• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I meant Rayman more so, I just included the Rabbids as they are technically an extension of Rayman.

Atlus is actually pretty close with Nintendo though...

Excluding Persona due to it being a big Sony deal, the series that one is a spinoff of, the Shin Megami Tensei series, has been on Nintendo platforms for years now and just like the Rabbids it made its way up to Nintendo crossover status with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Atlus is also owned by Sega, who is definitely a big Nintendo partner, so I don’t get why Atlus is really questioned for getting a rep.

Also the other characters would still fit the mold as Dragon Quest has been a huge Nintendo series, and the two Microsoft reps have made major history on Nintendo.

I don’t see why it’s unreasonable to believe that Nintendo’s new partners may get some time to shine.
I very much doubt Atlus's relationship is the stepping stone for what caused Joker to get in. Shin Megami Tensei exists only as a footnote in any material that talks about Atlus RPGs.

StormC

Smash Hero
I meant Rayman more so, I just included the Rabbids as they are technically an extension of Rayman.

Atlus is actually pretty close with Nintendo though...

Excluding Persona due to it being a big Sony deal, the series that one is a spinoff of, the Shin Megami Tensei series, has been on Nintendo platforms for years now and just like the Rabbids it made its way up to Nintendo crossover status with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Atlus is also owned by Sega, who is definitely a big Nintendo partner, so I don’t get why Atlus is really questioned for getting a rep.

Also the other characters would still fit the mold as Dragon Quest has been a huge Nintendo series, and the two Microsoft reps have made major history on Nintendo.

I don’t see why it’s unreasonable to believe that Nintendo’s new partners may get some time to shine.
You mentioned the Switch specifically which is what I replied to. I don’t think Atlus even has any games on it, certainly nothing compared to Bethesda et. al. Why would Atlus get a character if Nintendo is “rewarding” companies with good support on the Switch? (As for Sega, Atlus still publishes their own games and they received a credit for Joker in Smash, not Sega.)

Erdrick would get in because DQ is an iconic series and one of the most successful Japanese IPs not yet in Smash (the other being Resident Evil). Sakurai isn’t a marketing computer programmed in to maximize business. While Nintendo might have more involvement than usual, both Reggie and Atlus have commented that Sakurai is still part of the decision making process. (Sakurai probably made that Tweet so Smash fans would stop harassing him, truthfully).

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The Final Fantasy series does need more representatives, so why not add Vincent Valentine? They added Cloud as the first Final Fantasy rep in Smash 4, so they might surprise us again like they did with Joker.
Because Vincent Valentine is another character from the same game and not even as popular as characters like Sephiroth and Tifa, probably.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Aerith's only chance was really as the Assist Trophy. I could see her using Great Gospel to make you invincible or Fury Brand to make your attacks stronger... but I don't think she's fighter material at all. Not for lack of moveset or importance, but Cloud covers pretty much everything FF7 needs character-wise.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
1559969883276.png

My E3 Bingo card! I got a pretty good mix of pretty obvious choices and some out there picks. I think I have the best bet with the fourth row!

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
You laugh. You scoff. But you will remember my words.

The next DLC fighter is none other than Johnny Napalm from the Guitar Hero series.

You cannot run from the inevitable.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Also Pokémon Swish is my favorite Pokémon game.
To clarify this, and I hope this is catching on, but Pokemon S is Pokemon Silver, right? So, Pokemon Sword and Shield need to be something else, such as Pokemon SWSH. Hence, Pokemon Swish.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
You mentioned the Switch specifically which is what I replied to. I don’t think Atlus even has any games on it
Not yet, but one of the Switches earliest announcements was Shin Megami V. Plus Atlus isn’t too far off from being a modern Nintendo partner. They still develop 3DS games and the FE crossover came out a year before the Switch.

Sorry for making it a Switch only debate, I just mentioned the Switch specifically as Ubisoft and Bethesda were the two main driving forces of the console, which even then is a little insulting to Ubisoft as they developed many exclusives for Wii and early Wii U. While Atlus is yet to jump on, they did have an impact on giving the previous two consoles a proper burial. I’d say they are a big Nintendo partner at the moment, I just think conflicts between Sony, them releasing a game only a year before Switch giving them limited time to jump on, and them likely wanting to finish out a 3DS have caused them to be a little late to the party, but we do know they will be making content.

Erdrick would get in because DQ is an iconic series and one of the most successful Japanese IPs
I mean, that’s one way of looking at it. The story more so seems to be a compromise for base roster Cloud as Square wanted DLC, but I’m sure Sakurai picked out DQ from Square’s likely mandated second character.

Sakurai isn’t a marketing computer programmed in to maximize business. While Nintendo might have more involvement than usual, both Reggie and Atlus have commented that Sakurai is still part of the decision making process.
Your assuming that he wouldn’t want to work with Western IPs. You guys do know that Sakurai likes Bethesda right? He is an avid fan of Fall Out and even streamed the game. Even looking past that, he commented about the greatest/ most influential game devs and one was the creator of Doom.

He obviously saw Banjo as a good choice for Melee

He has gone on about how he is a huge fan of Minecraft and Dead Space in the past.

And clearly Sakurai must have something with Ubisoft as he just casually throws Rayman into the last two titles and talked about how Ubisoft sends him stuff during Smash like the 3D Rayman models.

I don’t see why Sakurai being a part of the decision process would hinder some of the new companies from joining outside of just Microsoft, he seems to like their franchises and be on good terms with them.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, that’s one way of looking at it. The story more so seems to be a compromise for base roster Cloud as Square wanted DLC, but I’m sure Sakurai picked out DQ from Square’s likely mandated second character.
Based on what, exactly?

Your assuming that he wouldn’t want to work with Western IPs. You guys do know that Sakurai likes Bethesda right? He is an avid fan of Fall Out and even streamed the game. Even looking past that, he commented about the greatest/ most influential game devs and one was the creator of Doom.

He obviously saw Banjo as a good choice for Melee

He has gone on about how he is a huge fan of Minecraft and Dead Space in the past.

And clearly Sakurai must have something with Ubisoft as he just casually throws Rayman into the last two titles and talked about how Ubisoft sends him stuff during Smash like the 3D Rayman models.

I don’t see why Sakurai being a part of the decision process would hinder some of the new companies from joining outside of just Microsoft, he seems to like their franchises and be on good terms with them.
Again, simply logistics. Sakurai can coordinate and meet with other Japanese developers way easier than westerners. Phil Spencer being so open to working on Smash probably helped bridge the gap for Banjo, along with the overwhelming fan demand acting as an incentive.

There's also this:

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/12/16/the-substantial-barrier-of-aaa-games-sakurai-col-514/

That said, the game developer side of me simply cannot rejoice at this news because Japanese games have all but disappeared from the list of Top 10 Highest-Selling Games Worldwide.

[...]

Japanese games are gradually losing their presence in the global market with every passing year, and there is data to support this conclusion.

[...]

It all depends on the next project I undertake, but I’ve already proven Japanese games can resonate with the rest of the world, and I’d like to continue doing so in whatever way I can.

Thankfully, Smash was a game that ended up supporting a lot of other games. It’s been proven that including a character as a fighter generates publicity for said character and their respective series. I’m very pleased that Smash can positively promote other titles.
Anything's possible of course. But I would put betting money on Microsoft being the only western company on the Fighter Pass. Call it a gut feeling.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm also predicting that Banjo-Kazooie might possibly be the only Western Third Party character in the pass as well. Do you guys think they will unveil one or two DLC characters at E3?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I made a thread about Japanese/Western gaming characters in the fighters pass:

https://smashboards.com/threads/do-...ming-characters-for-the-fighters-pass.484761/

There has been an abundance of interesting discussion surrounding the topic that I thought a thread would be needed to explore the topic in-depth. There is also a poll too, I want to find out how many people believe or not believe in Sakurai sticking to Japanese gaming characters.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I said it before but I think anyone expecting more than one DLC fighter at E3 will be disappointed.
Just because they are actively working on more than one fighter doesn’t mean they’ll reveal them simultaneously. It’s more likely one is further along in development and they’ll show that one off first.
I think Smash won’t really get much talk this year really, as Nintendo is going to hype up new games now.

On a side-note, I think Banjo in smash or a Banjo Kazooie port to switch are each possibilities; however, I anticipate one or the other will happen and not both.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I said it before but I think anyone expecting more than one DLC fighter at E3 will be disappointed.
Just because they are actively working on more than one fighter doesn’t mean they’ll reveal them simultaneously. It’s more likely one is further along in development and they’ll show that one off first.
I think Smash won’t really get much talk this year really, as Nintendo is going to hype up new games now.

On a side-note, I think Banjo in smash or a Banjo Kazooie port to switch are each possibilities; however, I anticipate one or the other will happen and not both.
TerminalMontage Fox: OH.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Based on what, exactly?
It’s been a rumor floating around SmashBoards for awhile. The idea is that Square was really unhappy and not very cooperative with the team putting Cloud and FF content in the base roster as Square wanted to maximize profits with DLC. This is likely why Final Fantasy got shafted hard in the content department to the point where the team can’t even use the basic artwork. Given Square’s track record of being big on DLC it really isn’t surprising to imagine the scenario being that Square kinda strong armed Sakurai into DLC for Cloud’s return, it just seems that Erdrick was made to be a compromise to please them and allow FF to remain as base content.

Again, simply logistics. Sakurai can coordinate and meet with other Japanese developers way easier than westerners. Phil Spencer being so open to working on Smash probably helped bridge the gap for Banjo, along with the overwhelming fan demand acting as an incentive.
I don’t really see this being much of an issue especially since he’d go out of his way for Microsoft. Also before you say Phil Spencer wants to meet, Ubisoft and Bethesda have both said and done things to indicate the same thing with Ubisoft literally developing full 3D models just for the Smash Team’s usage and Bethesda actually approaching Nintendo about the matter. (If you didn’t know, Bethesda claimed in an interview that they have talked to Nintendo about Smash) If anything, Bethesda and Ubisoft actually seem easier to work and coordinate with then even Microsoft or Japanese companies like Square, with Ubisoft even seeming willing to make Sakurai the model.

Also, in Ubisoft’s favor is the constant collaborations they’ve been having with Nintendo. Even though they are located overseas, the fact that Ubisoft seems to have multiple collaborations with Nintendo from Just Dance having Mario to bigger projects like Mario + Rabbids and Starlink, it kinda shows that communication between Nintendo of Japan and Ubisoft is not as difficult as I think you’re lead to believe. We also have the internet too, so project plans can get sent via server if the company is willing to negotiate that way, which it seems like the two would have no problem with as they are very enthusiastic about Smash.

As for your source, I’m assuming your argument is that Smash is made to promote Japanese titles in a world that is moving away from them. Is this right?

I’m not sure if that’s your argument, but to counter point, I actually believe that Smash would benefit the Japanese gaming industry by introducing franchises from the west.

To start, Sakurai never directly said anything negative about the west or that he wouldn’t include anything. He even said that it is completely fine to create games for niche audiences, he just was surprised by how well Smash has done.

As for the issue, I think introducing the west would be a step in the right direction. Clearly Japanese titles don’t have as much pull as they used to, but an introduction of western titles could change that. I feel big western characters could honestly pull more people into the Smash series who didn’t care about Japanese games. This will in turn create a promotion for the franchise being included to gain more Japanese interest, but on the flip side the west will get into Smash and by extension the multiple Japanese franchises it includes. If Sakurai’s goal was to help promote Japanese titles, than maybe throwing in a western “hook” or two could bring out some interest and bring people to love more of the titles Smash includes. It would also help in the idea that Smash promotes gaming history, which is unachievable if you only include a geographical area of games to represent a global medium.

I guess I like to think of it like this...

How many people got into Final Fantasy due to Kingdom Hearts?
How many people got into Capcom due to the Marvel vs. Capcom titles?
How many people got into Soul Caliber because Darth Vader was on the cover?

In a way, I believe the West can actually raise the recognizability and fan base sizes of many Japanese classics, it’s just a matter of willingness to interact with the global market. Smash could potentially raise Japanese titles again, but it may take someone like a Doom Slayer or Steve to get the West to come in and find new favorites from the Japanese developers.

StormC

Smash Hero
It’s been a rumor floating around SmashBoards for awhile. The idea is that Square was really unhappy and not very cooperative with the team putting Cloud and FF content in the base roster as Square wanted to maximize profits with DLC. This is likely why Final Fantasy got shafted hard in the content department to the point where the team can’t even use the basic artwork. Given Square’s track record of being big on DLC it really isn’t surprising to imagine the scenario being that Square kinda strong armed Sakurai into DLC for Cloud’s return, it just seems that Erdrick was made to be a compromise to please them and allow FF to remain as base content.
Unless the rumor came from someone especially reliable I wouldn't put much stock in it. The one thing about rumors/leaks is we rarely get an inside look at the how and why these Smash characters get in. This sounds like a lot of conversations that a source would have to be privy to. I think the occam's razor is simply that Dragon Quest is a legendary series as far as Japan goes; DQ3 was so popular people were mugging each other on the streets to play it. After Resident Evil, it's the most successful Japanese gaming IP not yet in Smash. I feel Erdrick would be added mostly for Japanese fans.

As for your source, I’m assuming your argument is that Smash is made to promote Japanese titles in a world that is moving away from them. Is this right?

I’m not sure if that’s your argument, but to counter point, I actually believe that Smash would benefit the Japanese gaming industry by introducing franchises from the west.

To start, Sakurai never directly said anything negative about the west or that he wouldn’t include anything. He even said that it is completely fine to create games for niche audiences, he just was surprised by how well Smash has done.

As for the issue, I think introducing the west would be a step in the right direction. Clearly Japanese titles don’t have as much pull as they used to, but an introduction of western titles could change that. I feel big western characters could honestly pull more people into the Smash series who didn’t care about Japanese games. This will in turn create a promotion for the franchise being included to gain more Japanese interest, but on the flip side the west will get into Smash and by extension the multiple Japanese franchises it includes. If Sakurai’s goal was to help promote Japanese titles, than maybe throwing in a western “hook” or two could bring out some interest and bring people to love more of the titles Smash includes. It would also help in the idea that Smash promotes gaming history, which is unachievable if you only include a geographical area of games to represent a global medium.

I guess I like to think of it like this...

In a way, I believe the West can actually raise the recognizability and fan base sizes of many Japanese classics, it’s just a matter of willingness to interact with the global market. Smash could potentially raise Japanese titles again, but it may take someone like a Doom Slayer or Steve to get the West to come in and find new favorites from the Japanese developers.
I think Smash is whatever Sakurai wants it to be. Whether it's a Nintendo crossover, a celebration of Japanese gaming, or a look at all of gaming history. I think the idea that he would add a western character to promote other Japanese IP among westerners is a bit too galaxy brain for me, but hey, I'm just a lowly forum poster. Let's see what happens on the Pass. I'll buy you a beer when you turn 21 if we get another western character besides Banjo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I can't imagine that's a lot of people. Final Fantasy has sold way more than Kingdom Hearts. Marvel vs. Capcom started in the days where Street Fighter and Capcom were already huge. And Soul Calibur is in constant danger of cancellation.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, its actually the complete opposite for me. I got into Final Fantasy after watching a preview trailer of Final Fantasy X for the PS2 (which was my first game for the PS2.) It wasn't until I heard about Kingdom Hearts which had a crossover between Disney and Final Fantasy characters which got me into the KH series.

I got into the Capcom titles ever since I watched video gameplays of Marvel Vs Capcom: Clash of the Heroes and Namco X Capcom is what got me into the franchise.

I wouldn't exactly say that I got into the SoulCalibur series because of Darth Vader. It was when Link was introduced as a guest character for the GameCube version which is where I got into the SC series.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I can't imagine that's a lot of people. Final Fantasy has sold way more than Kingdom Hearts. Marvel vs. Capcom started in the days where Street Fighter and Capcom were already huge. And Soul Calibur is in constant danger of cancellation.
I feel like going off of sales when it comes to Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy isn't the best comparison, seeing as Final Fantasy has been around for about fifteen years longer than Kingdom Hearts and has much more in the way of main entries, spin-offs, etc.

As for Soul Calibur, there's objective proof that guest characters can make an impact - the Gamecube version sold the best out of the original Soul Calibur 2 release when literally the only difference was that Link was in it instead of Spawn or Heihachi, in spite of the major advantage that the PS2 had in terms of consoles sold.

I don't know if a Western character needs to be added purely for the sake of adding a Western character, but it would definitely give Smash some attention from people who normally might not consider it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
As for Soul Calibur, there's objective proof that guest characters can make an impact - the Gamecube version sold the best out of the original Soul Calibur 2 release when literally the only difference was that Link was in it instead of Spawn or Heihachi, in spite of the major advantage that the PS2 had in terms of consoles sold.
The PS2 version would've got Final Fantasy VII's Cloud Strife as their guest character if the deal did not fall through.

https://www.destructoid.com/cloud-s...est-character-for-soulcalibur-ii-466346.phtml

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is funny, I got into FF due to liking RPGs and their reputation especially with how legendary is the brand perceived, Capcom due to Megaman and Street Fighter being the **** on the 80s and 90s and I got into SC due to Link in SCII but I had owned and Played Sould Edge already.

I get your argument but how people get into fanbases depends on a lot of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I got into FF upon its release. I played DQ1 first.

I got into SF cause it's SF.

MegaMan because it's MegaMan.

Though maybe DQ1 somewhat helped me get into FF? I was quickly a fan of old-school turn-based. It's why I love Quest 64, Paper Mario(as a whole), and many other games.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I think the occam's razor is simply that Dragon Quest is a legendary series as far as Japan goes; DQ3 was so popular people were mugging each other on the streets to play it.
Ohhh yeah, trust me I know that DQ is popular. It truly earned its place if proven true, there was just rumors floating about Square and them continuing to be a bit unreasonable as always.

Actually, I defended Erdrick earlier on this thread, as the franchise is clearly huge with multiple Mario crossovers under its belt, so no hate for Erdrick coming from me.

I think Smash is whatever Sakurai wants it to be. Whether it's a Nintendo crossover, a celebration of Japanese gaming, or a look at all of gaming history. I think the idea that he would add a western character to promote other Japanese IP among westerners is a bit too galaxy brain for me, but hey, I'm just a lowly forum poster. Let's see what happens on the Pass. I'll buy you a beer when you turn 21 if we get another western character besides Banjo.
Sorry if my post is confusing. Basically it’s just use franchise to promote other franchise which is pretty common in the gaming industry. If the article claims that Japanese titles aren’t selling, then adding more Japanese characters won’t sway the western market into purchasing Smash, so maybe a big icon like Bethesda or Ubisoft (two of the biggest western developers) have could lead more into checking out Smash that wouldn’t have otherwise.

Also I don’t drink, so I guess I’ll take a Caprisun if Doom Slayer gets in.

I’ll admit the point was subjective, heck it could even work the other way around. Point is, I’m sure many learned about or played different franchises through collaborations.

I for one definitely learned about most Capcom franchises due to MvC3 as Marvel was just taking off with the MCU at the time and Capcom wasn’t exactly doing too hot, so Marvel kinda got me to like the various Capcom series. Same for Soul Caliber as I wanted to play as Vader so I picked it up. That game is actually really loved by my brother who doesn’t get to into any Japanese games as he only plays Fortnite and Rocket League. He actually loved it so much that he talked about rebuying a PS3 to replace our broken one just so he could replay it

I think many on this site are pretty big gaming veterans, but for more casual people like me, having more western characters collab aiding in getting me to purchase many titles when I was little as they were characters I recognized.

I guess if you want better examples, than I’m sure no one would have played a Rabbids tactics game had Mario not been involved. The same applies for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest to me as I wouldn’t have known about the series without the Mario crossovers through Sports Mix and Fortune Street.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess if you want better examples, than I’m sure no one would have played a Rabbids tactics game had Mario not been involved. The same applies for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest to me as I wouldn’t have known about the series without the Mario crossovers through Sports Mix and Fortune Street.
...I would've played the Rabbids game. I love those guys. Rayman doesn't do anything for me in comparison. I think the issue is you're going for examples that are too generalizing but not necessarily true.

Can't speak on the other stuff.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If it were me, adding a Resident Evil character would attract a lot of people into buying Smash Ultimate and the DLC.

The franchise is so big and has clear Western appeal, and has one of the biggest Western fanbases for a Japanese franchise I seen.

Banjo and Leon would be great choices for the Fighters Pass.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As much as I love Phoenix Wright I wouldn't at all be salty if Leon got in over him. I still think we are gonna see some crazy picks from demographics we might not expect - hence why even something like Style Savvy has an outside shot.

StormC

Smash Hero
If it were me, adding a Resident Evil character would attract a lot of people into buying Smash Ultimate and the DLC.

The franchise is so big and has clear Western appeal, and has one of the biggest Western fanbases for a Japanese franchise I seen.

Banjo and Leon would be great choices for the Fighters Pass.
Ever since Joker got revealed with a real gun I have been pretty confident that Resident Evil would be on the Pass. Dragon Quest and Resident Evil are far and away the biggest Japanese IPs not yet in Smash. SUPER SMASH BROS. X RESIDENT EVIL would be huge for the general gaming audience.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As much as I love Phoenix Wright I wouldn't at all be salty if Leon got in over him. I still think we are gonna see some crazy picks from demographics we might not expect - hence why even something like Style Savvy has an outside shot.
While I like Phoenix more both as a character and for his whacky moveset possibilities, RE does make me curious, especially concerning a stage. This despite me having no attachment to the series whatsoever. That, and it would pretty much be the best possible horror game to bring to Smash imo.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
...I would've played the Rabbids game. I love those guys. Rayman doesn't do anything for me in comparison. I think the issue is you're going for examples that are too generalizing but not necessarily true.

Can't speak on the other stuff.
Ooooffff.... Yeah, there’s always one.

Don’t know what to use as an example because why some may play crossovers is due to what is appealing to them. I went with Rabbids as that’s a pretty big franchise with more hate then love now adays, but if you played it for Rabbids than that’s your experience.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ooooffff.... Yeah, there’s always one.

Don’t know what to use as an example because why some may play crossovers is due to what is appealing to them. I went with Rabbids as that’s a pretty big franchise with more hate then love now adays, but if you played it for Rabbids than that’s your experience.
Rabbids are honestly extremely popular too. They're divisive regardless. Mostly cause they took the spotlight away from Rayman. But that happens.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ohhh yeah, trust me I know that DQ is popular. It truly earned its place if proven true, there was just rumors floating about Square and them continuing to be a bit unreasonable as always.

Actually, I defended Erdrick earlier on this thread, as the franchise is clearly huge with multiple Mario crossovers under its belt, so no hate for Erdrick coming from me.

Sorry if my post is confusing. Basically it’s just use franchise to promote other franchise which is pretty common in the gaming industry. If the article claims that Japanese titles aren’t selling, then adding more Japanese characters won’t sway the western market into purchasing Smash, so maybe a big icon like Bethesda or Ubisoft (two of the biggest western developers) have could lead more into checking out Smash that wouldn’t have otherwise.

Also I don’t drink, so I guess I’ll take a Caprisun if Doom Slayer gets in.

I’ll admit the point was subjective, heck it could even work the other way around. Point is, I’m sure many learned about or played different franchises through collaborations.

I for one definitely learned about most Capcom franchises due to MvC3 as Marvel was just taking off with the MCU at the time and Capcom wasn’t exactly doing too hot, so Marvel kinda got me to like the various Capcom series. Same for Soul Caliber as I wanted to play as Vader so I picked it up. That game is actually really loved by my brother who doesn’t get to into any Japanese games as he only plays Fortnite and Rocket League. He actually loved it so much that he talked about rebuying a PS3 to replace our broken one just so he could replay it

I think many on this site are pretty big gaming veterans, but for more casual people like me, having more western characters collab aiding in getting me to purchase many titles when I was little as they were characters I recognized.

I get what you were going for, and yeah, honestly anything can be a gateway series for the right person. Brawl got me into gaming, so I understand the logic of Smash being one for Japanese gaming. At the same time, the game has Mario and Pikachu in it, so I'm not sure what else it needs to draw in a bigger audience.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
At the same time, the game has Mario and Pikachu in it, so I'm not sure what else it needs to draw in a bigger audience.
Judging by the article it needs more Western appeal, which is really broad, but I think it comes down to a genre that is huge in the West but not at all represented in Smash, being the FPS. Games like Doom or (please don’t roast me) Fortnite have massive appeal in the west and could easily drive up attention. I choose Doom as its the best stand in for the hardcore shooter at the moment. It sort of fills the role of Call of Duty or Halo without much fan backlash.

Minecraft is another huge gaming feat of the West that pretty much had/ has a stronghold on YouTube. I think that title could obviously bring attention.

Finally, open worlds are another genre of the west without much in Smash. The obvious ones being GTA or, using Ubisoft, Assassin’s Creed.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Judging by the article it needs more Western appeal, which is really broad, but I think it comes down to a genre that is huge in the West but not at all represented in Smash, being the FPS. Games like Doom or (please don’t roast me) Fortnite have massive appeal in the west and could easily drive up attention. I choose Doom as its the best stand in for the hardcore shooter at the moment. It sort of fills the role of Call of Duty or Halo without much fan backlash.

Minecraft is another huge gaming feat of the West that pretty much had/ has a stronghold on YouTube. I think that title could obviously bring attention.

Finally, open worlds are another genre of the west without much in Smash. The obvious ones being GTA or, using Ubisoft, Assassin’s Creed.
This is a strange opinion, but hear me out.

I don't think Minecraft should be seen as purely "Western appeal", but rather "global appeal". Minecraft is big both here and in Japan. Punch-Out!, on the other hand, is much bigger here than in Japan. Which is why a part of the japanese fanbase saw Little Mac's inclusion as western pandering (weird that people got upset over this, since most of the roster caters either towards a japanese or global standard).

I agree with you on Halo and GTA, though. These games have way more appeal over here compared to the east. Basically the reverse of Dragon Quest or Touhou, perhaps?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom