• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gotta be honest. I'm getting the feeling, "BLARGH fan rules!" has become this thing where it's applied to things people don't like that literally aren't even being passed off as rules.

Most of the time, I'm finding things I'm saying about Spirits, or past precedence being labeled as "Fan rules" when it's...literally speculation. Are we here to talk about which characters have chances because of certain things? Or are we just going to act as though every fictional video game character has "equal chances" and not try to narrow anything down?

Where I come from, in order to make a strong claim you have to back it up with something. I'm fine with people saying what they think, but I don't find some of this stuff likely unless people can back it up, or bring something to support it.

When I say that I feel as though all DLC picks will be main protagonist regardless of series of origin (because every newcomer DLC in Smash history has been), or that I don't believe upgrades will happen (because it hasn't happened yet in Ultimate, and not a single Challenger Pack has reproduced content), it's an observation of something, and I'm putting thoughts together because of evidence, or evidence based on precedent.

You can believe what you want. But please, let's not pass everything off as a fan rule. Let's actually talk about potential outcomes. I'm trying to post things that I'm honestly thinking about, so to see folks shut it down as, "Nuh uh, you're a lame ass with your 'restricting fan rules'" it gets frustrating.
I suspect people interpreting something as an ostensible fan rule may be a side-effect of arguing in absolutes.

What might help is accounting for the possibility the unlikely situation occurs, even if remote. Then no one can say you're propagating some "rule".

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
every single DLC character so far has not had overlapping content with Base game let alone being Spirits themselves.
Well yeah, because FP1 was decided alongside the base game. This wasn't. And Jones isn't 100% right when we solely got RE as a spirit event.

Shroob

Sup?
You're not OP, but as far as your post: it might convince people not to buy it. That would be accomplishing something. Besides, does every post here have to "accomplish" something?
If you're arguing/having a debate with someone, then yes, your post needs to accomplish something.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
With the next Fighters Pass, I wonder what the 1st party/3rd party ratio will be.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't understand the point of this post. You already said that they did it last pass, and I already said that's scummy.
Because you didn't address Ultimate in your post and you're posting on an Ultimate forum in a thread dedicated to the season pass you're currently criticizing. And your initial post I replied to implied that you'd forgotten that the first pass did the same. Seemed like you were ignoring that.

In general, people shouldn't buy a pass when they don't even know what they're getting from it. But making it available for early purchasers who will buy it regardless is like the least of modern gaming publishers' sins. I'd personally save "scummy" for things like bad working conditions, contracting employees to avoid unionization or progressive benefits, "crunch" culture, preying on addictive people with lottery style microtransactions, withholding on-disc content for additional DLC sales, timed exclusive content meant to incentivize pay-to-win economics... But to each his own.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My opinion of FE has no effect on my disliking Byleth's inclusion.

Dishonored 2 is probably my favorite video game ever. If Dishonored had 8 characters in Smash, I'd be pissed about that too.
I uh

??????????? That's not really ?????? That has nothing to do with my post ??????? Thanks for quoting me I guess?

Good idea tho Emily Kaldwin for smash

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are there any characters that you guys consider to be frontrunners for pass 2?
I have none because we don't know enough about their thought process at this current point in time.

But if I had to guess probably Dante, Arle, Phoenix Wright, 2B among others.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
A Capcom rep and a Gen 8 Pokemon rep were the first two I thought of. And man, if you hated the discourse around Byleth just wait until the people who thought they were in the clear from another one find out they were wrong. I mean, the discourse around everything sucks and the only reason I'm a part of it is because I hate myself a considerable amount, but it's gonna be bad.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Either one is likely, but after Smash 4 had Robin and Lucina but not Chrom, Susie getting into Smash without Kris wouldn't surprise me.

Sakurai admitted to picking Byleth based on his experience with an early version of Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happens again with another game, in this case Deltarune.
The "protagonist" role of FE Awakening is arguably shared between Robin, Chrom and Lucina. It's not comparable to a character like Susie getting in before Kris.

The "main character first" rule has yet to be broken and I can't imagine it will be. Three Houses was the perfect opportunity to do it and they still didn't.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Good idea tho Emily Kaldwin for smash
Over Corvo?! You're crazy!

Lets be honest here, the ONLY reason Fire Emblem has 8 characters is because of 'Everyone Is Here', were that not the case, its almost a certainty that Lucina & Roy would have been cut and Chrom wouldn't have been made as an Echo Fighter
But they ARE here, so we didn't need more. Maybe if Roy, Lucina and Chrom had just been alt costumes for Marth, it wouldn't have been as much of a problem.

I will grant you that Byleth is probably the best representative of FE yet, due to their weapon variety.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I think we can expect a Capcom character and a Bandai Namco character. The former only got an Echo Fighter in the base game and nothing for the first Fighters Pass. The latter hasn't had a new character since Pac-Man was included in Smash 4's base game. Now may be the time we finally see additional characters from both.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I don't really want to commit to anyone specific since the pass has consistently surprised (as in the choices themselves and not knowing who was coming thanks to leaks), so I'm hesitant to give anyone above a 50% chance.

That said, Dante feels the closest to a "when, not if" character to me out of every third party at this point. Yeah there's a bunch of external stuff that points to him, but I'm not even thinking about that. He just feels like the one character that fits Smash the most that isn't represented yet (Japanese 3rd party, Sakurai friends with the creator, fighting style more adaptable to Smash than most games) that isn't an IP nightmare like Sora. Would I be shocked if he didn't make it? Nah, but I think he makes more sense than virtually everyone I can think of.

I really don't want to believe another Pokemon is coming, but a gen 8 one is certainly a potential frontrunner. The "spirit board deconfirms" rule has yet to be broken, so I don't know if I would really consider it a frontrunner, but that's also a rule fans made up, so who knows.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Travis Touchdown, now that he had actually striked back.

Otherwise, it could be literally anyone. My personal opinionated picks would be Kazuma Kiryu, Waluigi, Doom Slayer/Master Chief, and Scorpion.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Travis Touchdown and Waluigi.

Also any Capcom rep. They have far too many options and the companies have a great working relationship.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Lloyd, Phoenix, Dante, or possibly Monster Hunter. Maaayybe Sora.
If we count assist trophies and spirits, then Isaac, Rex, Waluigi, Geno, Bandana Waddle Dee.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Sora would likely be the best character..the amount of hype would eclipse any of the characters in the first pass, in my opinion..I mean, just look at how many requests Sora has had since Brawl. He'd be the perfect Joker-type of character to lead the Pass.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly? No idea. Until we see who the first is, it's hard to say what kind of direction it'll go. Could be mostly Nintendo, or mostly third party this time around again. And even after the first, that hardly sets a pattern.

I think Rex might have a shot if only because of Sakurai seemed interested. Though if I had to choose, I would like a 2nd Mega Man be playable, though in the case of MMX and MM.EXE I don't know if DLC Mii Costumes bar a character from being playable. Cause there's plenty of base game characters who have Mii costumes. But Geo and Volnutt don't have said Mii costumes.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Dante, a Namco Rep, Hayabusa, Doomslayer, Geno, Travis Touchdown....actually nothing has changed really except I can knock Byleth of that list.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly? No idea. Until we see who the first is, it's hard to say what kind of direction it'll go. Could be mostly Nintendo, or mostly third party this time around again. And even after the first, that hardly sets a pattern.

I think Rex might have a shot if only because of Sakurai seemed interested. Though if I had to choose, I would like a 2nd Mega Man be playable, though in the case of MMX and MM.EXE I don't know if DLC Mii Costumes bar a character from being playable. Cause there's plenty of base game characters who have Mii costumes. But Geo and Volnutt don't have said Mii costumes.
What about Mega Man Zero's version of Zero? A lot of moveset potential, a popular character, will be very different from Mega Man..

Krankees

Smash Ace
What about Mega Man Zero's version of Zero? A lot of moveset potential, a popular character, will be very different from Mega Man..
Speaking of Mega Man Zero, I'm excited to try the Zero/ZX Legacy Collection. It looks really fun and it's a game that drift can't ruin for me since D-pad is usable.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That Zero hardly ever gets any recognition despite being pretty amazing overall. Still though, I prefer MMX Zero. Zero is one of the characters, along with Raiden, Geese/Nakoruru, Alucard, Chun-li, Balder (if he takes front center again in Bayonetta 3), and Tails, that I’m sort of kinda half maybe expecting to be playable in Smash 6.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I do wonder how Base/Season 1 Spirits will effect the choices of characters now. I would think that they most likely do. But I don't think it'll be a 100% chance of being dropped either.

I still doubt an AT getting upgraded a lot though. Their roles require more work and have more of an effect in gameplay than Spirits typically do, due to being PNGs of characters. And Mii costumes, at least can co-exist with already playable characters, although that's only been the case for base game at the moment, like with Samus, Chrom, Isabelle, K.Rool, Link ect.

Sora would likely be the best character..the amount of hype would eclipse any of the characters in the first pass, in my opinion..I mean, just look at how many requests Sora has had since Brawl. He'd be the perfect Joker-type of character to lead the Pass.
If they can work a deal with Disney, then yeah, I can see so many people be happy. Sora's not a character I want, but I won't deny he's popular. In that point of view, he's Square's absolute best choice. Though I'd pick Lara Croft for her legacy to gaming as a whole.

Certainly a loophole they could work with the MMX Zero being an AT. Though just like Geo and Volnutt, their chances would depend on whether or not a Spirit can be upgraded. But hey, if an FS cameo like Chrom can be playable, who's to say another Mega Man or Zero/Protoman can't work either.

Granted, I'm obviously more of a Mega Man X guy. I'd be ecstatic if he pulled a Chrom.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do wonder how Base/Season 1 Spirits will effect the choices of characters now. I would think that they most likely do. But I don't think it'll be a 100% chance of being dropped either.

I still doubt an AT getting upgraded a lot though. Their roles require more work and have more of an effect in gameplay than Spirits typically do, due to being PNGs of characters. And Mii costumes, at least can co-exist with already playable characters, although that's only been the case for base game at the moment, like with Samus, Chrom, Isabelle, K.Rool, Link ect.
It's just unfortunate that we've ended up getting so many DLC characters, most of which are and presumably will continue to be third-parties, and a character like Bomberman who otherwise would be killing it in terms of popularity and expectation has seemingly been taken out of the race before the additional pass(es) were likely on the table.

It's been a shame for characters like Waluigi and Isaac and Geno too, but I do think of all the characters with existing roles, Bomberman would, at this point, be the likeliest to show up as DLC were they not already in the game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's just unfortunate that we've ended up getting so many DLC characters, most of which are and presumably will continue to be third-parties, and a character like Bomberman who otherwise would be killing it in terms of popularity and expectation has seemingly been taken out of the race before the additional pass(es) were likely on the table.

It's been a shame for characters like Waluigi and Isaac and Geno too, but I do think of all the characters with existing roles, Bomberman would, at this point, be the likeliest to show up as DLC were they not already in the game.
Yeah, out of the ATs, Bomberman, being from a totally unique franchise, is probably the hardest L we had to take. Despite most discussion being around Waluigi or even our dude Isaac.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The only one I consider a true frontrunner is Heihachi considering his circumstances. Other than him I guess I might say Waluigi, I believe that if a promotion happens then Waluigi is one of the most likely characters to receive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom