• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
******* finally!

Now will ya people stop asking for Goku? Why that was even a thing to begin with I'll never get just because lolpopularity.

As they say folks.

Video. Game. Characters. Only.

Smash is about celebrating gaming after all.
We've gone through this for years, if not a decade already. No amount of comments will stop those requests from existing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll say it again. If Goku gets in then may as well get Shrek, Spider-Man, Superman, Spongebob, Scooby-Doo and Batman in as well!

Because they're all popular too!

So why does Goku get to be an sole exception may I ask?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It should I think. The sales don't match other fighting game series, but SNK's been around for a long time and are still making new releases. And, in the grand scheme of things, is still popular, just perhaps not with the Nintendo audience.

Terry Bogard in particular would be a great addition to the series I feel.

View attachment 224423

The dude's got a memorable design too. Although I suppose Kyo's also a valid option.
Arcade scene is a thing. While not very popular sales wise in consoles, I remember seeing cabinets of SNK games all the time when growing up in Mexico :b

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
To be fair, you’re not the maker of fighting games.

From Wikipedia: “A fighting game is a video game genre in which the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent, which can be either an AI or controller by another player.”
Sakurai is the creator of this genre and the one against the idea of Smash being labeled a fighting game saying its much broader as it’s a four player battle royal action game. I believe he has also labeled it under party. Point is, the actual genre Smash is placed in is undetermined so far and its mechanics are so wildly different from a typical fighter that one can not compare them properly.

Yeah no. The lack of good characters was a major criticism of Mario Kart 8. The stages weren't rebooted either. And yes, the same formula for a game can work, as established be Smash, MK, Pokemon, and others. Messing with formulas is what ruined games like Paper Mario. 5 games is too soon for a reboot.
The point was, yes MK8 lacked content, but it was still seen as one of the best Mario Karts due to the track design being superb. Many of the courses functioned differently from any previous entry due to the anti gravity, and many returning courses were almost unrecognizable for many as the game built them so differently (Cheese Land). Of course people will complain if things from the previous entry are left out, but that doesn’t automatically kill a game.

Also when me and many say a change in formula, that doesn’t mean we completely scrap the mechanics of the series like Paper Mario did. Sometimes, just a new addition that no one thought of could change the game in a favorable way. Maybe they could even go back to some old concepts like Subspace or even unused ones like the armor break system Brawl was going to have. The franchise has many different routes it can take that I believe could make for an interesting new take on the formula.

Also 5 games isn’t too soon. It took 4 for MK to really start trying to add new things to shake up the formula with Double Dash, then followed up with DS having tons of new stuff, Wii adding motion controls and ramps, and MK 7 and 8 changing everything for the future. If anything, 5 seems like too many to not really have some change ups, just look at how New Super Mario Bros. or Kirby are doing.

Again, I believe Ultimate was a good move as it sort of concludes everything, but just building off it for entries to come will only cause stagnation in the series as we are pretty much just adding a few new characters each entry. Everything is perfected and everyone is here, so there won’t be much fun in following the series as you know what you’re getting.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
We already have Iron Man in the game thought.
IronManSmash.jpg

Or if that doesn't work, we still have :ultsamus:.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ok maybe Nemesis as a playable character is a bit off, but hear me out:
WHAT ABOUT HIM AS A BOSS?
we dont get dlc bosses tho

or maybe persona didnt count cause **** monsters

Potato_

Smash Lord
It should I think. The sales don't match other fighting game series, but SNK's been around for a long time and are still making new releases. And, in the grand scheme of things, is still popular, just perhaps not with the Nintendo audience.

Terry Bogard in particular would be a great addition to the series I feel.

View attachment 224423

The dude's got a memorable design too. Although I suppose Kyo's also a valid option.
Honestly if we got an SNK character Terry is the one I'd expect. The Nakoruru rumor is weird to me because while she is a mascot to an extent, she's not even the most popular female character in the series, that title obviously goes to Mai. It feels weird to me that they'd go for Nakoruru if they wanted female representation on the fighter's pass. The one thing going against Mai is the obvious sex appeal, but hey we've got Bayo in this game so clearly they're okay with censoring certain aspects if needed.

I'd be fine with that SNK rumor being true though, if it means we actually get RE in smash.

but leon and jill are like

the resident evil characters

not even big albert, just nemesis?
I can't believe I never thought about Wesker.

Nemesis isn't a bad choice, but it'd be such a weird way to introduce the series. Leon and Jill are both more popular and actually have some personality.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm just imagining it if the rumor is true.

Velvet vs Ganondorf, battle of Calamities.

Dan

Smash Lord
It's sad they won't be doing another ballot... K. Rool and Ridley (and I guess Simon to a degree) were the obvious ones, but I now I see a really tight race between Geno, Sora, Banjo and many others, none of which will probably make it in the first DLC wave or Ultimate period.

imo, Smash's roster should nothing but the ballot, then no one could complain; this is a game by the fans, for the fans. I guess let Sakurai have his one pet project character like the plant as well to keep him sane.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
In b4 "But Sakurai lied before with things like "Ridley is too big! Hurr!".
But he kinda did...

I'll say it again. If Goku gets in then may as well get Shrek, Spider-Man, Superman, Spongebob, Scooby-Doo and Batman in as well!

Because they're all popular too!

So why does Goku get to be an sole exception may I ask?
Because people actually want him. Shrek was a meme like 5 years ago and no one ever seriously requested any of those other characters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But he kinda did...
And here's the difference.

Ridley's an video game character.

Goku is not.

Smash is about celebrating gaming which Goku doesn't originate from.

Which is why he doesn't belong. Why he gets to or should be an exception I don't know and what just because lolpopularity?

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord

Goku is not.

Smash is about celebrating gaming which Goku doesn't originate from.

Deal with it.
That's true, but don't tell me to deal with it; I don't give a **** about Goku lol.

I mean, the Smash I grew up with had the tagline "Nintendo's All-Stars duke it out", so if Nintendo sees $ in something, they'll steamroll daddy Sakurai's opinions. He'll have to step down one day; I think he's a mortal as well, but he also seems like the type of guy they'll freeze in carbon so he can see what Smash 10 looks like.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Goku is not.
So what, you're a Goku crusader?

Smash is about celebrating gaming
pfft

it was mostly just sakurai wanting to make a fighting game and then he said "Wait let's make nintendo characters beat the **** out of each other" in the 90s.

now it's just a nintendo cash cow that sakurai gets asked to direct every few bunch of years

"celebrating gaming history" is just the tagline people say to make arguments against newer characters cause they're too new and how banjo kazooie is obviously a piece of history compared to some guy who got made 2 months ago

Which is why he doesn't belong. Why he gets to or should be an exception I don't know and what just because lolpopularity?
if you want objective sales: the anime character, here you go

1558830462286.png

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For now, let's drop the non-game 3rd party discussion. More information will come on what to do about the information we've gotten(as in, what kind of discussions are allowed, etc.). Everything has gotten way too heated.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So I've been thinking for a while after the recent info that DLC got decided by the NoJ higher-ups without Sakurai's consent, and how advertisement does play a role when choosing a newcomer, and I think this tidbit of information might have made Banjo's chances less likely in my book. If we do get a Microsoft rep, I doubt the higher ups of Nintendo of Japan would choose a character who's presence in the gaming sphere has been non-existent for the past ten years. Obviously I'm not pretending that I know what the higher-ups think or want, but Rare themselves have said they're not planning on bringing Banjo back. So if Banjo has no plans of coming back, why would the higher-ups of NoJ choose a character who's presence in the spotlight has ceased?

Now of course there is the possibility that Microsoft is going to bring him back with the help of another studio that isn't Rare, but there is nothing to hint at such a thing and right now I'm working with what's currently available. Reggie has confirmed that there are no plans for a N64 mini so that's not gonna help Banjo. The more I read and think about the likelihood of Banjo the more he doesn't seem likely at all.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
If we get an SNK character I'm pretty confident that it'd be Kyo since he's the protag of what's pretty much their only big franchise plus he'd bring all the other popular SNK characters along with him as spirits even if he isn't the most popular choice. Franchises like Fatal Fury or Samurai Showdown by themselves just don't have that much notoriety even compared to B-tier stuff like Star Fox, Castlevania, Metroid, or Persona.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So I've been thinking for a while after the recent info that DLC got decided by the NoJ higher-ups without Sakurai's consent, and how advertisement does play a role when choosing a newcomer, and I think this tidbit of information might have made Banjo's chances less likely in my book. If we do get a Microsoft rep, I doubt the higher ups of Nintendo of Japan would choose a character who's presence in the gaming sphere has been non-existent for the past ten years. Obviously I'm not pretending that I know what the higher-ups think or want, but Rare themselves have said they're not planning on bringing Banjo back. So if Banjo has no plans of coming back, why would the higher-ups of NoJ choose a character who's presence in the spotlight has ceased?

Now of course there is the possibility that Microsoft is going to bring him back with the help of another studio that isn't Rare, but there is nothing to hint at such a thing and right now I'm working with what's currently available. Reggie has confirmed that there are no plans for a N64 mini so that's not gonna help Banjo. The more I read and think about the likelihood of Banjo the more he doesn't seem likely at all.
so basically you're saying steve gang

If we get an SNK character I'm pretty confident that it'd be Kyo since he's the protag of what's pretty much their only big franchise plus he'd bring all the other popular SNK characters along with him as spirits even if he isn't the most popular choice. Franchises like Fatal Fury or Samurai Showdown by themselves just don't have that much notoriety even compared to B-tier stuff like Star Fox, Castlevania, Metroid, or Persona.
if i want an SNK character i want either haohmaru or goose

or maybe galford for the dog

1558832964382.png

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
so basically you're saying steve gang
Honestly, yeah. Minecraft's presence in gaming has been tremendous and it's a worldwide phenomenon. If NoJ is going to pick characters that reach new audiences then wouldn't Minecraft be a viable and prime target?
Over 90 million people play this game monthly to this day, that is not a number to sneeze at.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Honestly, yeah. Minecraft's presence in gaming has been tremendous and it's a worldwide phenomenon. If NoJ is going to pick characters that reach new audiences then wouldn't Minecraft be a viable and prime target?
Over 90 million people play this game monthly to this day, that is not a number to sneeze at.
i'd still go fulgore or chief over banjo/steve

those are just so much more fun concepts for me and they're badass

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Chief is the only other Microsoft candidate that I consider to have a chance of beating Steve, but Frank's statements has killed it.
Do people forget that was deconfirmed? I don't remember the source but I recall someone here telling me about it.

It means Master Chief isn't out of the woods yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom