• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Would Dante be my first choice as a Capcom rep? Nah. I'm not a fan of the DMC series but I am totally open to his inclusion if this is the case.

Just as long as he's fun, that's all that matters to me.
Trust me as DMC fan, out of all the possible Capcom rep's, Dante has the most petitional for the fun factor out of all of Capcom's, since DMC is famous for its stylish combat that encourages you to kill enemies in the coolest most stylish ways possible.

D

Deleted member

If Dante comes and he's broken then that's Sakurai and the development team's fault, not Dante.
Then screw the development team for still keeping that old mindset that they can't balance the game for ****.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I'm just scared of him because his moveset potential might break the game. Welcome back to Smash 4, suckas!
I'm not scared of that since know for a fact this is far from the end of the post launch support, there will still be plenty of balance changes after FP5 comes out.

Bayonetta being broken in Smash 4 and not getting patched was most likely the result of either Nintendo not funding the Smash 4 team anymore and wanting them to move on to Ultimate instead.

D

Deleted member

I'm not scared of that since know for a fact this is far from the end of the post launch support, there will still be plenty of balance changes after FP5 comes out.

Bayonetta being broken in Smash 4 and not getting patched was most likely the result of either Nintendo not funding the Smash 4 team anymore and wanting them to move on to Ultimate instead.
What matters to me is community reception.

Almost everyone hated Smash 4 Bayonetta for being broken yet assuming if Dante is broken and nobody is saying anything bad about it I'mma ask some REAL questions.

Oh **** me, it's Lesley VS Smashboards, again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Then screw the development team for still keeping that old mindset that they can't balance the game for ****.
Why are you talking as if Dante is already here and he destroyed the meta game? The development team has done their best to keep the game balanced compared to previous Smash titles, why would they suddenly trip and fall when it comes to Dante?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
What matters to me is community reception.

Almost everyone hated Smash 4 Bayonetta for being broken yet assuming if Dante is broken and nobody is saying anything bad about it I'mma ask some REAL questions.

Oh **** me, it's Lesley VS Smashboards, again.
If no one is saying anything bad about a character then it more then likely means that they have no problems fighting against that character, Bayonetta being so broken against almost every possible match up took a lot of the fun away.

D

Deleted member

Why are you talking as if Dante is already here and he destroyed the meta game? The development team has done their best to keep the game balanced compared to previous Smash titles, why would they suddenly trip and fall when it comes to Dante?
Advance ako mag-isip.

And I'm serious.

Better safe than sorry.

It's because Sakurai and his team are faithful when it comes to character portrayal, and that is why we had Smash 4 Bayo.

I'm saying this as a diehard competitive player. I don't wanna see a repeat of EVO 2018 Smash for God's sake.

D

Deleted member

No, it's not. Someone disagreeing with you and explaining why the disagree with you is not you vs smashboards, its you and someone else having a civil discussion.
I got called out TWICE for this.

It's only civil if both parties are being civil. I'm starting to lose it.

Krankees

Smash Ace
To be fair, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta do have some similar traits gameplay wise. But I don't believe that'll guarantee Dante being broken.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People really be acting like this is what Smash Ultimate meta is going to devolve into.
20200113_010117.jpg

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Advance ako mag-isip.

And I'm serious.

Better safe than sorry.

It's because Sakurai and his team are faithful when it comes to character portrayal, and that is why we had Smash 4 Bayo.

I'm saying this as a diehard competitive player. I don't wanna see a repeat of EVO 2018 Smash for God's sake.
I really doubt the team is going to mess up the balance of this game. We had Smash 4 Bayo because there were no more patches and they wanted to move on to Ultimate's development. If Dante arrives and he's stupid strong then they'll just nerf him in a future patch. Where exactly is the problem? The game is going to be worked on for some time now that there are more DLC characters.

D

Deleted member

Sigh...

I'm tired of talking for the moment. Let me be at peace, thank you. I'll just lose it when **** ACTUALLY gets leaked/revealed.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Trust me as DMC fan, out of all the possible Capcom rep's, Dante has the most petitional for the fun factor out of all of Capcom's, since DMC is famous for its stylish combat that encourages you to kill enemies in the coolest most stylish ways possible.
Capcom has a bish named Princess Devilotte de Deathsatan IX who does s*** in outer space with an evil wizard and a mad scientist, who flies around in an octopus mecha.

The moral of the story is that although Dante is also likable, any Capcom character would be fun as hell.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The things that made (and I want to stress the past tense here) Bayo broken aren't present in Dante.

Dante doesn't have:
  • A divekick (normally) that bounces enemies up for more comboes
  • A multi hitting aerial rising move
  • A dodge that slows down time when time correctly
  • A dodge that puts him out of danger when almost timed correctly
  • A rushing move that slides from across the ground and flips the opponent up for continued combos
  • An aerial rushing move that can be used to continue comboes
  • Moves that when their button is held down, last indefinitely
  • A portal that summons demons with giant hitboxes
  • Easily done comboes that actually mirror comboes built into the source game.
The comparisons made between Bayonetta and Dante seem to come from a place of ignorance and appear to be based on surface level analyses like "they come from the same genre of game" and "they both have guns" in which case, I have to ask why Bandanna Waddle Dee doesn't have the same level of scrutiny as Brawl Meta Knight.

In short:
IF Dante is the last DLC character (he might not be) and
IF he is broken (he might not be),
it will be for different unique properties than Bayonetta.
And if you want me to take you seriously as to why you think a hypothetical Dante would be broken, I would suggest talking about those properties than these surface level Bayonetta comparisons.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Bayo's kit being so air-combo heavy is ultimately what made her so busted in 4, since she could just drag you to whatever blast-zone she felt like. Combined with witch time and get-out-of-jail-free-within, yes, it was lethal.

Dante ain't about that. Even if his combo game is nuts, which it damn well SHOULD be if he makes it, a fair bit of his combos are more grounded, and is more about scooping you into the air and bringing you back down, and so on.

Before someone points it out, yes, Dante CAN air juggle very easily in his games, but that's more thanks to how freeform combat is than his toolkit itself.

AKA if Dante IS busted, it won't be for Bayo reasons.

AKA what Idon said since it's beautifully put.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
There's no way FP5 isn't shadow dropped after the direct
There's also no way we're just getting FP5 revealed there.
I'm expecting FP5 announced at the direct, then a Smash presentation follows with Sakurai, and the first post-pass fighter gets revealed there.
Feel free to disagree with me, I would 100% be content with just FP5 but given that character will probably be shadow dropped the day of the direct that means we would have to wait AGAIN for the next batch of DLC fighters and I just can't live with more speculation chaos lmao

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Either the character is taking eons to program correctly, has so many goddamn gimmicks, or that the reveal trailer is taking a while to perfect/complete, I see that expectations are pretty high up there.

And no matter who it is the salt mines will be in production

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Either the character is taking eons to program correctly, has so many goddamn gimmicks, or that the reveal trailer is taking a while to perfect/complete, I see that expectations are pretty high up there.

And no matter who it is the salt mines will be in production
Another possible explanation is that they've worked hard on the first post-pass fighter to reveal them alongside FP5.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the humans in Pokemon are fair game for a character slot, because I could see Sabrina using her psychic powers to reck some people, or Koga being an echo fighter of Sheik.
Youngster Joey of course. He has a lot going for him. Incredibly iconic character, he’s in the top percentage (which should be proof in and of itself), lack of a spirit and the potential to be unique

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Youngster Joey of course. He has a lot going for him. Incredibly iconic character, he’s in the top percentage (which should be proof in and of itself), lack of a spirit and the potential to be unique
Dude, no!

Endeavor Quick Attack would be the end of competitive Smash

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's no way FP5 isn't shadow dropped after the direct
There's also no way we're just getting FP5 revealed there.
I'm expecting FP5 announced at the direct, then a Smash presentation follows with Sakurai, and the first post-pass fighter gets revealed there.
Feel free to disagree with me, I would 100% be content with just FP5 but given that character will probably be shadow dropped the day of the direct that means we would have to wait AGAIN for the next batch of DLC fighters and I just can't live with more speculation chaos lmao
If we’re getting two reveals, I think both will be at the Direct, probably to open and close it. They'll want to reach as wide an audience as possible with the reveals, and Sakurai's presentations seem to mostly just be focused solely on the contents of the patch in question. Maybe we'll get a reveal at a fighter presentation at some point, but probably not as long as it airs right after a Direct.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Betting now that we're not getting a Direct until February, if we're that lucky. We've already seen the amiibo rule broken. Maybe they caught on about SKUs at Gamestop being a giveaway too.

D

Deleted member

I see a lot of predictions for Capcom characters and not enough love for Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Arthur would be fantastic imo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well it's 9pm in Japan now so it'l be at least 12 hours until we hear anything.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Instead of saying which characters you want, what locations do you want to see in Smash as a Stage? Or what Stage(s) would you want with the character(s) you want?
I made up an Okami stage long ago:

Stage: Kamiki Village, the first location in the game. A village at the base of a hill surrounded by water, with a stream passing through it. The stage will be flat, and on ground level with a bridge in the middle. Overtime, Orochi, the eight headed snake demon will appear, causing chaos for the villagers attacking with bites and elemental attacks, and causing the a huge wave to wash away the bridge and any players on it before he attacks the players the same way.

He'll continue attacking the players until the players attacks at least three different heads, on rare events in 8 player Smash you will have to attack all eight heads. After defeating Orochi, players will be transported to the River of the Heavens where you be able to fight on a flat Omega-esque stage for a while before your transported back to Kamiki Village. If you switch to Battlefield/Omega mode you can choose to have the background become Kamiki Village (seen from high up) or River of the Heavens.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Betting now that we're not getting a Direct until February, if we're that lucky. We've already seen the amiibo rule broken. Maybe they caught on about SKUs at Gamestop being a giveaway too.
I don't see why the Amiibo theory would be broken right now, FP5 can still release this week before the new amiibos come out...

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why the Amiibo theory would be broken right now, FP5 can still release this week before the new amiibos come out...
The notification for the amiibo update that came out last week doesn't expire until like February 2nd so it's safe to say that we aren't getting any new update this month.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Capcom has so many good reps, that they should make Nintendo vs. Capcom already. I can't think of a single Capcom character that would disappoint me.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
The direct starts, a small, youthful boy appears. He is rosy cheeked, bright-eyed, and fresh to the world. "Sorry for the delay, I took a month off to rest. My name is Masahiro Sakurai, and I'm the director of Smash Brothers. And you're all doomed."

And the rest of the presentation is just metal as hell.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have a game for you all. Instead of saying which characters you want, what locations do you want to see in Smash as a Stage? Or what Stage(s) would you want with the character(s) you want?
Mario: Bowser's Castle
Donkey Kong: Gang Plank Galleon, Slipslide Ride (To go with the Ice cave chant music)

Other than that, I'd just want the missing stages back.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The biggest reason Bayo was broken is because they shifted to Ultimate right after she released, with a slight nerf in a patch afterwards which is like cellotaping someone's arm back on. We'd need that exact scenario in order to have Dante be about half as busted as Bayo.

Anyway we should just have a Capcom dedicated Fighter Pass, everyone wins like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom