• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Except for those characters are from the same series so that's a false equivalency. And Joker never appeared in Playstation All Stars so.....
Rofl.

Atlus has made it clear at this point SMT and Persona are different entities.

And I guess we can’t have Dante either by that logic, lol.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Heihachi is the poster child of Tekken. While I think he is the bland one of the bunch. I honestly cannot see it being any other tekken character.

The battle.
Kosmos
Dark Souls
Heihachi
A tales person
Yoshimitsu (come on. You know he would be cool.)

Man Namco is a gold mine. Is Dig Dug namco also?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Personally though, I am hoping for Character from Video game. I remember playing Level 3 and thinking the game was really fun. They would be a perfect match for Smash.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Rofl.

Atlus has made it clear at this point SMT and Persona are different entities.

And I guess we can’t have Dante either by that logic, lol.
They are still part of the same series.

Why don't I ask you a question? This whole argument stemmed from JudgeHeihachi insisting that Tekken should get in over Tales because of Sales.

Do you think that Steve should have gotten in over Banjo-Kazooie, since it obviously sold so much more?

kylexv

Smash Master
Honestly my predictions are as such:
  • Geno
  • Crash
  • Dante
  • Hayabusa
  • Gen 8 Pokemon
  • Lloyd Irving or Sol Badguy
100% chance I'm wrong, but still.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
If we're talking a bit about Tekken and Tales Of, then Tekken is far bigger, and would fit extremly well as dlc, being consistently one of the best selling fighting game series, Heihachi himself is easily one of the biggest fighting game character they could add (I think that he is the 4th biggest fighting game character of all time, behind only Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li), plus he and Tekken directly appeared on Nintendo system, even if it was on the Wii U. Heihachi is a perfect fit for dlc, especialy since he's the obvious choice for a Tekken rep.

For Tales Of, it's not as big as Tekken, but still notable. Lloyd is the primary choice due to his game being one of the big jrpg of the Gamecube, but Yuri is far more popular, he's pretty much the Cloud of Tales Of, and seem like a better fit for dlc than Lloyd, who to me, is more of a base game character (for my though on base game vs dlc newcomer: base game appeal more directly to Nintendo audience, while dlc is more to appeal to general gaming audience, and while there's big counterpoint to this that you can make (Snake in Brawl, the veterans in Wii U, Banjo, Corrin and Byleth), it's still seem like what they are doing for third party for Ultimate (Execpt with Banjo)). And then there's Velvet Crowe, who is in the background, like Noctis when Sakurai chose Cloud in 4.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Honestly my predictions are as such:
  • Geno
  • Crash
  • Dante
  • Hayabusa
  • Gen 8 Pokemon
  • Lloyd Irving or Sol Badguy
100% chance I'm wrong, but still.
hmmm. I am not to sure. I predict
Crash
Kosmos
Rillaboom

mainly. Just have this feeling for Kosmos. Probably nostalgia.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd be pretty happy with Heihachi. Though Jin would still be my personal choice for a Tekken character. The guy's pretty much the actual protagonist, but I don't think that'd matter much. I'd be fine with Kazuya too, though of the 3, he's the one I'm the least attached to.

Heihachi is the poster child of Tekken. While I think he is the bland one of the bunch. I honestly cannot see it being any other tekken character.

The battle.
Kosmos
Dark Souls
Heihachi
A tales person

Yes, Dig Dug is owned by Namco.

I.D.

Smash Lord
If sales are so important why do we have playable Megaman and Ryu while Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are stuck with a bunch of spirits and a boss fight

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
"**** this character crossed over in another fighting game, guess we can't add 'em"
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultryu::ultken::ultsimon::ultsnake::ult_terry::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
Lets see.
Cloud was in Ehirgiz
Ryu and Ken are SF
Simon was in the Castlvania fighting gme.
Snake was in smash
Terry is from KOF.
Megaman was in MVC.
Pacman was in Namco Vs Capcom

not sure about Bayo.

I'd be pretty happy with Heihachi. Though Jin would still be my personal choice for a Tekken character. The guy's pretty much the actual protagonist, but I don't think that'd matter much. I'd be fine with Kazuya too, though of the 3, he's the one I'm the least attached to.

Yes, Dig Dug is owned by Namco.
I vote DigDug. He is the new Namco headliner.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You must’ve been in the camp that thought Shantal was confirmed because she wasn’t in any other fighting games. :DDD
Except for I already stated it had nothing to do with Fighting Games themselves. Try reading the thread more.

and for a second I thought we could get banjo, oh well
Microsoft is hell of a lot more friendly than Sony is.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

The battle.
Kosmos
Dark Souls
Heihachi
A tales person

Dig Dug is Namco. Actually Dig Dig has more content in Smash 4, the Pooka enemies were enemies in Smash run.

another Namco pick could be Don-Chan from Taiko no Tatsujin, he’s crossed over with Mario and other Nintendo IPs a few times.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You don't know that.
It's still a bit foolish to believe that a character showing up in one crossover fighting game, then means they can't show up in another.

If that were the case, Mega Man, Ryu, Ken, Terry, Pac-Man, Sonic(I think he was in Fighter's Mega Mix) Snake, and Simon wouldn't be in Smash. Bayo was in Anarchy Reigns, but that'd be more akin to Heihachi in SC2, as a singular guest within that game's context.

Snake and Simon in particular were in another Smash clone that happened to have Bomberman in it as well.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Do you think that Steve should have gotten in over Banjo-Kazooie, since it obviously sold so much more?
Kind of.

Coming from a supporter of Banjo and someone who loved the games, the more I think about it, Steve would’ve been a completely internet breaker.

And plus, Banjos inclusion has emboldened other fanbases to be even more obnoxious.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If we want to be technical Mii Costumes are not included in the Challenger Packs per se, and they can be separate negotiations from the CPs (Sans / Cuphead etc). It's also not a death sentence for the company since Ubisoft still has characters like Prince of Persia - AC's potential inspiration. Now that's a major dark horse.
Yeah after Cuphead's creators said it'd be cool to have him in Smash and us getting the costumes some time later, I legit wonder how long it takes for those kind of negotiations or for spirits.
I also wonder if the deluxe Mii Costumes are a special way of compensating for Indie characters who were never going to make it into this crossover of "precedented" video game icons/franchises anyway, sans perhaps potentially Steve because of how big Minecraft is, but maybe even he could get away with being a Mii costume?

In terms of new companies to expand the crossover... Are we good for viable third parties with popular enough games? They just gave Kunio-kun guys potentially only a spirit board event so far at least. And in terms of Westies, they seemed to shut down Bethesda and maybe also Ubisoft, with at least some totally Japan-popular series to their names maybe?
We still only have Banjo as a proper-ish Western character, despite everyone throwing out suggestions like "the original character from Tony Hawk's skateboarder games". If Ubisoft and Bethesda, as close to Nintendo as they are, still couldn't get their Western characters into the brawl, maybe there's still pretty strict criteria for whatever Western characters could make it into the game anyway, even if they have some level of Japan-popularity. There could totally be at least one; after putting Sans and Cuphead as realistic costumes it's not that far fetched to consider honestly, but I think people overestimate all these Western things for Japan and by extent Smash Bros to give a damn about, that ol' Japan.
I don't think we'll get five third parties people talk the most about. I'm 90% sure Nintendo will add three or four relatively nicher characters and Sakurai will be like:

View attachment 263081

by @David_Mismo on Twitter.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Lets see.
Cloud was in Ehirgiz
Ryu and Ken are SF
Simon was in the Castlvania fighting gme.
Snake was in smash
Terry is from KOF.
Megaman was in MVC.
Pacman was in Namco Vs Capcom

not sure about Bayo.
Simon and Snake were in DreamMix TV World Fighters with Optimus Prime and Beyblades back in 2003
Bayo was in Anarchy Reigns

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Microsoft is. But why are we talking about Sony? Heihachi is Namco.

Are we talking about PSASBR? I really did enjoy that game. It had potential. The developers should have chosen a better starting roster. And had more unlockables. But it was overall fun.

Simon and Snake were in DreamMix TV World Fighters with Optimus Prime and Beyblades back in 2003
Bayo was in Anarchy Reigns
I never heard of Anarchy Reigns. I need to look into it.
And I forgot about that Dream mix game. I wanted that to be ported back in the day. Looks so fun.
Thanking. Isn't Shovel knight also in a fighting game. He made it as an AT, but he was in a fighting game. Was also with Quote.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Are we talking about PSASBR? I really did enjoy that game. It had potential. The developers should have chosen a better starting roster. And had more unlockables. But it was overall fun.
According to rumors, PSASBR was supposed to have Cloud, but he was too expansive. Once again accordnig to rumor, getting Cloud cost Nintendo more than the entirity of PSASBR.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's still a bit foolish to believe that a character showing up in one crossover fighting game, then means they can't show up in another.

If that were the case, Mega Man, Ryu, Ken, Terry, Pac-Man, Sonic(I think he was in Fighter's Mega Mix) Snake, and Simon wouldn't be in Smash. Bayo was in Anarchy Reigns, but that'd be more akin to Heihachi in SC2, as a singular guest within that game's context.

Snake and Simon in particular were in another Smash clone that happened to have Bomberman in it as well.
Well, I've said before it's not "another crossover game", it's the rival equivalent crossover game, like the Justice League to the Avengers.

I'm not saying it's an impossibility btw, like all those bandwagoners have been jumping on me in this thread for. My whole original point was that just because a series sells slightly more than another doesn't mean it's far more deserving of it. But hey, the obnoxious fanbois don't care one bit!

Guess we have to remove the raiden spirit because he was in psabr..shame
Raiden appeared in Brawl first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Except for I already stated it had nothing to do with Fighting Games themselves. Try reading the thread more.

Microsoft is hell of a lot more friendly than Sony is.
so you're saying sony got bamco to sign a contract that meant heihachi couldn't appear in any crossovers besides psasbr

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I feel bad for the developers, they had like no budget and hardly any power to chose the characters They wanted.

The super move as the only way to kill was asinine though, completely invalided the gameplay and was much more of a sin than any glaring character omissions.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not another fighting game, a game that was literally created to try to be Sony's equivalent of Smash Bros (and failed miserably).
Wouldn't the fact that it failed miserably suggest that it doesn't matter? Not to mention you act as if this is an exclusivity deal when it clearly isn't, especially as Sony doesn't own Heihachi at all

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I never heard of Anarchy Reigns. I need to look into it.
And I forgot about that Dream mix game. I wanted that to be ported back in the day. Looks so fun.
Thanking. Isn't Shovel knight also in a fighting game. He made it as an AT, but he was in a fighting game. Was also with Quote.
Actually, Superbot (psasbr dev) was trying to get some third parties, but negotiation always fail. I've read that they wanted Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft and Lighning from FF. It didn't help the team that Sony gave them a super low budget to work with, so they had to go with promotional third party that was easier to get.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

100% agree with you.

It had ideas going for it like a rivals system, stage merging and custom intros plus it had an amazing intro movie. Had the gameplay been smoother, a better roster and more standout UI design it would have been a classic.
Instead it is a great experiment but an ok game.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Terry was also in stuff like Neo-Geo Battle Colosseum. Which expanded the KOF crossover idea into the more obscure side of SNK's and other non-fighting games like Metal Slug(though Metal Slug in and of itself isn't obscure). So stuff like World Heroes got in.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't have anything to add to the Tekken vs Tales argument.

I don't really care about either TBH, so I have no preference.
I don’t get the need to put them against each other either, but fanboys will do that.
If sales are so important why do we have playable Megaman and Ryu while Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are stuck with a bunch of spirits and a boss fight
In the case of Monster Hunter, I’m assuming they thought the boss fight/AT was the best way to include the series and that a MH fighter isn’t on the cards.
I agree with your overall point though. Just looking at sales figures and going down the list is barking up the wrong tree.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom