• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we'll get five third parties people talk the most about. I'm 90% sure Nintendo will add three or four relatively nicher characters and Sakurai will be like:

View attachment 263081
I would argue that Rayman and Master Chief, while popular, are nowhere near the most talked about 3rd parties. Doom is way more speculated than Halo and Rayman is considered too much of a "literal who" for Japan, so if anything Sakurai could educate Japanese gamers on Rayman should he become a character.

I'd argue Ninja Gaiden, Doom, Kingdom Hearts and hell even Shantae are more popular than those two picks.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I have a really bizarre feeling that since Sakurai said these were “extra” characters, it’ll mostly be characters that aren’t particularly highly requested, and most likely more first than third parties too
I don’t know how you drew this conclusion.

He clearly was referring to them being more than originally intended, AKA bonus characters.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I have a really bizarre feeling that since Sakurai said these were “extra” characters, it’ll mostly be characters that aren’t particularly highly requested, and most likely more first than third parties too
Why?

I don't see Nintendo suddenly saying "ok, we're going to do more DLC, but theres probably going to be less people interested than the first time around because the game is a bit older, so we are going to pick characters that aren't very exciting or news worthy and won't get people interested in the game again?"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Why?

I don't see Nintendo suddenly saying "ok, we're going to do more DLC, but theres probably going to be less people interested than the first time around because the game is a bit older, so we are going to pick characters that aren't very exciting or news worthy and won't get people interested in the game again?"
“Not particularly highly requested” as in no HUGE BIG NAMES like Dante or Master Chief, but you know the phrase “one man’s trash is another’s treasure”

or in this case, what may be “meh” to some are “HELL YEAH” to much more people

if Crash really is in the pass he’d be the sole BIG NAME probably, rest are characters with a slightly smaller but more dedicated following

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Things that I think probably deconfirm characters:

* Not being the posterchild of at least one game (Doesn't have to be the main protag, like Nightmare for Soul Calibur or Geno for SMRPG).

* Having a spirits/mii costumes from their game added as post-launch spirits (For example RE, Pokemon Sw/Sh, etc.).
- To a lesser extent, being a base-game Spirit, Mii costume, or AT.

* Being an indie character (looking like those are gonna be 'deluxe' Mii's at this point).

* Being partially owned/associated with Disney.

* Not being a video game character.

* Not being for good boys and girls

That's pretty much my list of doubt criteria. Anything you guys think deconfirms?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
“Not particularly highly requested” as in no HUGE BIG NAMES like Dante or Master Chief, but you know the phrase “one man’s trash is another’s treasure”

if Crash really is in the pass he’d be the sole BIG NAME probably, rest are characters with a slightly smaller but more dedicated following
So more third parties like Joker and Terry, then?

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
So more third parties like Joker and Terry, then?
I'd argue Joker was pretty big.

That said, the 'big' characters of this pass will probably the FP6 and whichever 2 are revealed at E3 2020 and 2021.

Biggest names that are likely are probably Crash and Dante, smaller characters I can see getting picked are Geno and Heihachi

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Things that I think probably deconfirm characters:

* Not being the posterchild of at least one game (Doesn't have to be the main protag, like Nightmare for Soul Calibur or Geno for SMRPG).

* Having a spirits/mii costumes from their game added as post-launch spirits (For example RE, Pokemon Sw/Sh, etc.).
- To a lesser extent, being a base-game Spirit, Mii costume, or AT.

* Being an indie character (looking like those are gonna be 'deluxe' Mii's at this point).

* Being partially owned/associated with Disney.

* Not being a video game character.

* Not being for good boys and girls

That's pretty much my list of doubt criteria. Anything you guys think deconfirms?
A lot of this is subjective, and some of it’s very pointed. Truth is no one knows. It’s all just conjecture, wishful thinking, and tinfoil hat fan speculation.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
To be fair, last pass we only got one REALLY big name: :ulthero:. Relative to other franchises in Smash, Persona, Fatal Fury, and Banjo-Kazooie are relatively niche.

I'm expecting this to be the case of Fighter's Pass 2. There'll be 2 big characters at most, with the rest being requested or recent Nintendo characters and smaller third parties. My bet's on Crash and Heihachi personally, but there's numerous characters who could fill this out.

Krankees

Smash Ace

I'm not really sure if this is the case but I'm gonna say it anyway.

This is how Phoenix Wright can win.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

That said, the 'big' characters of this pass will probably the FP6 and whichever 2 are revealed at E3 2020 and 2021.

Biggest names that are likely are probably Crash and Dante, smaller characters I can see getting picked are Geno and Heihachi
>Imagine unironically saying Heihachi/Tekken is as small as Geno

Quite the echo chamber this place is, huh.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
“Really extra” could also be interpreted as “extra characters to please the fans including big names” if we don’t just treat it as saying the characters originally weren’t going to happen.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Just say you are reaching for Neku and KOS-MOS.

There is literally no reason to think why “extra” would mean anything other than “bonus content” unless you are intentionally trying to draw a conclusion that isn’t there.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I feel like we all have a different idea of what a small or big character actually is. Like obviously some characters are bigger like Master Chief or Crash, some characters are smaller like Geno or Travis, but I see people saying HEIHACHI, from LITERALLY THE BEST SELLING FIGHTING GAME SERIES IN THE WORLD (or atleast was, Mortal Kombat might have beaten it now) is somehow niche.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm not really sure if this is the case but I'm gonna say it anyway.

This is how Phoenix Wright can win.
Phoenix actually fits this descriptive extremely well. He's not a massive character by any means, but he's big enough and is a huge crowd pleaser. Plus, he would come with an extremely unique moveset.

On the inevitable Courtroom stage, I want the gallery to start rabbling amongst themselves whenever a KO happens, only for the Judge to slam his gavel down and call order in the court.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel like we all have a different idea of what a small or big character actually is. Like obviously some characters are bigger like Master Chief or Crash, some characters are smaller like Geno or Travis, but I see people saying HEIHACHI, from LITERALLY THE BEST SELLING FIGHTING GAME SERIES IN THE WORLD (or atleast was, Mortal Kombat might have beaten it now) is somehow niche.
Speaking of Mortal Kombat has anyone shared this?

https://www.shacknews.com/article/116358/ed-boon-talks-mortal-kombat-11-smash-ultimate-dlc-more

Not saying Scorpion's guarantee or anything but figured I'd share. Heihachi I think is far more likely.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Hey, Dante fan here, in which universe Devil May Cry is bigger than Tekken?

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't get why people are trying to find hints about the "extra characters" quote. It literally means that there's more characters coming and that's it. I don't see how that hints toward more first party or more niche characters.

I.D.

Smash Lord
There is literally no reason to think why “extra” would mean anything other than “bonus content” unless you are intentionally trying to draw a conclusion that isn’t there.
Well why the **** did you ask then, nobody even tried to ascribe a hidden meaning to that line until you brought it up

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well why the **** did you ask then, nobody even tried to ascribe a hidden meaning to that line until you brought it up
What are you even talking about? Are you even following the conversation?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't get why people are trying to find hints about the "extra characters" quote. It literally means that there's more characters coming and that's it. I don't see how that hints toward more first party or more niche characters.
Never underestimate how goddamn desperate some people in this fandom can be, remember, people always make conspiracy theories here

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well people just need to find out how to level their expectations by finding out what Sakurai means.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Never underestimate how goddamn desperate some people in this fandom can be, remember, people always make conspiracy theories here
Well, desperation is subjective.
Specifically, it's people who want characters you don't care about who are desperate, and people who want characters you do care about who are reasonable. (Saying this in a general sense, not "you" in particular).

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
A lot of this is subjective, and some of it’s very pointed. Truth is no one knows. It’s all just conjecture, wishful thinking, and tinfoil hat fan speculation.
Some of those listed there are ones that can be easily dispelled. And really, after a ton of previous fan rules being broken, I won't be surprised if more of those fan rules get broken. We had a lot of rules broekn already last DLC cycle.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I can only just imagine the ****show this will be once we get to the 6th and final DLC character...The entire fandom biting at each others necks...

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Being extra doesn't mean jack **** as far as these guys are concerned. Remember back when Sakurai said that 4's DLC characters would be fanservice and the we got Corrin? His perception of stuff like that is different from what fans may think.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Right? He was basically like, "Everyone, tell me what you think this means, cause I got a whole stack of "**** you, idiot!" responses ready to use."

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Heihachi small? As much as Geno?

Since when? I thought Tekken was up there with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter as the most iconic fighting games.

Last edited:

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice

"Smaller"? Last time I checked Tekken sold 49 million copies while Devil May Cry only sold 21 million copies. Putting Heihachi on the same scale as Geno and calling him small is not genuine.
But kudos to you for chosing him as the Namco rep and not the literal who named Lloyd like some deluded Tales fanboys often do (heavily overestimating their niche series).

SKX31

Smash Master
How would they even make a Rayman Mii Costume though? If anything I think the Ubisoft costumes coming in a random pack and not with a Ubisoft character is like the opposite of a huge sign, it feels like a death sentence.
A couple points:

While it seems really unlikely - what with Altair's trailer having AC2's main theme over it - I'm personally not going to call that a death sentence. Partly out of principle - "death sentence" feels weird to say when a game series gets any reps, especially one that was never seen as likely. I'd never call a Dota 2 Mii Costume a death sentence, even if it means one of my favorite games gets deconfirmed. And Dota 2's really out of the radar. Nor would I call Lloyd's Mii Costume a death sentence despite him being waaay more likely in peoples' eyes. Sure, it ain't what a lot of people here want - but even if we assume 6 fan favorites it's gonna be some tough competition and some fan favorites that wind up not playable. Mii Costumes are better than being left out completely. I'm also personally the "never say die" kind, but that's another thing entirely.

If we want to be technical Mii Costumes are not included in the Challenger Packs per se, and they can be separate negotiations from the CPs (Sans / Cuphead etc). It's also not a death sentence for the company since Ubisoft still has characters like Prince of Persia - AC's potential inspiration. Now that's a major dark horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom