• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I tried using the template for Fighters Pass predictions, but it didn't work out. Whatever. Instead I'll just use text.

Here it is: My Initial Fighters Pass 2 Predictions
Please note that these are subject to change.

I'm working under the assumption of a limited budget, which would therefore lead to Nintendo working mostly with companies already on board with Smash and mainly taking B and C tier third parties (aside from one or two). We'll also assume these are the last characters, so Sakurai's trying to fill in some blanks.
View attachment 258766
Dante (Devil May Cry)

I sincerely believe that Capcom is getting a DLC rep at some point, and I think if we're getting one it has to be Dante. Given the suspect timing of current series director Hidaki Itsuno saying that if fans want Dante in Smash they should get DMC on Switch and the soon after releases of DMC 1, 2, and 3 (with added features) on Switch, the resurgence of DMC with V achieving critical acclaim (DMC IS BACK) alongside the aforementioned ports, and Dante's surprising uptick in popularity over the span of Fighters Pass 1, I think he'd edge out the Capcom competition. When it comes to gameplay, he could use the popular style change mechanic to change fighting styles on the fly, or just have a ****-ton of moves like he does in MvC3.
View attachment 258762
Lloyd Irving (Tales of)

Say hello to your core fanbase pick. I've written about Lloyd in the past, and the points about him I made back then still hold to this day. I believe the lack of his costume (or any Namco costumes in general) is kind of suspect, and unlike Heihachi he didn't get any references in base, which is even more suspect. Tales of is pretty much the last major JRPG series remaining not in Smash, Lloyd is the Tales of pick according to Sakurai, and Lloyd could bring a lot to the table with chaining arte attacks. His popularity in the core fanbase and likely solid ballot turnout are definitely also factors in his favor.
View attachment 258770
Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default)

This is probably my most out-there prediction, but I believe Square is going to return to Nintendo for more sweet sweet Smash money, and they're going to put forward Bravely Default. Bravely Default is making a comeback with 2 releasing on Switch, so you could consider this somewhat of a "shill-pick" for lack of a better word, as Agnes (or any Bravely character) would be added in part to promote the franchise on Switch (it's still a solidly notable franchise regardless).

Why would Sakurai choose Bravely over other prominent Square Enix characters? One word: moveset. Sakurai is on the record saying that moveset is more important than recognizability, and the job-swapping mechanic so central to the Bravely Default games is oozing fun moveset potential. In 2016 Sakurai spitballed a job-changing moveset in an interview and then stopped himself to remark that "actually, that would be kind of interesting." I'm assuming that Sakurai is working under his eternal assumption that this is pack is the end of Smash Bros., and would therefore be interested in revisiting novel ideas like this. It's a matter of certain variables coming together in a perfect way to get Bravely into Smash.

Before you ask, yes, Geno gets hit up with the deluxe Mii Costume treatment.

OR
View attachment 258785

Nintendo character (**** if I know)
In an alternate world where Smash DLC doesn't double-dip with companies, I'd reserve a spot for an up-and-coming Nintendo IP. I don't know why but I really feel like, if we get another Nintendo rep, it'll be from Monolith's new IP. If there's any game Sakurai would play early to include a character in Smash for, I feel like it'd be the new IP given how much he loves Monolith Soft's work. You could also include Stylist (Style Savvy - my second personal pick), Euden (Dragalia Lost - we're sleeping on him imo), or Ring Fit Trainer (Ring Fit Trainer - I heavily doubt this one since I don't know how she could properly differentiate herself from Wii Fit Trainer) among others (though I personally doubt the latter most). You could also include characters from IPs close to Nintendo, such as Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) or Gran (or any Granblue character) (Granblue Fantasy - we're seriously sleeping on this series imo Nintendo owns 5% of Cygames it'd be so easy and get so much money). Hell, you could even put Geno (Super Mario RPG) here I guess.

This is pretty much just a flex spot since I don't ****in' know who it'll be, just that it'll be a really easy character to get.
View attachment 258779
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)

I feel like Arle would've been next in line as a Sega rep if only they hadn't bought Atlus. She actually placed decently in the Ballot era, especially in Western observations of Japanese fan speculation. Sega's been making a harder push for the series to be one of their main series recently, and In terms of moveset she's a puzzle rep. Sakurai could do a lot with that. Good popularity, good relevance, good moveset, good pick.
View attachment 258783
Adol Christin (Ys)

Remember when I said Tales of was the last major JRPG series not in Smash? I lied.

The Ys series is pretty much the last major JRPG not in Smash, and is to Action RPGs as Dragon Quest is to JRPGs. It's been around since 1987 and pretty much paved the way for later Action RPGs (and also kinda chiptunes) after it. Falcom is a major Japanese video game development company, and while the Ys series is relatively niche in the West
  • a) That didn't keep Dragon Quest out of Smash, and
  • b) Could bring a lot of interesting movesets given the many different mechanics his games have introduced. If taking from Lacrimosa of Dana, the Flash Guard and Flash Dodge systems could be used to make him a highly mobile swordfighter who relies on precisely timed spotdodges and parries to inflict large damage on opponents.
There are other points to be made and I'd love to write a full speculation post on him if I had the time, but for the sake of brevity I'll cap things here.
View attachment 258788
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

A former icon of a major competitor, a defining character of the fifth generation of consoles, making a resurgence, would please the core fanbase alongside casuals, Activision is pretty close to Nintendo, etc. etc. etc.
I could see these being one of the slots, but am not confident enough to predict it
View attachment 258789View attachment 258790
Sora (Kingdom Hearts) or Master Chief (Halo)
The other two major bombshell characters besides Dante. However, I see Dante as more likely given Capcom is already on board with Smash. Comparatively, Sora entails Nintendo negotiating with Disney, and given the timeline of Disney warming up to video games (around Summer 2019) and Pass 2 being decided (before November 2019), there's only a very small window where negotiations would even be seriously possible, let alone succeed. I also work under the assumption that, given Sora's popularity since the Ballot era, negotiations have been attempted and failed before, which adds another layer to the complicated question of "Would Nintendo approach Disney for Sora in Smash?" Master Chief has to contend with lesser popularity in Japan and the language barrier between Japanese and English. While that worked out for Banjo, it's worth mentioning that Banjo was popular in both America and Japan, whereas Master Chief is not. Both are possible, but impractical unless DLC 2 has an increased budget (which I doubt it does).

No ****in' way we get both of them in one pass. If we do I'll ****in' eat crow but there's no way it happens.

View attachment 258793
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

It's like yeah, I see the merits of his inclusion (historic ties to Nintendo, Nintendo and Koei Tecmo being close since the Wii U era, etc.), but also he doesn't really appeal to any major groups. He only picked up traction as a result of leaks, which then brought his merits to light. His popularity in speculation seems to have fizzled down since then.

View attachment 258794
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)

I think to myself "would Sakurai approach Arc System Works for Sol Badguy?" and I honestly don't know. I don't think I know enough about Guilty Gear to make a call of if it's on the same level as King of Fighters in terms of history and icon status, nor do I know how easy it'd be to license him given Guilty Gear's large resurgence. He'd be hella cool tho.
That's a pretty good prediction overall, but I'm curious to hear why you said "Activision is pretty close to Nintendo" on the Crash part. I really don't think they are and I honestly think that the Smash fanbase in general is over-estimating Crash chances to be in the game.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
May as well share my wants. There are a lot of other characters I'd love to see but heres what I narrowed it down to.
yes.png
Honorable mentions include-
Master Chief
Kiryu
Steve
Ryu
Crash
Katamari Prince
Dixie
Cranky
Maxwell
So pretty much any character whose in a game that I've played and enjoyed. Going to start NMH soon so maybe Travis will join that pile too. As for mii outfits, my predictions are going to be hollow knight and hat kid. Maybe quote too for a gunner.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but at least SuMo got represented instead of being left out of Smash's roster altogether.
"But at least a quota was filled out" isn't good enough when FE fans who preferred Chrom as their Awakening rep got him playable.

I.D.

Smash Lord
"But at least a quota was filled out" isn't good enough when FE fans who preferred Chrom as their Awakening rep got him playable.
Yeah but consider Fire Emblem is Sakurai's favorite series and others are not, so it doesn't take much convincing for him to include fan favorites.
You're going to have to take what you get, and be thankful if you get anything at all. The alternative is forming a very large group of people and petitioning for many, many years. Just look at how long it took to get characters like Ridley and K. Rool into the game.

This is why I found it funny that Elma fans usually attacked Rex and Xenoblade 2, as if they were in a position to demand a specific Xenoblade character. In the end they got nothing.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
That was kind of a thing in Smash 4 but the competitive community complained about it and was one of the reasons why they banned the Mii's so they now have a universal proportions now.

A shame, since some Mii costumes like Lip look way too off model at the default proportions....
To be fair, part of the issue wasn’t merely the fact that Mii sizes existed, but also the fact that they were something that could be set only in Mii Maker rather than in-game. In Ultimate, you can access Mii Maker directly from the Mii Fighter creation screen, but you couldn’t in either version of Smash 4, so you’d have to close out the game and thus severely drag down the pace of the tournament. (Plus, the Mii height slider wasn’t consistent between the 3DS and Wii U versions of Mii Maker, which didn't help.)

On a side note, the sizes were very poorly balanced. Small Miis are supposed to be fast but weaker and big Miis are supposed to be slower but stronger, but it resulted in a severe difference in speed but with a tiny difference in power, making big Miis completely useless and small Miis sometimes kind of ridiculous (remember small Mii Brawler?) Plus, for Swordfighter, large Miis have a visually longer reaching weapon, but the hitboxes don’t actually increase in length to reflect that.

Edit. IMO the best way to implement sizes would be to have it be selectable from the Mii Fighter creation screen, rather than being reliant on Mii Maker’s height and weight settings. If they did decide to make it be based on Mii Maker, though, at least it would be less obnoxious than in Smash 4.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That's a pretty good prediction overall, but I'm curious to hear why you said "Activision is pretty close to Nintendo" on the Crash part. I really don't think they are and I honestly think that the Smash fanbase in general is over-estimating Crash chances to be in the game.
Activision's ported a lot of games over recently. At the very least Activision has a vested stake in Nintendo and the Switch, which could be capitalized on in Smash.

Once I got to section on Adol my argument quality took a solid hit since I just wanted to post it, and it took an even worse hit when I got to Crash, so he got the short end of the stick.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Behold, a fighter's pass for degenerates, by degenerates.
Any reason why you're labeling Demi-fiend as from SMTV? Was something revealed?

Aside from that, I must be a degenerate because this is a great Pass. I can smell the memes from Demi-fiend and Dante getting in together.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Any reason why you're labeling Demi-fiend as from SMTV? Was something revealed?

Aside from that, I must be a degenerate because this is a great Pass. I can smell the memes from Demi-fiend and Dante getting in together.
Nah, I got lazy and just used whatever title was the latest for each of the series.

Dante I'd have used DMC5, but DMC3:SE Switch is a big enough upgrade that I feel makes it more than just another port of that game.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
How would you react if this was how the fighter's pass turned out?
most wanted fp2.png

The common thread is that these are my three most wanted first and third parties.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
View attachment 258810
The common thread is that these are my three most wanted first and third parties.
I love Scribblenauts so i'll take it just for that. Grovyle is pretty cool if he's based on the mystery dungeon version and Bandanna dee is cute. Kamek would be kind of boring ngl, even if I do like him as an enemy.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Love this one. Four characters I have in my wants (even if Dante is only my second most-wanted Capcom rep just under Phoenix) and two others in Doom Slayer and Demifiend that would be cool. Obviously any pass with Travis and 2B has me hype.
View attachment 258810
This is a cute pass. Very unusual, but it makes me smile. I used to really love Scribblenauts and I think around the Sm4sh days he'd be an amazing pick. It's a shame the series kinda petered out after the first few. Frisk is an interesting case - Undertale is great (I sadly think Sans deconfirms Frisk) but I've never been 100% on what their name would be in-game if they got in... That said they would have a very cool moveset especially if it was based around sparing and attacking and that affected how the character played. The others like Kamek and Bandana Dee and Grovyle (especially with PMD coming back) aren't exactly "hype bombs" but are friendly and fun picks that would bring unique shapes and designs to the series. X is a super cool pick too but I'm a huge Mega Man fan so, yeah, any Mega Man rep is cool with me.

I like it. It has a lot of variety while being very low-key (which isn't a bad thing).

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
B6E1AC2C-C5CC-4212-B062-A759E00F98C2.jpeg

Bro omg my favorite character got in omg so cool omg I’m so excited omg spirit omg omg you guys think it’s real

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
View attachment 258821
Bro omg my favorite character got in omg so cool omg I’m so excited omg spirit omg omg you guys think it’s real
I mean, nobody on the internet could ever make things up, right? Can't believe Jolyne's shafted here though smh
Hell ****in yeah I know **** all about Demifiend but this **** works

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So I went and made an image with my predictions for Fighters Pass 2...

-snip-

Allow me to provide some details (spoiler-ed of course, since this entire post would otherwise be too big). First, some general stuff that I think will happen, even if the specific characters above don't happen...
  • I think this pass will introduce a character from a third-party who so far lacks any playable characters.
  • With Capcom and Bandai Namco not getting additional playable characters in the first Pass (and the base game if you don't count Echo Fighters), I'm thinking Fighters Pass 2 will bring in additional characters from those two companies.
  • With this Pass having six characters instead of just five, I think that at least one third-party company will get a "double dip" and have two characters in the pass.
  • With Byleth establishing that first-party characters are still on the table, I think Fighters Pass 2 will have at least one first-party character.
  • Furthermore, I think this Pass will finally give us our first "promoted to playable" character. Whether it's an Assist Trophy, Mii Fighter costume, or a Spirit, I think we're seeing one of those make the jump to being playable in this Pass.
  • With Byleth also establishing that your game doesn't have to be released to be picked for DLC, I think Fighters Pass 2, for better or for worse, will also have another such character: someone whose game wasn't out yet by the time the DLC for Fighters Pass 2 was finalized... a "shill pick" if you're not feeling charitable.
Now, for my very specific predictions for which characters will be in this Pass, along with which Mii Fighter costumes they'll come with...
  1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
    • One of the last few big gaming icons of the NES days, and still has a notable Nintendo connection even today. With Koei Tecmo having a good relationship with Nintendo and even some content in Smash (Fatal Frame's Yuri Kozukata as an Assist Trophy), I think now's the time they're gonna get a playable character, with Hayabusa being the most likely. The Mii Fighter costume wave will mostly be ninja-themed...
      • :ultswordfighter:Momiji (Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword) - A pick for the obvious Ninja Gaiden costume, and a reoccurring character who's also made appearances in Dead or Alive and the Warriors games.
      • :ultbrawler:Kasumi (Dead or Alive) - The designated Dead or Alive costume, who's also a character in the Ninja Gaiden series. Specifically a brawler costume to keep with Dead or Alive being a fighting game.
      • :ultswordfighter:Nobunaga Oda (Samurai Warriors) - The title character of one of Koei Tecmo's long running turn-based strategy game series, specifically based off of his appearance in the Samurai Warriors series.
      • :ultswordfighter:Joe Musashi (Shinobi) - Since Terry technically came with Sega costumes, I could see Hayabusa also coming with similar costumes. For one, Joe Musashi from Sega's own ninja video game series Shinobi would be a perfect fit...
      • :ultbrawler:Kage-Maru (Virtua Fighter) - ...as would Kage-Maru, who would also be a brawler costume like Kasumi.
  2. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
    • In terms of Capcom characters that could make it into Smash, Phoenix Wright honestly feels like the most likely. His only "competition" in regards to other Capcom characters are a Resident Evil character and Dante from Devil May Cry. The former was shot down thanks to a Spirit Event, and while the latter is also likely, I think Wright would manage to edge out between the two. His series is very closely associated with Nintendo (to the point that, along with Professor Layton, Ace Attorney is listed on the Nintendo UK website as part of the Nintendo Characters Hub), having made its home on Nintendo handhelds like the GBA, DS, and 3DS, and his series was also acknowledged by Sakurai, if only for a TGS promo that managed to catch his eye.
      • :ultbrawler:Blue Badger (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) - Specifically based off of the full body costume from Ace Attorney Investigations. Also, the blue color will change to pink depending on the Mii Fighter's gender.
      • :ultswordfighter:Steel Samurai and Pink Princess (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) - A pair of in-universe fictional characters from the TV show, and perfect fodder for Swordfighter costumes.
      • :ultgunner:Bass (Mega Man 7) - To go with the returning Mega Man costumes, I think we'll likely get a new one based on Bass.
      • :ultswordfighter:Hunter's Armor and Rathalos Armor (Monster Hunter) - The only Capcom costumes that haven't returned yet, and it actually makes sense that they would return with Phoenix Wright, since both the Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter series have had crossover collaborations before.
  3. Heihachi (Tekken)
    • Since the base game of Smash 4, Bandai Namco has had only Pac-Man as their sole playable character. They didn't get one during Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate's base game, or the previous Fighters Pass... so I'm gonna take a shot and say they're getting a character in this pass, specifically Heihachi, the main villain of Bandai Namco's Tekken fighting game series. He's also a character that Sakurai has considered before for Smash 4, and while it ultimately never happened due to Sakurai not knowing how to implement Heihachi's moveset into Smash... Sakurai has changed his mind before, so Fighters Pass 2 might be it this time. Like Terry, Heihachi's Mii Fighter costume wave will be fighting game themed...
      • :ultbrawler:King (Tekken) - There's technically two characters with the name King. The one from the first Tekken game, and his successor from Tekken 3 onward. I think it could go either way with this one.
      • :ultswordfighter:Yoshimitsu (Tekken) - A character who's had different appearances in every Tekken game. I think his Tekken 3 appearance is most likely, considering it has made appearances in more than one game (specifically Tekken Tag Tournament and Street Fighter X Tekken), but who knows. Maybe Sakurai would go with a different one... or maybe Yoshimitsu's Swordfighter costume would have a wholly original Smash design.
      • :ultbrawler:Mokujin (Tekken 3) - A training dummy character who mimics the moves and abilities of the other fighters.
      • :ultswordfighter:Master Raven (Tekken 7) - I don't know if a Tekken 7 costume is likely, but if it happens, I think Master Raven would be the most likely out of Tekken 7's newcomers. INB4 "Negan for Smash" jokes.
      • :ultbrawler:Chun-Li (Street Fighter II) - Really needs no explanation.
      • :ultbrawler:Bahn (Fighting Vipers) - Another Sega fighting game costume, this time a character that appeared in Project X Zone along with Heihachi.
  4. Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
    • ... yup, I think Bandai Namco will be "double dipped" for this Pass. Not only do I think Heihachi is coming, but so is Lloyd, one of the most heavily requested characters for Smash. Both Lloyd and Heihachi were Mii Fighter costumes in Smash 4, and with both being absent so far, I think both will be making the jump to playable status. His Mii Fighter costume wave will all be swordfighters based on other Bandai Namco characters...
      • :ultswordfighter:Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) - Obligatory Tales costumes, the former being one of the most popular characters in the Tales series, and the latter being the main character of the first Tales game.
      • :ultswordfighter:Sophitia (Soulcalibur) - One of the main characters of Bandai Namco's other fighting game series.
      • :ultswordfighter:Chosen Undead (Dark Souls) - Another big RPG game that Bandai Namco has been involved with (being the publishers of Dark Souls).
      • :ultswordfighter:Valkyrie (The Adventure of Valkyrie) and Gil (The Tower of Druaga) - Two characters from Bandai Namco's classic arcade games, with Gil being another returning costume.
  5. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
    • Byleth has shown that first-party characters are certainly not off the table in regards to Ultimate DLC... and they also show that it's never too late for any character to make it into Smash. I think Rex & Pyra are gonna be the token first-party character of Fighters Pass 2, being from a game that Sakurai has notably praised. Initially a Mii Fighter costume that Sakurai apologized for, they'll also be the first "promoted" character making the jump from being a costume to playable. Like Byleth and Banjo-Kazooie, their Mii Fighter costume wave will be a grab bag of mostly unrelated costumes...
      • :ultswordfighter:The Prince (Prince of Persia) - With Ubisoft getting more content in Smash (such as the Assassin's Creed and Rabbids costumes), I think it's likely we'll see another costume.
      • :ultgunner:Mei (Overwatch) - Controversy or no, I see Overwatch likely getting some sort of representation. If not a playable character, then at least a Mii costume of a character like Mei.
      • :ultswordfighter:Ancient Nord Armor and Daedric Armor (Skyrim) - Same thing goes for Skyrim, which I can see getting the Monster Hunter treatment of having Mii Fighter costumes based on different armor sets.
      • :ultmiifighters:Chocobo (Final Fantasy) - One of the returning Mii Fighter hats. Might as well include it with another JRPG character...
      • :ultgunner:Quote (Cave Story) - Like Sans and Cuphead, this is another Mii Fighter costume I could see getting the deluxe treatment, with a really good looking costume that closely resembles the character and comes with a music track (specifically, a remix of "On to Grasstown").
  6. Susie (Deltarune)
    • ... yup, I'm going here. I think Fighters Pass 2 is gonna have another Byleth-esque pick that was chosen before their game was even out yet... and it's gonna be Susie from Deltarune, who will also be Ultimate's first fully playable indie game character. At the time of this post, the full game isn't out yet, only the first chapter. We've already gotten a Sans costume, complete with a remix of Megalovania by Toby Fox himself, and we know that Sakurai and Fox are at least on good terms with each other, so it wouldn't surprise me if we were to get a character from Fox's upcoming game. As for the Mii Fighter costumes, it'll mostly be references to games with Toby Fox's involvement...
      • :ultswordfighter:Kris (Deltarune) - The main protagonist of Susie's game.
      • :ultbrawler:Axe (Little Town Hero) - One of two Game Freak games that Fox has had a hand in, in this case writing the entire game's soundtrack.
      • :ultbrawler:Bea (Pokemon Sword and Shield) - The other Game Freak game with music by Toby Fox, albeit just one song this time.
      • :ultswordfighter:Papyrus (Undertale) - Another character from Undertale. Like his brother, he's a Mii Fighter costume who comes with a music track, this time a remix of his theme "Bonetrousle".
      • :ultswordfighter:Shovel Knight - The only exception to the "Toby Fox" theme here. Since a lot of people want Shovel Knight to be playable, I can see Sakurai meeting everyone halfway and making him into a deluxe Mii Fighter costume that comes with a music track (for this one, "In the Halls of the Usurper").

Whether my predictions are right, wrong, or somewhere inbetween, hopefully we won't have to wait long to find out.
With everyone posting potential Fighters Passes right now, I decided to go back to the predictions I posted on Friday and make a change (since I was admittedly grasping for reasons for one of the characters)...

The last version of this had Susie from Deltarune, with the reasoning being that she would be a promotional pick for a game that wasn't out yet by the time Fighters Pass 2 was finalized (similar to Byleth being picked for the first Fighters Pass before Fire Emblem: Three Houses was released). Since it was made clear that I was reaching, I'm changing my Fighters Pass 2 prediction a bit and instead going with a more "reasonable" pick - Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, serving as promotion for the currently upcoming Guilty Gear -STRIVE-, and who would also fit the recent speculation I've seen of Fighters Pass 2 having a lower budget and thus going for "lesser known" third party characters. I also think Sol and Fighter Pass 2 in general will follow the pattern of the "last" DLC character being divisive and controversial, in this case Sol (assuming the entire above image is accurate and we also get Ryu Hayabusa and Heihachi) leading to claims that Smash has "too many fighting game characters".

What would your reaction be if the above were the characters (and Mii Fighter costumes) we were getting?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man I really, REALLY want Phoenix so bad. Him or Amaterasu (Bonus if both) but I have a gut feeling Dante will be the Capcom rep since its a given we'll be getting one.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I will say, I feel they're going to have to reveal the first FP2 character as soon as possible, otherwise there's no incentive to buy the pass. That's the whole reason they revealed Joker so early.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
That was kind of a thing in Smash 4 but the competitive community complained about it and was one of the reasons why they banned the Mii's so they now have a universal proportions now.

A shame, since some Mii costumes like Lip look way too off model at the default proportions....
II'm not sure of was teh only reason casue in tournament play they often had only one standar height.. but IMO the biggest problem with smash for wiiu mmiis was that they had a granular height and therfeore a granular reach and stuff. which gave a variable too awkward to measure.

What i'm proposing is 3 different standar heights that don't vary too much, but this heights also have different head/body ratio proportions. Meaning that all tall miis swordsman have the same range. I don't think this would be a problem for tournaments because tournaments likely will have premade miis and they will be medium sized anyways.

It migt be an effort in adapting the mii costumes, meaning some busywork, but i think that the effort would pay up making teh costumes more desirables therefore more profitable.
I give it a 3/6. Which is actually quite good. Most people's lists get a 0/6.
Heh, i do wonder which ones were the "hits". considering your post, i doubt Doomslayer is one.

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
So I skipped like 30 pages because I couldn't be bothered, but has the topic of future deluxe Mii costumes been discussed? I assume we're getting at least 3 or 4 more.
My guesses for some future ones are:
-Geno
-Knight from Hollow Knight
-Shovel Knight
All of these are great. I would also add Madeline from Celeste as well, so many good songs could be chosen for her. And if we can't get Shantae as a character then a Mii costume with a song will be just fine to me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I will say, I feel they're going to have to reveal the first FP2 character as soon as possible, otherwise there's no incentive to buy the pass. That's the whole reason they revealed Joker so early.
I don't see why they have to announce it sooner rather than later considering a lot of people aren't going to buy it until they see a character, whether it be tomorrow or months down the line at E3.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I imagine we may get a Wave 2 character shortly afterr Byleth is out and possibly some time in February. May not be it but I can see it then. Just once we get used to Byleth they'll tease or show the next fighter.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

What would your reaction be if the above were the characters (and Mii Fighter costumes) we were getting?
I’d be happy with Ryu Hayabusa, not because I know him all that well, but because I think he’d come with an awesome moveset and stage, and I know that people definitely want him. I don’t care for any of the Mii outfits.
Phoenix Wright I’d be crazy excited for. I love the Ace Attorney series and I know he would have an amazingly cool and unique moveset. My only problem would be his stage. I’m not sure if it would be like Byleth’s, cycling through different areas, since you have to go back and forth between places in the game. Maybe it could be like Joker’s and Byleth’s combined, where a certain music track set the stage to a certain case, so it would go to different areas that are exclusive to certain cases, like Gourd Lake or Berry Big Circus. Just an idea, though. I’d be happy to get all the Ace Attorney Mii outfits, but none of the other ones.
Heihachi I have no idea about. I’d be excited for people who wanted him, but I wouldn’t care too much. Don’t care for any Mii outfits except for Chun-Li.
Lloyd I also don’t know much about. But he seems interesting and I’d have no complaints if he made it in. If I liked how he played that much, I might even have gone to play the Tales of games. I’d be happy for the Chosen Undead Mii outfit, but that’s it.
Rex and Pyra would be my ‘eh’. I don’t care for another tag team character, but it could be interesting. If they had a really cool mechanic, I’d consider playing them every now and then. I’d get the Mei and Quote Mii outfits, but that’s it.
With Sol, once again, never heard of them. But they do seem cool and I’d be willing to play as them every now and then. I’d get the Shovel Knight outfit as soon as it came out, but none of the other ones.
That’s all.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
With everyone posting potential Fighters Passes right now, I decided to go back to the predictions I posted on Friday and make a change (since I was admittedly grasping for reasons for one of the characters)...

The last version of this had Susie from Deltarune, with the reasoning being that she would be a promotional pick for a game that wasn't out yet by the time Fighters Pass 2 was finalized (similar to Byleth being picked for the first Fighters Pass before Fire Emblem: Three Houses was released). Since it was made clear that I was reaching, I'm changing my Fighters Pass 2 prediction a bit and instead going with a more "reasonable" pick - Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, serving as promotion for the currently upcoming Guilty Gear -STRIVE-, and who would also fit the recent speculation I've seen of Fighters Pass 2 having a lower budget and thus going for "lesser known" third party characters. I also think Sol and Fighter Pass 2 in general will follow the pattern of the "last" DLC character being divisive and controversial, in this case Sol (assuming the entire above image is accurate and we also get Ryu Hayabusa and Heihachi) leading to claims that Smash has "too many fighting game characters".

Honestly?

Not the worst suggested pass I've seen.

I give it a solid B.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Its got Phoenix so its a solid Pass.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Edit:added more rosters

I'm very open to more fighting game reps, considering this is a very interesting crossover opportunity for fighting game enthusiast. Sol versus Terry anyone?

Still not super into some of this characters (nothing wrong liking and wanting them though) but for me Sol would be teh saving grace of this pass.. considering he could easily be my 7th most wanted. barely missing my pass. Heihachi and phoenix wopuld come with sick music at least and Rex and Ryu likely would come with cool looking stages, so there is that :D.

May as well share my wants. There are a lot of other characters I'd love to see but heres what I narrowed it down to.
Honorable mentions include-
Master Chief
Kiryu
Steve
Ryu
Crash
Katamari Prince
Dixie
Cranky
Maxwell
So pretty much any character whose in a game that I've played and enjoyed. Going to start NMH soon so maybe Travis will join that pile too. As for mii outfits, my predictions are going to be hollow knight and hat kid. Maybe quote too for a gunner.
I like this pass a lot, While not a lot of my super wants, this pass would be still very fun, proably getting some of my favorite western representation, and having 3 of teh only 4 shooter reps i'm interested in. (the other would be tracer).
not super fan of rayman, but for this pass i think taht it brings ton of variety.

AS ive said before Sol is a big yes for me SMT coontent would be very interesting, and let's face it,(almost) everyone loves doomslayer. Also love Nier automata :0
View attachment 258810
Tons of cutesy .. maxwell is the kind of character i know jack about, but i think it would be healthy for the roster, Frisk is also an honorary mention of mine, mostly for Full Fledged Undertale content (I guess Kris also works though) While not super into grovyle, and i would rather have scptile to fill that ridiculous (grass starter quota) Grovyle has the extra value of being a character in teh mystery games... I have little love for the dee and no love for kamek sadly. And i rather get Zero over X. still, it would have some excitment :0

Last edited:

Bee Card

Smash Ace
Now I got a FP2 game. Make your ultimate middle finger fighters pass, or the one that's made to 100% piss people off. The only rules I have are no 4th parties and no more than 1 character per series, so no 6 Fire Emblem reps. Mine is:
1. Alm as another Roy semi clone
2. Cinderace(Love the pokemon but please no for smash)
3. Pink Gold Peach as a unique fighter
4. Tingle
5. Brash the Bear(One of the most rejected characters in Rate Their Chances history)
6. Steve, so the final character can end with flame wars
1. A character from the new DLC of FE Three Houses or any FE Three Houses character (except Edelgard of course, why putting the most popular character when you can put a random blue-haired swordman :chuckle: )
2. A character from Tokyo Mirrage Session FE (I can, that's not really a FE game no ? ^o^)
3. Jeanne from Bayonetta with a cheated moveset like the good old days in smash 4 :awesome: (for real I wanted her as an echo fighter)
4. A new type of Mii fighter :troll:
5. Mallow from Super Mario RPG :troll::troll::troll:
6. Dr. Luigi :luigi:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Who do you think will be the first character revealed for Fighters Pass 2, and when do you see them being revealed.

I see Dante being first to set the tone of the pass and get buyers, and he'd be revealed at E3 at the earliest. I could also see Lloyd being revealed alongside him as a concession to the core fanbase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
View attachment 258810
Anything with X is an A+ to me. Bonus points for Grovyle and Bandana Dee. It's nice to see some faces that haven't been discussed to death.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom