• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One Piece is the third biggest comic series in the world(after Superman and Batman respectively, edging out Spiderman even for that third place spot) and the most successful Anime ever, beating even Dragonball so he's definitely "huge". He's technically a bigger deal than Goku even.

I do agree it's an awful idea to throw him in though. Or Goku. Or Naruto, or any other anime character. Let them fight in their own version of the Smash Bros. series whether it's D.O.N, J-Stars or Jump Ultimate Stars.
That’s really just a technicality, you can’t argue that Goku is much more mainstream and would drive more sales.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That’s really just a technicality, you can’t argue that Goku is much more mainstream and would drive more sales.
Sure I can. One Piece manga outsells Dragonball. Ask kids in Japan (and probably America) who they know more about or like more, and I bet Luffy will win.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I will never get over just how much personal opinion/experience drives these discussions.

Just because you haven't personally experienced it doesn't mean the popularity doesn't exist. Luffy is 100% more popular than Goku.

David James

Smash Cadet
Is everyone going to take screenshots of of what people say, so that in E3 when characters are reavealed we can rub it in each other's faces?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is everyone going to take screenshots of of what people say, so that in E3 when characters are reavealed we can rub it in each other's faces?
That would be a pretty rude and immature thing to do.

Then again, I wouldn’t put being rude and immature past anyone on the internet.

StormC

Smash Hero
Sure I can. One Piece manga outsells Dragonball. Ask kids in Japan (and probably America) who they know more about or like more, and I bet Luffy will win.
Goku crushes Luffy outside of Japan in popularity and recognizability. Not even close. Even in Japan they are pretty damn close. Dragon Ball merchandise sales have been extremely strong the last few years. It's sorta unfair to compare manga sales considering One Piece has been running twice as long as Dragon Ball.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It's sorta unfair to compare manga sales considering One Piece has been running twice as long as Dragon Ball.
Besides the fact I don't see how it would be unfair, you are grossly mistaken about how long these manga have been serialized.

StormC

Smash Hero
Besides the fact I don't see how it would be unfair, you are grossly mistaken about how long these manga have been serialized.
I'm talking about their serialization in Shonen Jump...obviously not how long they've been around, period.

Dragon Ball (1984–1995)
One Piece (1997–present)

Anyway. Newcomers.

Anyone else feel like "new Zelda character" is the "new Donkey Kong character" of Smash 5? I feel like if there isn't a Zelda newcomer the fanbase reaction is going to be really bad.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm talking about their serialization in Shonen Jump...obviously not how long they've been around, period.

Dragon Ball (1984–1995)
One Piece (1997–present)
I didn't realize Dragon Ball had stopped serialization so long ago.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Ok, more Questions for you Guys:

A trailer appears at the end of E3, where Kratos and Master Chief are announced as Smash Bros. characters.
1 - Do you think this would be good for the game?
2 - Would that make the game become Multiplatform?
3 - What would be the reaction of the public to this news?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

A trailer appears at the end of E3, where Kratos and Master Chief are announced as Smash Bros. characters.

Public would blow up, pretty much. It'd be unprecedented, especially given Sony's reluctance to even have cross-platform play, never mind actually teaming up with the competition. Microsoft is more open to it, however, but would still borderline break the internet if they got Master Chief in Smash. That being said, there's no way I can see Nintendo going for multiplat for Smash. They keep things like that close to the chest.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

1) Depends. With Sonic, it would be cool to see Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft, and Sony all in one game. However, I'm not a fan of adding tons of 3rd Parties. If it were just Sonic, Master Chief, and Kratos, it would certainly be interesting to see. However, if none of the current 3rd Parties get cut, then I wouldn't want it to happen. Both characters could be made to work, though.

2) No way. I highly doubt we'll be seeing Smash on any other company's system any time soon. Or ever, really.

3) Internet would blow up. Probably larger than it ever has for Smash. You'd get THE Xbox character, and one of THE PlayStation characters. I strongly believe that if either one of these characters made it in, Switches would be flying into the homes of Xbox and PlayStations loyalists.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They don't recognize villager, they're sure as **** not going to recognize Isabelle. Also I assume almost no one recgonzed Jigglypuff, Lucario, or Greninja, since they virtually skipped them.

While I agree that people on this forum are in a ****ing bubble, asking people who barely play video games doesn't exactly prove that.
People seemed to recognize Duck Hunt Dog more than they did with non-Pikachu Pokémon in that video.

David James

Smash Cadet
You know what character hasn't been thought of for smash but would perfect and already has a complete moveset, guardian scout mark 4, from breath of the wild. He fits the new breath of the wild theme like botw link and could play very uniquely. Guardians are the most dangerous zelda enemies and helped inspire the tech theme forml Botw. Probably won't happen but would fit great in smash

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There’s a difference between who’d be best to represent a franchise and who’d be added for no reason. With how many Zelda characters are (a) Actual characters and (b) requested by anyone, adding a generic Guardian would be a complete waste.

And please, R.O.B is only a mook in Subspace Emissary, before that he was a single character. Don’t undersell him.

David James

Smash Cadet
There’s a difference between who’d be best to represent a franchise and who’d be added for no reason. With how many Zelda characters are (a) Actual characters and (b) requested by anyone, adding a generic Guardian would be a complete waste.

And please, R.O.B is only a mook in Subspace Emissary, before that he was a single character. Don’t undersell him.

I do not mean any disrespect by saying this, but I think you fail to realize how iconic the guardian already is, anyway he was just someone that that would make sense not someone who would be likely

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Iconic does not equal being a logical pick. Goombas are iconic, but they wouldn’t make sense in Smash for a menagerie of reasons.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Iconic does not equal being a logical pick. Goombas are iconic, but they wouldn’t make sense in Smash for a menagerie of reasons.
I wouldn't call the Guardians iconic either. There's many who wouldn't recognize them over Moblins or even Octoroks.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Will there be a thread that we can lock in our predictions, given the reveal must be coming soon. There's a few new characters I think will be in, but they don't excite me enough to create a new thread.

David James

Smash Cadet
Who do you think are the top 5 most likely newcomers, and the top 5 least likely(popular characters but not likely to happen)
Most likely for me is
Rex and pyra
Waluigi
Springman
Shovel knight
Decidueye

Least likely if we are going by realism(that means nothing like shrek, goku or hello kitty)
Banjo and kazooie
Krystal
K rule
Ridley
Issac

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Most likely
Spring Man
Rex and Pyra
Takamaru (seems to me that he’s the highest requested retro pick)
Isaac (mainly due to probable ballot placement)
Chorus Kids (Gematsu leak)

Runner up
Simon Belmont (picking a third party was tough, came up with Belmont because Konami might want to push their new iOS game and Season 2 of the show)

Least likely
Ridley (unfortunately)
Labo Man (we all made up our minds that this will be the WTF character, but we’ve seen no indication that Nintendo really thinks that way).
Master Chief
Anyone from Fire Emblem Heroes
Uhhh dunno, DeMille from Tomato Adventure.

Picking likely characters is tough because I don’t feel there’s as many shoe-ins. Picking unlikely characters is tough because there’s so many, so I felt like going after the characters people think are likely for some reason was a good starting point.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Most likely:
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Isabelle
Elma
Decidueye
(all highly relevant during the Wii U period and most Smash Rosters have been heavily based on the previous gens)

Least Likely:
Ridley
Banjo-Kazooie
Sora
A Zelda character. ANY Zelda character.
Chrom

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'll hop on the bandwagon.

Most Likely:
Dixie Kong (relatively easy to implement, high reward to doing so)
Decidueye (obvious choice, popular and applicable)
Elma (timeline suits her very well)
Bandana Dee (he's pretty much the official 4th member of the group)
Rex & Pyra/Mithra (timeline lines up better for Elma but I think they're growing XC as a franchise and Rex/Pyra were surely through development early enough for the roster to be thrown around with 'XC2 MC' penciled into the production plan with enough time to develop them fully when fleshed out by Monolith)

Least Likely: The first 5 that stand out as low probability when I sort this forum by most replies:
Ridley (too big, Sakurai has relegated him to other representation, he'll be in the game as a stage boss and major figure if a story mode returns)
Krystal (vocal group of fans who like a side character from what is essentially a side game in the series)
Isaac (unless they want to return to GS someway he's not happening, they cut his trophy from 4)
Shantae (too low key to be a 3rd party rep, I like her but it's tough)
Banjo & Kazooie (had to skip past a few threads of characters I'm iffy on like high profile 3rd parties and Lip who I'm not knowledgable on at all, but the series died)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Fun fact, I have completed my video for Empoleon! Leave me a comment about your thoughts on him as a character in Smash. Unlikely, sure, but could be fun!

(in link you can also find links to other videos, such as my JUST RELEASED INFINITY WAR movie with full LGBTQ spin, fetishes and all).

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Who's the most iconic/biggest/most deserving Pokemon potential newcomer? Most deserving Fire Emblem potential newcomer? I'm making a list of all the All Stars that could be added. So far, it's Inkling, Octoling, Dixie Kong, RIdley, Rayman, Toad, Paper Mario, Spring Man, Bandana Dee, Impa, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Tom Nook, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and Minecraft Steve.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Who's the most iconic/biggest/deserving Pokemon? Most deserving Fire Emblem character? I'm making a list of all the All Stars that could be added. So far, it's Inkling, Octoling, Dixie Kong, RIdley, Rayman, Toad, Paper Mario, Spring Man, Bandana Dee, Impa, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Tom Nook, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and Minecraft Steve.
The issue with Pokémon is that the most iconic are all first generation Pokémon, going by name recognition. Guys like the Kanto starters, Meowth, Eevee, Magikarp, Gyarados, Ditto and so forth. But that's also not really how Pokémon get into Smash. Folks like the Alola starters, Mimikyu, and maybe the Ultra Beasts would be more fitting in Smash at this point in time. My personal pick is Decidueye.

Fire Emblem is similar in that regard. The series is much more niche than Pokémon as well, but generally Smash sticks to main lord characters. So in that regard, folks like Chrom, Alm, Celica, Lyn, Hector, Eliwood, Eirika, Ephraim, Micaiah, Sigurd, Seliph, and Leif, as well as Alfonse and Sharena for Heroes, are all of equal importance to the ones we have within their own games. Certain lords in particular have high popularity within the Fire Emblem fanbase, namely those with international releases for obvious reasons. Of them I believe Celica has the best case for getting into Smash.

But just in general, the notion that a character is "deserving" is kind of a nothing statement. At the end of the day, only Sakurai can be an unbiased judge of that since he decides the roster, so saying any current character is undeserving is kind of fallacious. I'd advise against using it as an inclusion criterion.

D

Deleted member

Who's the most iconic/biggest/most deserving Pokemon potential newcomer? Most deserving Fire Emblem potential newcomer? I'm making a list of all the All Stars that could be added. So far, it's Inkling, Octoling, Dixie Kong, RIdley, Rayman, Toad, Paper Mario, Spring Man, Bandana Dee, Impa, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Tom Nook, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and Minecraft Steve.
Then you gotta have the best all-star
:troll:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For me, the most iconic Pokémon not in Smash already is Meowth, and the biggest FE characters not already in are Lyn and Chrom.

Also Steve? Smh

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
At the end of the day, only Sakurai can be an unbiased judge of that since he decides the roster, so saying any current character is undeserving is kind of fallacious. I'd advise against using it as an inclusion criterion.
Sakurai isn't unbiased. Perhaps you meant that Sakurai's bias is the only one that matters (assuming he is choosing the characters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom