• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Trolling/flame bait
Haha, there goes a Nintendo Direct for this month. Watch that Fighters Pass 5 is actually a Pokemon Sword & Shield rep. You waited all this time and they end the Fighters Pass on a marketing character for the most controversial Pokemon game that has only been out for a few months.

I couldn't bring myself to really care about Ultimate's future so I'm hoping that happens.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I thought that was Earthbound. "Hey you! You want to buy this game? It STINKS!" The marketing team later broke down crying after seeing their brave stunt got them 9 sales total
Well Nintendo's marketing back in the day was really bad so it's not surprising. Any franchise that wasn't the big Mario/Zelda/PKMN type usually fell victim to this.

And in this case, it's NoA's marketing team that were the heels lol.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
FP5 will be revealed in the direct though! It'll be Toxtricity, with Dynamax Baboom as the homestage. The stage hazard is that Baboom can just remove a player from the game entirely at will as they cannot hope to win in the precense of Baboom
If I absolutely had to pick a new Pokemon, Toxtricity is the clear winner.

Oh boy, time for more Pokemon, and another year of having the Grass-types get shunted because Fire-bois
Yeah, but the Grass line in Sword/Shield is the undeniable worst starter line this time around. Rillaboom is no Decidueye by any stretch of the imagination.

And so the Smash fan base's suffering continues lol. Though this has traditionally been a pretty good thing for a Nintendo Direct coming shortly as well as Pokemon titles always get their own stuff around the same time as a general Direct, just separately.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

What is going on
A direct to go over pokemon home integration, show upcoming gmax events, maybe touch on pokemon sleep, maybe something else in pokemon go, and possibly an event pokemon in gen 8.

Very unlikely to have anything to do with FP5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Haha, there goes a Nintendo Direct for this month. Watch that Fighters Pass 5 is actually a Pokemon Sword & Shield rep. You waited all this time and they end the Fighters Pass on a marketing character for the most controversial Pokemon game that has only been out for a few months.

I couldn't bring myself to really care about Ultimate's future so I'm hoping that happens.
If you don't care about Ultimate's future then why complain in like, 90 percent of your posts?

SKX31

Smash Master
I wouldn't be surprised if they announce D/P remakes to come out sometime late this year, after all Game Freak love their yearly releases, and by announcing it this early they'll wash away most of the remaining critics of Sw/Sh by tickling their nostalgia bone. At the very least I'm confident in saying it won't be National Dex DLC, and a mobile game can't take up the entire thing (even if it's just 20 minutes long), so I don't really see what else it can be.
I could see Pokemon GO getting the Kalos Pokemon as well as them unveiling the rumoured Tencent Pokemon mobile game (likely a Pokemon MOBA). As much as those two might result in groans from most here those two could take up a solid 5 of those 20 minutes at least.

I have a lot of thoughts re the Zelda discussion, but on mobile currently. I'll add my thoughts about that when I get home.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ugh...

I'm really hoping there isn't a Smash reveal tomorrow.

I mean if after all this time we waited for Fighter 5 and it turns out to be a PKMN character, then that's going to be the most deflating outcome possible.

But thankfully, that's a bit unlikely to happen. Given there's never been Smash in PKMN Directs and the Sw/Sh spirits a couple of months ago.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Watch all these decade long debates over a Zelda rep just culminate in Sakurai pulling a 4D Chess play and putting in Lana or Linkle from HW instead.
I personally wouldn't mind Lana tbh. She is a cool character and i would love to see her in future games (as unlikely as this is...)

What is going on
Calling it now: Fighter 5 is gonna be shadow-dropped out of nowhere tonight. :4pacman:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman

Wow, I thought I was a contrarian.

This game literally has every character from the past Smash games, and is the biggest and most fanservice-y of them all and you just... got nothing? Like, I get not liking the Fighter's Pass, but what else could you want from the game?

Yeah, but the Grass line in Sword/Shield is the undeniable worst starter line this time around. Rillaboom is no Decidueye by any stretch of the imagination.
Still better than Chesnaught though. God, that was just... a weird design overall. X and Y had some weird ass starters outside of Greninja

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
FP5 will probably shadowdrop in Feb. :p
Yeah i'm honestly thinking this as well. I mean there's a remote possibility for a Direct next week sure but if not, we're waiting until February to find out Fighter 5. And that idea doesn't sit well with me lol.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Who's excited for Baboom to be confirmed as fighter 5? Sabi was right!

I'm thinking general direct next week for real though.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Yeah, but this Pokemon generation has some of the best designs of any generation, so if there was one I had to pick to add a new Pokemon fighter, it would probably be this one.

I mean, I don't love the idea of more Pokemon, but this is like the best case scenario for one when they have such awesome designs across the board and we'd only be getting the good parts of Sword/Shield in Smash without the bad lol.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Long shot but I'm campaigning for Falinks. Look at em go!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh and quicktime on the topic of a new Zelda rep...

Linkle or bust.

Too bad Sakurai is too much of a coward to reference spinoff material. :bluejump:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
If you don't care about Ultimate's future then why complain in like, 90 percent of your posts?
Because I actually love the Smash Bros series. I grew up with since the N64 days. I loved the lead up to Ulimate, and I love playing it. Then final November Smash Direct happen and it literally killed any kind of interest I had for it's future when I knew who's never getting in and that the DLC wasn't going to be random Third Party characters that you would've never expect (like Joker & Terry). It's hard to muster up any kind of enthusiasm when around 25 characters you really love to see in Smash Bros is dead in the water and all you're left with third party choices which is the dumbest thing to ever invest in.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yeah i'm honestly thinking this as well. I mean there's a remote possibility for a Direct next week sure but if not, we're waiting until February to find out Fighter 5. And that idea doesn't sit well with me lol.
Yeah I have the feeling they will go "Okay here is character 5 and the good news is that they will release shortly after this presentation" :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh and quicktime on the topic of a new Zelda rep...

Linkle or bust.

Too bad Sakurai is too much of a coward to reference spinoff material. :bluejump:
Mario Spin offs are well represented but I think it's because Nintendo makes them in house

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well at the very least, confidence in a regular Direct next week seems to be there so maybe maybe maybe?

I just don't have the patience to wait until February. :(

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Wow, I thought I was a contrarian.

This game literally has every character from the past Smash games, and is the biggest and most fanservice-y of them all and you just... got nothing? Like, I get not liking the Fighter's Pass, but what else could you want from the game?

Still better than Chesnaught though. God, that was just... a weird design overall. X and Y had some weird ass starters outside of Greninja
Look, I love Smash Bros Ultimate, I just don't care what happens with the post game. I would be totally happy if the DLC ends with just the Fighters Pass. I'm ready for Ultimate to be fully done with development because I don't trust where Sakurai is going to go with future DLC and rather he just start on a new project like porting Kid Icarus Uprising to Switch.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Because I actually love the Smash Bros series. I grew up with since the N64 days. I loved the lead up to Ulimate, and I love playing it. Then final November Smash Direct happen and it literally killed any kind of interest I had for it's future when I knew who's never getting in and that the DLC wasn't going to be random Third Party characters that you would've never expect (like Joker & Terry). It's hard to muster up any kind of enthusiasm when around 25 characters you really love to see in Smash Bros is dead in the water and all you're left with third party choices which is the dumbest thing to ever invest in.
Look, I love Smash Bros Ultimate, I just don't care what happens with the post game. I would be totally happy if the DLC ends with just the Fighters Pass. I'm ready for Ultimate to be fully done with development because I don't trust where Sakurai is going to go with future DLC and rather he just start on a new project like porting Kid Icarus Uprising to Switch.
You have every right to feel how you feel, but this is such a pessimistic view of the game for just one Direct out of the several it had that absolutely dominated every other reveal. Like, even with the Assist Trophy deconfirms, we still have so much, and there's so much care here that the future is bright and I don't think we should be expecting a crash and burn because of a few missed opportunities.

And on top of that, full bias, but the DLC in this game far surpasses Smash 4's with hype, and is absolutely a good thing to invest in because otherwise... well...
:ultbanjokazooie: this wouldn't have happened

That being said, an Uprising Switch port would be a fantastic thing, even if Sakurai wasn't involved

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Okay, just wanted to check on Gwen's statement and, yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Direct

There's been a general Direct shortly after every Pokemon Direct with the exception of the one in February. I'm thinking next week we'll know.
Yeah come to think of it, PKMN Directs aren't that far off from regular ones. The pattern is usually TPCi wanting to be the ones to reveal whatever new PKMN game in their own Directs before or after a regular Direct.

This was the case in 2016 where we had a PKMN Direct the week before the regular one, in 2017 where there was one a week before E3 and again in 2018, and a few weeks after the regular Direct in 2019. So odds of a regular Direct next week aren't that bad the more I think about it.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
>People here are actually expecting a reveal
>In a Pokemon centered Direct
>Even after the Sword/Shield spirit event.

I swear, this community never learns.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman

I'll say it until I'm proven otherwise... the lack of spirits to me proves that Byleth is in.

And honestly, how funny would that be if the only Nintendo character added to Ultimate post-launch ended up being Byleth?

EDIT: Oh yeah... Piranha Plant is a character

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
"Third party choices are the dumbest thing to ever invest in"

When Smash 4 DLC literally helped convinced Nintendo to continue investing in DLC as some of their best selling stuff yet and the Fighter's Pass has literally been a major part of Nintendo's digital sales across the past year and third party newcomer reveals produce as much hype, if not more, than literal game announcements:

Nintendo's successful use of capitalism begs to differ.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Harada, Famitsu, "I worked hard for KOS-MOS' revival project but it's on hiatus for now".
So basically just reaffirming what he said on Twitter and what the fandom knew for a while. Big shame but it's nice to have a little more confirmation. Thanks!

pssst

come closer

we're joking

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
At this point, it's very likely considering the expected February 2020 release date and the pre-purchase already being available
The reveal might be in February itself, or it might be a Pokemon and be revealed in this upcoming Pokemon Direct. Although, they've never used Pokemon Directs to announce new Pokemon fighters for Smash before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom