• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Nah Lin's dumb. The Arcade Bunny is where it's at!

I think Sakurai commented on this request, saying something like "nah we don't do archetypes for the heck of it. We need good gameplay to go with it." which I mean...yes, but at the same time I still think we should have gotten a mage archetype for those who want to make a magical character. Besides, a magic user that doesn't have to have any ties to any sort of source material means infinite potential for something super cool.
I still think that it should be a little simple due to it being a mii so nothing like "hitting an enemy character with this 5 moves in succesion places a curse on them that makes them trip and suffer damage over time, and if you hit them with teh command grab when they are tripped you summon exodia" type of character for certain.

Thankfully for us, mages and wizards can be awfully generic in videogames, so something simple could be easily done. the way I see it is a resource management character with MP akin to hero, some specials and some attack like smashes and some aerials (maybe one grab) use MP to unleash additional effects, for example forward smash is just a dumb staff whack with little range, but if you have enough MP, a pillar of ice also comes from where the staff hits teh ground and stuff like that. That coupled with some somewhat decent but not great attacks that don't use MP as neutral air or the tilts, and you have a character with tons of good tools that are bounded by the MP management. The elemental magic could be an assortment of lighting, fire and ice (can't be more generic than that) like fair throwing a little bolt when you have enough MP . teh difference with mii gunner is that when mii mage options may be a little better, they can't spam them nor really zone with them, and have to rely more on setups and burst.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Bruh how come people angry that the majority of the fighters pass is JRPG but at the same time they want Geno? Bruh
Not all of them are the same people, but I guess some of them feel Geno "deserves" it for being more fan-requested than Joker and Hero.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Here’s a game. If the first character revealed was a new type of Mii Fighter (Axewielder, Mage, Archer, etc) then what Mii Outfits would we get for that new type of Mii Fighter? What Indie Mii outfits could we possibly get for that new Mii Fighter?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Speaking of Miis, I always thought it would be cool if you could customize their more foofy animations, namely their taunts and victory animations. It'd allow for their personalities to be less generic while also still executing the purpose of being an avatar. You could also let players pick one of the 44 (and counting) victory fanfares and/or designate a series for a specific Mii to belong to.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say, isn’t that “pass maintenance” today? Think we’ll be able to preorder the 2nd pass tomorrow?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Speaking of Miis, I always thought it would be cool if you could customize their more foofy animations, namely their taunts and victory animations. It'd allow for their personalities to be less generic while also still executing the purpose of being an avatar. You could also let players pick one of the 44 (and counting) victory fanfares and/or designate a series for a specific Mii to belong to.
just imagine if the "premium" mii outfits didn't come only with a track, but also a taunt :0 yeah.. there are lots that could be done with mii costumes.

Here’s a game. If the first character revealed was a new type of Mii Fighter (Axewielder, Mage, Archer, etc) then what Mii Outfits would we get for that new type of Mii Fighter? What Indie Mii outfits could we possibly get for that new Mii Fighter?
Mii mage as an user pointed above, would instantly get Viridi, Ashley, Lip and other wizards, plus a generic gandalf like costume, a generic witch like costume, the unused mii wizard gunner costume from Wiiu and obligatory Maid/Butler costumes.

As for DLC, i would outright give it 2 "premium with tracks" costumes in Final Fantasy Black Mage, and Final Fantasy White Mage with remixes of this themes.
Other costumes would be a Sypha Belnades costume (Castlevania), Lysithea costume (Fire Emblem 3H) and a Magikoopa costume. (Mario)

As for indies.. i would totally add Amadeus from trine, posible with a track also. Bonus point if Zoya is a gunner and Pontius is a swordfighter

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
If Sims ever gets in, I want a Danger Medley remix.

Sims. Giving children anxiety for almost 20 years.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Say, isn’t that “pass maintenance” today? Think we’ll be able to preorder the 2nd pass tomorrow?
Don't think so, everywhere we've seen talk about it so far seems to state it'll be out once Byleth is.

Bruh how come people angry that the majority of the fighters pass is JRPG but at the same time they want Geno? Bruh
I mean, for what it's worth, Geno is very different from a traditional JRPG protagonist from an "asthetic" standpoint. Not to mention that Mario RPGs are loved by people who don't even like traditional JRPGs.

Though it's still absolutely Hypocricy, no denying that.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y’all hit the nail on the head; just because spirits and ATs have never been upgraded, that doesn’t mean they never will, and just because they could, that doesn’t mean they will. There’s really nothing to speculate on for this aside from what characters they may choose if any.

Regarding the Mii costume discussion, I can’t wrap my head around how Steve is somehow a “top contender” or how he’d supposedly work well as a full-body costume. I guess if he was a cardboard costume with different segments around the limbs, but otherwise the bendy limbs would do him no justice and he would honestly work better as a full character, and I could say that even if I didn’t like Steve. While I would settle for a Mii costume over nothing, the bendy limbs and maybe even a cardboard costume would look off while I can easily imagine Steve himself looking perfectly fine, so ignoring my bias, I would personally go for the real deal (which he would be able to have different expressions and show personality if official trailers for Dungeons and the bees are anything to go by) or a bunch of spirits...though I would take the Mii costume over just spirits if it would end up looking alright, I guess, though I’d always go for the real deal, bias or no bias. He’s just as likely as Chief, too, and Chief could work better than Steve as a costume if you ask me (though I would personally go for the real deal regarding him, too, even if I don’t care).

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
https://tales-antenna.com/news/25th-logo/

Looks like that Tales trademark meant nothing for Smash after all. Things are looking even better for Heihachi now.
Huh, so that's what they were for. Still, I wouldn't be so quick to count Lloyd out so soon.

How come people are angry that the majority of the fighters pass is JRPG but at the same time they want Sora?

D

Deleted member

Y’all hit the nail on the head; just because spirits and ATs have never been upgraded, that doesn’t mean they never will, and just because they could, that doesn’t mean they will. There’s really nothing to speculate on for this aside from what characters they may choose if any.

Regarding the Mii costume discussion, I can’t wrap my head around how Steve is somehow a “top contender” or how he’d supposedly work well as a full-body costume. I guess if he was a cardboard costume with different segments around the limbs, but otherwise the bendy limbs would do him no justice .
here’s a solution to that then

just give him a head piece/or a crepper head

someone made a great example of it(minus the eyes)
If only images were working

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Regarding the Mii costume discussion, I can’t wrap my head around how Steve is somehow a “top contender” or how he’d supposedly work well as a full-body costume. I guess if he was a cardboard costume with different segments around the limbs, but otherwise the bendy limbs would do him no justice and he would honestly work better as a full character, and I could say that even if I didn’t like Steve. While I would settle for a Mii costume over nothing, the bendy limbs and maybe even a cardboard costume would look off while I can easily imagine Steve himself looking perfectly fine, so ignoring my bias, I would personally go for the real deal (which he would be able to have different expressions and show personality if official trailers for Dungeons and the bees are anything to go by) or a bunch of spirits...though I would take the Mii costume over just spirits if it would end up looking alright, I guess, though I’d always go for the real deal, bias or no bias. He’s just as likely as Chief, too, and Chief could work better than Steve as a costume if you ask me (though I would personally go for the real deal regarding him, too, even if I don’t care).
Wait, so Steve can't be a Mii Fighter because bendy limbs don't suit him... Doesn't that mean he's even less of a fit to be a full-blown fighter? Or are you suggesting he'd get in as a fighter using the original stiff Minecraft animations?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
here’s a solution to that then

just give him a head piece

someone made a great example of it(minus the eyes)
If only images were working
That would also work, so ignoring my bias, alright then (the missing eyes would be kinda weird though). But it’d still be incredibly disappointing (personally) and Chief is just as likely as I said later in my post.

Wait, so Steve can't be a Mii Fighter because bendy limbs don't suit him... Doesn't that mean he's even less of a fit to be a full-blown fighter? Or are you suggesting he'd get in as a fighter using the original stiff Minecraft animations?
I think he looks perfect without bendy limbs, so while I understand if you don’t, I don’t get what you’re trying to say otherwise. His limbs look fine bending in the way they do in the Dungeons trailer, bending at right-angles, but in the way the Mii would do it, it’d look off. I could share those fanmade Smash animations again if you want. He isn’t limited to the original animations, those already prove he can move his limbs in all directions and maybe move them up/down with his four joints a bit anyway.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I do believe we will get at least one 1st party character in the pass whether from Zelda, Pokémon, Xenoblade, or Splatoon. Impa is my pick for a new Zelda rep though.
Ok, what do you guys think about Assist trophy promotions? What are the chances that we'll get at least one? I don't expect them to make the 2nd pass all promotions but it would be nice to promote 1 or 2 Assists into actual fighters.
Characters like Waluigi, Shadow, Skull Kid are all Assist Trophy characters that are not going to graduate into playable characters in Ultimate. There is no good reason for the developers to do all that extra work when they could make something entirely new that doesn't require adjusting the base game.
I'm conviced, for this second pass, we will have a mix of first and third party. However, on the first party part, looking at how DLC were done until now, we had 3 veterans coming back, a plant that was probably supposed to get into the base roster and only got put in DLC because of time restraint, and 2 clear promotional picks (which happened to be both Fire Emblem). So, if we are only looking at clear new first party in DLC, if the trend continues, the future ones will be promotional picks too. But the recent and already-known-to-release-soon games on Switch do not bring potential picks that I think to be
  • feasible easily moveset-speaking (the dual character of Akira Howard for example; yes Ice Climbers and Rosalina exist but Akira would be more complex),
  • fair in a game like Smash (the reach of Spring-man)
  • and that bring anything really new (Rex is basically a swordfighter)
I can only see one "recent" first-party character gets in, and it would be one of Zelda:BotW champion (no idea which one), but that would mostly be used to promote BotW2.

If they, instead, are going for "highly requested first party", I don't see a lot of them too. I don't see Bandana Waddle Dee and Dixie bringing much to the table. Waluigi is a mixed bag (maybe if they are giving him some kind of "cheating" mechanic). I'm certainly biased, but if there are first party newcomers, I see first and foremost Elma, Isaac, Advance Wars rep, Rhythm Heaven rep and Paper Mario coming in, and for all of these, only if they are tied with a new unannounced game. All these five contenders can bring a gimmick:
  • Elma: weapon switching and skells
  • Isaac: elemental attunement and/or djinn management
  • Advance Wars: like Cheezey Bites Cheezey Bites said here, it could be a "summoner" character, summoning somewhat independant units to control the battlefield
  • Rhythm Heaven: rhythm can mean precised inputs
  • Paper Mario: the "paper" thing is full of potential for gimmicks
You will have understood that I believe in assist trophy upgrade in this second pass (I didn't believe it at all for the first one), and mostly for Isaac if a Golden Sun game is on its way (which is still within the realm of the possible considering we don't know what are doing the developers Camelot Software). I seriously can't understand how people forget that easily about Isaac when talking about AT upgrade when he was and is still one of the most requested of the "old guard" that didn't get in in the base roster like K-Rool and Ridley, or by DLC like Banjo; tied with Geno; and despite the objective fact that he has what can be asked of a DLC character: fan support (including outcry and buzz before the launch of the game), new gameplay potential, great stage potential, great musics, spirits and, for first-party, the potential to be a promotional pick.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Don't think so, everywhere we've seen talk about it so far seems to state it'll be out once Byleth is.

I mean, for what it's worth, Geno is very different from a traditional JRPG protagonist from an "asthetic" standpoint. Not to mention that Mario RPGs are loved by people who don't even like traditional JRPGs.

Though it's still absolutely Hypocricy, no denying that.
Aight I've only been in the Smash Speculation circle for a year or so, so I feel a bit in the dark about this:

How did the demand for Geno in Smash start?

He seems like a really odd pick to me; he's not from anything console-defining like Banjo or iconic like Cloud. How is it that support for Geno got to the juggernaut status it's at?

D

Deleted member

That would also work, so ignoring my bias, alright then (the missing eyes would be kinda weird though). But it’d still be incredibly disappointing (personally) and Chief is just as likely as I said later in my post.
There will be disappointment yes but it’s better than nothing

As for chief

Of course He could end up as one

But
You have no idea how big of a deal it is for chief getting in one of those packs

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Aight I've only been in the Smash Speculation circle for a year or so, so I feel a bit in the dark about this:

He seems like a really odd pick to me; he's not from anything console-defining like Banjo or iconic like Cloud. How is it that support for Geno got to the juggernaut status it's at?
Forest Maze was a popular meme back in 2007 which caused a bandwagon which ended up staying alive afterwards, similar to a fake leak causing a Dante bandwagon that led to so much genuine support Capcom commented on it

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I recall reading Sakurai planned to add Geno in Brawl once; idk if that’s accurate

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

As for chief

But
You have no idea how big of a deal it is for chief getting in one of those packs
It’d be a big deal, yes, but that doesn’t make him likelier. Steve would also be seen as a big deal for a lot of people.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I just answered this, but Mii Mage.
Convert:
Ashley [Warioware]
Lip [Panel de Pon]
Viridi [Kid Icarus]
Veronica [Dragon Quest]

New:
Magikoopa [Super Mario Bros.}
Black Mage [Final Fantasy]
White Mage [Final Fantasy]
Jessica [Dragon Quest]
Magus [Chrono Trigger]
Sypha Belnades [Castlevania]

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

I'm not sure of the start in itself. It was probably a somewhat niche pick at the start, like a lot of other characters. In fact, you can go back to Smash 4 polls before the game, Geno is non existent there.

He got a massive boost, and certainly some bandwagoning, once Sakurai stated after Sm4sh launch that he had considered Geno as a fighter, but didn't in the end for I-don't-remember which reason.

Anyway, he was and still is a mostly American pick. He is nearly unknown in Europe (because of his game not launching there back in the day), and is known but clearly not the most requested in Japan.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I'm curious if there's anyone here who's beaten both Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Could they weigh in on the subject of Byleth vs. Rex?

As someone who's only beaten Three Houses and only observed XC2 from the feedback and most notable parts, my opinion is that 3H is an all-around superior game regardless of its franchise, and thus the two can't be equivocated. But since that's not a fair or wholly-informed opinion, I'd like to hear how others compare the two.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Aight all this Fire Emblem whining has got me thinking -- what series wouldn't you mind getting another rep via DLC?

I wouldn't mind another Pokemon rep, as long as they don't pick a humanoid starter.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Humor me for a second, if layton were to get in smash, where do you think he would be on the banner?
Your idea next to Byleth examining the lance he was holding was great. Shows that he's an archaeologist and they're both professors.

Also If Layton get gets in, I hope Luke also shows up on the banner with him like how Morgana and Slime do. Same idea with Phoenix but with Maya.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
This is been on my mind for quite some time now. So, a lot of people in Japan seem to want Sephiroth in the game. If you think about it it makes sense to add the antagonist of a video game franchise to smash bros if possible. And Sephiroth seems like a good fit. However, I think the big problem with putting Sephiroth in the game is the length of his sword. DO you guys think sakurai could overcome this issue with sephiroth? If so, he could upcoming dlc

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

It initially got going during Brawl speculation, a lot of the people who took part in it grew up during the SNES era, and SMRPG is a legendary game on the console and many people's first experience with an RPG, so once the idea first gained a bit of traction (in large part thanks to Geno's name appearing at the top of an offical japanese poll from early 2006), it just began snowballing. Why his name appeared on that poll I don't think anyone here really knows, but his support has its roots in Japan, and his stereotypically cool design and personality is something that usually resonates with that crowd. The further Brawl speculation went on, the more popular he grew, by the time all the non-unlockable content had been announced (meaning Sonic, Dedede and Diddy were out of the equation) he was right up there with Ridley as the most requested character for the game.

His popularity then plummeted during the Smash 4 days, in large part thanks to being perceived as incredibly unlikely, and so his fanbase was but a shadow of what it once was. It wasn't until his Mii Costume during the last wave of DLC for that game was revealed, and Sakurai's comments that he had actually wanted to include Geno back in Brawl, that his support saw a revival. His popularity exploded once again with the additions of Ridley and K. Rool in Ultimate, which provided a bit of hope for Geno, someone who like those two had been a longterm request. It's actually fairly remarkable he managed to have this revival, during the Smash 4 days I thought back on his popularity from back then, and in hindsight it was absolutely bonkers that something like that ever happened to begin with, but here we are again.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm curious if there's anyone here who's beaten both Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Could they weigh in on the subject of Byleth vs. Rex?

As someone who's only beaten Three Houses and only observed XC2 from the feedback and most notable parts, my opinion is that 3H is an all-around superior game regardless of its franchise, and thus the two can't be equivocated. But since that's not a fair or wholly-informed opinion, I'd like to hear how others compare the two.
The answer is because Rex was too recent for the base game, not DLC. Byleth's game hadn't come out until 8 months after Smash which fit the DLC timing. Rex was never considered for DLC despite how people interpret that quote

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
Is Cloud's sword the same size in smash bros as it is canonically? Or did Sakurai have to shrink it down a bit? Would he need to do the same thing with Sephiroth or is his case impossible to be realized?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is Cloud's sword the same size in smash bros as it is canonically? Or did Sakurai have to shrink it down a bit? Would he need to do the same thing with Sephiroth or is his case impossible to be realized?
Sephiroth's sword changes size in every appearance it has, not to mention Sakurai's been inconsistent with swords before as seen with Melee Marth having a larger sword than later versions of Marth

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Fire Emblem has been a blast thusfar -- I thought it was going to get tedious doing all the different routes (tbf the academy does start to get boring when you do one route right after the other) but the different story post-timeskip for each route surprised me and made the game engaging for a full 4 playthroughs.

XC2 on the other hand was unbearable, mostly on account of the terrible writing, annoying voice acting (does everyone need a corny English accent) and atrocious character design; all being thrown into a pretty bad UI. Didn't finish

I wish the slot was given to a FE:TH character other than Byleth, but they deserved the slot way more than Rex,

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To reiterate why bendy limbs for Steve would look off personally:

-He looks good with his regular limbs to me.
-The Mii limbs are sorta like regular human limbs, so the way they bend would look odd.
-If they bend like they do in the Minecraft Dungeons trailer, where it’s just at right-angles, it’d look fine. Maybe even if not just at right-angles, but only with one elbow joint and it’s still an edge instead of being rounded, and isn’t like the Mii limbs/they shouldn’t turn aside from the body-connecting joints.
-Official trailers already give them personality, they could even animate his eyes like the bees’ eyes in one trailer, if not how it’s done in Dungeons or in Bedrock Edition/Minecraft Earth.

I don’t expect anyone to agree, but this is why I think he’d look much better as his own fighter instead of as a model swap for a Mii, even ignoring my bias.

Heck, to be honest, I even think those animations some Minecraft fans make with very bendy limbs look okay on their own, although they are somewhat odd and stray from Minecraft’s style, so I personally don’t like them much...but anyway, I hope y’all understand instead of completely ignoring my view and going at me with “how would he even work as a fighter then?” as if straight, rectangular limbs are really oh-so objectively awful when no, they’re not.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
This is been on my mind for quite some time now. So, a lot of people in Japan seem to want Sephiroth in the game. If you think about it it makes sense to add the antagonist of a video game franchise to smash bros if possible. And Sephiroth seems like a good fit. However, I think the big problem with putting Sephiroth in the game is the length of his sword. DO you guys think sakurai could overcome this issue with sephiroth? If so, he could upcoming dlc
If Simon's whip isn't an issue, I don't see why Masamune would be.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace

I played both. Personnal opinion: I don't understand at all all the hype around Fire Emblem. It's a good game, but there are clearly two major flaw: the somewhat bad pacing of the days off (too many annoying stuff to do), and Byleth itself (zero personnality).

XC2 also has flaws, but I never felt obligated to come back to play it, on the contrary to FE3H, for which I forced myself to come back to finish it because of the poor pace.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think it is a hit shorter, but also, that now he swings it in awkward ways and angles that don’t take advantage of it the range.

For example, his arm is bent while he’s swinging it in his nair. Makes it seem pathetically shorter than it really is.

His forward Tilt also looks pretty bizarre so it doesn’t take full advantage of its range.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman

As for chief

But
By the way you phrase this it sounds like that just because Chief is a big character it raises his chances. In some circumstances being big can help like Sonic for instance but in chiefs case I don’t think so because the fact he is a mascot of a rival company may deter them away from
Chief. Banjo wouldn’t have made it in if it wasn’t for the vocal support surrounding him and Chief wouldn’t have started being seriously discussed if it wasn’t for Banjo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

To be fair, I don't think the quality of the two games was a factor in the slightest. For example, Fates was considered a divisive game even among the FE fandom and Corrin still got in.

Fates also launched a month after Splatoon, which despite its success, especially considering it was the Wii U of all things, didn't get the slot.

So weirdly enough, even though 3H is a good game, I don't think its quality was measured against other games/IPs at all.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I still think it’s mechanics. Byleth is from FE which is probably the easiest series to translate to Smash. Xenoblade 2’s battle system was vastly different from 1 and X and (IMO) would be VERY difficult to translate to Smash while remaining faithful to the source material.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So weirdly enough, even though 3H is a good game, I don't think its quality was really a factor.
Considering what we know about the production timeline, Byleth was decided on a good while before Three Houses released. So yeah, the reception of 3H, or Xeno 2 for that matter, had no real bearing on their representation in Smash... nor did the sales or impact of 3H like I've heard people saying.

Like, yeah Three Houses might be a great game, but that isn't really the justification for Byleth being here. If Byleth was added as part of the second pass I would say yeah sure 3H looks like it breathed some new life into the series and was extremely successful etc etc, but the main thing that's bugged me about Byleth is how none of that actually played a role in getting them here.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Saying a character would work better as a Mii Costume is basically a polite way of saying, "I don't want them playable."

I mean, how many times have you seen a character and genuinely said to yourself, "Woah! Now that is the kind of character who would look awesome as a disproportional costume for my stubby-limbed, generic avatar!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom