• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Your sarcasm and strawmanning is hilarious. I think you made your point several jokes ago. Why don't you go rag on the people who insist sales are the be all end all determiner of who deserves to be in Smash?

Oh wait that would go against your agenda.
Because your statement made literally no sense at all?

“A Namco character made a cameo appearance almost a decade ago. He can’t be included because of this”.

I know you are still in the “MUST NINTENDO RELATED!!!” mindset, but come on. That literally has no bearing whatsoever on his chances.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I feel bad for the developers, they had like no budget and hardly any power to chose the characters They wanted.

The super move as the only way to kill was asinine though, completely invalided the gameplay and was much more of a sin than any glaring character omissions.
100% agree with you.

It had ideas going for it like a rivals system, stage merging and custom intros and all not to mention an amazing into movie. Had the gameplay been smoother, a better roster and more standout UI design it would have been a classic.
Instead it is a great experiment but an ok game.

Super bot might have been hit with budget issues. Not sure what to say. I think that if they had thrown in Dart from Legend of Dragoon as a base roster character. And maybe just skipped on Big daddy, they might of had a better chance. They were missing key Playstation owned allstars.

Oh, and remove the super kill thing. That 2.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Your sarcasm and strawmanning is hilarious. I think you made your point several jokes ago. Why don't you go rag on the people who insist sales are the be all end all determiner of who deserves to be in Smash?

Oh wait that would go against your agenda.
My agenda of what exactly?
Pointing out that console wars are stupid? That other fighting game appearances mean nothing?

Take a chill pill mate

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I've said before it's not "another crossover game", it's the rival equivalent crossover game, like the Justice League to the Avengers.

I'm not saying it's an impossibility btw, like all those bandwagoners have been jumping on me in this thread for. My whole original point was that just because a series sells slightly more than another doesn't mean it's far more deserving of it. But hey, the obnoxious fanbois don't care one bit!

Raiden appeared in Brawl first.
I think the point of Simon and Snake(and Bomberman) being in Smash clones still applies then. I even agree that Tales still holds value as a potential candidate for a Smash character. Hell, both could get in for their own merits.

However Heihachi's merits shouldn't be downplayed either because he showed up in a Smash clone as well.

I know some people can get aggressive or smug about this stuff, so I apologize if I came off as rude.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

“A Namco character made a cameo appearance almost a decade ago. He can’t be included because of this”.

I know you are still in the “MUST NINTENDO RELATED!!!” mindset, but come on. That literally has no bearing whatsoever on his chances.
My point was about preferences. Not "HEIHACHI CAN NEVER GET IN EVER BECAUSE OF PLAYSTATION ALL STARS". Nor was my sentiment ever about must be Nintendo related, my original reply was to someone who said that Tales has a slightly larger following in the Nintendo fanbase.

But keep misconstruing my arguments and performing character assassinations. No wonder people hate this fanbase.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think the point of Simon and Snake(and Bomberman) being in Smash clones still applies then. I even agree that Tales still holds value as a potential candidate for a Smash character. Hell, both could get in for their own merits.

However Heihachi's merits shouldn't be downplayed either because he showed up in a Smash clone as well.

I know some people can get aggressive or smug about this stuff, so I apologize if I came off as rude.
My point wasn't really about that to begin with. This, again started because one of the Heihachi fanboys felt the need to s*** all over Tales and call it's fanbase deluded. I'm fine with either getting in too.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
My point was about preferences. Not "HEIHACHI CAN NEVER GET IN EVER BECAUSE OF PLAYSTATION ALL STARS". Nor was my sentiment ever about must be Nintendo related, my original reply was to someone who said that Tales has a slightly larger following in the Nintendo fanbase.

But keep misconstruing my arguments and performing character assassinations. No wonder people hate this fanbase.
I dont think following in Nintendo fanbase matters. Joker has none. Terry had none. Hero was only from the easy. Banjo was the west.
And Byleth. is Byleth.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I dont think following in Nintendo fanbase matters. Joker has none. Terry had none. Hero was only from the easy. Banjo was the west.
And Byleth. is Byleth.
I don't think sales matter either. That was my point to begin with.

My agenda of what exactly?
Pointing out that console wars are stupid? That other fighting game appearances mean nothing?

Take a chill pill mate
I'll gladly stop when you're finished with your witty one liners.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Honest question, if your argument had nothing to do with Heihachi's appearance in PSABR... Why bother bringing it up?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't think sales matter either. That was my point to begin with.
They don't matter either.

But if I had to rank who I think will make it, a tales character is lower on the list.

Kosmos / Heihachi / Dark souls / Namco Retro rep / Tales.
From a western sensibility.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Super bot might have been hit with budget issues. Not sure what to say. I think that if they had thrown in Dart from Legend of Dragoon as a base roster character. And maybe just skipped on Big daddy, they might of had a better chance. They were missing key Playstation owned allstars.

Oh, and remove the super kill thing. That 2.
Honestly I wish Sony would give PSASBR a second chance. I know that is really not likely, but they create some cool characters this gen that would made good fighters (Iota from tearaway, Pupeteer, Hunter from Bloodborne, Aloy from Horizon zero dawn, Ellie from TLOU). I think if they bring back every fighter from the first game and cut the third party, throw in their most recent character and add some bonus "forgotten" characters (Buzz, patapon, Locoroco) and add some secondary character from franchise already represented (Atreus from God of war, Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet & Clank), they could easily have around 35 characters. Just add a cool story mode and a better kill system and I think that would make a strong game.

Also on another note I love the original PSASBR idea of mixing two universe in each stage (like Patapon coming in the God of war stage). I think that was a very good idea.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Your argument about sales was also pretty nonsensical too.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If sales are so important why do we have playable Megaman and Ryu while Resident Evil and Monster Hunter are stuck with a bunch of spirits and a boss fight
I think it has less to do with the sales in and of themselves, and more to get an idea across that said franchises have a huge impact in the gaming industry. Sales are probably one of the most easily visible ways to express that.

Of course while MH and RE sell more than Mega Man and Street Fighter, the latter two aren't slouches in the sales department either. 35 and 39 million respectively in sales is impressive no matter how you slice it.

I also think, that the influence on gaming as a whole is what makes Mega Man and Street Fighter stand out. MM has likely influenced many action platformers with mechanics like Shovel Knight, 20XX and Gunvolt. CV and MM might've influenced each other back and forth, but I don't have solid evidence of that. And without Street Fighter, we wouldn't have Mortal Kombat, Fatal Fury, Killer Instinct or even Virtua Fighter and Tekken either. It practically started a genre.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Someone was trying to say Joker was on the same level as Heihachi. I simply brought up a way that Heihachi was more associated with the competitor than Joker was.

Sales don't matter. But it can help us gage interest in the series and where Namco puts its money. from VGcharts.
I think Tekken is a priority. Then Pacman and then Tales.

But I would love the drum from Taiko no Tatsujin.

----

I think it has less to do with the sales in and of themselves, and more to get an idea across that said franchises have a huge impact in the gaming industry. Sales are probably one of the most easily visible ways to express that.

Of course while MH and RE sell more than Mega Man and Street Fighter, the latter two aren't slouches in the sales department either. 35 and 39 million respectively in sales is impressive no matter how you slice it.

I also think, that the influence on gaming as a whole is what makes Mega Man and Street Fighter stand out. MM has likely influenced many action platformers with mechanics like Shovel Knight, 20XX and Gunvolt. CV and MM might've influenced each other back and forth, but I don't have solid evidence of that. And without Street Fighter, we wouldn't have Mortal Kombat, Fatal Fury, Killer Instinct or even Virtua Fighter and Tekken either. It practically started a genre.
And lets not forget that Megaman was a highly requested character and they put Ryu in everything.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Nah, I wasn’t “misconstruing” anything. And I already said that I’d love to see Lloyd in this game.

Its just that for some odd reason, you think that Heihachi appearing in a 10 year old game is a massive strike against him.

Sorry for calling out your statement for what it was.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I thought this was cute. Not a fan of the series but I noticed the last line that might get some people talking even though these sorts of "hints" never go anywhere.

She basically says she's recording lines for him but the last line says
Everyone Fights Today

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Honest question, if your argument had nothing to do with Heihachi's appearance in PSABR... Why bother bringing it up?
Someone was trying to equate Joker with Heihachi, I simply brought an example of a way that Heihachi was slightly more associated with Sony than Joker was. It's not about him being impossible because of it, it's a spectrum.

And then 20 people on this thread proceeded to try to eat me alive because of one comment.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Inspired by the recent Sakurai column, here are my predictions:

- Crash Bandicoot (Been calling this for ages)

- Phoenix Wright (Same with this character, could be Dante but I can imagine Nintendo choosing Phoenix)

- Lloyd Irving (Namco getting more than one character seems likely, Lloyd has been popular since Brawl and is popular in Japan)

- Paper Mario (Nintendo shill pick, wanted to predict something other than generic Gen 8 Pokemon. Lines up with rumours of new Paper Mario game)

- Rayman (The Ubisoft costumes coming and going without a Rayman costume is a huge sign to me, combined with Rayman only having 1 spirit despite the Globox and Barbra trophies from Smash 4)

- Master Chief (Assuming this is the last Smash character for Ultimate, I think they will use their Microsoft connections to break the internet)

I also predict that Geno will return as an upgraded costume (like Sans/Cuphead) with Beware of the Forest Mushrooms. Shantae and Doomguy will also get costumes. Yooka Laylee will get a spirit event only.

Thoughts? :yoshi:
Honestly Paper Mario is a pretty popular option, but hey I’d take it as a shill lol

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
They don't matter either.

But if I had to rank who I think will make it, a tales character is lower on the list.

Kosmos / Heihachi / Dark souls / Namco Retro rep / Tales.
From a western sensibility.
Ok I don't usually critique character expectation lists but how on earth is KOS-MOS more likely than Heihachi or Lloyd?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Nah, I wasn’t “misconstruing” anything. And I already said that I’d love to see Lloyd in this game.

Its just that for some odd reason, you think that Heihachi appearing in a 10 year old game is a massive strike against him.

Sorry for calling out your statement for what it was.
Show me an instance of me using sales as an argument today. Because that was mostly someone else who did that.

I’ll wait.
Cool for you. Funny how you never bothered to attack the guy who said that Lloyd's fanbase was deluded and that sales were a massive strike against him despite you claiming to be a supporter of his.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think sales matter to an extent, but that's mostly with first-parties. Part of the reason Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon have always dominated the roster is because the games sell really well, which translates to more people being familiar with them.

Wouldn't surprise me if Splatoon and Animal Crossing continue to get characters even after all the obvious candidates are exhausted.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Heihachi could be in. He could not.

Lloyd could be in. He could not.

There is nothing objective that definitively states who can, should, would, could, or even if either of the two make it in. Emphasis on the word "if", as we have no idea whatsoever about anyone for Fighter Pass 2 right now.

On a side note: Lloyd's cool and all, but gimme Yuri, please.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Cool for you. Funny how you never bothered to attack the guy who said that Lloyd's fanbase was deluded and that sales were a massive strike against him despite you claiming to be a supporter of his.
Again, he never used a 10 year old cameo as a reason for why a character is unlikely like you did.

Still waiting for a proper response to my question about Joker btw. Not just “HE DIDNT APPEAR IN PASBR EVEN THOUGH HIS GAME DIDNT EVEN EXIST YET!!!!!!”

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Sales aren't the deciding factor, but man is that the worst way to argue for it.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Again, he never used a 10 year old cameo as a reason for why a character is unlikely like you did.

Still waiting for a proper response to my question about Joker btw. Not just “HE DIDNT APPEAR IN PASBR EVEN THOUGH HIS GAME DIDNT EVEN EXIST YET!!!!!!”
What is your question about joker again?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Your argument about sales was also pretty nonsensical too.
Two replies to the same post.
Must be farming them there internet points.
EggsyWink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom