the last.

Look I don't mean to come across insensitive I'm just tired of this fearmongering when it isn't as dangerous as its made out to be and trying to stop these exaggerations from spreading. If it were as deadly as it is there'd be more cases and a lot more being dead.
Hey that "fearmongering" is helping people realize we should contain this **** instead of letting it spread out. Better to be safe than sorry on this one, bub. Especially in my case where a select few people infected with coronavirus were shipped into my state, and the disease can spread to where I'm living through no fault of my own. Hell, a friend of mine in Britain has to worry about it a couple blocks down the road. Yeah I think we have a little right to be concerned and that if you're privileged enough to not have to worry about it, you should probably be supporting those who do.

Like Tehponycorn said, "Have some basic respect." This matter doesn't revolve solely around you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey that "fearmongering" is helping people realize we should contain this **** instead of letting it spread out. Better to be safe than sorry on this one, bub. Especially in my case where a select few people infected with coronavirus were shipped into my state, and the disease can spread to where I'm living through no fault of my own. Hell, a friend of mine in Britain has to worry about it a couple blocks down the road. Yeah I think we have a little right to be concerned and that if you're privileged enough to not have to worry about it, you should probably be supporting those who do.

Like Tehponycorn said, "Have some basic respect." This matter doesn't revolve solely around you.
I thought we've long pass this already? Besides its off-topic and better to discuss in the social thread.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Personally, I think DMC and GG being heavily combo-focused would be Sakurai's concern about having both Dante and Sol in the pass. Not both of them being red-clad sword users.

Granted, Sol has a different movset meaning no things like using pistols to juggle enemies, comes from a game with different combo mechanics overall like the Roman Cancel, and would have more FGC appeal.
For sure. That's why I think adding in one over the other would still appeal to a similar group of people. I'm a DMC fan and despite not getting too deep into GG, I think Sol would be a character up my alley. I think both would be good additions, and would only be seen as redundant if they were released back to back or something.

Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
Mega Man X with Air Dashing back and forth constantly makes him hard to hit and can snipe from a far or get in close for melee attacks. Throw in Strike Chain as a tether too. Along with being fairly heavy since he's made of metal.

Ryu Hayabusa's faster than Sheik, hits about as hard as Chrom and has great recovery options. More importantly, his Dragon Sword has range on par with Marth, allowing him to contest most other characters when it comes to range.

Dixie would just be Smash 4 Diddy, but with better jumps and a little heavier.

Jin Kazama's in, but since Tekken has no projectiles and he can't sidestep, most matchups are hell.

Lara's guns are worse than Fox's and she doesn't have much combo potential.

Dante plays like DMC2 Dante, but his guns aren't nearly as good.

D

Deleted member

Okay, but you guys keep saying this every damn time

Like, we get it, you guys want that not really fun poorly implemented stage vs. the others not really fun poorly implemented stages that we end up getting
Of course we do. Pac-Maze looked awesome and is literally Pac-Man. Like Pac-man is not just a character, but an entire. Pac-Maze physically embodies what everybody knows about Pac-Man: The Maze! And when you compare it to Pac-Land, Pac-Maze looks like a God.

And if you want to get objective over it, only like a quarter or less of Smash Ultimate's stages are actually balanced and well-designed--and that's with stage hazards off. So yes I want my ****ty stage back because it was fun and one of the more memorable new stages on the 3DS.

Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
Man this is awful. Of course I want my most wanteds to be viable! I don't want Bomberman or Geno to be Kirby. That being said, I don't particularly gravitate toward top tiers unless they fit my style, so it wont be a huge lost.

Broken S-Tiers:
  • Rex & Pyra. Yes I want my anime waifu to break the game and everybody salty.
  • Hat Kid. What better way to expose A Hat in Time to people than by being actually good and really ****ing fun to play.
  • Digimon: A cool transformation gimmick that makes the character busted would be sick.
So Bad It Hurts:
  • Bomberman: I can see him being bad, especially if Sakurai doesn't do anything crazy special with him. But damn he'd cool, though. Honestly, as long as Sakurai makes him fun.
  • Geno: I also see him not being particularly busted.
  • Street Fighter rep because I'm used to them being unplayable for me.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man this is awful. Of course I want my most wanteds to be viable! I don't want Bomberman or Geno to be Kirby. That being said, I don't particularly gravitate toward top tiers unless they fit my style, so it wont be a huge lost.

Broken S-Tiers:
  • Rex & Pyra. Yes I want my anime waifu to break the game and everybody salty.
  • Hat Kid. What better way to expose A Hat in Time to people than by being actually good and really ****ing fun to play.
  • Digimon: A cool transformation gimmick that makes the character busted would be sick.
So Bad It Hurts:
  • Bomberman: I can see him being bad, especially if Sakurai doesn't do anything crazy special with him. But damn he'd cool, though. Honestly, as long as Sakurai makes him fun.
  • Geno: I also see him not being particularly busted.
  • Street Fighter rep because I'm used to them being unplayable for me.
But what if Chun had her Third Strike buttons?

Chun Li 3S Super.gif

Then again they could pick Dan, who'd for sure be a joke character.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
GENO WHIRL
What did Porky do?!
Fastest fighter ever thanks to stunt combos and an original down-b that turns that speed into raw damage. (Uniracer)
Steve's sign of peace/plea for mercy does not go through language barriers.
He spin. He only spin. (Crash)
Travis's lightsaberoid can't charge because he can't beat it. He is dead.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
:bowsermelee::
Bandana Dee- Slow with a massive tipper, light as all the other Kirby reps but without the extra jumps.
Kamek: He's slow, his projectiles are slow, and he's a feather
Frisk: Too gimmicky to see any play, ether you leave your opponents at 0% for 30 seconds or slowly lose control of your fighter to a CPU

:4bayonetta2::metaknight::foxmelee::

Grovyle: Time Gears are integrated into his moveset, he can stop time for a few seconds. On top of this, he's fast and hard hitting.
Megaman X: Air dash and fast projectiles, best zoner in the game.
Maxwell: Adjective (enemy) - Gone

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Aight

Monkey's paw time

take ya picks
Any six cool characters because I don't care about competitive viability.

My favorite Smash 4 newcomer is Little Mac and I love to play that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom