• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Where and when was this picture taken?
The picture is misleading because the figure is being sold as a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 figure.

It's the equivalent of someone seeing Joker's amiibo at E3 alongside new Mario and Link amiibo and then saying, "Look! They consider Joker to be a Nintendo character!"

Looks like we finally have an answer on KOS-MOS' Xenoblade 2 design. Nintendo/Monolith may actually own it based on the copyright info. Interesting development.

I think that copyright is there for the figure being tied in with XC2, not KOS-MOS herself. The important thing is that Namco is still listed, so I doubt Nintendo/Monolift alone have the rights.

Thanks for the information. I was concerned with potentially absent sources from nowhere. So, why does Kosmos have this thing when the other characters have been more associated with Nintendo than her? I know I have smash predictions on her and she has some crossovers in Nintendo, but it’s so weird even with these things in mind. Maybe there are some Xenosaga ports coming to the switch as well, for familiarity.
Other XC2 characters have similar figures, such as Pyra and Mythra.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The picture is misleading because the figure is being sold as a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 figure.

It's the equivalent of someone seeing Joker's amiibo at E3 alongside new Mario and Link amiibo and then saying, "Look! They consider Joker to be a Nintendo character!"

I think that copyright is there for the figure being tied in with XC2, not KOS-MOS herself. The important thing is that Namco is still listed, so I doubt Nintendo/Monolift alone have the rights.

Other XC2 characters have similar figures, such as Pyra and Mythra.
So, you’re saying they had the Kosmos figure because they were busy appealing towards XB2 fans?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Looks like we finally have an answer on KOS-MOS' Xenoblade 2 design. Nintendo/Monolith may actually own it based on the copyright info. Interesting development.

Thanks for the information. I was concerned with potentially absent sources from nowhere. So, why does Kosmos have this thing when the other characters have been more associated with Nintendo than her? I know I have smash predictions on her and she has some crossovers in Nintendo, but it’s so weird even with these things in mind. Maybe there are some Xenosaga ports coming to the switch as well, for familiarity.
It's literally her XB2 design, that's it. They're not going to use a game-specific design and then not credit the owners of that game. It's not rocket science. Her previous figures always credited what game they originated from too.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, you’re saying they had the Kosmos figure because they were busy appealing towards XB2 fans?
The company itself is listing the figure as part of XC2, as seen here.

It's nothing noteworthy. None of this implies anything important about KOS-MOS that we need to know for Smash speculation. She's not first-party, and Namco still have the rights.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Well i was thinking about asking this question to the thread for a while now...

If your most wanted character would get in Smash, what kind of unique mechanic/gimmick could they have? How would it work?

Like, Joker has Arsene (Rebel guard itself is also a pretty unique move), Hero got the down-b menu (also the MP and the Crits.), Banjo got Wonderwing and Terry got the 'Go' thing at 100%+.
Well, since I actually make movesets, I have a response to that for all 3 of my Top 3 Most Wanteds haha

In first place we have Midna, who doesn't have a huge gimmick, but that does have a really unique down Special and Down Smash
She uses her Shadow Merging ability to become intalangible and fuse with the stage, becoming only visible by a shadow on the ground like Greninja's Side B, then after another press, or some times, she pop back on the stage and hit the opponents around her if there is any, a really good move to punish some aggressive behavior, but can be worked around and punished if you're not careful

The Smash Attack use a similar concept to shrink up her hitbox inside the stage while she attack, kinda an inverse K Rool/Inceneroar Down Smash, they have a hitbox that move upward while they do their moves, Midna have one that move Downward

Now for Second Place, Bandana Dee, and he's the most gimmicky out of the 3
Using one of his special, he can coat his spear with one of the 5 elements from Star Allies, Fire, Water, Ice, Thunder or Air
Each one of them add something to his spear based attacks when he launch them, and they all have different uses (if I was to describe it as a whole it would take the entire post haha, just ask me for the complete moveset if you're curious)
The coating can only last 15 second, and a special UI allow the player to see how much he used his elements, how they are regenerating

And finally, Gardevoir, she would have a special gimmick based on Pokken, what I like to call... The "Calm Mind" gimmick
By using Down Special, she gets into a "Calm Mind" state, where she cannot move anymore, and is focusing instead, while in this state, using any other button will unleash an attack
The Normal Attack button will unleash Moonblast, the Special attack button make her use Psychic, and finally the Shield Button make her use Fairy Burst, three special attack that she cannot access otherwise, and that can be pretty useful and deadly due to the cost of being stopped to use them

Sorry for the lengthy post haha, I was just pretty exited to share due to really enjoying the making of those movesets! Don't be afraid to ask me the full moveset of any of those character if you're curious!

BlackInk

Smash Lord
It's literally her XB2 design, that's it. They're not going to use a game-specific design and then not credit the owners of that game. It's not rocket science. Her previous figures always credited what game they originated from too.

I feels like you completely skipped over me. I didn’t say anything about credits. I talked about the questionable marketing for her, since it didn’t seem like audiences would be familiar with her in Nintendo brands.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They could've had the KOS-MOS figure because the manufacturing company sought out the license, the catalyst isn't even always the IP holders.

We can't assume where the impetus stems, all we can do is note the existence of the figure and observe how the copyright is split. But even then we don't glean much since Nintendo/Monolith could be there simply because of Xenoblade and not own any part of KOS-MOS' design. Or they could co-own it. Namco still owns the actual character. Ultimately we don't know enough to draw any reasonable conclusions.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The company itself is listing the figure as part of XC2, as seen here.

It's nothing noteworthy. None of this implies anything important about KOS-MOS that we need to know for Smash speculation. She's not first-party, and Namco still have the rights.
Well, they announced the figure at around 2018, when dlc fighters were being chosen. There was also a 2018 Xenosaga 3 copyright that occurred around that time as well.
They could've had the KOS-MOS figure because the manufacturing company sought out the license, the catalyst isn't even always the IP holders.

We can't assume where the impetus stems, all we can do is note the existence of the figure and observe how the copyright is split. But even then we don't glean much since Nintendo/Monolith could be there simply because of Xenoblade and not own any part of KOS-MOS' design. Or they could co-own it. Namco still owns the actual character. Ultimately we don't know enough to draw any reasonable conclusions.
Once again, my comment was more about why they stored Kosmos figures in the first place than right nonsense. Companies strive to make a profit, so what do they see with the Nintendo audience?

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I feels like you completely skipped over me. I didn’t say anything about credits. I talked about the questionable marketing for her, since it didn’t seem like audiences would be familiar with her in Nintendo brands.
Familiarity isn't the issue, they're not thinking "how can we display this to the most people". It's the XB2 design so it gets XB2 branding and put in with the other Nintendo merchandise. The branding is pure legality, and that's not going to stop people who wanted to buy a Kosmos statue from buying a Kosmos statue. These things are limited run, it's not like there's going to be a surplus and they'll regret making so many.

There's no need to overthink it. Namco own everything relating to Xenosaga, Monolith Soft have no ownership over it whatsoever, but Nintendo own XB2 and Monolith Soft made it so they have to acknowledge all parties.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, they announced the figure at around 2018, when dlc fighters were being chosen. There was also a 2018 Xenosaga 3 copyright that occurred around that time as well.

Once again, my comment was more about why they stored Kosmos figures in the first place than right nonsense. Companies strive to make a profit, so what do they see with the Nintendo audience?
It's from Xenoblade so they stuck it with the other Nintendo games.

They stick the third-party amiibo with the first-party amiibo too.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Familiarity isn't the issue, they're not thinking "how can we display this to the most people". It's the XB2 design so it gets XB2 branding and put in with the other Nintendo merchandise.

There's no need to overthink it. Namco own everything relating to Xenosaga, Monolith Soft have no ownership over it whatsoever, but Nintendo own XB2 and Monolith Soft made it so they have to acknowledge all parties.
Can you stop talking about ownership? I honestly haven’t brought it up once.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Can you stop talking about ownership? I honestly haven’t brought it up once.
I don't know what you want me to say. You're asking why it's with the Nintendo products and I'm saying it's because it's from a Nintendo game.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Not sure how much good KOS-MOS being listed there does for her reputation when that list also includes Amaterasu from Okami. Last I check, Amaterasu isn't strictly a Nintendo character either.

Anyway, the lack of a Game Awards reveal sure has thrown speculation into quite a loop, hasn't it?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Not sure how much good KOS-MOS being listed there does for her reputation when that list also includes Amaterasu from Okami. Last I check, Amaterasu isn't strictly a Nintendo character either.

Anyway, the lack of a Game Awards reveal sure has thrown speculation into quite a loop, hasn't it?
The Amaterasu isn't in the same display case, to my knowledge.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Really shouldn't have. All it really means is that we might have to wait another month or so before we know who Fighter #5 is. Doesn't change much.

I guess you could argue the VGAs would've been the perfect place to reveal certain characters, but this thread was talking nonstop about KOS-MOS before it began, so...

BlackInk

Smash Lord

Okami has a lot more formality and exposure with the Nintendo audience than Kosmos. I mean, Kosmos does have xenoblade 2, but I don’t expect to see a figure of her this quickly.
Really shouldn't have. All it really means is that we might have to wait another month or so before we know who Fighter #5 is. Doesn't change much.

I guess you could argue the VGAs would've been the perfect place to reveal certain characters, but this thread was talking nonstop about KOS-MOS before it began, so...
We have a lacking amount of new news. We have to dig some stuff in for the potential contenders and it happens that Kosmos is one it them. I brought her up because of Jon’s odd behavior, especially with how the TGA turn out without any smash reveals, and the unexplained Nintendo photos.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
The Amaterasu isn't in the same display case, to my knowledge.
If it's XB2 KOS-MOS, then of course they're going to be in the same box. That doesn't confirm her for Smash.

IMO, people were determined to figure out who'd be worthy of revealing in TGA - but now we've got to decide who wouldn't have fit as a Game Awards announcement. Seems like a big loop to me.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
If it's XB2 KOS-MOS, then of course they're going to be in the same box. That doesn't confirm her for Smash.
Never said it did. I was answering your question. The article listed figures relevant to Nintendo fans because of the website it came from.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think anyone was suggesting that putting Xenoblade content in the same display case as other Nintendo game content meant anything for Smash, apart from probably BlackInk.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone was suggesting that putting Xenoblade content in the same display case as other Nintendo game content meant anything for Smash, apart from probably BlackInk.
Not even I am suggesting that.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
This day, in 2015, was the final Smash Bros presentation.

I mention this so that you don't fall for anyone reposting the Twitter post announcing it.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Okay, Sakurai will do a smash presentation today at 2 pm. What? That’s silly.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Not directly relating to anything being discussed right now, but remember how around August, everyone was so very sure that FP4 and FP5 would be Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Lad, and how one of them would totally be shown off at the Game Awards?

Speculation sure has come far since that.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Not directly relating to anything being discussed right now, but remember how around August, everyone was so very sure that FP4 and FP5 would be Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Lad, and how one of them would totally be shown off at the Game Awards?

Speculation sure has come far since that.
Eh, between E3 and the September Direct i've also seen people going on and on about how the last two characters would have from Resident Evil and Tekken, using stuff like the "Mii costume theory" and the fact that those two were "the last major Japanese franchise that have yet to be represented with a character in Smash"...and that didn't pan out well.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Eh, between E3 and the September Direct i've also seen people going on and on about how the last two characters would have from Resident Evil and Tekken, using stuff like the "Mii costume theory" and the fact that those two were "the last major Japanese franchise that have yet to be represented with a character in Smash"...and that didn't pan out well.
The mii costume theory is still relevant for Namco, but not for resident evil.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I think it threw things for a loop because someone in the leakers chain of info didn't want to admit they had no clue who character 5 (because there was nothing at TGA) was so we started the stupidest game of 50 questions ever.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I think it threw things for a loop because someone in the leakers chain of info didn't want to admit they had no clue who character 5 (because there was nothing at TGA) was so we started the stupidest game of 50 questions ever.
I think the leakers know the character, but they are terrified to crap to leak it. It doesn’t seem to be a big character cause of the TGA situation. So, what if it’s a Namco character and a that’s why the character is relatively unknown in the industry, because they practically have every resource within the studio.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
FP5 best be good but I bet we'll just get a new Link.
Is it finally time for the best Link?
Figma 12 2.PNG

Complete with the Ice Rod, Fire Rod, Tornado Rod, Hammer, Pegasus Boots, and a Spin Attack that allows you to move while charging? It's about time!

It didn't happen, but I actually really wanted to see ALBW or ALttP Link in Ultimate.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So I did some digging around the Smash website with wayback machine, to figure out how long before a character announcement the little "New!" tag on the character tab usually disappears. And, well, I didn't get much information out of that based on DLC alone. The tag for Joker disappeared on the 31st of May it seems, with Hero and B&K being announced on the 11th. The tag for them appeared from the character tab around the time that Hero was released, and the one for the stage tab seems to have stayed up until Terry was revealed.
As for pre-release: After the website launched at last year's E3, there was no tag at all. After that, the tag seems to have disappeared about a week before Isabelle's reveal. For Kencineroar I can't really tell, because there isn't any usable data from October.

So my bottom line is, since that tag is still up on the website right now a reveal this month really doesn't seem likely, and unless they wisened up on that letting us know when reveals are imminent.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 253119
Complete with the Ice Rod, Fire Rod, Tornado Rod, Hammer, Pegasus Boots, and a Spin Attack that allows you to move while charging? It's about time!

It didn't happen, but I actually really wanted to see ALBW or ALttP Link in Ultimate.
Actually really wouldnt mind that.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
View attachment 253119

Complete with the Bow, Bombs, Boomerang, and a Spin Attack for recovery.

Fixed that for you. >_>

CureParfait

Smash Ace
BONUS: It's time for a new game! If you could make a new Fighter's Pass but it can only include 4th Party characters, who would you choose? Grey area characters such as Geralt are allowed.

1. Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher)
2. Shrek (Shrek)
3. Minoru Mineta (My Hero Academia)
4. Jar Jar Binks (Star Wars)
5. Kermit the Frog (The Muppets)
1. Senor Hasbeena (Mucha Lucha)
2. Bakugou Katsuki (My Hero Academia)
3. Reiji (Gundam Buildfighters)
4. Hagoromo Lala/Cure Milky (Star Twinkle Precure)
5. Akatsuki Kirika (Symphogear)

SKX31

Smash Master
BONUS: It's time for a new game! If you could make a new Fighter's Pass but it can only include 4th Party characters, who would you choose? Grey area characters such as Geralt are allowed.

1. Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher)
2. Shrek (Shrek)
3. Minoru Mineta (My Hero Academia)
4. Jar Jar Binks (Star Wars)
5. Kermit the Frog (The Muppets)
My actually serious list:

1. Batman [Arkham version]
2. Sailor Moon [Sailor Moon S - one of Arc System Works' earliest games, and that game's still played competively to this day.]
3. James Bond [GoldenEye 007 primarily, all other Bonds as alts]
4. Twilight Sparkle [Primarily because she'd be a really unique addition gameplaywise]
5. Darth Vader [Personal favorite 4th party.]

I'd also kinda prefer that over the Young Link we got, but if Sakurai's going with the "Everyone is here" mantra Young and Toon Link are neccesary.

If anything, his best chance might be Smash 6... but that is so far off right now. It's a shame really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom