• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
That looks fake, I couldn't exactly tell since I'm on mobile right now, but the switch dock on that video for its thumbnail looks like it's not even on, if it was it should be glowing green instead of just being dimmed down.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Wow that's a really well made fake. I hope this guy keeps working on his talent because that could be used to make some good stuff in the future.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That looks fake, I couldn't exactly tell since I'm on mobile right now, but the switch dock on that video for its thumbnail looks like it's not even on, if it was it should be glowing green instead of just being dimmed down.
For the record, the Switch was actually on.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
The dock is on, the models are original, the "animated" crowd is in attendance, Spring Man is in the correct stance and the range on his backair is absurd. Little Mac is NOTHING like this. Spring Stadium is also accurate down to the last detail and there's a possibility that this is the omega version. If nothing else, this leak looks very believable.

StormC

Smash Hero
Seems really clear to me that Spring Man's model is lacking bones. It's a nice leak though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Seems really clear to me that Spring Man's model is lacking bones. It's a nice leak though.
And here I thought he was made of springs. :p

But yeah, that is odd. And may be the deal breaker. On the other hand, Decidueye is an original model.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
What if I told you it's fake simply because I don't believe Spring Man will be playable in the base game...

StormC

Smash Hero
Spring-Man being in Smash would be unprecedented in terms of adding a brand new unproven IP before it was released.

Not saying it can't happen but the odds aren't in his favor.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We do know early builds of games has many differences. So him looking a bit off isn't a "clear fake". It might be one, but he just seems unfinished. Or if Spring Man was added late, which is possible due to having a game series quite a bit later than some(especially if Smash development started quite a bit earlier than ARMS' release did, or just its development alone), he could just seem unfinished cause he literally is. Let's remember that early footage had errors like Waluigi being in the Wario series. So things like this aren't really an obvious fake even then.

More stuff being pointed out had led me to think this might be real. At least the video. The screenshots look doctored to me.

StormC

Smash Hero
If Decidueye was in the game, I don't think they would have his pose obscure his face like that. Because of his hood, he would probably need to face the camera partially like Dedede.

There's too much easy fake leak stuff in here for me, like showing one of the simplest animations possible instead of something more complicated (or god forbid, attack Decidueye and display multiple animations). I also don't buy the model being unfinished this far into development for a playable character.

Also a good link about it.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
The main thing that irked me with the leak was probably the idle animation for Spring Man. I just thought it looked way too choppy for a Smash game.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Theres a lot of things that make this leak look odd, but it looks nice visually at least

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who are the potential samurai-archetype newcomers?
Off the top of my head, Lyn, Takamaru, and to a much less likely extent, Samurai Goroh.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Who are the potential samurai-archetype newcomers?
Takamaru would be the best possible choice for the Samurai archetype...

A lot of folks seem to see him as a frontrunner that could fullfill the retro pick for this game...and while he's more or less obscure to Western audiences he's gained in popularity over the past few years...

D

Deleted member

Off the top of my head, Lyn, Takamaru, and to a much less likely extent, Samurai Goroh.
Wandering Samurai from Rhythm Heaven, too.

Assuming that Chorus Kids didn't negate the chances of any other character.

David James

Smash Cadet
Lyn is less likley cause of fire emblem complaints, people don't seem to realize that only three fe characters were planned for the original game.
Marth
Robin
Ike

Lucina was just a model that was made from extra time and was easy to program., Its like having three days to take a vacation, you can take a trip to another state but you can't go to another counry, might as well go to another state instead of doing nothing.

Roy, popular character requested as dlc

Corrin, probably an order from Nintendo to promote the next game

So fe was originally supposed to have tree reps, it was just a happy accident it ended up with six

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lyn is less likley cause of fire emblem complaints, people don't seem to realize that only three fe characters were planned for the original game.
Marth
Robin
Ike

Lucina was just a model that was made from extra time and was easy to program., Its like having three days to take a vacation, you can take a trip to another state but you can't go to another counry, might as well go to another state instead of doing nothing.

Roy, popular character requested as dlc

Corrin, probably an order from Nintendo to promote the next game

So fe was originally supposed to have tree reps, it was just a happy accident it ended up with six
I don't think that makes a Fire Emblem newcomer less likely this time around though, mainly because I'm anticipating at least Roy getting cut, and possibly one of Lucina and Corrin (the former depends on how far her massive popularity vs minuscule workload gets her, the latter depends on whether Sakurai sees the backlash she caused as severe or not).

That being said I still don't think we'd get Lyn even if we did get a Fire Emblem newcomer.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
DK representation would be perfect with Dixie Kong and King K. Rool added.

Also Cranky and Rambi should be assist trophies, DK currently has none. Cranky would ramble on about the fighters similar to Resetti in Brawl and Rambi would charge around the stage.

I don't think that makes a Fire Emblem newcomer less likely this time around though, mainly because I'm anticipating at least Roy getting cut, and possibly one of Lucina and Corrin (the former depends on how far her massive popularity vs minuscule workload gets her, the latter depends on whether Sakurai sees the backlash she caused as severe or not).

That being said I still don't think we'd get Lyn even if we did get a Fire Emblem newcomer.
I doubt there'll be any FE newcomer:
  • They won't add an older character like Lyn, Sakurai always go for the newer series for newcomers and unlike other older characters like K. Rool no FE characters (besides Roy who got in) got enough support in the ballot.
  • Alm or Celica won't get in. Sakurai never added Young Link as DLC when MM 3D released the same year and FE echoes released a year after the roster was made.
  • Sakurai added Robin and Lucina because Awakening had just come out and was the most recent game when he made the roster. When he made the roster for this game in 2016 the most recent FE games was Fates which already has Corrin.
  • They won't add an original character from Warriors or Heroes.
  • The roster was made way too early to add an FE Switch rep

Last edited by a moderator:

David James

Smash Cadet
We don't know when the roster was finalized though, right now all we have is speculation, plus we don't know when fe switch started development.

Besides the Iceclimbers I don't think we have any idea what returning veterans/newcomers are coming. All we can do is see that 1. The amount of characters in the roster has increased substantially and 2. The amount of stages has also increased. Same with trophies and the soundtrack. Whoever doesn't think the roster will expand greatly again is kidding themselves. Historically the only characters that have been cut are clones (lucario is thought to replace mewtwo I know their different but most people see them as the same.) of other characters, except for Iceclimbers and snake who are special exceptions, they were cut due to limitations and third party diffulculties respectivley.

All fe characters except for Roy and Lucina are unique in their own right, and play very diffrently from one another. What people fail to realize is that relevance has only mattered for pokemon.Or will you tell me that ROB olimar and game and watch dr mario, heck even f-zero isn't relevant anymore(yes I know captain falcon was in more than one installment as well as gane and watch) but you know what keeps them relevant, the fact they came out in smash bros once is what keeps them coming back. That brang back mewtwo and Roy and that is what keeps characters coming back despite popularity. So it doesn't matter recent or not, to Sakurai it doesn't matter if their "relevant enough" to be in the game he wil put them in the game if he wants to or not, yes popularity helps them to get in, but once in they could come back anytime. Characters don't take other character slots all of them are included for a reason and Fire Emblem a once obscure franchise is now mainstream and one of Nintendo's most profitable, does anyone really think it will get a major roster cut and not get new additions even if it is by dlc. Once a character is in they are part of smash history, nay they are part of the smash family and can never be forgotten. If you don't think that much characters will be added than you must know to keep that roster number up and look like an increase they need to keep as much chacters in the game as possible and cutting more characters makes that much more harder. Those that think half of the fe roster will be cut as well as think they won't add that much characters are living in a paradox.This is the era of the Switch, not the failed Wii U, raise your low expectations , because we don't get ported zelda games we get Breath of the Wild, we don't get a mario galaxy three, we get a mario odessey. And we won't get a shared version with the 3ds, we are getting a pedal to the metal full on sequel. Gone are the days of one in a million being nintendo gamers and disapointment from sales. The glory days of the Snes and Wii will soon be upon us, don't try brace yourselves for dissapointment Nintendo is striving for excellence again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I doubt there'll be any FE newcomer:.
  • Alm or Celica won't get in. Sakurai never added Young Link as DLC when MM 3D released the same year and FE echoes released a year after the roster was made.
Shadows of Valentia was supposed to release in late 2016, but got delayed to early 2017. It started development in 2015. And considering how close Sakurai is with Intelligent Systems (to the point where he's more or less an honorary employee) there's no way he didn't go to them to see what they were working on. Timing is not at all an issue for Shadows of Valentia.

And lol there are a LOT more reasons why Young Link didn't get in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please avoid double posting. Edit your messages instead. :)

And lol there are a LOT more reasons why Young Link didn't get in.
I wouldn't say a lot more. But yeah, Toon Link already taking his niche is pretty much the kicker in keeping him out. And since they're both supposed to be traditionally a clone, Young Link being changed up heavily doesn't sound likely. Not even Roy was changed up to the point that he was completely different. He evolved moveset-wise, of course.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
DK representation would be perfect with Dixie Kong and King K. Rool added.

Also Cranky and Rambi should be assist trophies, DK currently has none. Cranky would ramble on about the fighters similar to Resetti in Brawl and Rambi would charge around the stage.

I doubt there'll be any FE newcomer:
  • They won't add an older character like Lyn, Sakurai always go for the newer series for newcomers and unlike other older characters like K. Rool no FE characters (besides Roy who got in) got enough support in the ballot.
  • Sakurai added Robin and Lucina because Awakening had just come out and was the most recent game when he made the roster. When he made the roster for this game in 2016 the most recent FE games was Fates which already has Corrin.
  • They won't add an original character from Warriors or Heroes.
  • The roster was made way too early to add an FE Switch rep
I mean, Sakurai chose Greninja when Gen 6 was still in development, so he could've picked the FE 2018 Switch Game's Protagonist while that was in development as well, which most likely started before Smash Switch's development. Wouldn't be the first time he'd pick a character to promote a future game either as that's what happened with Roy and Corrin during Melee and Smash 4. (At least in the west).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, Sakurai chose Greninja when Gen 6 was still in development, so he could've picked the FE 2018 Switch Game's Protagonist while that was in development as well, which most likely started before Smash Switch's development. Wouldn't be the first time he'd pick a character to promote a future game either as that's what happened with Roy and Corrin during Melee and Smash 4. (At least in the west).
Honestly I think development started way too late on it to factor in. It was announced back in January of 2017 and we still haven't seen so much as a screenshot of it, which makes me think it was a Metroid Prime 4 style announcement.

That's mostly why I'm sure a Fire Emblem newcomer would come from SoV, if anything, since that fits the Greninja situation much better.

David James

Smash Cadet
After Corrin a lot of people would complain if they added another so soon
I think if the roster expands all around no one will complain(in an ideal world but the complaints would lessen by a lot) plus smash and nintendo newcomers wont know about the previous fe situation

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Unpopular opinion here, but I honestly think Lucina is gonna get cut along with Dr. Mario or at least be made back into alternate costumes like they were planned to be, seeming as with each Smash game's cuts, the people who got the bucket kicked were clone characters, the exception to this being Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, Ivysaur, Snake, and Squirtle as they were cut due to system and time restraints (and other business stuff for Snake's case (though time also goes to Roy as well)), though Mewtwo and Lucas came back in Smash 4, with Lucas being a semi-clone of Ness. So unless they can change their moveset or the characters they're clones of get their move sets changed drastically (which most likely is happening with Link and Toon Link, BOTW Link replacing Twilight Link and Toon Link not being a clone due to the removal of Twilight or at least being a semi-clone, that is if he gets back in Smash 5) I think they're gone or at most becoming alts.

I exclude Dark Pit from that however due to the fact he's playable in Uprising's multiplayer as the dark side's hero, and seeming as there are many other weapon types and weapons from uprising not shown that Dark Pit can use in the game mode that isn't in his moveset in Smash, I believe he has a chance of being de-clonned and made into a original character, though he and Lucina are both plot relevant characters in their respective games, they're not exactly mainstays of the series like Ganondorf is to the Legend of Zelda franchise (even though he was mostly just used for the ocarina of time through twilight princess era of Zelda games (arguably in Skyward Sword as well due to Demise being the first incarnation of Ganon/Ganondorf.) and seems to have been dropped since then besides Hyrule Warriors keeping him and other Zelda characters relevant.) so we can't really say they're safe because of story-reasons in their respective games and how big of a role they played in them due to the fact so far it's only just those games and not the series as a whole. That being said, I still think Dark Pit has the chance of being de-cloned and staying in, or at the very least being made into an alternate costume.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly I think development started way too late on it to factor in. It was announced back in January of 2017 and we still haven't seen so much as a screenshot of it, which makes me think it was a Metroid Prime 4 style announcement.

That's mostly why I'm sure a Fire Emblem newcomer would come from SoV, if anything, since that fits the Greninja situation much better.
I think the better comparison to a FE16 character would have been if they included a FE10 character in Brawl. This is because similar how FE10 was released in the same year Brawl was originally intended to, FE16 would be released in the same year Smash Swicth is set to. But we didn't get a FE10 character. We got Ike, and he was heavily derived from Path of Radiance which was released around the same time the Brawl roster was finalised somewhere around 2005 (with one obvious exception).

Heck, Sakurai himself stated that had Awakening been released several months earlier or later, Robin might not have made it in, so timing is extremely important.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If they really wanna make Lucina her own fighter then they should give her the Brave Lucina class she has in the mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes. I think it's also a class she can get from a master seal in Awakening. Basically she's got some armor on now along with a lance and a mini shield. Just another possibility to throw out there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If they really wanna make Lucina her own fighter then they should give her the Brave Lucina class she has in the mobile game Fire Emblem Heroes. I think it's also a class she can get from a master seal in Awakening. Basically she's got some armor on now along with a lance and a mini shield. Just another possibility to throw out there.
Yeah, her Brave design in Heroes is the same as her Great Lord design in Awakening. Honestly I can see them doing that to make her a semiclone should they decide to keep her. She's got the popularity to warrant it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom