• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
None because that would require completely rewriting the base game by removing Assist Trophies. That's just not going to happen and doesn't make sense. Characters like Waluigi, Shadow, Skull Kid are all Assist Trophy characters that are not going to graduate into playable characters in Ultimate. There is no good reason for the developers to do all that extra work when they could make something entirely new that doesn't require adjusting the base game.
I don't think promotions are gonna happen, but to say that a simple line of code saying "don't add this Assist to the pool while [x] is present" is a ton of extra work is ridiculous.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
None because that would require completely rewriting the base game by removing Assist Trophies. That's just not going to happen and doesn't make sense. Characters like Waluigi, Shadow, Skull Kid are all Assist Trophy characters that are not going to graduate into playable characters in Ultimate. There is no good reason for the developers to do all that extra work when they could make something entirely new that doesn't require adjusting the base game.
They can just not make the AT show up when the fighter is on the field, and they already have coding to prevent some ATs from spawning on certain stages.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't think promotions are gonna happen, but to say that a simple line of code saying "don't add this Assist to the pool while [x] is present" is a ton of extra work is ridiculous.
Pretty much. There's already restrictions on what ATs can appear on what stage, so I doubt this would be a real issue.

I.D.

Smash Lord
NOOOOOOO A WALUIGI CAME OUT FROM THE ASSIST TROPHY WHILE I WAS PLAYING WALUIGI, MY IMMERSION IS RUINED

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pretty much. There's already restrictions on what ATs can appear on what stage, so I doubt this would be a real issue.
Even DLC stages have to have a limited AT pool when some of them conflict with KoF Stadium's invisible walls.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Ok, what do you guys think about Assist trophy promotions? What are the chances that we'll get at least one? I don't expect them to make the 2nd pass all promotions but it would be nice to promote 1 or 2 Assists into actual fighters.
Zero percent chances unless it’s wah. Seriously though Waluigi has a pretty good shot at dlc imo. No one other than him though as I’d expect if anyone to be promoted it’ll be him and just him. I don’t view Waluigi as one of the most likely characters but I think he has a pretty good shot in the grand scheme of things

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Ok, what do you guys think about Assist trophy promotions? What are the chances that we'll get at least one? I don't expect them to make the 2nd pass all promotions but it would be nice to promote 1 or 2 Assists into actual fighters.
None and Byleth aka "savior of 1st parties" is the proof. The season pass was decided months before Ultimate released and Sakurai was given an early copy to play 3 Houses. He held off from adding any 3 Houses spirits or any content at all from it into Ultimate for a long time, until Byleth's release. Sakurai adding spirits, assist trophies, etc is his way of saying "I don't want to make this character".

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I would agree with you, but the real problem is who. Most of the requestesd characters can't be in for a reason or another, there aren't many option left.
That's why I said only 30% of chance, because while it would make a lot of sense, there is still a problem of what character could become the newcomer.
Maybe a new character from BotW2.

Classic Ganon is a no brainer but for some reason both the developers and the fanbase don't seem to consider it as a serious option, sadly.
i personally don't mind that much Clasic ganon. is just that i like more Kass, Mipha, Urbosa, Revali, Daruk, Skull kid, Impa, Vaati, Agitha, and is tied with Tingle and Midna for Zelda newcomers i would love *Shrug*.

There is ton of great Zelda options, and i'm all in for Zelda getting an echo and even 2 characters somehow.. is just that the support is certainly diluted ona ton of character and all of us love different things.

I for example think that a botw or botw 2 newcomer is teh real no brainer.

What i would LOVE of clasic ganon is if he comes with an A link to teh Past stage. though...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If we do get Echo Fighters in Volume 2, I want Ocarina of Time Adult Link back because I want to play as an Adult Link who wears both a Green hat and wears Gauntlets. I don't like the Tunic of the Wild Link at all.

I don't like Echo Fighters but OoT Adult Link would be best suited for it. Not sure who he would go over, Link or Young Link.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still personally think Spring Man is the most likely AT promotion. Idk why

Part of me WANTS to see Yuri Kozukata promoted tho cause I love Fatal Frame

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
i personally don't mind that much Clasic ganon. is just that i like more Kass, Mipha, Urbosa, Revali, Daruk, Skull kid, Impa, Vaati, Agitha, and is tied with Tingle and Midna for Zelda newcomers i would love *Shrug*.

There is ton of great Zelda options, and i'm all in for Zelda getting an echo and even 2 characters somehow.. is just that the support is certainly diluted ona ton of character and all of us love different things.

I for example think that a botw or botw 2 newcomer is teh real no brainer.

What i would LOVE of clasic ganon is if he comes with an A link to teh Past stage. though...
The Golden Pyramid would be a pretty hype stage.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing I'm still wondering. How come Sans came with Banjo and Cuphead is coming with Byleth instead of the other way around.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Still personally think Spring Man is the most likely AT promotion. Idk why
Because Sakurai wanted to see him be a fighter? In that case, I guess Krystal is too, because she was considered but passed over due to it being late in development and Wolf being more suitable for reused Fox assets.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
One thing I'm still wondering. How come Sans came with Banjo and Cuphead is coming with Byleth instead of the other way around.
because why would you have a smash direct with no actual characters and just mii costumes for gunners

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
"Completely rewrite the game"

Man, you really don't know how it works do you?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Maybe BotW 2 will give Skull Kid at least a somewhat prominent role, and he can get added to Smash. Now if only Sakurai wouldn't ruin him like he did Byleth.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
"Completely rewrite the game"

Man, you really don't know how it works do you?
Especially considering that they already have code to prevent ATs from spawning on certain stages, especially those where they make background cameos, such as Knuckles on Green Hill Zone and the Moon on Great Bay.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
because why would you have a smash direct with no actual characters and just mii costumes for gunners
See, I know you're missing the point on purpose for comedy, but probably would have been a better set up in some regards

Bee Card

Smash Ace
I actually want a new mii fighter (wizard to be specific) but IMO to work it needs to be a free character, and expect to make teh money back by selling costumes for it (Black mage costume and White mage costume, both with a classic FF track). It would be a little overcomplicated to want to buy that sweet Sypha Belnades Mii costume, that comes with Alucard's Fighter pass, but you need to buy wii wizards first :/.
If they put Alucard I'd turn a blind eye on a mii fighter in the season pass :chuckle:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Could they do things in the game to upgrades spirits and Assist trophies? Probably, yes.

Will they? I think that’s another discussion entirely.

Just because they can doesn’t mean they will.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
See, I know you're missing the point on purpose for comedy, but probably would have been a better set up in some regards
Was the point that you genuinely wanted a direct solely to promote only Mii Gunner skins? :drshrug:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just because they can doesn’t mean they will.
Just because they never have doesn't mean they never will.

I'll be in my 60s and if Waluigi isn't in Smash 10 he'll get in there eventually

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I actually want a new mii fighter (wizard to be specific) but IMO to work it needs to be a free character, and expect to make teh money back by selling costumes for it (Black mage costume and White mage costume, both with a classic FF track). It would be a little overcomplicated to want to buy that sweet Sypha Belnades Mii costume, that comes with Alucard's Fighter pass, but you need to buy wii wizards first.
100% agree. We NEED a Mii Mage, but that's not something they should charge for. Especially since they'll be selling costumes for it.

Ashley, Lip, Viridi, Veronica outfits immediately get switched over. New costumes like White/Black/Red Mage from FF1. Magikoopa. etc.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Just because they never have doesn't mean they never will.

I'll be in my 60s and if Waluigi isn't in Smash 10 he'll get in there eventually
That’s true, but that’s still not necessarily a strong case for why it’s happen.

It’s a highly circumstantial possibility. I understand people think it’ll happen, but I’m frankly unconvinced.

Basically, I’ll believe it when I see it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If any ATs promote then it should be Lyn, right? :p
Nah Lin's dumb. The Arcade Bunny is where it's at!

I actually want a new mii fighter (wizard to be specific) but IMO to work it needs to be a free character, and expect to make teh money back by selling costumes for it (Black mage costume and White mage costume, both with a classic FF track). It would be a little overcomplicated to want to buy that sweet Sypha Belnades Mii costume, that comes with Alucard's Fighter pass, but you need to buy wii wizards first :/.
I think Sakurai commented on this request, saying something like "nah we don't do archetypes for the heck of it. We need good gameplay to go with it." which I mean...yes, but at the same time I still think we should have gotten a mage archetype for those who want to make a magical character. Besides, a magic user that doesn't have to have any ties to any sort of source material means infinite potential for something super cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As far as AT promotions go, I don't see it ever happening. If it were up to me though, I think I'd choose either Bomberman, Isaac, Alucard, Skull Kid, essentially anyone but Waluigi.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Bruh how come people angry that the majority of the fighters pass is JRPG but at the same time they want Geno? Bruh

D

Deleted member

Bruh how come people angry that the majority of the fighters pass is JRPG but at the same time they want Geno? Bruh
Most Geno fans don't really care about the majority of the pass being JRPG characters. If they did care, they wouldn't be supporting Geno or their beliefs would be a little contradicting. And if that is the case where a Geno supporter disslikes the amount of JRPG characters, they're a tiny minority.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not likely the same people. If it is, then it's likely an aesthetic thing. Joker, Hero, and Byleth have a similar look to them (which is to say that they're all humans that are very anime in design, anyone who says that they look like they share a universe is being dumb). Geno on the other hand, is distinct from pretty much anything that isn't a Whittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom