• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm actually fairly confident we're getting a dual reveal in February. Shadow drop for FP5, then have Sakurai go into detail on how post-pass is working and how much of it we're gonna get, with a teaser of who the first is.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm actually fairly confident we're getting a dual reveal in February. Shadow drop for FP5, then have Sakurai go into detail on how post-pass is working and how much of it we're gonna get, with a teaser of who the first is.
Then again, we've never gotten full teasers to hint characters, they just straight reveal them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's not really much to discuss right now is there?

A shame how stagnant speculation has become. There isn't anything concrete pointing towards a character and we have dubious leakers who haven't said anything about the identity of the next DLC fighter. On the bright side, at least we know they have to reveal who the fifth fighter is by February. So we're not getting six months of no reveals just like during the Release-E3 period.
Probably.

If I were to guess, we'll most likely be getting Fighter 5 in February or a same day reveal/release in the January Direct (Amiibo Theory seems to back this up).

And then maybe we get a reveal or two for the post-pass fighters. One for the Spring, and another dropping the day of E3.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Then again, we've never gotten full teasers to hint characters, they just straight reveal them.
True. There's the potential we could get another Hero and Banjo deal as well, especially since Nintendo goes fairly big with their beginning of the year Directs.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean if they tease that gives away the surprise. It's not like SF, Tekken, or KI where they tease a new, original character.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
People are so crazy about #5 they're usually not thinking how that after #5 the floodgates open again for literally anyone and everyone.

Waluigi and Travis have never looked so possible. Scorpion has always been where he is tho
I don't have much faith that any of the future content is going to be what I'm interested in seeing, but I've slightly higher hopes for FP5.
What comes after could be anything, sure, but there are fewer new doors opened by that which I'd want opened than those I'd prefer remain shut.

Until we actually get some information on the form that future content will take, I'm basically latching onto Fighter 5 as the last real shot at something good.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I mean if they tease that gives away the surprise. It's not like SF, Tekken, or KI where they tease a new, original character.
Yeah, Heroes of the Storm, which is essentially Blizzard's MOBA version of Smash, teases characters before they reveal them, and it's not particularly effective as more often than not it's pretty easy to tell who it is. Even if it's just something super vague you can usually figure out who it is just by the general theme of the tease and then by process of elimination.

Teases for these kind of games can also very easily lead to negative experiences because of how fans tend to see what they want to see. There was one tease for a Heroes of the Storm character that was just claw marks on a gate, which made people think it was for one of the most requested characters (Deathwing), but it turned out to be practically impossible to figure out as the claw marks were simply just from a veteran character that was featured in the trailer (Diablo), and the character that was revealed was someone without claws or anything (D.Va).

We all know that the Smash fanbase is already very good at jumping to premature conclusions based on stuff that literally means nothing, having actual teases would probably end up being disastrous. Like, remember how a lot of people tried to twist Brave into being whatever character they wanted, even though it was obviously Hero? Official teases would be that times ten, and I can live without having to deal with that.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I, for one, am under the assumption that Masahiro Sakurai is working on a 'f*** you money pass' and after fighter number five we're getting that lesser known, underrated s*** that tickles my fancy. The reason for the wait is because Sakurai is conditioning you mofos to beg for anything, and you will get your monkey paw wish.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So how many characters do you think were getting post pass? I'm thinking 3 at the minimum because of how the current character select screen lines up, there's 4 empty spots to make a perfect rectangle

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that we are getting 10 because that's how many empty WoL slots are left after the Fighter Pass characters.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
So how many characters do you think were getting post pass? I'm thinking 3 at the minimum because of how the current character select screen lines up, there's 4 empty spots to make a perfect rectangle
I think we are getting at least 5 characters and like 10 at the most.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Anyway, how about something we’ve hardly talked about? How about Maxwell from Scribblenauts as a character!
EACF2087-D7F3-4219-BCF4-4BD917828652.gif

Scribblenauts, also known as Flash Puzzle: Maxwell's Mysterious Notebook in Japan, first got it's start as an exclusive on the Nintendo DS in 2009. The series is owned by Warner Bros. Games and has sold over 13 million copies in its lifetime.

In Scribblenauts, you play as Maxwell, a young boy with a magical notebook that can summon anything, and I mean ANYTHING!* Not only that he can use his Notebook to modify things by placing an adjective upon them. The goal of Scribblenauts is help people with their problems out by summoning objects or modifying objects to solve. It's up to the player to decide how they want to solve problems. For example if a cat is stuck in a tree, you could summon a chainsaw to cut down the tree, or give yourself wings to fly up and rescue the cat, summon a firefighter to do the job for you, the possibilities for your solution is endless. *obviously no inappropriate stuff

Here's an example of Maxwell's problem solving from the tie comic for his crossover game with the DC universe.

Scribblenauts is all about finding wacky, creative, and imaginative ways to solving problems, and as a fighter in Smash Maxwell could reflect that. Sure anybody can use a sword or a gun, and Maxwell can certainly use them, but wheres the fun in that! Dropping an anvil on your head is something only a few characters could do and would convey the cartoony and childlike imagination of Maxwell. I have yet to complete my Maxwell move set, but will probably post it another time.

Plus Maxwell could have his sister Lily as an alt costume, she has the same abilities as Maxwell and could easily share animations

Night Gale

Smash Ace
So a friend of mine wants renowned actor Vin Diesel in Super Smash and I can't let them down gently because we all deserve to dream goddamnit, so I gave them false hope in the form of Chronicles of Riddick.

Sure it's a joke now but you may be witnessing the beginning stages of a new cult and I inadvertently created it.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
So a friend of mine wants renowned actor Vin Diesel in Super Smash and I can't let them down gently because we all deserve to dream goddamnit, so I gave them false hope in the form of Chronicles of Riddick.
You mean the 'Master of Teh Ken', Vin Diesel?
The hit character from the biggest reveal of the 2019 Game Awards?

Your friend has nothing to worry about.
Come 2020, Smash Bros will surely run on Diesel.

D

Deleted member

Vin Diesel is a totally cool gamer(tm), buy the New Fast and The Furious game coming in 2020!

Night Gale

Smash Ace

It was our Super Smash reveal all along!

Gale is forking up $2 dollars fast for the Michelle Rodriguez echo and $2 furiously for Ludacris.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I thought he was already confirmed?
ELpCetLXsAAHuCX.jpeg.jpg

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Btw for those of you wondering about Dwayne The Rock Johnson, he is not our Fast and Furious rep but he is the Doom Mariner you've been clamoring about.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Im calling a February Direct that reveals Halo MCC for Switch in the summer as well as Master Chief as Fighter #5

SKX31

Smash Master
Sorry guys I have to leave since this is a no-fun zone.
:foxmelee: only :fdb: No :pow:. If you're kind you might get to play as :bowsette: vs. :ultbowser:.

We accept no :substitute:s.

:4pacman: of course.

Honestly leaning towards 10 extra too, given the WoL slots. I won't count out the crazy possibility we might see 100 unique characters total (That might require an Ultimate DX Super Special edition though since that'd be an additional 15 characters on top of the 10 WoL slots Post-Pass).

So yeah, WoL getting filled out sounds most plausible IMHO. 3 is the minimum, I agree there.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I don't think we'll get a shadow drop of FP5, as Sakurai clearly likes the new format of showing off additions, and a shadow drop (which demands its own stream) precludes that.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I don't think we'll get a shadow drop of FP5, as Sakurai clearly likes the new format of showing off additions, and a shadow drop (which demands its own stream) precludes that.
Althooouuugh, we did get a Banjo presentation the day he was shadowdropped.

Its entirely possible that they could Shadowdrop right after the reveal.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Sure it's a joke now but you may be witnessing the beginning stages of a new cult and I inadvertently created it.
What a coincidence! Cortez in TimeSplitters Future Perfect is based off of Riddick and he's a video game character! You can't tell me they look nothing alike!

Cortez and Riddick.png

Yeah! Time to Split!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think that we are getting 10 because that's how many empty WoL slots are left after the Fighter Pass characters.
It's been noted that the game crashes if you try to add more past this point so, at most, there's 11 TBA characters but it's hard to say if Nintendo's crazy enough to do it. My own guess is 4 or 5 for a "Season 2" and then, if Nintendo takes the plunge, Season 3 announced next fall to wrap up by the third anniversary of the game.

D

Deleted member

Just a quick visit on my break so it seems thread is pretty much in a deadend but hey, it might not be a bad idea to take (keep in my case) a break from speculating.
I'm thinking based on Sakurai's comments of just little more that we are probably getting a few announcements on 2020 but have doubts about going forward. So maybe 3 or 4 at least?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Sakuari needs a vacation. The game is already perfect; I'd be happy with 5 left and I hope for his sake (as well as the rest of the team) it doesnt go beyond that. I understand wanting to milk it and get as much possible since demand is there (its not like they're doing this when nobody wants it), but they've got plenty of other franchises to either create anew or expand upon.

Like Mario Party....this is the first Mario Party I've ever owned....why can't it get DLC?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's been noted that the game crashes if you try to add more past this point so, at most, there's 11 TBA characters but it's hard to say if Nintendo's crazy enough to do it. My own guess is 4 or 5 for a "Season 2" and then, if Nintendo takes the plunge, Season 3 announced next fall to wrap up by the third anniversary of the game.
For that reason, they cannot add more than ten post pass fighters, unless they fix that crash.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Anyway, how about something we’ve hardly talked about? How about Maxwell from Scribblenauts as a character!
View attachment 253796
Scribblenauts, also known as Flash Puzzle: Maxwell's Mysterious Notebook in Japan, first got it's start as an exclusive on the Nintendo DS in 2009. The series is owned by Warner Bros. Games and has sold over 13 million copies in its lifetime.

In Scribblenauts, you play as Maxwell, a young boy with a magical notebook that can summon anything, and I mean ANYTHING!* Not only that he can use his Notebook to modify things by placing an adjective upon them. The goal of Scribblenauts is help people with their problems out by summoning objects or modifying objects to solve. It's up to the player to decide how they want to solve problems. For example if a cat is stuck in a tree, you could summon a chainsaw to cut down the tree, or give yourself wings to fly up and rescue the cat, summon a firefighter to do the job for you, the possibilities for your solution is endless. *obviously no inappropriate stuff

Here's an example of Maxwell's problem solving from the tie comic for his crossover game with the DC universe.

Scribblenauts is all about finding wacky, creative, and imaginative ways to solving problems, and as a fighter in Smash Maxwell could reflect that. Sure anybody can use a sword or a gun, and Maxwell can certainly use them, but wheres the fun in that! Dropping an anvil on your head is something only a few characters could do and would convey the cartoony and childlike imagination of Maxwell. I have yet to complete my Maxwell move set, but will probably post it another time.

Plus Maxwell could have his sister Lily as an alt costume, she has the same abilities as Maxwell and could easily share animations
As someone who religiously played the original 2 DS games every chance I got as a kid, I can safely say that Scribblenauts' lighthearted paper cut-out artstyle and tone would lend itself well to Smash, and that Maxwell would undoubtedly be the most unique third-party addition to the roster thus far. His moveset potential is essentially limitless due to the nature of his magic notebook, and there are so many different ways his fighting style could function mechanically.

For example, he could have a set amount of items he could summon with each of his specials and regular attacks, and the items could linger on the battlefield for just little bit after the initial attack. Each item he creates could interact with the other in a ton of different combinations while they're on the field, allowing for some truly nutty combos to take place. Another way he might work is that his capacity to summon objects could be similar to Hero's, in that he'll have to choose from a menu of randomly selected objects by pressing down-B. He could also choose specific adjectives to attach to each of his objects in the same manner. Heck, he could even be a mix of both the playstyles I listed, or something entirely different. That's the sheer beauty of having a character like this, there's just so many ways Sakurai and his team can make a great moveset for him!

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I've heard that Namco are the masters of compressing but, honestly, do we need more than 11? We're quickly reaching that point where almost all the long time favorites are in.
Once Isaac and Geno are in, maybe Shantae, then we're done with long time requests and anything else is gravy.

Until then, Smash still feels incomplete. More than we expected or deserved, partially for the fans, sure, but incomplete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom