• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Kirby could also use some more love. It'd be nice for Sakurai to acknowledge things past Air Ride exist. :drsad:

At least we got some music though. No remixes, but having CROWNED is cool. :dr^_^:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Tingle is really only hated in America. He's extremely popular over in Japan.
Even then, I feel like it's died down enough for TV Tropes to think about renaming "Americans Hate Tingle". I always thought it should say soccer instead.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So FP5 ends up being first party,

What franchise do you want to see get a character?
Xenoblade X, so we can finally get Elma as a character, and finally Duke it out with Shulk, Bayonetta, and Zero Suit Samus.

Honorable mention goes to Lyn from Fire Emblem, hopefully Wendee Lee can be her new VA.

Honorable mention also goes to Star Fox, so Krystal could finally get in. I find it ironic she got trapped in a well... crystal in her first game appearance, and now, she basically trapped in a trophy case in Smash...
CapitalFickleBluetickcoonhound-small.gif
If you could choose THREE things to see in an upcoming Direct besides Smash DLC what would they be?

- Halo for Switch
- Rare Replay (or BK/BT) for Switch
- Kart 8 DLC
Xenoblade X Switch release
Wind Waker HD for Switch
New Star Fox game that's not Starlink (no offense to Starlink)

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
Kirby could also use some more love. It'd be nice for Sakurai to acknowledge things past Air Ride exist. :drsad:

At least we got some music though. No remixes, but having CROWNED is cool. :dr^_^:
I wish they added the Return to Dreamland boss theme. That theme is so good and it had an even better remix in Super Kriby Clash.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
If you could choose THREE things to see in an upcoming Direct besides Smash DLC what would they be?

- Halo for Switch
- Rare Replay (or BK/BT) for Switch
- Kart 8 DLC
-Wario Land 6
-Open World Kirby game
-Gamecube coming to Switch

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
They've done a great deal with literally everything else Zelda related at least. Multiple stages, a rare boss fight, tons of Assist Trophies, items, and Spirits, and even numerous redesigns across each game in addition to bringing back Young Link. For the lack of any newcomers since Brawl, Zelda has still done incredibly well for itself.
And yet despite all that it's still been undeniably shafted in the category that matters most.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Whenever I see the comments saying, "Nobody cares about the additional content" I just want to kinda break it you...that's literally irrelevant to which characters are going to get picked.

Guess who does care about the additional content? Sakurai does.

Just because some folks don't care about the music, AT's, stages, etc, it doesn't mean Sakurai doesn't count it when he considers how much representation to give everything.

This is in no way saying that people can't support a Zelda character, or any character for that matter. Just that even though some folks just care about characters, that in no way impacts what gets added and when.
Oh, so because Sakurai likes it means we all have to care about the addition content.
Your enjoyment should not be formed based on what the creator thinks.

People, stop using Sakurai as a defense to tell people they're wrong for not caring for it. It's down right pathetic.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Oh, so because Sakurai likes it means we all have to care about the addition content.
Your enjoyment should not be formed based on what the creator thinks.

People, stop using Sakurai as a defense to tell people they're wrong for not caring for it. It's down right pathetic.
Yeah we need to just be honest with ourselves here. Nobody is going to give anywhere near as much of a **** about a new item or which jpegs made it into World of Light compared to a new character.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Tingle’s games are actually really charming. They’re basically puzzle/adventure games, sort of like how For The Frog The Bell Tolls was an adventure game in the guise of a Zelda game. Watch Vinesauce’s playthrough of them if you want to see what they’re like.
Tingle is the closest thing Zelda has to a breakout character too. Maybe he could be classified as his own franchise a la Wario? His symbol could be an upside down Triforce.

D

Deleted member

Me. Gimme more of that sweet extra Smash goodness anyday of the week even if it's just spirits.
Yeah seriously the extra stuff while not as impactful or important as characters is also really cool especially the music I'd pay for more DLC music that's not just apart of the DLC. Golden Sun and Xenoblade have so many good tracks that just go unused when they really shouldn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Yeah seriously the extra stuff while not as impactful or important as characters is also really cool especially the music I'd pay for more DLC music that's not just apart of the DLC. Golden Sun and Xenoblade have so many good tracks that just go unused when they really shouldn't.
Music is what I live for. 7 BK remixes and 50 SNK songs is just glorious.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Tingle’s games are actually really charming. They’re basically puzzle/adventure games, sort of like how For The Frog The Bell Tolls was an adventure game in the guise of a Zelda game. Watch Vinesauce’s playthrough of them if you want to see what they’re like.
Tingle is the closest thing Zelda has to a breakout character too. Maybe he could be classified as his own franchise a la Wario? His symbol could be an upside down Triforce.
Watching Vinny playthrough was a blast and I found a newfound tolerance for Tingle as a character.

MooMew64

Characters are neato but I enjoy Smash for the whole package.

Especially music. I'd happily pay a few dollars for some more Nintendo remix goodness, and depending on which franchises got said remixes, I'd be just as hyped if it were a new character.

Really wish more people could look past the CSS and realize there's an actual game with lots of different things to it to actually play there.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Especially music. I'd happily pay a few dollars for some more Nintendo remix goodness, and depending on which franchises got said remixes, I'd be just as hyped if it were a new character.

Really wish more people could look past the CSS and realize there's an actual game with lots of different things to it to actually play there.
Nah, the game ****ing sucks if I can't get Jonesy Fortnite.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Just because you play the game doesn't mean you can't hope for a character's representation to be expanded upon.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I feel like his symbol would be a rupee if anything.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Tingle is funny, but the poor guy hardly even exists anymore.

The last time he was in a mainline Zelda title was The Minish Cap, which was back in...2004. And his game series (which never even saw release in the US) hasn't had a new installment since like 2009. Since then, he's mostly just been relegated to cameos and spinoffs. Even then, Nintendo also seemed really relunctant to allow Tingle to be in Hyrule Warriors: the team wanted to put Tingle in the base roster, but Aonuma interveined and told them to pick another character.

It's obvious that Nintendo caught wind of how disliked Tingle is in the west (which is pretty much a kiss of death, considering that Zelda's always been most popular here), and in turn have mostly sidelined him outside of the occasional nod like the outfit in Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I see people arguing about who they want in.

Honestly I narrowly want more stages. I get it that we have 100 stages or so, but wish we had more new in the base game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's the twelfth anniversary of my account today. Back when it was created, this was the current state of things:

DojoThrowback.png

This was more recent to then

than this is to now

This would happen three years later

This would happen five years later
This would happen six years later
This would happen seven years later
ballot.png

This would happen ten years later

And we were closer to this

than we were to this

Wild. Imagine what you '18 and '19ers will deal with if you stick around as long. Assuming civilization doesn't collapse in on itself.

So in summation, it's just about time to send me to the glue factory. :skull:

Also to the person who said GS's gameplay was boring, you're boring. :p

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Literally who the **** said wanting a Zelda character is being selfish. Go on. Give me a screencap or a quoted post saying wanting a Zelda newcomer is selfish
I believe my exact words were "several people act like it's selfish to want one", which isn't an untrue statement at all.

Many people believe the number of Zelda stages and items in Smash make up for the lack of characters. That's fine. What's not fine is when you use the number of stages and items as a means to dismiss someone feeling like we should get another Zelda character.

D

Deleted member

I see people arguing about who they want in.

Honestly I narrowly want more stages. I get it that we have 100 stages or so, but wish we had more new in the base game.
Still an advocate that everyone is here should apply to stages and items. My soul will not leave this plain of existence until we get our fan item back.

D

Deleted member

It's the twelfth anniversary of my account today. Back when it was created, this was the current state of things:

View attachment 255996

This was more recent to then

than this is to now

This would happen three years later

This would happen five years later

This would happen six years later

This would happen seven years later
View attachment 256005

This would happen ten years later

And we were closer to this

than we were to this

Wild. Imagine what you '18 and '19ers will deal with if you stick around as long. Assuming civilization doesn't collapse in on itself.

Man. Did the Dojo even exist? It's been a decade since I looked at that character page.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

You do know that Smash Bros is all about playing as your favorite character in a crossover fighting? Playing the game in the main appeal of the game. You don't boot up Street Fighter 2 Switch and play that weird mini game where you're playing as Ryu in the first person mode and throw hadokens at mooks, you play Street Fighter to play Street Fighter. It's good to enjoy the side content, but that's all it is. The main content is what keeps people coming back, and that main content is playing as these characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm cool with not every stage returning, but it does sort of sting how Pac-Land got in over what it arguably the most iconic and recognizable stage in Smash history.

Also Rainbow Road is gone, which makes me sad.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah we need to just be honest with ourselves here. Nobody is going to give anywhere near as much of a **** about a new item or which jpegs made it into World of Light compared to a new character.
Sakurai seems to give much of a ****. He didn't give Spirits or ATs as much screentime - not even close - as newcomers and returning characters during the buildup to release, no. But both Spirits and ATs got their own sections in the November Direct '18. New Pokemon too. It's kind of clear that Sakurai wanted Spirits to be more than just PNGs / WoL fodder (otherwise they wouldn't be a multiplayer option nor would Spirits affect Amiibos*), but that didn't happen.

*As for proof to the latter claim:

Hey, congrats! I never made an account here myself till '19, but I was around during the Melee / Brawl days. Hoo boy the Dojo was something.

Still an advocate that everyone is here should apply to stages and items. My soul will not leave this plain of existence until we get our fan item back.
No, anything but the tickle torture! My shield wouldn't be able to handle it! Again!

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
I made my point earlier about how assist trophies really dont compare to playable characters earlier. It goes without saying it applies even more to items and spirits/trophies. Stages are in second place but I'd be reluctant if someone told me they were even half as important as characters.

It's also strange to downplay how much more important characters are than everything else in a character thread with tens of thousands of posts.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Just because you play the game doesn't mean you can't hope for a character's representation to be expanded upon.
Oh I agree, there isn't anything wrong with that. I just wish people appreciated other parts of the game as much as characters, as everyone who worked on the game worked extremely hard on what they made and things like good music, stages, items, spirit battles, etc or not exactly easy to make (nothing in game development is, lol).

I have a high amount of respect for good game design personally, so I like to appreciate each game I play for each individual thing that was worked on in it.

You do know that Smash Bros is all about playing as your favorite character in a crossover fighting? Playing the game in the main appeal of the game. You don't boot up Street Fighter 2 Switch and play that weird mini game where you're playing as Ryu in the first person mode and throw hadokens at mooks, you play Street Fighter to play Street Fighter. It's good to enjoy the side content, but that's all it is. The main content is what keeps people coming back, and that main content is playing as these characters.
It depends for me. If the side modes are really fun, I'll enjoy them just as much as the main modes. Those modes take effort and dev time too, so I like to always give 'em a shot and try to see if they're any fun. Good music is also an extremely big deal to me when it comes to games.

Again, I just appreciate any game I play for all it has to offer. That's just me, though. :dr^_^:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom