• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Spirit event wouldn’t have happened in November if we were getting a Pokemon.

And why would on earth would Agumon be chosen over Lloyd and Heihachi? (Especially since the latter two got Mii Costumes?)
That doesn't disprove anything, we will most likely see a Sw2Sh2 or some form of sequel to SwSh, and a Gen 8 Pokemon would be used as ad for that ngl
Again, the SwSh spirits coming out with a SwSh makes the most sense but then again we got the Plant as a fighter, and Nintendo is known for pulling stuff from the left field... I wouldn't put it off the table

ErenJager

Smash Champion
*Sigh*

I’m going to say this as someone who REALLY wanted Doom Slayer in.

The door slammed shut for his chances after that interview. It was WAY too elaborate for it to have been a NDA.

If you are actually believing Cacomallow over word straight from the devs mouth, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment.
I've seen a NDA's, i've signed NDA's.
Albeit not for video game corporations.
I've seen it where your instructed to deny, and they give a script of what to say in the lie.
I've seen low-key scripts that seem authentic.

I know for a fact when you say "WAY too elaborate for it have been a NDA."
That you've never actually dealt with one.

That being said I don't believe that's the case for the DOOM interview.
Other things could be at play, such as ignorance, or what have you.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll say two things about the CacoMallow leak.

1. The longer we go without an answer, the more likely it's fake.
2. Seems rather convenient that two Mii Costumes, things that are usually made last, are the only things shown off. No new characters, no new stage.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
That doesn't disprove anything, we will most likely see a Sw2Sh2 or some form of sequel to SwSh, and a Gen 8 Pokemon would be used as ad for that ngl
Again, the SwSh spirits coming out with a SwSh makes the most sense but then again we got the Plant as a fighter, and Nintendo is known for pulling stuff from the left field... I wouldn't put it off the table
Not happening, we are already getting DLC for Gen 8 later this year. Would make absolutely no sense to suddenly already release an entire sequel.

Also, false equivalency on the last part.

Weird out of left field character getting in =/= DLC Spirit board deconfirmation.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
>Spirit event wouldn’t have happened in November if we were getting a Pokemon.
Fan made rule, although it exists for Byleth, may only pertain to the first fighters pass, we don't know.

>And why would on earth would Agumon be chosen over Lloyd and Heihachi? (Especially since the latter two got Mii Costumes?)
Maybe because Tamagotchi (V-Pets) was a significant contribution to gaming, with Digimon being the male marketed off shoot.
It's creator won a noble prize in economics for it.
Also Tamagotchi has often accompanied Pac Man in other crossovers... such as the Mario Kart Arcade game....
Also Nintendo/ Sakurai could be conscious of the hype most normies would have for the first ever Pokemon vs. Digimon in a video game.
Lloyd & Heihachi will probably return as mii costumes, just as every other missing mii costume has thus far.
But like I stated in my post, Lloyd and Heihachi are also possibilities for inclusion, but i'm sure in at least one time line, Agumon beats them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not happening, we are already getting DLC for Gen 8 later this year. Would make absolutely no sense to suddenly already release an entire sequel.

Also, false equivalency on the last part.

Weird out of left field character getting in =/= DLC Spirit board deconfirmation.
Never said suddenly, more like 2021, so... I mean this pass does end in 2021, I doubt we'll be in Gen 9 by then

As ErenJager has said, it's a fan made rule, as most disqualifiers are. The only true rule is that it has to be a VG character so, sure it is logical to release a Pokemon character with Pokemon Spirits but it doesn't deny the possibility of a Pokemon fighter happening after those spirits, with other spirits

Not saying it does but I'm using it as an example of Nintendo being left field, they are, sometimes what they do, we can't imagine or comprehend

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't know why people are in such a rush to deconfirm Spirits and games with Spirit Boards. At least wait for the first two characters before deciding that it's impossible.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Fan made rule, although it exists for Byleth, may only pertain to the first fighters pass, we don't know.

>And why would on earth would Agumon be chosen over Lloyd and Heihachi? (Especially since the latter two got Mii Costumes?)
Maybe because Tamagotchi (V-Pets) was a significant contribution to gaming, with Digimon being the male marketed off shoot.
It's creator won a noble Nobel prize in economics for it.
Also Tamagotchi has often accompanied Pac Man in other crossovers... such as the Mario Kart Arcade game....
Also Nintendo/ Sakurai could be conscious of the hype most normies would have for the first ever Pokemon vs. Digimon in a video game.
Lloyd & Heihachi will probably return as mii costumes, just as every other missing mii costume has thus far.
But like I stated in my post, Lloyd and Heihachi are also possibilities for inclusion, but i'm sure in at least one time line, Agumon beats them.
You know who else often accompanies Pac Man in other crossovers?
DON-MOTHER****IN-CHAN
DonChan.png

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Never said suddenly, more like 2021, so... I mean this pass does end in 2021, I doubt we'll be in Gen 9 by then

As ErenJager has said, it's a fan made rule, as most disqualifiers are. The only true rule is that it has to be a VG character so, sure it is logical to release a Pokemon character with Pokemon Spirits but it doesn't deny the possibility of a Pokemon fighter happening after those spirits, with other spirits

Not saying it does but I'm using it as an example of Nintendo being left field, they are, sometimes what they do, we can't imagine or comprehend
It could have been a simple marketing choice.
For example, the knew Byleth was going to get Smash advertising because he was included in the first pass.
They possibly know Pokemon wouldn't be getting any Smash advertising until much later (Pass 2) so they did a spirit event.
We don't really know obviously, but that's why we speculate.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

>”Fan made rule”

Stopped reading right there. All it shows me is that you don’t have a legitimate argument to the point I made. (Especially since Three Houses didn’t have a Spirit event)

>Digimon would have huge hype among normies.

Pretty sure you are overestimating its popularity a tad bit.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
>”Fan made rule”

Stopped reading right there. All it shows me is that you don’t have a legitimate argument to the point I made. (Especially since Three Houses didn’t have a Spirit event)

>Digimon would have huge hype among normies.

Pretty sure you are overestimating its popularity a tad bit.
To reiterate.

For example, they knew Byleth was going to get Smash advertising because he was included in the first pass.
They possibly know Pokemon wouldn't be getting any Smash advertising until much later (Pass 2) so they did a spirit event.

But also, a fan made rule is a legitimate point.
The rules we make aren't gospel, they can be indicators... sure... but very rarely does that happen.
Box Theory is the only one I can remember being right.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think "Pokémon x Digimon" would only be about as hype as "Ryu vs. Heihachi vs. Terry" or even "Hero vs. Cloud vs. Tales of."

It really depends on the demographic you're going for since each is a major, hype matchup in of itself that would surely generate a lot of hype within different fanbases. I do feel that the latter two would be much better at generating hype within wider markets given the larger popularity of Tales of and Tekken over Digimon today.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I never believed that the DOOM mii costume stuff was real. If it is, it is. If it isn't, it isn't. But I don't see the point in arguing over it now, since the interview more or less put Doom Slayer out of the running. Even more so getting all uppity with people who do believe it. I don't know, maybe it's because I don't stick around with the Geno groups is why I don't get annoyed as much by it. Let 'em believe what they want.

I only get annoyed when people act as if any character that isn't Geno isn't a good choice.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
For example, they knew Byleth was going to get Smash advertising because he was included in the first pass.
Bruh.

The Spirit event literally happened in the same month the pass was decided.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think "Pokémon x Digimon" would only be about as hype as "Ryu vs. Heihachi vs. Terry" or even "Hero vs. Cloud vs. Tales of."

It really depends on the demographic you're going for since each is a major, hype matchup in of itself.
Boomer audience and normie audience are pretty close allies.
Banjo was hype as heck for boomers and normies because of well growing up in the 90's.
Digimon is apart of that era... tamagotchi, the anime, etc.

Polan

Smash Lord

i don't think anyone is conscious of digimon these days. saying that it'll get in over heihachi or lloyd is wild though. plus there's dark souls and soul calibur too as contenders with maybe a surprise showing of xenosaga. digimon is way down there in terms of choices.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

It really depends on the demographic you're going for since each is a major, hype matchup in of itself that would surely generate a lot of hype within different fanbases. I do feel that the latter two would be much better at generating hype within wider markets given the larger popularity of Tales of and Tekken over Digimon today.
True. As a Tekken fan in general, whether Ryu or Terry were in the game or not, I'd be pretty hype if Heihachi, Jin or Kazuya were in Smash. And having them fight against other fighting game protags would sweeten the deal.

However, while I'm not a huge Digimon guy, I think Digimon vs Pokemon has something going for it in a way that the fighting game crossovers don't. It simply hasn't happened on this scale yet. We've seen Street Fighter X Tekken, Akuma and Geese in Tekken 7, Capcom vs SNK 1 and 2, and so on. While each are sick in their own right, these worlds have clashed before. And I'm hoping they do it again. But Pokemon and Digimon crossing over hasn't happened yet as far as I know, and I think it's something special people would appreciate.

Not that it increases it's likeliness, just that it's "hype factor" I feel, is particularly unique.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
The argument of Spirits deconfirming characters is so dated at this point. Spirits are the spiritual successor to trophies, and if trophies of characters showed us anything it’s that they don’t matter. Lucas. Mewtwo. Enough said.

This whole argument about Pokémon possibly not getting a Sword and Shield Rep in Smash just seems silly to me. Could it happen? Yes. Could it not happen? Yes. But I doubt Spirits have anything to do with it. It’s Pokémon for Christ’s sake.

I think it’s happening, and I think it’d be a good marketing decision on Nintendo’s part. They know this, and they chose the Characters. So there’s that.

I also feel like the same people saying that Spirits deconfirm characters are the same people clamoring for Waluigi and Isaac and the like.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Bruh.

Yeh, so they knew Pokemon wasn't in the first pass.

The past two generations of Pokemon both got playable characters.
I don't think it's accurate to rule out a Gen 8 Pokemon given the continued support Gen 8 will be getting with expansions.
Smash will continue to get DLC this year, Pokemon will continue to get expansions this year.
Speculation suggests more Pokemon expansions are to come, to continue to complete the national dex of missing mons.
Which would mean more expansions and DLC into 2021, just like Smash with it's fighters pass.
If Gen 8 continues to be relevant and Nintendo wants a Pokemon to advertise and push pokemon... it'll add a Pokemon much like they added another FE character. They do what they want.

But I guess you're right, that spirit event completely handcuffs Nintendo, they're totally screwed now if they wanted to add a gen 8 pokemon, this will stop them entirely. :smash::laugh:

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Watch there actually end up being a spirit promotion, but the spirit that gets promoted is a character that nobody actually wanted or cared about.

EVERYBODY LOSES! :pikachu:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Bruh.

Hard to say how long in advance the Spirits were made. We have SwSh Spirits releasing the same month as the game, and then Astral Chain, which...well, better late than never.

Either way, I doubt the Spirits were made the same month.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Boomer audience and normie audience are pretty close allies.
Banjo was hype as heck for boomers and normies because of well growing up in the 90's.
Digimon is apart of that era... tamagotchi, the anime, etc.
Except the Smash fanbase is more than just boomers, and "normies" (I'd just call them casual fans due to the derogatory weight the label "normies" carries but whatever) wouldn't even know what Digimon is nowadays since the two groups aren't the same.

Banjo also had a large amount of fan demand and a company more than willing to work with Nintendo backing him. Agumon doesn't necessarily have either of those.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hard to say how long in advance the Spirits were made. We have SwSh Spirits releasing the same month as the game, and then Astral Chain, which...well, better late than never.

All you really need to know is that ~ They knew a Pokemon wasn't in the first pass. They knew FE was.
Advertise accordingly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I don't think the point people make with regards to the Pokemon Spirits is that their date of conception matters all that much, but that their release is everything. If you were going to make a Pokemon DLC fighter for base Sword/Shield, you would probably just hold back all of the Spirits and use those Spirits in the Spirit Board of the theoretical Pokemon. Not to mention, November is only when the DLC was finalized, not necessarily when the DLC was being conceived of and decided upon. There's quite a bit of evidence that shows much of the original Fighter's Pass dated back well before that finalization in November 2018 as well. Factually speaking, they announced more DLC in September 2019, so at the very least, we know that Volume 2's conception dates to around that time period as they considered characters (which would actually have been July 2019 if we presume that the presentation was as Sakurai said 2 days after Hero's recording and they didn't add anything to it). More DLC was in development well before those Sword/Shield Spirits dropped in November.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Watch there actually end up being a spirit promotion, but the spirit that gets promoted is a character that nobody actually wanted or cared about.

EVERYBODY LOSES! :pikachu:
Honestly, I wish people would extend their "spirit upgrade" conversations to more than just the standard ones of Geno/Shantae/Rayman. There are a TON of Spirits that would be cool as upgrades that no one talks about. Here, I'll start with one

1581228430884.png

My boy Sagi over here from Baten Kaitos Origins. Everyone's so enamored with Xenoblade these days that people have forgotten the series that started Monolith's relationship with Nintendo in the first place. He'd be a great fighter. A fighting system that involves card rng would be nuts.

Edit: Ah, I guess this was kind of already happening with the random spirit post from earlier. Well then...

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
But I guess you're right, that spirit event completely handcuffs Nintendo, they're totally screwed now if they wanted to add a gen 8 pokemon, this will stop them entirely. :smash::laugh:
Thats your monkey then. I’m done trying to debate you people about this subject matter when all of my points (timing of event, FE missing board) are met with screams of “THAT IS JUST MUH FAN RULE CINDERACE AND ALSO GENO ARE TOTALLY GETTING IN U GUYZ!!!!!!”

When your counterarguments are nothing but on this basis, it shows me that you have absolutely nothing to counter the anti promotion camp with. Its honestly laughable on how predictable the responses are each time I try to discuss this subject matter.

People like you truly are a dime a dozen in this community.

“SPIRITS ARE TOTALLY GOING TO BE PROMOTED FOR PASS 1 EVERYONE!!”

>Nothing happens

“ACTUALLY, ONLY DLC SPIRITS DECONFIRM!!!”

>Pokemon gets a Spirit event after Vol 2 was decided

>”NM GEN 8 GETS A FREE PASS EVERYONE!!!!”

Hasn’t your side been adamant about Spirits being just simple “PNGS” as points about them not deconfirming? Going by that logic, they should’ve been implemented very easily.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Just gonna say that anyone who uses the term "normie" unironically pretty much makes me take anything they gotta say waaaaay less seriously.

Like, come on, don't be that person. Just 'cause someone isn't into a niche product doesn't make them a "normie", and liking a niche product or going against popular opinion doesn't make you special. It just makes you look needlessly passive aggressive and elitist.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
hell yeah salamemce baby let's gooooooooooooooooooooo
Are you kidding me?! You get to have Salamence and all I get is Phyllis & Pelly?

That is some motherducking favouritism right there! I'm suing the hell out of that randomiser!

Hay geis. Nontendo Duhrect cunformed. Dis leik es vury luget.

View attachment 261651
Wait a minute

In TimeSplitters Future Perfect, Cortez travels to the year 1969... on the FOURTH DAY... of september...

Darn... So close...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Except the Smash fanbase is more than just boomers, and "normies" (I'd just call them casual fans due to the derogatory weight the label "normies" carries but whatever) wouldn't even know what Digimon is nowadays since the two groups aren't the same.

Banjo also had a large amount of fan demand and a company more than willing to work with Nintendo backing him. Agumon doesn't necessarily have either of those.
Agumon has novelty.
It may be enough.
Also still relevant, near yearly title releases.
Still has anime and stuff going on.
Also the possibility of unique mechanics (V-Pet Care management).
Or the first stat management character, as you fight you earn points and certain buttons indicate what stats you feed yourself.
Which is something Sakurai likes to have in his character, dimensions and mechanics not yet present in Smash.

Agreed, unlikely.
But I wouldn't sleep on his inclusion either.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I love that in the Smash community there are only three ways to disconfirm a picture/video:

1. Someone exactly replicates the leak itself without any variation whatsoever.
2. The person responsible for the leak reveals themselves as such.
3. The window for speculation on it literally closes because the game/DLC is over.

Anything short of those for the Smash community just allows leaks to fester in perpetuity despite any other additional evidence or circumstances. It's just a ridiculous amount of scrutiny for such things, and so many people seem to operate from the starting point of "It's real until proven fake" instead of the "it's fake until proven real" that requires us to actually hold the leaker under scrutiny and places the ball firmly in their court to validate their own claims.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think the point people make with regards to the Pokemon Spirits is that their date of conception matters all that much, but that their release is everything. If you were going to make a Pokemon DLC fighter for base Sword/Shield, you would probably just hold back all of the Spirits and use those Spirits in the Spirit Board of the theoretical Pokemon. Not to mention, November is only when the DLC was finalized, not necessarily when the DLC was being conceived of and decided upon. There's quite a bit of evidence that shows much of the original Fighter's Pass dated back well before that finalization in November 2018 as well. Factually speaking, they announced more DLC in September 2019, so at the very least, we know that Volume 2's conception dates to around that time period as they considered characters (which would actually have been July 2019 if we presume that the presentation was as Sakurai said 2 days after Hero's recording and they didn't add anything to it). More DLC was in development well before those Sword/Shield Spirits dropped in November.
It could be that they knew how long it would be before the Pokemon would be added.

No one said the new Pokemon would be the first character in this pass. We're looking at getting DLC up until December 2021 at the latest, two years after SwSh. Since Spirits aren't very time-consuming, they may have been willing to make a few just to commemorate the release of the games because they knew there was a chance the character wouldn't be ready for nearly a year, or possibly two years.

But that's all I'm saying tonight. I'm done debating the same topic over and over again. Maybe in a week or two I'll be reinvigorated, but I've lost the willpower to discuss Spirits.

Thats your monkey then. I’m done trying to debate you people about this subject matter when all of my points (timing of event, FE missing board) are met with screams of “THAT IS JUST MUH FAN RULE CINDERACE AND ALSO GENO ARE TOTALLY GETTING IN U GUYZ!!!!!!”

When your counterarguments are nothing but on this basis, it shows me that you have absolutely nothing to counter the anti promotion camp with. Its honestly laughable on how predictable the responses are each time I try to discuss this subject matter.

People like you truly are a dime a dozen in this community.

“SPIRITS ARE TOTALLY GOING TO BE PROMOTED FOR PASS 1 EVERYONE!!”

>Nothing happens

“ACTUALLY, ONLY DLC SPIRITS DECONFIRM!!!”

>Pokemon gets a Spirit event after Vol 2 was decided

>”NM GEN 8 GETS A FREE PASS EVERYONE!!!!”

Hasn’t your side been adamant about Spirits being just simple “PNGS” as points about them not deconfirming? Going by that logic, they should’ve been implemented very easily.
Dude, you get way too worked up over this topic.

So a few people disagree with you and think we're getting a Pokemon. Big whoop. Just let them believe what they want.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Just gonna point out that CacoMallow only conveniently shows Mii costumes on an already released stage. Not to mention, also outright memes with Ken.

No characters, music, stage, nothing of substance. Just Mii costumes. Again, how convenient.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I do agree with (I want to say MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees was the one who mentioned it) that making a Digimon and having their transformations as a well implemented mechanic would probably be a huge hassle to implement properly. And due to that difficulty, that'd be in and of itself something to consider.

And, like others have said, Banjo and Kazooie got a ton of support to be added to the game, while Agumon never really had that going for him, even now he's kind of niche. Or at least appears niche since there's no significant internet following for him in Smash compared to someone like Sora or even Dante.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys but right now I'm more excited for a certain fan game's arriving update than smash ultimate.

Super_Smash_Flash_2_logo.png

EDIT: I can't believe it's finally coming after such a long wait.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I do agree with (I want to say MasterOfKnees MasterOfKnees was the one who mentioned it) that making a Digimon and having their transformations as a well implemented mechanic would probably be a huge hassle to implement properly. And due to that difficulty, that'd be in and of itself something to consider.

And, like others have said, Banjo and Kazooie got a ton of support to be added to the game, while Agumon never really had that going for him, even now he's kind of niche. Or at least appears niche since there's no significant internet following for him in Smash compared to someone like Sora or even Dante.
Digivolving is more of an anime thing as opposed to the games.
Even the tamagotchis you maintained your highest level until you died.
Same with digimon world 1 for play station.
The newer games you basically just level different digimon to their strongest forms...

I don't think transforming would be digimons mechanic....
It would more then likely be stat mechanics or pet care mechanics.

Agumon's contention for a roster spot stems from Namco only having one character despite making Smash Ultimate.
Other big characters from Namco are also in contention but could also just as easily be written off.
Also Digimon has a fairly big game in development, striving to add every Digimon ever... later this year.
If Namco wanted or needed a shillmon for their second character... I think a Digimon could stand a chance.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I love that in the Smash community there are only three ways to disconfirm a picture/video:

1. Someone exactly replicates the leak itself without any variation whatsoever.
2. The person responsible for the leak reveals themselves as such.
3. The window for speculation on it literally closes because the game/DLC is over.

Anything short of those for the Smash community just allows leaks to fester in perpetuity despite any other additional evidence or circumstances. It's just a ridiculous amount of scrutiny for such things, and so many people seem to operate from the starting point of "It's real until proven fake" instead of the "it's fake until proven real" that requires us to actually hold the leaker under scrutiny and places the ball firmly in their court to validate their own claims.
Not only is the "real until proven fake" discouragingly prevalent, but it also extends to people applying the same mentality to... just... characters they want, with an "in until proven out" spin on it. And frankly, that line of thinking is to what I'd attribute the majority of the schisms within the fanbase.

It seems some people are unable to divorce hope from expectation.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
It could be that they knew how long it would be before the Pokemon would be added.

No one said the new Pokemon would be the first character in this pass. We're looking at getting DLC up until December 2021 at the latest, two years after SwSh. Since Spirits aren't very time-consuming, they may have been willing to make a few just to commemorate the release of the games because they knew there was a chance the character wouldn't be ready for nearly a year, or possibly two years.

But that's all I'm saying tonight. I'm done debating the same topic over and over again. Maybe in a week or two I'll be reinvigorated, but I've lost the willpower to discuss Spirits.

Dude, you get way too worked up over this topic.

So a few people disagree with you and think we're getting a Pokemon. Big whoop. Just let them believe what they want.
Its not really that at all.

Its more like the constant fanrule excuse that I see over and over again that make it literally impossible to present my points to other people in this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom