• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Still, doesn’t change that Byleth was easier to make than the other three I named, and that Nintendo proposed Byleth over the others. Spring Man’s an AT, Rex is a Mii and Howard is a Spirit cause Nintendo just didn’t want them to be playable
By the time Sakurai's team was done making Spring Man or Rex their games would be 2 years old. Nintendo wants to put in a character that had just been out on the market.

It might mean the only Nintendo characters we'll get are one's from games that align with Sakurai's schedule. But who can say?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
By the time Sakurai's team was done making Spring Man or Rex their games would be 2 years old. Nintendo wants to put in a character that had just been out on the market.

It might mean the only Nintendo characters we'll get are one's from games that align with Sakurai's schedule. But who can say?
Would that mean remasters (like Xenoblade DE) would stand a chance?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
God, Ezio would be such a cool ass ****ing character. Crossbow, bombs, hidden blades, swords, knives, hammers, axes, great swords, bare knuckle brawling, parachutes, flying machines, Assassin's in training, hidden guns, hook-blade, throwing knives, poison darts, air assassinations, leg sweeps, ****ing tanks, the list goes on and on and on dude, if there was a character with infinite possibilities it would be this mother ******.

You could even use other Assassin's like Altaïr, Connor, Edward, Shay, and Arno who all have histories with using crossbows, guns, bows, bombs, etc. To help differentiate the games as individual characters. Holy **** Assassin's Creed has so much untapped potential.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't think Smash has ever added a character to promote a remaster/rerelease/port and I don't think it will.
Smash breaks expectations all the time. So maybe they will? But nobody should get their hopes up. For every unusual "rule" breaking thing like Pirahna Plant we get twice as many typical things.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I would prefer Rex & Pyra or Elma before another Xenoblade 1 character, and I love that game.
My stance about it is the same with Final Fantasy, while it would be really cool to have Sephiroth, Tifa or any other FF7 character, I'd choose another FF protagonist. I love Cloud, but Final Fantasy has some amazing protags such as Cecil, Terra, Zidane and Tidus.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As someone who considers Earthbound the easiest fanbase to poke fun at, wanting Ninten is ACTUALLY dumb, people complain about characters being redundant because they both wield the same weapon despite using it differently and then here's Ninten who looks the EXACT ****ing same as Ness who'd most likely have the exact same moveset
The first Mother actually has some weapons and moves that the other two games don't have (and lacks a few the other two do have), and imo Ninten is distinct enough from Ness with the thicker blue lines, blue shoes, and his cap turned differently + a different(?) face, though they could add a bandana since Ninten in the official Mother TV advertisement had one. I think he could be a semi-clone like Lucas, though there's enough for him to be completely unique imo. Making him an echo of Ness wouldn't be accurate for most of his moves, nor his game.

That said, I'd also really like Porky, want him a bit more tbh but Ninten would still be cool.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I mean the lack of an spirit is pretty suspicious don't you think? That's unless an Spirit Board or event involving Mother occurs that is...
“Hey guys, they didn’t put this specific character as Spirit, that means they totally gonna be a character!"

If that's the cause Yuri form Fire Emblem also has a high likely hood to join

D

Deleted member

As someone who considers Earthbound the easiest fanbase to poke fun at, wanting Ninten is ACTUALLY dumb, people complain about characters being redundant because they both wield the same weapon despite using it differently and then here's Ninten who looks the EXACT ****ing same as Ness who'd most likely have the exact same moveset
Mother has a lot of recognizable villains it could pull from that'd be far more interesting than "Ness but from the worst game in the series." Masked Man, Porky, even Giygas all are more recognizable and frankly more remembered than Ninten.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The first Mother actually has some weapons and moves that the other two games don't have (and lacks a few the other two do have), and imo Ninten is distinct enough from Ness with the thicker blue lines, blue shoes, and his cap turned differently + a different(?) face, though they could add a bandana since Ninten in the official Mother TV advertisement had one. I think he could be a semi-clone like Lucas, though there's enough for him to be completely unique imo. Making him an echo of Ness wouldn't be accurate for most of his moves, nor his game.

That said, I'd also really like Porky, want him a bit more tbh but Ninten would still be cool.
Nah fam if they look like a palette swap then they ain't getting a unique moveset as to prevent visual confusion.

Ness and Lucas aren't accurate to their roles in combat either as Ness is more of a tank alongside his chubbier sprite reflecting that and Lucas is a supporter instead of offence

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
“Hey guys, they didn’t put this specific character as Spirit, that means they totally gonna be a character!"

Robin: I cast magic from my books
Zelda: I cast magic from my hands
Yuri Fire Emblem:
finger gun.jpg

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Hey, if it gets us Gray from Mega Man ZXA or Vile we're Gucci.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nah fam if they look like a palette swap then they ain't getting a unique moveset as to prevent visual confusion.

Ness and Lucas aren't accurate to their roles in combat either as Ness is more of a tank alongside his chubbier sprite reflecting that and Lucas is a supporter instead of offence
Yes, they're not really accurate either, but they still use moves from their games.

Mother 1 doesn't have PK Flash, Starstorm, or yo-yos, and has stuff Mother 2 and 3 don't. Granted, some of the moves they share with Mother could've also been given to Ness and Lucas to make them at least a bit more accurate, but I guess Sakurai wanted to make them reference the games as a whole, meaning Ninten would likely keep the same side, up, and down specials at least...

I still think Ninten could be kept separate from Ness despite looking almost the same, he's still different enough imo + if they add the bandana.

All this said, I'm not expecting him to get in at all, however. Not even Porky, as much as I'd love his inclusion, and while I do think Ninten could be separate from Ness, I admit Sakurai may look at him and think the same way about his looks as y'all do.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I have a solid feeling were getting 1 west character this time. No more no less. With Banjo, Shovel Knight AT, Sans/Cuphead/Altair costumes, and 2 western composers doing new remixes, Id say enough connections have been made for the team to be comfortable with working with another western team. I dont have a single clue who it would be though.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I have a solid feeling were getting 1 west character this time. No more no less. With Banjo, Shovel Knight AT, Sans/Cuphead/Altair costumes, and 2 western composers doing new remixes, Id say enough connections have been made for the team to be comfortable with working with another western team. I dont have a single clue who it would be though.
All bets on it being Crash if that's so.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
FE:3H and Cadence costumes with Waluigi
Monster Hunters, Cacodemon hat and Doom Marine outfit with Dante
Mallow hat, Smithy costume, Chocobo hat, Lazy Shell hat and Crono costume with Geno
Most rumored indie costumes, including Kris and Hollow Knight, with Reimu
Gil, Heihachi, Yuri Lowell, and Nightmare costumes with Lloyd
Ori and Steve costumes with Master Chief
prediction 2.png

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
However, the pass isn’t just for the majority. It’s for everyone. I mean, fighter pass 1 had like several huge bangers yet, everyone got focused on one because “wuzznt mah karacter”
I don't buy that at all, because lots of characters in the pass weren't people's character, but only Byleth got the backlash it did.

blackghost

Smash Champion
5 games. Banjo Kazooie had 5 games. Banjo is almost exclusively recognized as "That one game from the N64".

Also the hell are you going on about when the point was that Banjo's cult classic status means Ammy's cult classic status can't be dismissed
banjo by definition is not a cult classic. its top ten n64 game in total sales.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I don't think Smash has ever added a character to promote a remaster/rerelease/port and I don't think it will.
While they have not added an entire character to promote one of those, they have still done things to promote them, such as the Gerudo Valley stage being in Smash 3DS most likely due to OOT 3D, and how every reference to DQXI in Ultimate specifically refers to it by the Switch port’s name.

Heoj

Smash Ace
FE:3H and Cadence costumes with Waluigi
Monster Hunters, Cacodemon hat and Doom Marine outfit with Dante
Mallow hat, Smithy costume, Chocobo hat, Lazy Shell hat and Crono costume with Geno
Most rumored indie costumes, including Kris and Hollow Knight, with Reimu
Gil, Heihachi, Yuri Lowell, and Nightmare costumes with Lloyd
Ori and Steve costumes with Master Chief
View attachment 263784
Holy **** that fighters pass is beautiful
:drflip:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well it's that time again in a few hours. The Darkest hour of the week is almost here again. Who's going to be exiled off of Smash Island this time?

D

Deleted member

"New Horizons release date was pushed back from 2019 to March 2020"
"FPVol.2 likely started being planned around E3 2019 when New Horizons was announced and pushed back"
This is how Tom Nook can still win!:4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While they have not added an entire character to promote one of those, they have still done things to promote them, such as the Gerudo Valley stage being in Smash 3DS most likely due to OOT 3D, and how every reference to DQXI in Ultimate specifically refers to it by the Switch port’s name.
I mean, if he counts, Pokemon Trainer was first included in his Fire Red/Leaf Green design. :pt:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well it's that time again in a few hours. The Darkest hour of the week is almost here again. Who's going to be exiled off of Smash Island this time?
Devil May Cry 3 SE was released a few days ago on the Switch...

please Sakurai, don't.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
QUOTE="Schnee117, post: 23850949, member: 261779"]It's telling for Ninten that people use a fan created render that changes his look a whole bunch when he's just Proto-Ness[/QUOTE]
That design for Ninten originated from an official ad for the original Mother game.

D

Deleted member

No wonder everyone's suddenly active all of a sudden. For once, I'm glad it's early morning where I'm from.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Anybody got some crazy predictions for today’s potential spirit event ?

A series I'd love for an spirit event is the Sid Meier's Civilization series, as it recently all the expansion packs ported over to Switch. An Xcom spirit event would be cool too since It’s apparently Xcom 2 got rated for the Switch although not officially announced yet.

D

Deleted member

A series I'd love for an spirit event is the Sid Meier's Civilization series, as it recently all the expansion packs ported over to Switch. An Xcom spirit event would be cool too since It’s apparently Xcom 2 got rated for the Switch although not officially announced yet.
Dude Civ with be cool...I guess.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And it took me a long time, but... I finally did a Fighter's Pass 2 template.

Two users, Silver and Azure, helped me out with making BG's usable among other things.

ssbfp2templatefinal.png

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Anybody got some crazy predictions for today’s potential spirit event ?
Just watch it be some extreme frontrunner IP (as in the "This character is 100% guaranteed to be in and there is no way they're not happening" type of frontrunner) like Crash Bandicoot or something.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
And it took me a long time, but... I finally did a Fighter's Pass 2 template.

Two users, Silver and Azure, helped me out with making BG's usable among other things.

Aw yeah Fulgore, give me that Mick Gordon metal soundtrack please!
Just watch it be some extreme frontrunner IP (as in the "This character is 100% guaranteed to be in and there is no way they're not happening" type of frontrunner) like Crash Bandicoot or something.
I'd be bummed to see Crash out of the running, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't enjoy the chaos a Crash Bandicoot spirit event would cause.

D

Deleted member

Tbh all this frontrunner stuff is slowly bexoming more toxic...everyone has an equal chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom